HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we the Bizarro team of the NHL?

Old
03-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
Are we the Bizarro team of the NHL?

Signs point too yes!

Let me start by saying, I would really like this not too turn into a bash thread. The more I think it about, this team is Bizarro to every other NHL franchise. Let me give some examples and feel free too chime in.

1) We need a new arena. We have one of the smallest in the NHL (I believe 2nd smallest) and while everyone is getting larger arenas we somehow get a even smaller one???

2) We needed Goaltending help and we pick up Vanek instead? (I didn't hate the move btw)

3) Just when you think you hit rock bottom with the Owner situation, it actually gets worse.

4) We find a way not only too barely make the cap floor, but actually spend less????

5) We have a #1 Goalie in Luongo who is young just too trade him away for another #1 Goalie just a few years younger and take him with the #1 pick.

I'm sure you can find more "Bizarro" traits with this team over the last 20 years also.

Last edited by Killerlnstinct: 03-24-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
First Oiler fan to say we know what this circus is like.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Le Grec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Signs point too yes!

Let me start by saying, I would really like this not too turn into a bash thread. The more I think it about, this team is Bizarro to every other NHL franchise. Let me give some examples and feel free too chime in.

1) We need a new arena. We have one of the smallest in the NHL (I believe 2nd smallest) and while everyone is getting larger arenas we somehow get a even smaller one???

2) We needed Goaltending help and we pick up Vanek instead? (I didn't hate the move btw)

3) Just when you think you hit rock bottom with the Owner situation, it actually gets worse.

4) We find a way not only too barely make the cap floor, but actually spend less????

5) We have a #1 Goalie in Luongo who is young just too trade him away for another #1 Goalie just a few years younger and take him with the #1 pick.

I'm sure you can find more "Bizarro" traits with this team over the last 20 years also.
Dude, this team is bazarro compared to every North American franchise, in every other sport!!!

Le Grec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Degeneration Rex

It is not specualtion, the Islanders being bizarro is fact.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Isles Fan

One word answer: YES

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 07:46 PM
lacunacoil777

Its true most players, owners, and agents look at Wang and his Islanders the way we look at goldie and his gold wig sitting behind the glass in the first row. Theres really no doubt about it.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 07:47 PM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

rhetorical question....

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 08:07 PM
N Ireland Nets Fan

Only franchise to have guys double jobbing. How many teams have their assistant coach also being the teams assistant GM as well?!?!

Crazy messed up management structure.

N Ireland Nets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 08:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
If Bizarro is another way of saying, "The humiliated bassturd laughingstock of the entire sports world," then yes, this club is Bizarro.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
stranger34

The team is named after Long Island but they are moving to Brooklyn.

Our backup goalie makes front office decisions

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:27 PM
bluechipbonzo

Our most knowledgeable fans don't even live in NY.

If they did, they'd snap up those ten dollar seats.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Macch

hey at least we're not the Cleveland Browns. Right?

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Snapshotgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
You're right. We're worse now.

Snapshotgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:41 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Chicago Cubs? They haven't won the World Series since 1908.

I also think we need to recognize we have soulmates in Alberta in the Edmonton Oilers. It seems everytime I think the Islanders will have a shot at the number 1 pick, the Oilers sneak in and beat us to it. In 2010, 2011 and 2012 they had the 1st overall pick. This year they're ahead of us again and looking at the 2nd pick if things stay as they are.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Poliz24

Oakland Raiders have been bizzare as of late, especially with some of the draft picks in past years and the coaching carousel.

Cleveland browns are up there, no one wants to coach that team, they have drafted alot of busts as well.

Miami Marlins owner got taxpayers to pay for a new ballpark and then traded all of the talent on the team away within a year.

The Dallas Cowboys are the cowboys, but Jerry Jones hasn't won a super bowl since he fired Jimmie Johnson in the early 90s. They spend money, but don't get any results. They could just be unlucky.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
KnishOfTheCrease
Isles/GoldenKnights

Quote:
I'm from Cleveland and am a Browns fan

KnishOfTheCrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
Oakland Raiders have been bizzare as of late, especially with some of the draft picks in past years and the coaching carousel.

Cleveland browns are up there, no one wants to coach that team, they have drafted alot of busts as well.

Miami Marlins owner got taxpayers to pay for a new ballpark and then traded all of the talent on the team away within a year.

The Dallas Cowboys are the cowboys, but Jerry Jones hasn't won a super bowl since he fired Jimmie Johnson in the early 90s. They spend money, but don't get any results. They could just be unlucky.
I'm a Cowboy fan as well.

We are not unlucky. The Cowboys have a GM very similar in terms of experience to that of Snow, on the job training.

Get ready for a "mind blowing" read.

The facts are that I really do think the way things have rolled out that I’m getting to do some of the best work that I’ve done, relatively speaking in my career of these last several years,” Jones said on his weekly radio show on KRLD-FM, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-work-as-g-m/

Old
03-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
I'm from Cleveland and am a Browns fan
You poor thing. There are no words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I'm a Cowboy fan as well.

We are not unlucky. The Cowboys have a GM very similar in terms of experience to that of Snow, on the job training.

Get ready for a "mind blowing" read.

ďThe facts are that I really do think the way things have rolled out that Iím getting to do some of the best work that Iíve done, relatively speaking in my career of these last several years,Ē Jones said on his weekly radio show on KRLD-FM, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-work-as-g-m/

Tony Romo shows up to the Duke/Mercer game. Tony Romo has Duke shirt on. Duke lose to Mercer. Coincidence? I think not

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Quote:
You poor thing. There are no words...

Tony Romo shows up to the Duke/Mercer game. Tony Romo has Duke shirt on. Duke lose to Mercer. Coincidence? I think not
They shame of it all is... He really is a very good QB with no running game (up until last season). He lost games last year putting up 2 30+ point game and one 48 point game. Our Defense is that of the Islanders. Same horrible GM, same horrible results, same bat channel.

Old
03-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Yes. BTW there's a book called Fish Sticks which goes into detail about how bazarro this franchise has been for a long time.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Chardo

Pity the typical fan who roots for the Mets, Jets, Nets, and Islanders. Over last 20 years, it doesn't get worse than that.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 06:30 PM
IslesPanthers11

I have a good one. The man in the broadcast booth has 8 professional hockey championships to his name, 5 playing and 3 coaching. Yet the actual head coach has ZERO. How does this make any sense? Are you kidding me? Not to mention that this broadcaster learned everything he knows about coaching and hockey systems from 2 hall of fame people Al and Bill, several hall of fame players, and countless years coaching pro hockey and WINNING CONSTANTLY. Also, this man was given a lousy 1 year chance with a MINOR league roster, then fired by MILBUM. Have I said enough here? Without a doubt, this is the worst organization in all of sports. at least the cubs have many winning seasons

IslesPanthers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:06 PM
bauerpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Chicago Cubs? They haven't won the World Series since 1908.
My two teams that I live and die by, the Islanders and the Cubs. George Will said that Cub fans are 98% scar tissue. But since I am also an Islander fan, I believe I am 99% scar tissue. I truly believe that the Cubs will win before the Islanders do basically because the Cubs have proven winners and great baseball minds running the team and the Islanders do not have great hockey minds running the team. With that you would have to concur.

bauerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:17 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerpower View Post
My two teams that I live and die by, the Islanders and the Cubs. George Will said that Cub fans are 98% scar tissue. But since I am also an Islander fan, I believe I am 99% scar tissue. I truly believe that the Cubs will win before the Islanders do basically because the Cubs have proven winners and great baseball minds running the team and the Islanders do not have great hockey minds running the team. With that you would have to concur.
Tough call. I think the Islanders are putting together a good nucleus of young players. The move to Brooklyn could bring increased revenue and pressure from the Barclay's front office to spend money.

The Islanders may be just a few good UFA's from being a dangerous team. They made the playoffs last year and came very close to knocking out the Penguins.

The Cubs have to deal with MLB and the real lack of a legit salary cap. I can see the Dodgers the Yankees and Red Sox spending a ton of money on the best players, making it difficult for anyone else to compete.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:50 PM
bauerpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Tough call. I think the Islanders are putting together a good nucleus of young players. The move to Brooklyn could bring increased revenue and pressure from the Barclay's front office to spend money.

The Islanders may be just a few good UFA's from being a dangerous team. They made the playoffs last year and came very close to knocking out the Penguins.

The Cubs have to deal with MLB and the real lack of a legit salary cap. I can see the Dodgers the Yankees and Red Sox spending a ton of money on the best players, making it difficult for anyone else to compete.
Wouldn't this be great if it happens? I really hope that this move has this kind of effect on the team, generating some kind of pressure to win that causes C-Wang to say "This is too much" or "This is more than I bargained for" and as a result selling the team to someone who really wants to win and puts the management pieces in place to accomplish that.

bauerpower is offline   Reply With Quote