HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal - Boston (the rivalry)

Old
03-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
They were the best of friends back in the day. Then Habs fans started walking upright and the rest is history.
One of the funniest things I've read on here. Thanks!

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 02:45 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I hope the guys don't forget they have to play Buffalo tonight

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

There must be something in the waters that says the French and Irish just can't mix.

Also in the storybooks, the word "Bruin" was the name of a Bear that was the fierce enemy of the french "Renard"(the fox).

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 04:16 PM
habfaninvictoria

We've played 33 playoff series against them our record is 24-9 in those series. This stat is somewhat skewed by the fact that they've actually done ok against us in the past few years.

Most of our cups since the 60's have come directly at their expense ... so ya their gonna have a bit of a hate on for us.

Two completely different (historically anyways) philosophies towards the game. Boston have always embraced the goon side of the game. Ironically they've had some of the best players in the game on the their team as well. Obviously Orr .... but look to recent years. They ran Thornton, Kessel, Seguin out of town for the silliest of reasons. We always had tough teams, but have also been able to beat them with speed.

They always whine about the refs and diving etc... we always see red when they employ goon tactics and do their ******** between whistles. They don't seem to acknowledge they have divers. We like poking the bear .... it's like teasing that red head in school with the rampaging temper... it's fun to watch him blow up and completely lose focus ... you just have to ride it out for a couple minutes and when the adrenaline settles take advantage and tease him more.

If any of their fans try to downplay a rivalry they're idiots. It's the best rivalry in sports and IAEC .

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Devourers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
that's exactly what i said and i got many leafs fans ******** when i suggested that most habs fans dont give two ***** about the leafs. to me, everytime they compare one of their to one of ours, i just see it as penis envy. seriously, they always do that and i don't see many, if any, habs fan doing that...

from players to draft picks to coaches to owners to playoff record to cups won, there's not much to envy over there
Why would we choose to compare ourselves to 40+ years of failure? Sure haven't been good, but we didn't just go 7 years no PO, with 40 years no cup, etc.

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 04:35 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
There must be something in the waters that says the French and Irish just can't mix.

Also in the storybooks, the word "Bruin" was the name of a Bear that was the fierce enemy of the french "Renard"(the fox).
Nah. Might be difficult, but it seems to produce the best mods.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Nah. Might be difficult, but it seems to produce the best mods.

Yea it's a generalized comment. For example Chris Nilan grew up in the streets of Boston, I believe. But I always wondered if the divides between the Bruins and Habs wasn't cultural about the cities, one being more french and Boston always had a big Irish contengeant. Wheras those two cultures just don't mix as far as mindset. Or maybe it's both Montreal and Boston fighting for who's the underdog. Montreal is the biggest city in Quebec yet you're the big dog in a minority. While Boston are in the shadow of NYC and they are very blue collar. Somehow those two things create the formula for strife between the two teams.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:08 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:

im doing alright.... even got all my anger issues resolved.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Hugo Sham

didn't know where to put this. look what this ****ing hack wrote today
http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...blame_game_too

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:14 AM
CanadienShark

I "friendly" hate the Leafs.
I hate the Bruins.

That sums it up.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
I hate the Bruins.

That sums it up.
Pretty much this.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 07:15 AM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:

Yea it's a generalized comment. For example Chris Nilan grew up in the streets of Boston, I believe. But I always wondered if the divides between the Bruins and Habs wasn't cultural about the cities, one being more french and Boston always had a big Irish contengeant. Wheras those two cultures just don't mix as far as mindset. Or maybe it's both Montreal and Boston fighting for who's the underdog. Montreal is the biggest city in Quebec yet you're the big dog in a minority. While Boston are in the shadow of NYC and they are very blue collar. Somehow those two things create the formula for strife between the two teams.
Honestly Ive oftened wondered the same. As you say Boston , at least going back a bit, was heavy Irish heritage. But the one thing that puzzled me and Ive never really figured out is that New England overall has a very large population of French Canadian ancestry. Extending as far south as the Merrimack Valley of Mass.. Which is only about 25 miles north of Boston.

The influence of that FC was so dominant that local cable in the town that I lived carried, cant remember which, a Quebec tv station. We could watch Canadiens games (in French).
I used to love watching Habs - Nords games even if I dont speak the language.

Like I said dont know if thats a factor or not but it is something of interest perhaps. At least to me.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Wow - what a total idiot! Imagine using a forum in a major newspaper to throw a hissy fit. Poor little baby...

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 08:48 AM
BJCOLLINS

The B's are competitive and a threat. Love the hate.

The leafs, not so much. They haven't been to the finals since 1967?

The best I've seen, the Habs Vs the Nordiques.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Habs vs B's is the best rivalry in sports! It doesn't matter if one team is good and the other stinks, it doesn't matter if both teams suck or if both are playing great. It seems that each year, every game has a playoff intensity!

From a Bruins fan's perspective, my hatred is generated from far to many playoff disappointments (and I only remember as far back as the late 60's). It seemed like just about every year we would face each other in the playoffs, and just about every year we would lose.

I'm not gonna kid you guys, I both hope for and fear for a Canadians / Bruins match up every year. I love the emotions those series bring out and I always pray for some measure of playoff payback... Unfortunately, I am also scared to death of the match up... Like Pavlov's dogs, I have been conditioned to associate this match up to disappointment (maybe heartbreak would be more accurate) and therefore deeper hatred...

