HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Canadian Politics Part VIII: The Nifty Extended Thread Title Edition

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2014, 07:53 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
And the Senate expense fun continues. Does not look good when you defy your own party and go on a trip and then expense it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/don-...aims-1.2584930

Old
03-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
And the Senate expense fun continues. Does not look good when you defy your own party and go on a trip and then expense it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/don-...aims-1.2584930
But, but, but... God approved the trip and expense claim.

How dare the Conservative Senate whip's office interfere with God's work.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
But, but, but... God approved the trip and expense claim.

Then tell God to take it out of petty cash!

Old
03-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
They usually don't, that's how Duffy got appointed.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
God is never petty... for shame.

Old
03-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Uhhh... this magnificent feast here represents the last of the petty cash.

Old
03-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Puck
Ninja

Sounds more like the Pastor ran afoul of the Senate CPC leadership when he didn't listen to NO, then he still had the nerve to submit a claim. Doesn't sound like he made a vow of poverty either, he seems to have a wee sweet tooth for luxury, travel and fine suits. Doesn't look like it was official business, if he wants to rub shoulders with religious-right types for personal reasons in DC, Skype is cheaper. And since God is supposedly 'everywhere', the Pastor didn't really have to go to DC to have his prayers heard...I doubt the Almighty reception to prayer is better in DC than Ottawa, but I could be wrong.

Is this clown another Harper appointee?

Old
03-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Sounds more like the Pastor ran afoul of the Senate CPC leadership when he didn't listen to NO, then he still had the nerve to submit a claim. Doesn't sound like he made a vow of poverty either, he seems to have a wee sweet tooth for luxury, travel and fine suits. Doesn't look like it was official business, if he wants to rub shoulders with religious-right types for personal reasons in DC, Skype is cheaper. And since God is supposedly 'everywhere', the Pastor didn't really have to go to DC to have his prayers heard...I doubt the Almighty reception to prayer is better in DC than Ottawa, but I could be wrong.

Is this clown another Harper appointee?
With a quote like this:

Quote:
In a written statement, Meredith said that being a pastor was “an important part of why I was asked to serve" and that sometimes he must find “efficient ways to reconcile my spiritual vocation as part of my public duties."
Obviously.

Old
03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Wetcoaster

News1130 ‏@News1130radio
'@JustinTrudeau publishing personal memoir this fall,covering childhood through to current career on Parliament Hill. Proceeds go to charity

That should be a quick read - little substance and few accomplishments.

Old
03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
News1130 ‏@News1130radio
'@JustinTrudeau publishing personal memoir this fall,covering childhood through to current career on Parliament Hill. Proceeds go to charity

You'd think Trudeau would be turned off to the idea of charitable endeavors after the CPC so shamelessly used his "striptease" against him.

Old
03-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
News1130 ‏@News1130radio

In your case, avoid opening at all cost. If there are any drama-teacher pics inside, I'm worried your head will spin around like Linda Blair in The Exorcist.

Old
03-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
News1130 ‏@News1130radio

In that case, buy 20 copies. It'll support charitable causes and you'll line your birdcage for years.

Old
03-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Puck
Ninja

It's pretty wild and devious marketing. It isn't about accomplishment, it's about marketing star power and celebrity status. The CPC have pre-election campaign ads, the Liberals will put this out and people will pay for it. CPC strategists are mostly monarchist and should be concerned about inherited celebrity star power over skill and accomplishment, what has Prince William done other than fly a helicopter, and yet he and Kate seem to be doing ok...

Old
03-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Free Kassian

Inherited celebrity and star power are fine if you're a conservative or somebody conservatives like. Heck, just look at Preston Manning. He was their guy for years and was the son of an Alberta Premier and did literally nothing of note for decades before founding a protest party.

Last edited by Free Kassian: 03-25-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old
03-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Torts View Post
Inherited celebrity and star power are fine if you're a conservative or somebody conservatives like. Heck, just look at Preston Manning. He was their guy for years and was the son of an Alberta Premier, did literally nothing of note for decades before founding a protest party.
Kennedys in the US, Bush family (I doubt Jr. the idiot would have made it as a Jones), who knew Hillary before Bill....

Conservatives should be wooing Mulroney's son, or Clarke's daughter (might happen some day). I hope Poilievre has no offspring.

p.s. oh yeah, people in Quebec also remembered Jack Layton's father and that broke some ice for the NDP.

Old
03-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Wetcoaster

As noted in the prior thread, last week the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the appointment Federal Court of Appeal Justice Marc Nadon did not meet the constitutional requirements to satisfy his appointment as one of three Quebec judges on the SCOC.

The Supreme Court Act requires that nominees for one of Quebec’s three seats on the high court be a member of the Quebec provincial bar, a member of the province’s Superior Court or a judge on the Quebec Court of Appeals. The top court said a Supreme Court nominee from the province had to be a current member of any of those bodies, which Mr. Justice Nadon was not as he sat on the Federal Court of Canada.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...postcount=1018

BTW the SCOC also noted that changing the qualifications for a Quebec appointment would require a constitutional amendment and that does not seem to be in the cards.

The CPC government professed shock because they had sought the advice of retired SCOC Justice Ian Binnie who had apparently said Mr. Justice Nadon was eligible.
Prime Minister Harper accepts that the SCOC has spoken and thet he will comply with the letter and spirit of the ruling.

"What I can tell you is this: we're obviously going to respect the decision," Harper told a news conference following the conclusion of the two-day Nuclear Security Summit in The Hague.

"We'll respect not just the letter of the decision. We will respect the spirit of the decision as well."
"We had commissioned expert opinion on it which was completely contrary to the decision," Harper said.

"But, look, that said, that's the decision. We're still examining the decision. We haven't taken a decision on who the candidate will be. We haven't even taken a decision on taking a decision on the process."
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Gov...#ixzz2x1XzpBct

Old
03-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Coyne thought the SCOC ruling was ridiculous but he strikes me as the kind of guy who would hate the SCOC because it isn't elected

He did bring up some arguments from the dissenting voice that sounded reasonnable. I will have to take the time and read it tomorrow

Old
03-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Puck
Ninja

I'm not a lawyer and didn't follow this closely but just off the cuff, looks to me like the SC decision is the fundamental literal one, the Harper govt. was trying to broaden the Constitutional interpretation. There may be various good reasons to broaden the interpretation, to increase the nomination pool, I don't know. The SC told them to make changes via the official amending formula, not try doing it through the backdoor (the backdoor was easier of course, the front door has many locks on it).

Harper said: "We had commissioned expert opinion on it which was completely contrary to the decision." This might not be the best example but it reminds me of a Bush Administration ploy to get a legal opinion on the Geneva Conventions to get approval for enhanced interrogation techniques (torture). They get the legal memo they paid for (the interpretation they seeked) and then they run with it (see John Yoo memos). Now I don't want to compare this stunt to the torture stunt, but it is the only analogy that comes to mind (because it was so big in the US).

The SC was literally correct of course. I am not saying it is a bad idea though to broaden the nomination pool for judges, but 'la loi c'est la loi'. And it is Harper that is activist in this case, I thought conservatives disliked judicial activism (unless they do it of course, like Manning hereditary celebrity).

Old
03-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
I'm not a lawyer and didn't follow this closely but just off the cuff, looks to me like the SC decision is the fundamental literal one, the Harper govt. was trying to broaden the Constitutional interpretation. There may be various good reasons to broaden the interpretation, to increase the nomination pool, I don't know. The SC told them to make changes via the official amending formula, not try doing it through the backdoor (the backdoor was easier of course, the front door has many locks on it).

Harper said: "We had commissioned expert opinion on it which was completely contrary to the decision." This might not be the best example but it reminds me of a Bush Administration ploy to get a legal opinion on the Geneva Conventions to get approval for enhanced interrogation techniques (torture). They get the legal memo they paid for (the interpretation they seeked) and then they run with it (see John Yoo memos). Now I don't want to compare this stunt to the torture stunt, but it is the only analogy that comes to mind (because it was so big in the US).

The SC was literally correct of course. I am not saying it is a bad idea though to broaden the nomination pool for judges, but 'la loi c'est la loi'. And it is Harper that is activist in this case, I thought conservatives disliked judicial activism (unless they do it of course, like Manning hereditary celebrity).
In this case the expert opinion came from a retired SCOC Justice Ian Binnie (he was on the bench for 13 years from 1998 to 2011).

IIRC the US situation the advice given came from government in-house lawyers not retired SCOTUS justices.

Also this does not mean that Harper cannot appoint Nadon, he can do so just not as one of the three designated Quebec judges on the bench where the qualifications are constitutionally entrenched.

BTW this case may also give an indication of how the SCOC may treat the Senate Reference case where the Harper government is seeking to make significant changes to the Senate without constitutional amendments.

Old
03-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
In this case the expert opinion came from a retired SCOC Justice Ian Binnie (he was on the bench for 13 years from 1998 to 2011).

IIRC the US situation the advice given came from government in-house lawyers not retired SCOTUS justices.

Also this does not mean that Harper cannot appoint Nadon, he can do so just not as one of the three designated Quebec judges on the bench where the qualifications are constitutionally entrenched.

BTW this case may also give an indication of how the SCOC may treat the Senate Reference case where the Harper government is seeking to make significant changes to the Senate without constitutional amendments.
No matter where the 'advice' was found, the procedural strategy is similar. Get a legal head (the more influential the better) to agree with you on paper (the less partisan the better) and run with it.

The CPC talking points were also messaging that there was supposed unanimous agreement at the House Committee level. Committee members also disagree with that 'assessment'.

The 'innocent' plea, "oh we thought it straightforward and obvious" doesn't really wash, there was more premeditated reasoning for this behind the scenes at the political level. I will agree with you that this SC decision does foreshadow more disappointment at the PMO for their Constitution reform strategies.

Eventually, the Constitutional ratios that Quebec enjoys will have to be revisited (when those ratios become too lopsided). But it should be done upfront. Quebec will probably extract other concessions in return. Perhaps more independence on some matters they don't enjoy now and subsequently more power could devolve to all the provinces equally. Harper is trying hard to do some things immediately, but perhaps he will have to accept grudgingly that isn't for now, it isn't for his time.

Old
03-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
No matter where the 'advice' was found, the procedural strategy is similar. Get a legal head (the more influential the better) to agree with you on paper (the less partisan the better) and run with it.

The CPC talking points were also messaging that there was supposed unanimous agreement at the House Committee level. Committee members also disagree with that 'assessment'.

The 'innocent' plea, "oh we thought it straightforward and obvious" doesn't really wash, there was more premeditated reasoning for this behind the scenes at the political level. I will agree with you that this SC decision does foreshadow more disappointment at the PMO for their Constitution reform strategies.

Eventually, the Constitutional ratios that Quebec enjoys will have to be revisited (when those ratios become too lopsided). But it should be done upfront. Quebec will probably extract other concessions in return. Perhaps more independence on some matters they don't enjoy now and subsequently more power could devolve to all the provinces equally. Harper is trying hard to do some things immediately, but perhaps he will have to accept grudgingly that isn't for now, it isn't for his time.
It very much matters who is providing the expert opinion.

Old
03-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
It very much matters who is providing the expert opinion.
Maybe if they had lifted Bora Laskin out of his grave and he agreed, the court would have been more impressed.

Old
03-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Maybe if they had lifted Bora Laskin out of his grave and he agreed, the court would have been more impressed.
Justice Binnie was very well-respected for his reasoning and opinions.

And like Laskin he never sat as a judge in the lower courts before his SCOC appointment.

Old
03-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Howard Beale

Has there been another Tory fib regarding the Unfair Elections Act?

Conservative MP Laurie Hawn (Edmonton Centre) claims that there was potential fraud with the voter information cards in the 2006 election, ie. people using other people's cards as ID to vote. However Elections Canada says that voter information cards were actually not accepted as a form of ID in the 2006 election.

http://www.hilltimes.com/news/politi...ge_requested=1

Quote:
PARLIAMENT HILL—A second Conservative MP has come forward in Parliament with allegations of suspected wrongdoing over voter ID in a past election, in this case eight years ago, as prominent electoral experts warned MPs that a government plan to eliminate vouching for electors with insufficient ID would be unconstitutional.

But as with the first Conservative allegation of alleged electoral violations, when Conservative MP Brad Butt (Mississauga-Streetsville, Ont.) had to later retract his statement in the Commons as being hearsay rather than a first-hand account of trickery at the polls, the new allegations, from Alberta MP Laurie Hawn (Edmonton Centre, Alta.), have also come under scrutiny.

Mr. Hawn told the Commons on Monday, the day prior to the expert testimony on the government’s controversial election legislation, Bill C-23, that during the 2006 federal election period he was “called personally and offered hundreds of voter cards that had been left in apartment buildings and so on.”

“Like an idiot, I said, ‘No, we don't do that sort of thing,’ ” he said.

“I should have said, ‘Yes, come on down,’ and had the police waiting,” Mr. Hawn said during debate over the legislation, which also proposes to end the use of voter information cards as acceptable proof of residence.

Along with the elimination of vouching, where neighbours or relatives of voters in the same polling division can vouch for electors without ID, who then must swear an oath they are who they claim to be and are eligible to cast ballots in that district, a prohibition of the voter information card as acceptable ID for proof of address, is at the root of one of the biggest controversies involving the constitutional right of Canadian citizens to vote.

Mr. Butt claimed in the House of Commons two days after the government tabled the legislation on Feb. 4 that he had witnessed campaign workers in a past election period scooping up voter information cards in an apartment lobby and handing them over to “other people, who will then be vouched for at a voting booth and vote illegally.”

Mr. Butt retracted the statement two weeks later, reportedly after a complaint had been filed to Elections Canada. The NDP later accused him of breaching MP privileges with his original comment.

After attending the Procedure and House Affairs Committee session on Tuesday as an observer MP, not taking part as a member of the committee, Mr. Hawn did not take questions about his statement, declining an interview with The Hill Times and avoiding journalists prior to and after the Commons Question Period.

In the meantime, responding to questions after Mr. Hawn’s comments were mentioned by Conservative MP Scott Reid (Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington, Ont.) in the committee proceedings, Elections Canada told The Hill Times the voter information card was not accepted as voter ID in the 2006 election, when it was used solely as mail-out information to voters about their poll locations and was not required at the polls even as a way to help polling officials direct voters to their polling station ballot box.

Mr. Hawn, approached later during a chance meeting outside a committee room, declined to elaborate about his concern, or take questions about the timing of his statement, so long after the election took place.

Even if this were not a blatant lie, as it appears to be, it is also suspicious that he would fail to report the incident until 8 years after the fact, especially when he appeared at a committee hearing on elections in 2006, just three months after this supposed incident. You'd think it would have been fresh in his memory.

http://openparliament.ca/committees/...laurie-hawn-3/ (I found this in the article's comments section)

Old
03-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
This is whole "voter fraud is a problem" is a complete scham

As Marc Mayrand, Chief Electoral Officer, quite rightly said the problem with our elections isn't voter fraud, it's that not enough people vote

Closed Thread