HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Looking to Get an Electric Guitar...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2005, 10:44 PM
  #1
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,718
vCash: 500
Looking to Get an Electric Guitar...

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a brand spanking new electric guitar. I currently own a Seagull M6 acoustic but I'm looking to buy an electric now. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing and I have no idea where to start looking.

I'm looking to spend about medium range (whatever that is... ) and I'm a big fan of indie rock and alternative music. Any suggestions as to what kind of guitar and amp I should buy? How much should I be looking at spending? Thanks in advance...

Cerebral is online now  
Old
08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
  #2
kira
Registered User
 
kira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: www.datsyuk13.com
Country: Ireland
Posts: 15,694
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
www.elderly.com

Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI...great people to work with and they can answer your questions.

kira is offline  
Old
08-15-2005, 11:01 PM
  #3
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a brand spanking new electric guitar. I currently own a Seagull M6 acoustic but I'm looking to buy an electric now. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing and I have no idea where to start looking.

I'm looking to spend about medium range (whatever that is... ) and I'm a big fan of indie rock and alternative music. Any suggestions as to what kind of guitar and amp I should buy? How much should I be looking at spending? Thanks in advance...

I feel lazy so I'll just say one thing. DON'T BUY A NEW AMP....you'll pay through the nose for it . Look for a used amp.

tritone is offline  
Old
08-15-2005, 11:11 PM
  #4
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
http://www.music123.com/Fender-Stand...r-i44631.music

That would pretty much be the only lower-priced guitar I'd mention specifically. I've played them, and they play better then most guitars twice their price.

Other than that, I'd say look for something used. I'd still recommend a Strat; you can honestly play anything on these guitars. Single Coils > Humbuckers.

And tritone is pretty much right on, I wouldn't buy a new amp. Look for a used Tube amp - the brand would really depend on what type of sound you're aiming for.

Brad* is offline  
Old
08-15-2005, 11:13 PM
  #5
kira
Registered User
 
kira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: www.datsyuk13.com
Country: Ireland
Posts: 15,694
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Though I am not a guitar player, I'll go along with the tube amp idea, because they have such a nice, mellow sound to them.

kira is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
  #6
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Some first time advice for a guitar player.

Don't buy a CRATE amp because they're garbage. Secondly, don't buy Elixir strings. For thirty dollars you can get five pairs of SIT strings which last just as long if not longer.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 12:29 AM
  #7
2112
Registered User
 
2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to 2112
Epiphone Les Paul. Looks like the real thing and plays like the real thing..but it's cheaper in price.

2112 is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 12:33 AM
  #8
Nikkowar
Registered User
 
Nikkowar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Darby
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Epiphone Les Paul. Looks like the real thing and plays like the real thing..but it's cheaper in price.
I've got one of those,it's wonderful

Nikkowar is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 12:56 AM
  #9
kingbrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
Whatever kind of guitar you get, dont play Simple Plan with it!

kingbrath is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 12:59 AM
  #10
Broadway Brett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Florida, but born in
Country: United States
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
pfffffffft. Electric guitars?

Get an air guitar. You can carry it around everywhere and it's alot cheaper.

Broadway Brett is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 01:34 AM
  #11
kingbrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Kessel
pfffffffft. Electric guitars?

Get an air guitar. You can carry it around everywhere and it's alot cheaper.

That way you can play it infront of all your air friends!

kingbrath is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 04:02 PM
  #12
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Epiphone Les Paul. Looks like the real thing and plays like the real thing..but it's cheaper in price.
I've been looking at these for a little while and my one friend recommended them as well. How much would I be looking at spending for a decent model?

Cerebral is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 04:09 PM
  #13
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,718
vCash: 500
This guy looks pretty decent:

https://www.secure.guitarworksonline...roducts_id=532

Any thoughts?

Cerebral is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
  #14
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,718
vCash: 500
Another friend recommended this one:

https://www.secure.guitarworksonline...roducts_id=586

Cerebral is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 04:20 PM
  #15
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,337
vCash: 500
Just look for instruments that are versatile. You may not like indie rock 5 years from now.

If you were just starting out playing the guitar, I'd say don't spend more than 500 on the amp and guitar combined, because there's always a chance you drop it after a month. But if you've played the acoustic for a while and you think you'll stick with the electric, really, spend as much as you can. Really, you're going to get what you pay for.

As for amps I would recommend getting a Line 6 amp. They're incredibly versatile and can give you tones that are reminiscent of a various range of classic amps.

Jacob is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 04:20 PM
  #16
Broadway Brett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Florida, but born in
Country: United States
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrath
That way you can play it infront of all your air friends!
DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO TRUTHFUL?!?!?


Broadway Brett is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 04:27 PM
  #17
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Just look for instruments that are versatile. You may not like indie rock 5 years from now.

If you were just starting out playing the guitar, I'd say don't spend more than 500 on the amp and guitar combined, because there's always a chance you drop it after a month. But if you've played the acoustic for a while and you think you'll stick with the electric, really, spend as much as you can. Really, you're going to get what you pay for.

As for amps I would recommend getting a Line 6 amp. They're incredibly versatile and can give you tones that are reminiscent of a various range of classic amps.
I've been playing acoustic for a couple of years so I feel pretty comfortable dropping a decent amout of money on an electric. I don't want to go cheap because I'll just end up buying a nicer one in a year or so that will cost me more money in the long run.

Any recommendations on a guitar in particular? Some of the Epiphone Les Paul models look pretty nice and the one Ibanez looks decent as well...

Cerebral is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 05:21 PM
  #18
Nikkowar
Registered User
 
Nikkowar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Darby
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
This guy looks pretty decent:

https://www.secure.guitarworksonline...roducts_id=532

Any thoughts?
That guitar is gorgeous.

Nikkowar is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:24 PM
  #19
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzapieflyphillifan
That guitar is gorgeous.
It's my favorite that I've seen so far. I think I'm going to go out and give it a try this weekend... the price isn't too bad either!

Cerebral is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:28 PM
  #20
2112
Registered User
 
2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Another friend recommended this one:

https://www.secure.guitarworksonline...roducts_id=586
That's the one I am looking at as well (except my finish is in ebony). The Epiphones are awesome and that would be my number one choice if I were you..the only reason I dont have one yet is because I have to spend all my money on university next year.

But definately try them out at some shops that have them in, they usually love it when you try them out (just dont play Stairway To heaven ) .

2112 is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
  #21
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
But definately try them out at some shops that have them in, they usually love it when you try them out (just dont play Stairway To heaven ) .
I'm a big fan of busting out Blackbird instead...

I might be the only one but I think this guitar is pretty awesome:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?...CollectionID=6

Cerebral is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
  #22
Nikkowar
Registered User
 
Nikkowar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Darby
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
It's my favorite that I've seen so far. I think I'm going to go out and give it a try this weekend... the price isn't too bad either!
That's a good idea. Epiphones play great,I have one,I'll show it to everyone in a minute

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guita...l_standard.jpg

Nikkowar is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 08:20 PM
  #23
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Epiphone's are nice, but their pickups are garbage. At least they're upgradeable.

Brad* is offline  
Old
08-17-2005, 12:31 AM
  #24
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzapieflyphillifan
That's a good idea. Epiphones play great,I have one,I'll show it to everyone in a minute

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guita...l_standard.jpg
I ended up grabbing a similar guitar in blue tonight. I was going to buy an Ibanez but the Epiphone played a lot better. I picked up a Spider II 15 amp from Line 6.

http://www.line6.com/spiderii/15.html

It sounds pretty solid and I got it really cheap. Any thoughts on it?

Cerebral is online now  
Old
08-17-2005, 01:15 AM
  #25
Nikkowar
Registered User
 
Nikkowar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Darby
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I ended up grabbing a similar guitar in blue tonight. I was going to buy an Ibanez but the Epiphone played a lot better. I picked up a Spider II 15 amp from Line 6.

http://www.line6.com/spiderii/15.html

It sounds pretty solid and I got it really cheap. Any thoughts on it?
hahaha,amps,not my thing,you'll have to get someone else's opinion on those.

Nikkowar is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.