HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't expect Isles to roll over for a higher pick

Old
03-23-2014, 02:32 AM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

vCash: 500
Don't expect Isles to roll over for a higher pick

Staple's latest Newsday entry. Highlighting some interesting notes from the article:

Quote:
Not that veterans have any reason to relax. Snow has plans to wheel and deal at the June 27 draft, armed with as many as eight picks in the first four rounds.
1.) Interesting to note. Staple claims that Snow has plans to make some trades at the draft, which is what needs to happen with all of those assets.

Quote:
There have been enough underachievers among the veteran group that some of those Islanders could be moved out this summer.
2.) Another interesting quote. I think the underachievers he's referring to are Bailey, McDonald, and possibly Clutterbuck/Martin (?)

Quote:
Snow has until June 1 to notify the Sabres whether the Islanders are sending this year's first-round pick to Buffalo to complete the Thomas Vanek deal or deferring the pick to 2015. All indications are the Islanders are keeping this year's pick.
3.) Seems that we're holding onto the pick this year, which is the right decision imo.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...medium=twitter

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 02:34 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Let's hope for a solid move at the draft. I doubt they trade their 1st this year though, they'll use that to draft someone.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 02:38 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
2.) Another interesting quote. I think the underachievers he's referring to are Bailey, McDonald, and possibly Clutterbuck/Martin (?)
My money is on Grabner, no way will they pay him 9M over the next 2 seasons when his caphit is 3M

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:01 AM
iLandHer

Good to see Snow is going to look at making deals and deferring that pick. He really has no other option.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:39 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Staple's latest Newsday entry. Highlighting some interesting notes from the article:

1.) Interesting to note. Staple claims that Snow has plans to make some trades at the draft, which is what needs to happen with all of those assets.

3.) Seems that we're holding onto the pick this year, which is the right decision imo.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...medium=twitter

Isles shopped Bailey and CMac at the recent trade deadline. It was reportedly shortly after Lee/Strome came up. Butchie says Bailey drew alot of interest. I wonder what teams kicked the tires on Bailey.
I would think they were low ball offers, since Snow did not move him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:52 AM
IslesNorway

The Isles need a shake up of sorts this summer. As much as people would like Bailey moved, what sort of return would he fetch? A 3rd rounder and no good prospect? I would actually keep Bailey as a 3rd line skilled center over that. He is underperforming badly, but chances are we'll get something worse in return. maybe we all just have to settle down and realize that is what he is, not the high-end guy we believed we were getting.

Grabner is an interesting case as his pay goes up considerably whereas he keeps getting worse every season. Other teams know this but the potential there is immense. If he'd actually learned to score on those breakaways he'd be a 30 goal scorer every season - a proper coach might sort that out. His value alone might not be all that much at some point somebody has to get moved.

CmcD is a dime a dozen player, who holds little value in the trade marked but if we assume next years 4th line will be Cizikas, Martin and Cal, he's the odd one out.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:58 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
We really need to dump Martin. He had a bad year and that's the time to trade him.

Amazing how well loved he was just 1 year ago. If he was on a 2-3 stretch of inept play I could fully understand this argument, HOWEVER, this is not the case.

03-23-2014, 05:14 AM
scott99

I don't mind them trading dead weight (Bailey, McDonald, etc) I don't wanna see the messing around with the draft choices. Make the picks. If they use the extra picks to move up in the draft, fine, as long as that is to make a higher/better pick. Trading those picks for players probably isn't gonna happen, they only have extra 2nds,3rds and 4ths, not 1sts. Unless they trade all of those extra picks to turn into another first, and trade THAT for a player. Don't mess around with that guaranteed top 5 pick, unless you get a true stud player in return. I wanna see Bailey gone, I think McDonald won't get us much. I don't know, hearing Snow will "wheel and deal" at the draft scares the **** out of me, he's so terrible at making trades.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:35 AM
TROLLPOSO

How about firing the inept coach who does not get anything out of his talent first. It will be great to see our guys flourish is actual competent hockey based systems.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Bexlyspeed

Trading picks is all well and good if you can actually make a deal that will help the team. Garth has yet to do that so let's see if this works.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLPOSO View Post
How about firing the inept coach who does not get anything out of his talent first. It will be great to see our guys flourish is actual competent hockey based systems.

That would be the obvious course of action, so you know the Isles aren't going that rout

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Isles Junkie

I don't think McDonald has under achieved at all. He has given us exactly what a player of his skill level is capable of giving us.

Anyway, I don't expect the Isles to roll over. but I do expect a lot more losses. I also don't expect Snow to do anything significant this summer for fairly obvious reasons.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
We really need to dump Martin. He had a bad year and that's the time to trade him.

Amazing how well loved he was just 1 year ago. If he was on a 2-3 stretch of inept play I could fully understand this argument, HOWEVER, this is not the case.
I have no desire to trade Martin. He's a fine 4th liner/middleweight. But the isles are a far more physical group now with Lee, Nelson, Clutterbuck and hell even Grabner & Okposo have thrown their bodies around this year. A few years ago, Martin was the only one who would play physically. So he doesn't stand out as much because what he's bringing is no longer completely unique to the team.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:49 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Several days ago Snow gave a SuriiusXM interview, where he indicated he was sticking with his youth movement. Today's article sounds like the underachieving vets should be looking over their shoulders.

Would anyone really be surprised to see Bailey's $3.3m per or even Grabner 's $4.5m per, replaced by Strome's $1.7m salary or Lee on his 2nd pro contract?

The contracts below are probably too steep, but if these are the types of big names being moved, it will be an interesting off season in the league.

Dreger says Eric Staal($8.2m) , Skinner ($5m-$6m) and Ward($6.7m) are being shopped.

Canucks could put Elder and Kessler on the market. There were TDL rumors they were shopped.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:50 AM
BillD

Bailey is not on our depth chart at 3rd line center, he is already behind Nelson, Frans and Strome.

Grabs is as good as gone with that salary hit over the last 2 years.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:58 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Several days ago Snow gave a SuriiusXM interview, where he indicated he was sticking with his youth movement. Today's article sounds like the underachieving vets should be looking over their shoulders.

Would anyone really be surprised to see Bailey's $3.3m per or even Grabner 's $4.5m per, replaced by Strome's $1.7m salary or Lee on his 2nd pro contract?

The contracts below are probably too steep, but if these are the types of big names being moved, it will be an interesting off season in the league.

Dreger says Eric Staal($8.2m) , Skinner ($5m-$6m) and Ward($6.7m) are being shopped.

Canucks could put Elder and Kessler on the market. There were TDL rumors they were shopped.
Staal gets paid as a 1st tier player, but does not perform like one.

Last edited by beach: 03-23-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: sp
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:00 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:

Clutterbuck has not underachieved and I would argue has been one of the bright spots for this team.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:14 AM
thumb

Although Grabner and Bailey are a bit overpaid, I would hold onto both of them. At this time, if either one of them was traded, they would not give us anything back in return.

Both players have been mismanaged this year by Capuano. Bailey has like 6 goals and he's been on the second line all year and on the second PP unit. How is that possible? Meanwhile, a former 30 goal scorer and one of the fastest players in the league, has been left rotting on the third line. IMO, Grabner, Nelson and Strome should be our second line next season. That should provide secondary scoring. Nielson should be moved to the third line along with Bailey.

Btw, I caught some of the last Islander game and it appeared that Strome playing on the fourth line. Is this true? Even the overrated Nino had better players in his first year with the Isles. If they want Strome to succeed, they gotta let him play with better talent. He'll make some mistakes, but what do we have to lose this year?

Last edited by thumb: 03-23-2014 at 09:26 AM.
thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:24 AM
ScaredStreit

Not deferring the pick to Buffalo is a HUGE mistake. It's going to backfire on us. It's so obvious.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:35 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post

You definitely have some mismatched parts. Anders Lee will be here next season and I assume Strome will as well. That puts us at 12.

McDonald would probably be the first to go to 13th. Not sure why anyone would advocate for a Grabner trade, he can contribute. Matt Martin had a rough start to the season and while his skill set is replaceable I don't think you mess with your heart and soul guys too much. Bailey is tough to slot and it might be time to move on, trade him for another player who is overpaid but struggling and fits better in your line-up. The bottom 6 on this team have some major issues for sure: ES scoring, defense and face-offs. That has to get figured out.

Tavares, Okposo, Nelson, and who else are truly in the top six next season (Lee, Strome)?
Clutterbuck, Grabner, Nielsen and Martin and who else look like locks to be in the bottom six next season and who else?

No goalies?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:42 AM
steveat

I agree, giving up this years pick to Buffalo is the best thing to do. YOU people know our luck. If there is 10 sec left and the faceoff is in their zone and the team needs one more goal to tie us...they will. Even from the other side of the rink. YOu can be certain that 2015 pick of ours will be either McDavid or Eichel.

Anyway..IF this so called rumour is true about Snow apparently getting busy at the draft, I think it will be a mini salary dump for the team to sign a real name. The problem is..WHO out of the entire list of FAs would actually sign and play for us?

The only people I could see that we might have a shot at are journeymen. The only one I would want is Jagr and he is probably going to stay in NJ.

TBH..I think right now, McDonald is playing better than Martin. McDonald may not be flashy or the next all star, but he plays a full game and finishes his checks. If everyone played like him, the team would be MUCH better.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:44 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
Trading picks is all well and good if you can actually make a deal that will help the team. Garth has yet to do that so let's see if this works.
Garth has recently traded a 3rd for Wisniewski and a 2nd for Visnovsky, for example. I think he's looking at something like that.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:45 AM
fnfelon

Quote:
Thank you, before you trade Bailey I would like to see an experienced Coach come in here and try to work with him, put some pressure on him. See if he can be salvaged. That goes with Grabner, Martin and the rest. IMHO, many of these kids just gave up on Capuano this year. These kids need someone to Coach them who's been through the playoffs before, not a Coach who is learning at the same level with these kids for the first time.

fnfelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:07 AM
MJF

Quote:

Anyone who is of the belief that this team has some talented players and is not that far from being a serious contender would be in the Fire The Coach corner.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Hip Of Rick

Not sure why some here are saying McDonald/Martin are having bad years. They are 4th line players playing like 4th line players. If they are left to play on the 4th line they are fine. They are doing the same thing they have done in the past. However McDonalds spot could probably be better filled by someone who can PK.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote