HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Top 14 Mock Draft (w/ Lottery)

Old
03-24-2014, 11:58 AM
sjci

vCash: 313
Top 14 Mock Draft (w/ Lottery)

After running the draft lottery through my simulator 5 times, the winner of the 2014 NHL Draft Lottery, and thus picking 1st is the Calgary Flames!

01. - D Aaron Ekblad
02. - C Sam Bennett
03. - C Leon Draisaitl
04. - C Sam Reinhart
05. - W Michael Dal Colle
06. - W Nick Ritchie
07. - W Nikolaj Ehlers
08. - C/W Jake Virtanen
09. - C Brendan Perlini
10. - C Jared McCann
11. - W Kaspari Kapanen
12. - W William Nylander
13. - D Hayden Fleury
14. - W Ivan Barbashev

Last edited by sjci: 03-30-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Changed #12 from Michael to William Nylander
sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 03:13 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
It just kills me that that top 5 appears to be set in stone.

I'll say the same thing I said in another mock though, I really wouldn't expect Virtanen to go so high.

03-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 1452
I like your draft simulator.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Patchey*

vCash: 500
I think Virtanen goes outside top 10

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:43 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

the Flames would likely be happy to get Ekblad, but i can't help but think that they are just as in love with Sam Reinhart, given the history with father Paul playing there and brother Max already there, as the Oilers seem to be with Leon Draisaitl. my guess is the Flames would take Reinhart #1. i also feel that if the Oilers miss out on Draisaitl or Ekblad, they'll trade down. how about the Ducks taking big and tough scorer Nick Ritchie? the big get bigger! if he's still there when they pick, they'll take him, no doubt in my mind!

regarding Virtanen, i could easily see him going 8th! he's big and tough and scored 45 goals this year. and i really don't know if Perlini, McCann, Nylander or Kapanen are going to turn out to be that much better as pros than Virtanen could.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 02:41 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
the Flames would likely be happy to get Ekblad, but i can't help but think that they are just as in love with Sam Reinhart, given the history with father Paul playing there and brother Max already there, as the Oilers seem to be with Leon Draisaitl. my guess is the Flames would take Reinhart #1. i also feel that if the Oilers miss out on Draisaitl or Ekblad, they'll trade down. how about the Ducks taking big and tough scorer Nick Ritchie? the big get bigger! if he's still there when they pick, they'll take him, no doubt in my mind!
I could be wrong here but I think the top 3 will be some combination of Reinhart/Ekblad/Bennett no matter who picks in those 3 spots. To me those 3 seem to be a step above the the next 2-3 guys

As an Islanders fan I know I would be happy seeing the Oilers take Draisaitl which if we stay at our current #4 spot means one of the 3 guys I mentioned would drop, I just don't see or expect it to happen

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 03:36 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

I'll say the same thing I said in another mock though, I really wouldn't expect Virtanen to go so high.
why not? A big strong, power forward who put up 45 goals in a draft eligible year, also an amazing skater.

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:53 PM
BigNickBjugstad

Panthers would take Dal Colle over Reinhart imo.

BigNickBjugstad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:11 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^i doubt they would, but i see what you mean. the Panthers already have great depth at center, with Barkov and Bjugstad leading the way, and Dal Colle is a winger, but Reinhart is said by some to be NHL ready and if he is, how can you pass on him?

Old
03-27-2014, 04:02 AM
duckfan8

Quote:

i dont think ive heard u say that before

duckfan8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 03:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Arizona does not draft, sign, or trade for Russian players. Not in years. Don Maloney has been fairly surprising open about saying as much to the media, too. We claimed Bryzgalov off of waivers, but that may be the last Russian acquisition for Maloney. I think they drafted a Russian in his first draft, but he didn't have a say in it, only being named GM days or weeks earlier. He's traded or unsigned the remaining Russian players. Tikhonov is the lone remaining in the system. He's suspended by the organization indefinitely.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2014, 12:04 PM
sjci

Quote:

I think the top 5 might have some movement in it, especially if someone believes Ehlers is a diamond in the rough, or if the lottery goes otherwise. I think too that Ottawa's gonna finish more around the 7-8 range. I see Nashville and Carolina finishing below them. Winnipeg also has an outside shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesjustwin View Post
I like your draft simulator.
Haha, it took some adjusting to get to finally work, but I actually got the method from a flames guy so it's a bit apropos that it came out like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecimatedHD View Post
I think Virtanen goes outside top 10
Quite possible, but I think a team that misses out on Ritchie, or even views Virtanen's speed size as something that they can work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post

regarding Virtanen, i could easily see him going 8th! he's big and tough and scored 45 goals this year. and i really don't know if Perlini, McCann, Nylander or Kapanen are going to turn out to be that much better as pros than Virtanen could.
The could very well go with Reinhart, I just think Ekblad is someone that Murray and Co. would be hard pressed to pass up, but the same could be said for Reinhart so I guess it's just personal opinion haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I could be wrong here but I think the top 3 will be some combination of Reinhart/Ekblad/Bennett no matter who picks in those 3 spots. To me those 3 seem to be a step above the the next 2-3 guys

As an Islanders fan I know I would be happy seeing the Oilers take Draisaitl which if we stay at our current #4 spot means one of the 3 guys I mentioned would drop, I just don't see or expect it to happen
It could very well go that way, but teams like Edmonton and Florida could go with a more positional need (Oil= Big #2C, Fla=Winger) in Draisaitl or Dal Colle and really change it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickBjugstad View Post
Panthers would take Dal Colle over Reinhart imo.
They definitely could. Wing is definitely an organizational need, and Dal Colle would be a good one, but I just think if given the choice between Reinhart and Dal Colle, most every team would go with Reinhart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Arizona does not draft, sign, or trade for Russian players. Not in years. Don Maloney has been fairly surprising open about saying as much to the media, too. We claimed Bryzgalov off of waivers, but that may be the last Russian acquisition for Maloney. I think they drafted a Russian in his first draft, but he didn't have a say in it, only being named GM days or weeks earlier. He's traded or unsigned the remaining Russian players. Tikhonov is the lone remaining in the system. He's suspended by the organization indefinitely.
I realize this, and we went through the same argument last year about Phoenix and Russians. I think they'd be dumb to pass up on Barbashev just because of stereotyping Russians.

Quote:
As a rookie in 2012-13, Barbashev played wing at the outset, but was ultimately shifted to center and adapted well. Scouts appreciate his compete level, hockey sense and defensive-zone coverage, an uncommon trait in some young Russian players daring to give the North American game a shot.

"It was really important to me, because I want to play in the NHL," Barbashev said. "I was thinking about moving to Canada three years ago. I talked to my father (Dmitri) and agent (J.P. Barry) because, in Canada, that's my style of hockey. The physical game and stuff like that; that's why we moved to Canada."

There's little doubt Barbashev will be one of the first players from the QMJHL selected at the 2014 NHL Draft in June. He and Nikolaj Ehlers of the Halifax Mooseheads are considered to be the top two players from the league eligible for the draft this year.

"Last year was really hard for me [during the adjustment]," Barbashev said. "I really didn't know the language for the first three months. But this season I'm feeling much more comfortable. I learned a lot from last year on and off the ice. I know I need to keep working hard every day in practice."
He's got the drive, the skill, the talent, and the willingness to do what it takes to make it in the NHL. He's not going to get up and go to Russia if the Yotes don't let him play in the NHL right away. Look at the player a little bit more than just see what country he's from and making a blanket statement

Old
03-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Get your own toes
Rookie User

I highly doubt fluery/nylander goes lower than virtanen/kapanen

Get your own toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2014, 03:27 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^I think it because some don't see Fleury as going in the top 10. personally I think he'll just miss the top 10, while the other 3 will go in the top 10.

Old
03-29-2014, 05:57 PM
GeauxPreds

I would be shocked if the preds gambled that high on Virtanen with Kapanen and Nylander still available.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 03:27 AM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

Columbus takes a huge gamble drafting a retired player in the hopes he has Benjamin button syndrome

synobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2014, 11:02 AM
sjci

Quote:
Originally Posted by synobyte View Post
Columbus takes a huge gamble drafting a retired player in the hopes he has Benjamin button syndrome
haha whoops, better fix that