HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't expect Isles to roll over for a higher pick

Old
03-23-2014, 09:43 AM
TeamKidd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
The Isles need a shake up of sorts this summer. As much as people would like Bailey moved, what sort of return would he fetch? A 3rd rounder and no good prospect? I would actually keep Bailey as a 3rd line skilled center over that. He is underperforming badly, but chances are we'll get something worse in return. maybe we all just have to settle down and realize that is what he is, not the high-end guy we believed we were getting.
who is he, vanek!?

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:44 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

i would hope that Snow does not 'decide' on a course of action. a good GM should be open to ALL options.

obviously, his actions should be for the betterment of the team, and being predictable, leaves him dealing from a point of weakness.

stay open-minded, Garth.

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:48 AM
TeamKidd

if you can move a guy like bailey, even in a salary dump, it's the right move. this will free up more cash to get a real player.

Grabner i might keep, considering he's a great penalty killer and has speed to burn. having said that, he's far too inconsistent to count on in a scoring role. he's a nice guy to have on the 3rd line and maybe an injury replacement in the top6, but thats about it.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Butchie says Bailey drew alot of interest..
Butchie said? As in Butch Goring? Cute.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:24 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
if you can move a guy like bailey, even in a salary dump, it's the right move. this will free up more cash to get a real player.

Grabner i might keep, considering he's a great penalty killer and has speed to burn. having said that, he's far too inconsistent to count on in a scoring role. he's a nice guy to have on the 3rd line and maybe an injury replacement in the top6, but thats about it.
While I too want Bailey gone--we have PLENTY of cash for real players all ready.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Hip Of Rick
Snow Must Go!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Clutterbuck has not underachieved and I would argue has been one of the bright spots for this team.
Clutterbuck is far from a bright spot. The guy has 6 goals and 7 assists when you take away the empty netters. Those are 4th line numbers. The guy has been in a scoring role a majority of the games.

Clutterbuck is an overpaid 4th line player

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Hip Of Rick
Snow Must Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
While I too want Bailey gone--we have PLENTY of cash for real players all ready.
Bailey is a disappointment BUT if he was counted on strictly to be on the 3rd line and 3rd line only the team could still be competitive.

I can see alot of teams offering a 2nd rounder for Bailey and not much more. I would rather keep Bailey than deal him for a 2nd round pick and replace him with nothing.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Poliz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
Trading picks is all well and good if you can actually make a deal that will help the team. Garth has yet to do that so let's see if this works.
The only good trade involving picks was the Vis trade. When he got here our PP was respectable.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:53 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Not deferring the pick to Buffalo is a HUGE mistake. It's going to backfire on us. It's so obvious.
How low does the Islanders pick have to be before we shouldn't defer?

All signs are pointing to us picking 4th(or maybe even higher) before the draft lottery.

I could see this argument if we were picking 8th or 9th, but where we are on the board it would be beyond ridiculous(even given the fact it can come back and bite us in the ass)

Last edited by boredmale: 03-23-2014 at 11:15 AM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:56 AM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
Staple's latest Newsday entry. Highlighting some interesting notes from the article:

1.) Interesting to note. Staple claims that Snow has plans to make some trades at the draft, which is what needs to happen with all of those assets.

2.) Another interesting quote. I think the underachievers he's referring to are Bailey, McDonald, and possibly Clutterbuck/Martin (?)

3.) Seems that we're holding onto the pick this year, which is the right decision imo.
The only two there that bring anything back are Clutterbuck and Martin, and I highly doubt either go anywhere.

All the talk of Snow going in to the draft armed to make a bunch of trades with 8 picks... this isn't that deep of a draft from all that I read so really the 1st round pick is the big trade chip and if it is top 4 or 5 he shouldn't move it.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:00 AM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
Quote:
It would be a monumental leap in maturity for Snow to cut his attachment to Bailey. It will mean more money for another player though even though technically we don't need it - sad but true with Wang not willing to ice a real roster.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:28 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Butchie said? As in Butch Goring? Cute.
Yeah Butchie, as in Butch Goring.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Clutterbuck is far from a bright spot. The guy has 6 goals and 7 assists when you take away the empty netters. Those are 4th line numbers. The guy has been in a scoring role a majority of the games.

Clutterbuck is an overpaid 4th line player
Exactly he is hurting our 3rd line, i would be fine keeping him as 4th liner mostly cause he is good on the pk. I would trade martin or clutterbuck if i could get a decent return.

As for Bailey as others have said i would give him a try with a new coach. We are not getting anything of value back. If we could trade him for another underachiever like sam Gagner i would consider it.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:34 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
How low does the Islanders pick have to be before we shouldn't defer?

All signs are pointing to us picking 4th(or maybe even higher) before the draft lottery.

I could see this argument if we were picking 8th or 9th, but where we are on the board it would be beyond ridiculous(even given the fact it can come back and bite us in the ass)
The NHL is considering changing the draft lottery rules, to discourage tanking,

One change would have the top 3 or top 5 teams have a chance for first overall. Another possible change would be to go with a weighted system, that counts wins+losses over the past 5 seasons.

If the isles have another crappy season next season and a weighted system is used to determine draft order, the isles pick will be in McDavid territory. I would rather lose a very good 2014 prospect, then send a kid the scouts consider a generational talent to Buffalo. What a f'ing disaster that would be.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

A lot will hinge on this summer.

03-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

People are really okay with letting Grabner go? I don't care what his breakaway % is, he brings something to this team that only MacKinnon or Duchene can bring and that's ridiculous top-end speed.

You need a mix of all different elements to be a balanced team.

Edit: Hey I hit 5000 posts and I only have 1 active infraction!

Last edited by Riseonfire: 03-23-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:48 AM
boredmale

Quote:
If the isles have another crappy season next season and a weighted system is used to determine draft order, the isles pick will be in McDavid territory. I would rather lose a very good 2014 prospect, then send a kid the scouts consider a generational talent to Buffalo. What a f'ing disaster that would be.
I would argue us giving up a 4th choice overall if we make the playoffs next year(where the lowest we would pick is 15th) would also be a huge mistake

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:50 AM
GrandmaSlices51631

Im all for trading Bailey, with the youth coming up it's pretty fair to say the void of Bailey won't be hard to fill. He's practically invisible out there and I don't see him turning into the guy everyone here raves about.

Grabner, on the other hand, should stay. He is a specialty kind of player and most definitely not a dime-a-dozen type guy. PK skills are invaluable as well as his speed (He is regarded as the fastest guy in the league by many). Trading Grabner will only wind up backfiring on us when his hands catch up to his feet and were left with a 3rd Rd pick and/or B-Prospect.

Other organizations know we undervalue Grabner and will use that to their advantage. Grabs has showed us a preview of what hes capable of and I like what I see. It's time to look past the first half of the season and focus on what he can do. Besides, no player outside the 1st line is going to be able to demonstrate their full potential in a dysfunctional NY Isles system.

Mark my words, if Snow deal Grabs, we will all be sitting around with our faces in our palm as he turns into a steady 30 G scorer.

GrandmaSlices51631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:50 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
People are really okay with letting Grabner go? I don't care what his breakaway % is, he brings something to this team that only MacKinnon or Duchene can bring and that's ridiculous top-end speed.

You need a mix of all different elements to be a balanced team.
Newsday reported at the recent trade deadline, that Snow had no interest in moving Grabner .

I think fans were tweeting questions to Staple and the possibility of a Grabner trade was raised.

Not really impressed by Staple. A hockeybuzz blogger was the first to report on Bailey + CMac trade rumors. Now three weeks later Staple makes his report

Old
03-23-2014, 11:51 AM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

To those claiming they're content with Clutterbuck, the fact is he's been on the 2nd PP unit for much of the season, and only has 15 points. He's gotta bring more to the table as a 3rd liner/ 2nd PP unit.

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:56 AM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:
Not deferring the pick to Buffalo is a HUGE mistake. It's going to backfire on us. It's so obvious.
It's the only way to go forward. Not doing it is saying you're really serious about sucking next season.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:57 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I would argue us giving up a 4th choice overall if we make the playoffs next year(where the lowest we would pick is 15th) would also be a huge mistake
I cannot say I am really surprised Snow is deferring the pick. How can he tell Wang that he will get the team back in playoff contention by next season, while looking like he is preparing to have another draft lottery pick in 2015?

I am not sold on Snow being able to make the right moves at this point. Before the Sabres trade, I posted my opinion that Snow was coming off a very rough off season. From losing out on Bernier/Schneider to buying high and selling low on Nino.

Old
03-23-2014, 11:57 AM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
To those claiming they're content with Clutterbuck, the fact is he's been on the 2nd PP unit for much of the season, and only has 15 points. He's gotta bring more to the table as a 3rd liner/ 2nd PP unit.
Our first PP unit is horrible, so why would our 2nd be any better? Not to mention they get 30 seconds per a PP to produce most of the time.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 12:02 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

Quote:
Not really impressed by Staple. A hockeybuzz blogger was the first to report on Bailey + CMac trade rumors. Now three weeks later Staple makes his report
I forgot about that, but make sure you read the article. The OP is the one throwing out Bailey and CMac. Nowhere does Staple mention any names for trade.

Old
03-23-2014, 12:06 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
We really need to dump Martin. He had a bad year and that's the time to trade him.

Amazing how well loved he was just 1 year ago. If he was on a 2-3 stretch of inept play I could fully understand this argument, HOWEVER, this is not the case.
He has never been more then a 4th liner with possible 3rd line potential at best, Isles fans just love their 4th liners.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote