HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Erik Karlsson interview

Old
03-23-2014, 06:01 AM
Whippet

vCash: 500
Big Erik Karlsson interview

Quote:
Aftonbladet +
OTTAWA . Sochi Olympics was one long highlight for Erik Karlsson.
But in addition , there has been a winter full of trials for our most acclaimed NHL-defender .
He has been hampered by a serious injury that hit him already a year ago , his best friends disappeared unexpectedly from Ottawa and in the fall he went through a divorce .
- There were many changes at once and it's been pretty ****ing tough sometimes . But I have dealt with it and i'm happy where I am now , he tells us in an exclusive interview with SportBladet.

On New Year's Eve suddenly there was a dramatic tweet coming from the Canadian capital .
" 2013 sucked. Worst year ever". the statement said .
Tweeter:
Erik Karlsson - superstar in Ottawa Senators.
- It was perhaps not the best tweet in my life. But it's who I am , I have to live with it, he chuckles as we meet three and a half months since the tweet in one of the star's favorite cafés in downtown Ottawa.

Until now he has not wanted to elaborate on why last year was so bad , but for Sportbladet he tells.
- There were many changes at once and it's been pretty ****ing tough sometimes . " Affe " ( Daniel Alfredsson ) went to Detroit and Jacob Silfverberg and Peter Regin were traded to other clubs . They were my three best friends here in Ottawa, and in particular " Affe ". I'm happy for him that he got to try something new after all these years here, but it was very sad to see him move.

Erik continues:
- Since I divorced in September-October. I have not wanted to talk about it, but it was nothing special happened , it just happened . Thats life sometimes , some things are tough to deal with, but all people goes through stuff like that.
Fortunately hold in 2014 developed into a nicer direction
- Yes, life goes on . I have a new girl now , she is from here , and everything works perfectly. It's all about how to handle things that happen to you and I have dealt with this in my own way and still try to maintain a positive focus and I'm happy where I am now.

Feeling more tired since injury

However, there has been a TOUGH season in Ottawa hockey wise. After two straight playoff appearances, the young Senators this year took a step back and they will most likely miss this spring's playoffs - and despite the fact that he , as usual, leads the defenders scoring by almost ten points margin, the Norris Trophy winner from 2012 is not fully satisfied with his own effort.
- Well its been okay, I certainly think even that it went better than I expected but I am still not close to where I was before the injury , he says.
The injury , it's the one that hit the 23 year old Smålander(Småland is a swedish "state") when Matt Cooke , at the time in Pittsburgh, about a year ago stepped on his calf muscle with his skate.
- It does not hurt , it just feels weird. I get very tired and I don´t have the gas to skate as much as I used to, I just don't have the same explosiveness. But I couldn't work out during the summer either, so the muscle has not healed yet. Hopefully I can work out the upcoming summer and then they(doctors?) say that things are going to be the same again .

Given the circumstances, it's remarkable the level at which Erik performed during the Olympics.
Cause in Sochi he was awesome, he was the foundation of several of Tre Kronor wins and was one of two defenders in the tournament's All-Star team .
" We had a hell of a good bunch "
- Yes, the OG was clearly this seasons biggest highlight. Only to get there and be with the other guys was inspiring , we had a hell of a good bunch . Everyone was excited to be there and everyone were eager to get to play together, he says, and continues:
- I felt refreshed. It was two weeks and we played what, six games , was not it? Then you felt like: "lets do this" . You didn't allow yourself to be tired.

Both teammates and the blue and yellow fans at home in TV sofas got to witness really characteristic Erik Karlsson-plays too - which is sometimes more like poetry than sports and holds risk-taking that very few at the same level would dare to try .
- Yes, it 's a little bit my game philosophy perhaps. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't . But I am where I am now because of what I have done and what i am doing now, so there 's no point in changing now. We'll see when I get old and can't skate anymore, then maybe I'll have to figure out something else, he he . But I'm playing 30 minutes a game against every other team's top lines and I have been doing that for three years. Its nothing to take note of , it is all the time the same questions about me taking chances ...

"Ha ha , Lill Babs effect ... "

Interviewer: - That's not criticism ,it is wonderful to see after all.

- I think the hockey I play is fun and I will never change that. People know what kind of player I am and coaches and so does the coaches, either they like it or they don't.
The fans back home in Sweden seem to really like it, you went and became beloved by the people in Sweden during the Olympics , it was a like a little "Lill Babs"(Swedish singer) - effect.
- Ha ha , Lill Babs - effect ...

But it also had to do with your charm and your sense of humor in the TV interviews. That must feel good?

