HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik trade revisited. Brassgod, Moore, and Dorsett

Old
03-20-2014, 04:26 PM
NYRCSKA*

vCash: 500
Gaborik trade revisited. Brassgod, Moore, and Dorsett

Gaborik point totals this year
8 goals, 9 assists, 17 points

Brassgod
15-24-39

Moore
3-10-13

Dorsett
1000000X tougher than Gaborik.

Does anyone think that we committed highway robbery with that trade.

NYRCSKA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 04:32 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post

Brassgod
15-24-39

Moore
3-10-13

Dorsett

ROFL @ bolded.

I thought it was a good trade then, and it's a good trade now. Not highway robbery, but a solid move. All of those players were replaceable to the Jackets.

03-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Levitate

The main issue is how far off Gaborik fell that year and how the Rangers were hoping for a strong forward group led by Gaborik and Nash and Gaborik ended up suuuuuuuuuuucking. At least they sold at a time where they got some decent players for him.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 04:51 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm not a fan of Dorsett, but Brassard and Moore have been good, so I can't complain. If Gaborik was still here, who knows if he would have been so injured.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 04:55 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Man, I did not want to see Gabby's tenure in NY remembered in this way. Loved him as a player.

SouthJerseyRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Miller Time NYR

That return is sure as **** better than Frattin and a 2nd, if he was still on the team this season I think we would have been looking to trade him and that was his value. I liked the trade then, like it now, and like it even more given his value after this season.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Jersey Girl

It's a good trade, but both Brassard and Moore are terribly inconsistent. When they're playing well you think they've finally put it together, but their game ALWAYS heads south again. Probably why Columbus traded them.

Dorsett - I don't see where he fits in. Carcillo is better at being Dorsett than Dorsett.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I think they certainly sold their shares in Gaborik at the right time.

The return is meh for me. Brassard is a good player, controllable only through next season though. Dorsett is a fine player. I wouldn't bet on Moore ever being a top-4.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I dont particularly like Brassard, Moore, or Dorsett.

But I suppose 3 meh players is better than 1 meh player who used to be really good.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 05:27 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Brass is an alright 2C, very good 3C, who will probably make a lot of money in FA that I don't want to invest in.

Moore was good last year, awful this year.

Dorsett is Brandon Prust if Brandon Prust was bad at what he did and I hated him.

Highway robbery? Eh. It's a good trade, cuz Gabby fell off the planet.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post

Brassgod
15-24-39

Moore
3-10-13

Dorsett

It's pretty important to note that Gaborik has 8 goals, 9 assists, 17 points in 28 games, and not a full season here.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
It's pretty important to note that Gaborik has 8 goals, 9 assists, 17 points in 28 games, and not a full season here.
Well yeah, but at the same time that sentence could just as easily be "He's also only played in 28 games this season."

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Blueblood 2

Love the trade and I really like Brassard's skills. Hope he stays long term. He and Zuc are the best puck handlers on the team.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 07:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
But the 28 games is more damning than the stats.

Love Gabby, and he was one of my favorite Rangers when he was here. He was instrumental to our success in 2011-2012, and I was appalled when people ragged on him for putting up .5 PPG in the playoffs with one shoulder. He's a trooper, and one of the best Rangers of the aughts and early 10's. But he's done in the NHL. Great player, great career, if he was able to avoid injury he'd be a borderline HoFer.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Baby Punisher

I was the first one to voice my displeassure about Gabs being traded. I thought he was treated very unfairly by Torts & for him to waive his no trade to go back to another small market like Columbus spoke volumes.

I did think the return was pretty decent, A 2nd line center/winger who could be a play maker & score goals.

A young puck moving dman

& a grinding tough guy.

3 things that at the time we needed very badly. I don't think had Gabs stayed we would have gone as far as we did in the playoffs. We needed the depth.

Looking now at what Gabs became a year later it's hard not to say we won that trade than & now.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Brassgod, McTruck-Lite and Corsett.

Happy with the first 2, the 3rd was a dud, despite CBJ fans telling us he would be the best piece in the trade

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take; I also miss 100% of the shots that I do take." - Tanner Glass
Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:09 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Had we known that Torts would be out, and AV would be in, I'd not have completed that trade.

Gaborik would have given us a serious logjam at RW this season. Who knows if we give Zucc such a big look with Gabby still here? Maybe we trade Callahan earlier in the season?

It's tough to say with things like this, because it's so hypothetical. So I can only safely say, that knowing that Torts would be leaving the off-season we traded Gaborik, and AV would be coming to town, I'd have not traded Gaborik.

I expect to be in the large minority.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
As much as I loved Gaborik, it was a necessity. The man was falling apart.

03-20-2014, 08:47 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
The man was falling apart.
Still is.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Good trade for us. We would've either needed to re-sign him to another contract in 2014, or trade him beforehand. If we ended up with him injured frequently like he is now, that would not be good.

You have to think his torn labrum, separated shoulder and broken collarbone took something off of his shot. Also, his multiple groin injuries probably affected his skating.

It's sad seeing him go from a top goal scorer in 2011-12 to how he is now.

03-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Fataldogg

And if Gaborik bounces back and scores 40 goals / 80 points next season?

I'm not one of those people who think Gaborik is finished after two injury riddled seasons. He had these all of the time with the Wild.

And a torn labrum surgery is tough to come back from. I had a labrum repair and subacromial decompression on my right shoulder, 2 YEARS AGO, and it's not the same it was prior to the injury.

That said, Gaborik obviously has access to better health care than I being a professional athlete, I'm sure his will eventually reach 95%, and if it does I think he will be back to normal.

No one is ever quite the same after a major surgery. I don't know if people realize that. That's a detriment to him right now and a tough selling point, especially with the numbers, but he has too much scoring ability to not become a significant factor later on if he can stay healthy for an 82 game season.

Still great that he had 5g 6a 11pts with us with a torn labrum in the post season, and scored one of the biggest Rangers goals in recent memory. People were complaining with how Gaborik played, with a torn labrum, and he was still 5x as productive as a 100% Nash. Let that sink in before people criticize Gaborik for being heartless here.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New Originals View Post
Still is.
Much like Callahan would have been if we re-signed him long term.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

I'm not one of those people who think Gaborik is finished after two injury riddled seasons. He had these all of the time with the Wild.

And a torn labrum surgery is tough to come back from. I had a labrum repair and subacromial decompression on my right shoulder, 2 YEARS AGO, and it's not the same it was prior to the injury.

That said, Gaborik obviously has access to better health care than I being a professional athlete, I'm sure his will eventually reach 95%, and if it does I think he will be back to normal.

No one is ever quite the same after a major surgery. I don't know if people realize that. That's a detriment to him right now and a tough selling point, especially with the numbers, but he has too much scoring ability to not become a significant factor later on if he can stay healthy for an 82 game season.

Still great that he had 5g 6a 11pts with us with a torn labrum in the post season, and scored one of the biggest Rangers goals in recent memory. People were complaining with how Gaborik played, with a torn labrum, and he was still 5x as productive as a 100% Nash. Let that sink in before people criticize Gaborik for being heartless here.
I don't see anyone criticizing Gab's at all. I also don't think he is done, but his time as a Ranger was done. If & that's a big IF he is done as a premier goal scorer then he really has no use in the NHL unless he vastly changes his game to become a play maker in a similar fashion that other players have done. However I think we won't know that for a couple of years.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
SnowblindNYR

Geez, I've been in favor of this trade since Brassard's amazing play last year, but can you have any more of an agenda than when you say Dorsett is 1,000 times tougher than Gaborik? They're different players with different roles. Dorsett's not even in the lineup now, how useful is that toughness? What a ridiculous comment to poison a decent thread.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:33 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

If he scores 80 points next season good for him. You can't build a team on wild hypotheticals. I would put good money against him doing that again. Also don't forget his cap hit.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote