HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future Roster Construction and Various Pipe Dreams

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2014, 12:44 PM
  #26
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
I've watched him in the AHL, and it's what you would expect from every other guy making the jump from junior to the pro game. Very few players step into that situation and dominate. He's made progress each month he's been down there to the point he's nowhere near the player he was in October. This past month has been something to watch though for sure.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
03-25-2014, 12:49 PM
  #27
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 500
I agree with you about Richie progression. My sole point was that we want him to jump up and succeed and putting checking responsibilities on his shoulders to start his NHL career is asking a lot of a guy who probably regards himself as a scoring power forward. I think he's someone they should try to shelter a little bit at first to get his confidence up and then starting adding other responsibilities to his game and see how he responds and what he can do at this level.

Hull Fan is offline  
Old
03-25-2014, 12:52 PM
  #28
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I agree with you about Richie progression. My sole point was that we want him to jump up and succeed and putting checking responsibilities on his shoulders to start his NHL career is asking a lot of a guy who probably regards himself as a scoring power forward. I think he's someone they should try to shelter a little bit at first to get his confidence up and then starting adding other responsibilities to his game and see how he responds and what he can do at this level.
That's how Brenden Morrow started his career. It's not an uncommon thing. Benn definitely started that way as a 20 year old down the lineup.

It's not a bad option at all to dip your toe into the league that way.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
03-25-2014, 01:17 PM
  #29
FrailSwan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: I have lost my home
Country: United States
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Carolina is going to ask the world for Skinner if he really is on the block. No thanks.

FrailSwan is offline  
Old
03-25-2014, 01:56 PM
  #30
Bluesoma
Registered User
 
Bluesoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Piqued, I was thinking more physically as Smith never really struck me as very physical, at least from what I remember. Ritchie is more liable to use his body rather than speed or skill to make his chances.

As far as Ritchie's defensive play. The first half of the season it was pretty damn bad, mostly because he as Hull Fan said was cherry picking or just didn't have the speed (both physically and mentally) to come back quickly enough. That being said his defensive play has been great lately.

He might have some stumbles once he's in the NHL with defensive play but I don't think it'll be as bad. But he got over them in the AHL (started slow and such) that I think he'll be fine as a 3rd liner.

Bluesoma is offline  
Old
03-25-2014, 03:59 PM
  #31
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Q&A about Christian Folin.

Haven't had an opportunity to read yet.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 02:33 PM
  #32
usefulfiction
Registered User
 
usefulfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Q&A about Christian Folin.

Haven't had an opportunity to read yet.


Quote:
The issue with all college free agents, especially the top guys, is that they can choose from any team in the league. In the case of a guy like Folin, who is bound to get plenty of NHL offers, he might demand the chance to play in the NHL this year.
Hypothetically, would we be able to send Rome down in order to accommodate? Would that even be a move we'd be interested in making?

usefulfiction is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 03:54 PM
  #33
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin
 
oconnor9sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 4,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulfiction View Post
Hypothetically, would we be able to send Rome down in order to accommodate? Would that even be a move we'd be interested in making?
I would hope that Nill would send Rome down for Folin.

From all I've seen, he looks like he could be a decent defenseman. He's has an NHL ready body, big right handed shot that would help our PP. I really hope Nill could use playing time as a drawing factor to get him to come here.

oconnor9sean is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 07:01 PM
  #34
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
That's how Brenden Morrow started his career. It's not an uncommon thing. Benn definitely started that way as a 20 year old down the lineup.

It's not a bad option at all to dip your toe into the league that way.
Also Nichuskin this year.

Rune Forumwalker is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 07:16 PM
  #35
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin
 
oconnor9sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 4,519
vCash: 500
I was shocked when I saw that Seguin only had 22 points his rookie year. Val is going to be just fine.

oconnor9sean is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 07:33 PM
  #36
aloonda*
fear the rooster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: ABC
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Also Nichuskin this year.
rune, do you think lindy has handled nuke well this season? at times I get frustrated by seeing him moved off the first line, but then when I calm down about it some and think about what ruff is doing (what he says he is doing) it makes sense--the big deal is does nuke also trust and believe in what lindy is telling him?

aloonda* is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 07:41 PM
  #37
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
rune, do you think lindy has handled nuke well this season? at times I get frustrated by seeing him moved off the first line, but then when I calm down about it some and think about what ruff is doing (what he says he is doing) it makes sense--the big deal is does nuke also trust and believe in what lindy is telling him?
Razor mentioned he moves Nuke to the 4th line to rest him when he has no energy. I'm ok with it.

MetalGodAOD* is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 07:44 PM
  #38
ugrakarma
Registered User
 
ugrakarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: boonies, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
I was shocked when I saw that Seguin only had 22 points his rookie year. Val is going to be just fine.
I assume the biggest adjustment is just how damn long the regular season is compared to what European players are used to play over here. He should be just fine.

ugrakarma is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 07:44 PM
  #39
aloonda*
fear the rooster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: ABC
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Razor mentioned he moves Nuke to the 4th line to rest him when he has no energy. I'm ok with it.
what i was referencing, if nuke is buying in and learning from it, I am all for how lindy has handled this kid

aloonda* is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 09:15 PM
  #40
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
I wouldn't say he's been handled badly. Ruff gave him limited minutes at first for him to learn and get used to North America and eventually was moved up to the top line.

The few scratches he had were only for one game (told to study a player, or rest), and he played in the very next game.

Rune Forumwalker is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 09:30 PM
  #41
Jorkkila
ChickenCageOfTerror!
 
Jorkkila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Do any of you guys follow the OHL enough to know about Steven Trojanovic? Plays for Guelph this season, has good size (6'2"/200lbs), right-handed and described as good skating, puck moving dman.

Not eligible for the draft anymore (I think). He has been putting up good numbers lately, more or less about the team. Maybe a similar project player as Dillon was...

Jorkkila is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 09:57 PM
  #42
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorkkila View Post
Do any of you guys follow the OHL enough to know about Steven Trojanovic? Plays for Guelph this season, has good size (6'2"/200lbs), right-handed and described as good skating, puck moving dman.

Not eligible for the draft anymore (I think). He has been putting up good numbers lately, more or less about the team. Maybe a similar project player as Dillon was...
He turned 18 in the Fall of 2011 which means he was first draft eligible in 2012. You have to be passed in 3 drafts before you are no longer eligible to be drafted so he should therefore be a 2014 draft eligible prospect.

Where I'm not 100% sure because it's CHL not NHL rules. I believe this was his overage year. A normal prospect with a Fall birthday would have been eligible and likely playing in the AHL. A guy with a Spring/Summer b-day in the 2012 draft would not be in the overage year until next year. So yeah I'm not sure how overage years work for Fall/winter births. The Dallas F/W births I can think of all went pro ASAP after starting their soon to be 20 year old season (Turn 20 by Dec. 31 of that year).

BigG44 is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 10:44 PM
  #43
ginblossoms
Registered User
 
ginblossoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Razor mentioned he moves Nuke to the 4th line to rest him when he has no energy. I'm ok with it.
and if i recall correctly, it was nichushkin who first approached ruff about getting a rest... so i couldn't imagine val complaining about how he's being handled.

ginblossoms is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 11:20 PM
  #44
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 29,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrakarma View Post
I assume the biggest adjustment is just how damn long the regular season is compared to what European players are used to play over here. He should be just fine.
For sure, and his season has been especially long with both the Traverse City Tournament and the Olympics. With all of that extra work, he's already doubled the number of games he's ever played in more of a pro setting.

His game started slow and uneven but was flying high leading up to getting picked for the Olympic team. Since the Olympics he's been pretty bad. He shouldn't really be in the NHL. He should be in juniors or the AHL getting up to speed with the North American game, so I won't use this season to pass judgment on him.

Troy McClure is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 05:12 PM
  #45
cmwang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
For sure, and his season has been especially long with both the Traverse City Tournament and the Olympics. With all of that extra work, he's already doubled the number of games he's ever played in more of a pro setting.

His game started slow and uneven but was flying high leading up to getting picked for the Olympic team. Since the Olympics he's been pretty bad. He shouldn't really be in the NHL. He should be in juniors or the AHL getting up to speed with the North American game, so I won't use this season to pass judgment on him.
With 30 points and +15, I think he's fine in the NHL. Definitely still learning but its not like he has been a liability most nights.

cmwang is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 11:17 PM
  #46
Zrhutch
Registered User
 
Zrhutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 500
Went on Behind the Net for some advanced stats and pulled out some guys that I'd like for free agency (cross referenced using Capgeek) based on Corsi and other advanced stats on there. Really recommend it as a resource, it really helps figure out who's helping drive play (hint- Goligoski drives play), and is kind of fun to see who the real possession players are in the league (Kopitar is god).

C- Stastny (of course)
C- Grabovski
LW-Cammalleri (Whitney replacement? running a 2.13 Corsi on less than 50% of offensive zone starts)
D- Fayne
D- Stralman (13.22 Corsi On, this could be seen as a steal at the right price)

That's just scratching the surface. I'll be sure to post more gems as I find them

Zrhutch is online now  
Old
03-28-2014, 01:25 AM
  #47
Satan
depression cherry
 
Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @brelyt
Country: Sark
Posts: 50,753
vCash: 69
Advanced statistics R 4 Nerds

Satan is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 01:57 AM
  #48
jhr1986
Registered User
 
jhr1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DFWish
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
A 2nd line of cammalleri statsny chiasson sounds like it could be dangerous albeit unlikely

Haven't watched stralman play, but we sure need some upgrades on the back end

jhr1986 is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 03:26 AM
  #49
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,366
vCash: 500
Stalman is a solid steady RHD. He'd be a good upgrade.

MetalGodAOD* is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 06:24 AM
  #50
Modo
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,331
vCash: 50
How many more goals would this team have if Chiasson converted on half of the chances he gets on a regular basis?

I know, growing pains and all that, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tired of his constantly flubbing of scoring chances. Very disheartening.

If an offer comes along that nets us an improvement on the blueline, and it involves Chiasson, I hope Nill at least mulls it over.

__________________
RIP octopi and parabola.
Modo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.