- Of course it is fun that the whole Olympic adventure became such a big thing at home, and of obviously it's been great to be part of it. I remember myself how fun it was to sit at home in your living room and watch interviews with guys like Forsberg, Lidstrom and " Affe " and it felt like you actually met them and saw how they were off the ice. It feels good to be that person now and be able to give something back.
But you don't act in those situations, right? You are like that?
- Yeah, he he , I'm like that and will never be any other way. I will always say what I think and feel .

Could be considered for the World Championship

In other words, you're not exactly the quiet guy?
- No, I 'm not the type of person who holds back. When i'm in a new group maybe I'm not the one who talks the most, but when I do feel comfortable, I am myself, and then I talk very, very much. And maybe a little loud at times, ha ha .
If Ottawa miss the playoffs, and there are many indications that they will miss it, there is a theoretical chance that the Swedish people, once again, will get to enjoy the entertaining characteristics in the World Championship too. But just theoretical at the moment.
- I have not thought about . We'll see, I 've felt worn out all season and now I feel that its hard for the first time in my career. I would probably need a long summer and good training. But the motivation will determine if I go. If I feel for it il go, and if I don't feel for it, I will announce it .

Last edited by Whippet: 03-23-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Whippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 210
Nice interview.

I have to wonder what the heck Maclean is thinking, playing Erik so much. If the strength isn't there, and he's feeling tired on the ice, his minutes need to be cut. His chances of getting another injury (not necessarily with the achilles but anything) increase dramatically when you're playing fatigued.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 06:12 AM
Whippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Nice interview.

I have to wonder what the heck Maclean is thinking, playing Erik so much. If the strength isn't there, and he's feeling tired on the ice, his minutes need to be cut. His chances of getting another injury (not necessarily with the achilles but anything) increase dramatically when you're playing fatigued.
Yeah, since the playoff-chances are pretty much gone, it would be much, much better long term to reduce Karlssons minutes during the rest of the season.

Old
03-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Rookie User

Many night he doesn't play anywhere Close to 30 minutes and he has hardly had 30min/night the last Three years, has he?

This season: 27:15

Last season: 27:09

Two seasons ago: 25:19

So...no.

But yeah, he's at least up front with the fact that he isn't anywhere Close to where he was pre-injury. That gives me some hope.

2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Striderr

2015? how is this relevant ? is it becuase he said in the interview that he's playing around 30 minutes a night? Let me inform you that if you're having an interview and you're about to explain something briefly, you say 30 if it's close to 30. You don't say well last season i avaraged 27,09 and this season i avarage 27.15 minutes a night, give or take a few seconds.

Striderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Can you link the original source please.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Well at least he has an Ottawa Girl now, hope that he will stay right guys?.....guys?

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:33 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Awesome work, man! Good things in that interview. Glad that doctors have insinuated that he can get back to being comfortable on the ice, as far as his ankle is concerned at least.

Sounds like this offseason is going to be big for EK.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:41 AM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 View Post
Many night he doesn't play anywhere Close to 30 minutes and he has hardly had 30min/night the last Three years, has he?

This season: 27:15

Last season: 27:09

Two seasons ago: 25:19

So...no.

But yeah, he's at least up front with the fact that he isn't anywhere Close to where he was pre-injury. That gives me some hope.

In conversation, it is common to round up to a number, rather than to robotically and awkwardly state "I average 27:15 in ice-time per game." It is a familiar and common habit to round up the averages of heavily-used defensemen like Suter, Campbell, and Karlsson and state that they play "30 minutes" when it is not a literal reality that every single night they break the 30 minute threshold. Rather than fixating on the fact that he does not literally average exactly 30 minutes of hockey per game, instead consider the following and why he might have offered a familiar and easy-to-understand (or so I thought!) estimate of his ice-time to a reporter in a general overview of his season:

He has played 30 minutes or more in 11 of 70 games this season.

He was 9th in average time on ice in 2011-12, 2nd in 2012-13, and 3rd in 2013-14 (subject to change, 3 seconds less per game than Campbell).

He averages 6 minutes more per game than the next highest Senator.
He averaged 4 minutes more per game in 2012-13 (gap is smaller than this year because someone had to compensate in his absence).
He averaged 2 minutes more per game than the next highest Senator in 2011-12.

Karlsson, while not literally and precisely averaging 30 minutes per night, is on the ice more often than 99% of his teammates and competitors. He plays far more minutes than any of his teammates, including his defensive partner, and has since his sophomore season. If one were to, in a non-mathetical and casual way, approximate the number of minutes a defenseman of Karlsson's ilk plays, almost every single person would say "30 minutes" and no one but you would be confused or question the arithmetic ability of the respondent. If you are still offended by this slight exaggeration, one snippet in a long conversation that someone very helpfully took the time to translate, so be it.

I did not intend to write a long post but it seemed like you could use the help. Enjoy your Sunday.

Thank you for the translation Whippet, it was a good read.

03-23-2014, 08:46 AM
EssendonBombers
classless

Good to see him open up about some things publicly. As many have noted, his demeanour both on and off the ice this year seems to have deteriorated, but he seems to be back on the right track in the long term.

Also, it's pretty amazing to see the numbers he is putting up while being hampered by the injury. He's an amazing player and I'm always thankful to watch him play.

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:53 AM
JGPageau

Amazing how much info you can get out of a player doing a proper sit down interview in a comfortable setting without Brennans ugly mug in the picture. Media in this town should take notes.

JGPageau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Ohhh Franco

Is he good friends with Ehrhoff? If so, just another reason for BMurr to acquire him.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGPageau View Post
Amazing how much info you can get out of a player doing a proper sit down interview in a comfortable setting without Brennans ugly mug in the picture. Media in this town should take notes.
Well said.

Seems most of the journalists in North America have gone to the National Enquirer School of Journalism. All about turning moles into mountains, and 'gotcha' journalism. I'm getting so sick of it.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:09 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Is he good friends with Ehrhoff? If so, just another reason for BMurr to acquire him.
But... there isn't a single mention of Ehrhoff in this entire article.

How is that relevant?

Old
03-23-2014, 09:11 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:

Old
03-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
But... there isn't a single mention of Ehrhoff in this entire article.

How is that relevant?
Sens desperately need a veteran DMan. Although Im not all about pandering to Karlsson, you need to keep this guy happy. Buffalo is rumored to be open to dealing Ehrhoff. Ehrhoff is a Swede who Karlsson has played with in international competitions. Are they buddies? Could you bolster both the Sens back end and Karlsson's mood by acquiring Ehrhoff?

Old
03-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Sens desperately need a veteran DMan. Although Im not all about pandering to Karlsson, you need to keep this guy happy. Buffalo is rumored to be open to dealing Ehrhoff. Ehrhoff is a Swede who Karlsson has played with in international competitions. Are they buddies? Could you bolster both the Sens back end and Karlsson's mood by acquiring Ehrhoff?
Ehrhoff is German.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:30 AM
LeTigre

Quote:
Ehrhoff is German.

Maybe you're confusing Ehrhoff with Edler.

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Whippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Awesome work, man! Good things in that interview. Glad that doctors have insinuated that he can get back to being comfortable on the ice, as far as his ankle is concerned at least.

Sounds like this offseason is going to be big for EK.
No worries mate. Thought this was worth translating and posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Can you link the original source please.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...ab?teaser=true

Unfortunately you won't be able to read it since you have to pay to read some of their exclusive articles.

Quote:
The journalist, Per Bjurman, is one the most well respected swedish journalists among NHL-players. He works as a correspondent living in New York where he does live-blogs during games (mostly Rangers-games) and even writing about stuff happening in New York.

Apparently he was the first one of people Zetterberg called to tell that he wouldn't be able to play during the rest of the olympics, which tells how respected he is. Wouldn't imagine players calling Brennan or Garrioch to tell these kinds of stuff.

He travelled up to Montreal recently and covered the Habs game (said that the refs were absolutely brutal and shouldn't of gotten out of of the building alive

And later he spent a couple of days covering our games against the Avs and Rangers + did this interview with Karlsson. He pretty is pretty much living my dream life by living in New York and gets paid to watch hockey games haha.

http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/perbjurman/

Its well worth a read if you feel like translating it.

Last edited by Whippet: 03-23-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old
03-23-2014, 09:41 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Good interview. Hope he gets back to 2012-2013 form with a summer of rest & rehab.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
Ehrhoff is German.

Well there you go...ha.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
Ehrhoff is German.

hmm, this stuff is just too confusing, we should just get both to improve our chances of finding Erik a new BFF.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Whippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
hmm, this stuff is just too confusing, we should just get both to improve our chances of finding Erik a new BFF.
Can his new girlfriend play D?

Old
03-23-2014, 10:08 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
Can his new girlfriend play D?
I'm going to take the high road and not make the obvious joke here, heh.

Old
03-23-2014, 10:22 AM
JGPageau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
The journalist, Per Bjurman, is one the most well respected swedish journalists among NHL-players. He works as a correspondent living in New York where he does live-blogs during games (mostly Rangers-games) and even writing about stuff happening in New York...

...Its well worth a read if you feel like translating it.
That's great stuff to hear - the game could definitely use a few more journalists. Like NMF said, it's National Enquirer level for the most part which is a absolute shame. So much good to focus on in the game and we're constantly fed their negativity and ********. And of course all that spreads to the fans and team. We get angry they sell papers - it makes me sick.

JGPageau is offline   Reply With Quote