Go Bruins!

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Honestly Ive oftened wondered the same. As you say Boston , at least going back a bit, was heavy Irish heritage. But the one thing that puzzled me and Ive never really figured out is that New England overall has a very large population of French Canadian ancestry. Extending as far south as the Merrimack Valley of Mass.. Which is only about 25 miles north of Boston.

The influence of that FC was so dominant that local cable in the town that I lived carried, cant remember which, a Quebec tv station. We could watch Canadiens games (in French).
I used to love watching Habs - Nords games even if I dont speak the language.

Like I said dont know if thats a factor or not but it is something of interest perhaps. At least to me.
Interesting stuff about New England having french Canadians. I read somewhere that a lot of them immigrated there in the 1800s.

There must have had something that happened somewhere between two french brothers and an Irish girl that made them become enemies forever.

Old
03-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer B View Post
Habs vs B's is the best rivalry in sports! It doesn't matter if one team is good and the other stinks, it doesn't matter if both teams suck or if both are playing great. It seems that each year, every game has a playoff intensity!

From a Bruins fan's perspective, my hatred is generated from far to many playoff disappointments (and I only remember as far back as the late 60's). It seemed like just about every year we would face each other in the playoffs, and just about every year we would lose.

I'm not gonna kid you guys, I both hope for and fear for a Canadians / Bruins match up every year. I love the emotions those series bring out and I always pray for some measure of playoff payback... Unfortunately, I am also scared to death of the match up... Like Pavlov's dogs, I have been conditioned to associate this match up to disappointment (maybe heartbreak would be more accurate) and therefore deeper hatred...

Go Bruins!
Nice to see someone around my age! I also go back to the late 60s and think the rivalry's much more fun these days, with parity guaranteeing that neither team gets too far ahead for too long. I know what you mean about the hope/fear dichotomy -- I keep vacillating between wanting to see another classic matchup between our teams, and wanting to avoid the blood-pressure and intestinal issues that inevitably result.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:37 AM
gillyguzzler

I don't care how it started. I just know that I hate them. I hate Cam Neely. I hate Lucy. I hate Marchand even more. I hate Chara. I hated Ference... actually I still do. I hate their fans. I hate their announcer. I just hate the Boston Bruins. Iginla disrespected all of Canada by signing with these morons. And, above all of them, Claude Julien makes me want to puke every time I see his ugly whining mug. I hate the Bruins.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:40 AM
donghabs98

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
I hate the Bruins.

That sums it up.
It's just leafs fans that make me hate the leafs.
The way the Bruins play+their fans make me hate them.

I probably honestly wouldn't hate the Leafs too much if it wasn't for their fans.

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
It's just leafs fans that make me hate the leafs.
The way the Bruins play+their fans make me hate them.
What I find amusing about this hostile little tango we have going is how each side seems to try to do its best to play out the part handed to it. Season after season, players memorize their lines, and we continue to hate for the same unchanging reasons. In a world that changes faster with each passing year, this constancy is oddly comforting.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
What I find amusing about this hostile little tango we have going is how each side seems to try to do its best to play out the part handed to it. Season after season, players memorize their lines, and we continue to hate for the same unchanging reasons. In a world that changes faster with each passing year, this constancy is oddly comforting.
You still have Clod the Hypocrite behind the bench, and Chara/Lucic/Marchand/Boychuk/Thornton at your core, so yeah... it's easy to hate ********, no matter how good they are at their job.

And we wouldn't want you guys to change for the world.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Burke the Legend

You have to psychologically analyse the behaviour of the average Bostonite to understand the root of the rivalry. To start with, his super-ego is under intense pressure from the bostonite inferiority complex-vis-a-vis new york city. A solid documentary called "The Boston Teens" well exemplifies this sort of Bostonite behaviour found throughout the city. From this crushing inferiority complex stems the false machismo we see from Bostonites, the rage at perceived slights, the overwrought tough guy pack response escalating any physical encounter, the need for repeating primitive slogans of bravado to keep up morale, "boston strong" anyone? Overall outwardly all this adds up to an image that the world outside the boston bubble complex views as a form of cretinism, producing a sort of dislike and rivalry with anyone who shares proximity and frequent interactions with the city (such as Montreal and its hockey team).

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:22 PM
OopyDoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
They were the best of friends back in the day. Then Habs fans started walking upright and the rest is history.
I had to read this like three times before I got it!! The coffee up my nose hurt DAMN IT!!

OopyDoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:26 PM
OopyDoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
My hatred for the leafs has nothing to do with their team but the 'toronto-centric' mentality of all hockey canada. Same here in the states, everything is NY center. So when the lose or do not make the playoffs I see all of the media go into a major depression. If the Habs are the only Canadian team to make it then I will love this even more..

My hatred for the Bruins goes way back to how nasty they get when they can not win. I love how we beat them when it counts and how nasty and bad they get when it is happening. I hate them for how they try to intimidate us or pull a chara/mclaren with cheap shots, not meant to make a statement but to injure someone. They are the sorest of losers and act like 3 year olds when someone has something they do not have.

I root for 3 teams--the HABS, AND THE 2 TEAMS PLAYING THE leafs and bruins.
This

OopyDoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
I get a major fanboyism vibe from the Boston sports media culture.

An emotional HF poster could write something more neutral than this guy.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote