HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't expect Isles to roll over for a higher pick

Old
03-23-2014, 01:10 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I cannot say I am really surprised Snow is deferring the pick. How can he tell Wang that he will get the team back in playoff contention by next season, while looking like he is preparing to have another draft lottery pick in 2015?

I am not sold on Snow being able to make the right moves at this point. Before the Sabres trade, I posted my opinion that Snow was coming off a very rough off season. From losing out on Bernier/Schneider to buying high and selling low on Nino.
You mean not deferring the pick. As I said though giving up the 4th pick this year is crazy. You basically are saying you fear to pick bottom 2 next season because any pick after that would be considered a lateral move or worse(when you factor in time before player plays for us)

Law of averages says we are better off keeping this year's pick so you can't do a move out of fear or worst case scenario. Not only will we most likely end in a worse off position because of it but it sends a terrible message to players on the team and fans

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post

3.) Seems that we're holding onto the pick this year, which is the right decision imo.
yes right decision, next years draft is supposed to be one of the bests in a long time and McDavid who is going to go #1 is supposed to be a better prospect then Crosby was, we wouldn't want a chance at getting him in what is most likely going to be another garbage year next year

O yea and getting rid of Grabner, another great move, one of the few bright spots on the team and since the Olympics he seems to have found his scoring touch, we wouldn't want that around here

Islesin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Josh Bailey, Michael Grabner & Colin McDonald. I would imagine these three are very much available.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Tpkc2

I have sooooo much confidence in Snow, I forsee another dynasty! The niño trade, the Vanek trade....he's just warming up!

Tpkc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 02:00 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAgain View Post
yes right decision, next years draft is supposed to be one of the bests in a long time and McDavid who is going to go #1 is supposed to be a better prospect then Crosby was, we wouldn't want a chance at getting him in what is most likely going to be another garbage year next year

O yea and getting rid of Grabner, another great move, one of the few bright spots on the team and since the Olympics he seems to have found his scoring touch, we wouldn't want that around here
Mcdavid is not a better prospect then Crosby. Not sure where you are getting that.

We have what looks like a top 3-4 pick this yr. You make the pick...no brainier. You can't give up a high pick like that on the possibility you may get a good pick next year.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 02:50 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Martin needs to be shipped out this summer, he is just a completely useless hockey player.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 03:14 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

the first two to go, IMO, would be McDonald and Carkner.

of course they won't admit that they want a better pick, as it would probably lead to a fine/penalty.

maybe management might want to tank, but there is no way the players will mail it in. they want to win, as well as playing for jobs.

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 03:53 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

I think it would be a tremendous mistake to trade Grabner. He brings a very unique skill/asset to a team. His value would be low now anyway and you do not get rich by selling low and buying high. I think he is on the brink of becoming a consistent 20+ goal scorer and big asset on the penalty kill(which he really already is).
You want to trade Bailey, CMac, or Carkner- OK, but you will not get much.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:03 PM
2LeftSkates

Snow is a fool for not waiting until next year's draft to use his #1 pick. I know it is all about appearances, but this is yet another negative echo from the Moulson/Vanek debacle.
As for wheeling and dealing, maybe JT should be moved before we hear his contract demands.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
He has never been more then a 4th liner with possible 3rd line potential at best, Isles fans just love their 4th liners.
Who, Casey and Matt? Yeah, they are fan favorites and it's not like your going to get a top 4th line unless your playing NHL 14 or the ASG. Who has this 4th line in the NHL that is so superior then everyone else? Boston? Yeah, that Boston 4th bruiser line really stinks.

Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Poliz24

Let's bring up this article again next season when the team goes 2-12 through all of november and the first week of december and put themselves in a nice big hole to start the season, go to march, win some meaningless games and miss out on the generational talent.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Cacciaguida

I want Bailey gone before next season. He's had enough time to develop, if it takes him being traded to be a solid player a la Turris. So be it.

As for Grabner, yes he's had an off year, but after the Olympics he started to catch fire, it seemed like he had lost confidence and playing for Austria did wonders for him. Then he got unlucky like Grabner usually does, and got that concussion.

This seems like this would be Cappy's department, but he's so insistent on giving Grabner 3rd line minutes, he seems more to blame. I don't want to beat a dead horse but Cappy has to go at some point.

But I'd rather have Cappy keep players happy playing here rather than ditch him for another incompetent coach.

Wouldn't Grabner's cap hit be a good thing, since he'll make it easier to reach the cap floor?

Cacciaguida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:16 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Donovan needs to be one of the pieces that go. Does anyone remember that lovely job of the unforced turnover at the point in the third that lead to a two on one on us?

He is showing me nothing to think he can be a real NHL player. Czuczman looks better in terms of actual defensive play and he came from the college system.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:19 PM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciaguida View Post
I want Bailey gone before next season. He's had enough time to develop, if it takes him being traded to be a solid player a la Turris. So be it.

As for Grabner, yes he's had an off year, but after the Olympics he started to catch fire, it seemed like he had lost confidence and playing for Austria did wonders for him. Then he got unlucky like Grabner usually does, and got that concussion.

This seems like this would be Cappy's department, but he's so insistent on giving Grabner 3rd line minutes, he seems more to blame. I don't want to beat a dead horse but Cappy has to go at some point.

But I'd rather have Cappy keep players happy playing here rather than ditch him for another incompetent coach.

Wouldn't Grabner's cap hit be a good thing, since he'll make it easier to reach the cap floor?
The problem is that his actual salary will be higher than his cap hit. That's never really popular with Charlie Wang.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Cavonnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciaguida View Post
Grabner's average annual value is $3 million for cap/floor purposes, but he's set to make $4 million in 2014-15 and $5 million in 2015-16. So, Wang would be paying him $9 million when he'd be getting only $6 million in salary floor benefits over the next two years.

Similarly, Visnovsky gets us only $4.75 million closer to the floor next year even though he's supposed to make $6 million.

Cavonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 06:10 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
It's the only way to go forward. Not doing it is saying you're really serious about sucking next season.
We're going to suck regardless. That's just the way it is. One 1st round draft pick (that probably wont see any time--let alone significant time) is going to change that. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 06:46 PM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
We're going to suck regardless. That's just the way it is. One 1st round draft pick (that probably wont see any time--let alone significant time) is going to change that. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
I give anything away that isn't a top 3. If it's top 3, you have to take it.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:15 PM
BTrotts19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
A lot will hinge on this summer.
Totally agree. If Wang/Snow do not intend on bringing in a true 1A goalie and at least a good veteran top 4 dman, possibly another veteran forward/dman AND fire Cappy/staff with a true professional coach, unless we have the top 3 pick, I defer because it would be a real stretch to think we would not be in the lottery pick running.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Yeah Butchie, as in Butch Goring.
I'm sure Butch Goring has the dish on trades.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:54 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I'm sure Butch Goring has the dish on trades.
I don't know about a dish but I am sure he has a corkscrew.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:30 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
I give anything away that isn't a top 3. If it's top 3, you have to take it.
This is kind of where I am these days. The thought of letting Buffalo have the 2015 pick scares the crap out of me. If the Isles give up the 2015 pick, they'd better have a good summer and fix the biggest problems.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
it sends a terrible message to players on the team and fans
You know......for some reason I don't think Snow/Wang care. For what it's worth the 1st choice is a new coach or not. Then it depends on where the Isles finish. Obviously Snow should leave no stone unturned and the list of assessts to trade should be clear abd defined. The focus first and formost should be a goalie. So this offseason has nowbecome VITAL to the progression of the never ending rebuild because last year sucked that bad.....with a season that swallowed. If Snow is committed to only using the youth of the organization then I would give Buffalo this years pick. If Wang is going to spend money then I would give buff next years pick....only because the Isles chances of being a top 5 pick decrease.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Chapin Landvogt
HFB Partner

Guys like Martin and McDonald are the players for the lower lines that show grit and make life difficult for opposing teams in a number of ways throughout a season.

Regardless of the output, you don't move guys like this - especially Matt Martin in light of his overall meaning to the organization at a number of levels.

McDonald just wouldn't have any market of value.

If forwards are being shopped, then I'd have to think that Grabner and Bailey are the guys Snow is going to test the market with. Of course, he must see if moving them is even gonna bring anything back. Grabner would seem to likely have the most value thanks to that speed and the PK game he's developed. Some teams will surely think they can make more use of him than the Isles.

Otherwise, I agree with others that Snow could be looking to move Clutterbuck - but unless he can get something surprisingly good, that would look AWFUL in light of losing Niederreiter for Cal and a goalie who did anything but look promising this winter.

Don't really see any other forwards worth moving now, much less 'veterans' (like we even have any of note...).

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 01:52 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAgain View Post

Man, pass me some of what you are smoking. In what world was McDavid EVER a better prospect than Crosby ? He may not even be as good a prospect as Tavares was.

Connor McDavid
Center -- shoots L
Born Jan 13 1997 -- Toronto, ONT
[17 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 185 [183 cm/84 kg]

Tweet Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2012-13 Erie Otters OHL 63 25 41 66 36 -24 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 Erie Otters OHL 56 28 71 99 20 47

John Tavares
Center -- shoots L
Born Sep 20 1990 -- Oakville, ONT
[23 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 202 [183 cm/92 kg]
Drafted by New York Islanders
- round 1 #1 overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft

2005-06 Oshawa Generals OHL 65 45 32 77 72 -13 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 Oshawa Generals OHL 67 72 62 134 60 25 9 7 12 19 6

Sidney Crosby
Center -- shoots L
Born Aug 7 1987 -- Cole Harbour, NS
[26 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 200 [180 cm/91 kg]
Drafted by Pittsburgh Penguins
- round 1 #1 overall 2005 NHL Entry Draft

2003-04 Rimouski Oceanic QMJHL 59 54 81 135 74 49 9 7 9 16 10
2004-05 Rimouski Oceanic QMJHL 62 66 102 168 84 78 13 14 17 31 16

Crosby and Tavares DOMINATED in their first 2 years. Hell, Crosby AND Tavares each almost had as many goals in their FIRST season as McDavid did in TWO years.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Islanderfan17

I will be so mad if we trade Grabner. The only way that'd be acceptable to me is if we got a solid #1 goalie back in a package deal or whatever. Grabner is an offensive weapon that not many teams in the league have, and is also very important to our secondary scoring.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote