HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's # should be retired? #2,#9,#11

View Poll Results: Who's # should be retired ???
Retire only #2 ( Leetch ) 12 10.17%
Retire only # 9 ( Graves ) 0 0%
Retire only # 11 ( Messier ) 2 1.69%
Retire Leetch and Messier 39 33.05%
Retire Graves and Leetch 2 1.69%
Retire Messier and Graves 0 0%
None of there #'s deserve to be retired 2 1.69%
Retire all 3 players #'s ( Leetch, Messier, Graves ) 61 51.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2005, 12:46 AM
nyrmessier011

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
You would be an absolut moron NOT to include Messier and Leetch and consider Graves

Leetch is one of the best rangers defenseman in history. Conn Smyth trophy winner on the cup team that ended the drought. Scored record playoff points that year...played with a completely messed up shoulder for like 15 games.

Graves also was a key component to that team. Has scored a single season high in goals (52 i think).

Messier. how could you not say he deserves his jersey retired. Captain. Led the team to 2 presidents trophys and I don't know if anyone else forgot, THE FIRST CUP IN 54 YEARS. The man lead the team on and off the ice. Not only did he win a cup with our team--and guarantee one of the biggest games along the way, adding his name to the NY LEGENDS whom have guaranteed victory in big games--, he is the second leading scorer of ALL TIME. The Messiah, the captain. Are you kidding me? You all need your friggen heads checked if you don't think his number will be retired or deserves to be.

Old
08-16-2005, 01:36 AM
NYR2

Went with all three.

I love the stupid Devils fan that came in here and voted for none.

Old
08-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
You would be an absolut moron NOT to include Messier and Leetch and consider Graves

Leetch is one of the best rangers defenseman in history. Conn Smyth trophy winner on the cup team that ended the drought. Scored record playoff points that year...played with a completely messed up shoulder for like 15 games.

Graves also was a key component to that team. Has scored a single season high in goals (52 i think).

Messier. how could you not say he deserves his jersey retired. Captain. Led the team to 2 presidents trophys and I don't know if anyone else forgot, THE FIRST CUP IN 54 YEARS. The man lead the team on and off the ice. Not only did he win a cup with our team--and guarantee one of the biggest games along the way, adding his name to the NY LEGENDS whom have guaranteed victory in big games--, he is the second leading scorer of ALL TIME. The Messiah, the captain. Are you kidding me? You all need your friggen heads checked if you don't think his number will be retired or deserves to be.
Relax, an opinion that is different from yours might not necessarily be a sign of intellectual degradation. You may disagree with me on this, and, well, that's pretty much my point then. Please understand this if you wish to become/remain a respected member of the board.

I voted for Leetchie alone, but now that I think about it and read some posts, I think it should be Leetch and Graves.

Messier should be retired as an Oiler.

Old
08-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
for a specific team you have to take into consideration all that that player meant to the Org. on and off the ice.

We all know what Brian Leetch did for NY, same goes for Mark Messier, while I have my thoughts about Messier as a player today, I have the utmost respect for what he did for New York 11 years ago.

Adam Graves OTOH is a player that left a significant mark on the Org on the ice, but I think that what he did off the ice in New York along grants him the honor of having his number hagning in the Rafters.

No player in my memory adopted a city the way this man did when he came here and he was loved for it. No player went out on the ice nightly and played the game that kinda defined what New York is. An in your face take this kind of game and then if you had a problem with it, he pounded your lemon in.

What Gravey gave on the ice every night was his heart, we all saw it. It would be an honor for me to look up and see his Number hanging in the rafters as much as it is an honor to see Gilbert's and Richters.

Adam Graves deserves this honor.
That's very true--objectively from his on the ice contribution alone, Graves probably shouldn't have his number retired. But, overall, he really became a true blue Ranger both on and off the ice. The period that these three players (and Richter) represent was the best that this franchise has had since they period they won their first 3 Stanley Cups. It's not their fault about what happened since. Retire them all.

Old
08-16-2005, 02:07 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
for a specific team you have to take into consideration all that that player meant to the Org. on and off the ice.

We all know what Brian Leetch did for NY, same goes for Mark Messier, while I have my thoughts about Messier as a player today, I have the utmost respect for what he did for New York 11 years ago.

Adam Graves OTOH is a player that left a significant mark on the Org on the ice, but I think that what he did off the ice in New York along grants him the honor of having his number hagning in the Rafters.

No player in my memory adopted a city the way this man did when he came here and he was loved for it. No player went out on the ice nightly and played the game that kinda defined what New York is. An in your face take this kind of game and then if you had a problem with it, he pounded your lemon in.

What Gravey gave on the ice every night was his heart, we all saw it. It would be an honor for me to look up and see his Number hanging in the rafters as much as it is an honor to see Gilbert's and Richters.

Adam Graves deserves this honor.
I agree with this completely and on a side note Gresch should at least be considered.

Old
08-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Stinkin' Root Beer

Retiring a number is done to honor a player's contribution to a particular organization; in that sense it is not a HOF nomination, which is why Gravey's #9 should be retired. Few men have done so much for a particular organization both on and off the ice nor possessed such a strong character. My only concern would be that Graves is so humble that he would implode from all of the recognition. I believe #2 and #11 go without saying. BTW, hi all, glad to be here

Old
08-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Ratty

Retired Numbers

I believe retiring numbers is a bad idea. Put the player in a NY Rangers Hall of Fame but keep the numbers active.

If #2 is to be retired for Leetch, wouldn't that be a slap in the face to Brad Park?

Old
08-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty
I believe retiring numbers is a bad idea. Put the player in a NY Rangers Hall of Fame but keep the numbers active.

If #2 is to be retired for Leetch, wouldn't that be a slap in the face to Brad Park?
They played in two completely different eras, and don't forget that Leetch won a Conn Smyth Trophy too.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
JCProdigy

Well it could be argued that Leetch is the no 1 Ranger of all time and definitely is a top 3 all-time Ranger so his number will deservedly be retired.

Messier came here in 92 and his main mission was to bring a cup to a desperate franchise. He did just that and along the way he managed to win a hart trophy, have several great seasons, and took in New York as his new home. I think the captain deserves to have his number in the rafters.

As a yankee fan when I think of Adam Graves I like to draw the comparison to one of two Yankees: Don Mattingly and Paul O'Neil and the more I thought about Graves the more I whole-heartedly agree with PLD. The guy blew his back up for this organization and its fans and no doubt he'd do it a thousand times over if he could. It seems that he was the one that fans connected to more then any other player from that team. He seemed to personally make it his goal to exorcise the demons of 1940. The image of him saying 'the greatest thing is that New York Ranger fans will never have to hear the word 1940 again' and him chanting 1994 after the cup win will never leave my mind. Afterall, retiring of numbers is ultimately done in the name of the fans and didn't the fans at the garden let their feelings be known the night Richter's number was retired when, almost embarrassingly, Graves got an equally as big ovation as Richter received?

Old
08-17-2005, 08:10 PM
RANGER#11

[QUOTE=Entrancemperium]it would be nice if all three numbers got retired because those three players were three big reasons why the stanley cup curse ended in 94[
I agree totally.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:17 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I voted Leetch and Messier....Graves is right on the edge but I don't think they will retire his #.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:12 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Personally i've never liked retiring numbers, but i wouldnt mind a system that honors them.
I agree. I like what most NFL teams do with the ring of honor and save the number retirement for the VERY special player, ala LT and Simms (although the Giants do not have a ring of honor).

As for the Rangers, I say only #2.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Mike18

I think that in a sense the team has already said they won't retire Graves's #9 when they let Bure wear it as a Ranger. I know it doens't completely eliminate the chance, but if they intended to retire it at the time, Bure would probably have been asked to pick a different number.

Closed Thread