Waiver draft

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Hank

vCash: 500
Waiver draft

TSN has a list of exposed players... link

Two names jump out at me... Todd Simpson and Todd Harvey. Simpson is a reasonably cheap (1.5mm) upgrade over Vish and Ward. Harvey is a major upgrade on the 4th line over Severson and he's not that expensive... 1.3mm.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Jshibley

Send a message via AIM to Jshibley Send a message via Yahoo to Jshibley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
TSN has a list of exposed players... link

Two names jump out at me... Todd Simpson and Todd Harvey. Simpson is a reasonably cheap (1.5mm) upgrade over Vish and Ward. Harvey is a major upgrade on the 4th line over Severson and he's not that expensive... 1.3mm.
haha we still have the rights to nikoli tsulgin??? crazy didn't we draft him like 10 years ago?

Old
10-01-2003, 12:47 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
1.3 million IS expensive for a 4th liner ... heck, it's more than Kariya makes!!!

Old
10-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Harvey is hard nosed but extremely injury prone
Dan Bylsma was exposed so the team could protect Burnett apparently
Other Ex-Ducks:
Steve Shields
Rob Valicevic
Pavel Trnka
Patrick Traverse
J.F. Damphousse
Pascal Trepanier

Old
10-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

I figure Bylsma was left unprotected to Johnson, not Burnett, could make it. Probably since he's injured, and if we lose Johnson, we lose Bylsma's replacement for however long he's injured. If we lose Bylsma, we still have Johnson all year.

Some pretty big names, like Joseph, Bure, and Boucher. A surprise was that Pierre Turgeon is protected. It was my indication Dallas didn't want him at all. Maybe they think he'll rebound.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:45 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt
1.3 million IS expensive for a 4th liner ... heck, it's more than Kariya makes!!!
Who would rather have on our 4th line, Thomas or Harvey? That way the kids get a chance to play.

I think it wouldn't be a bad move to get him... like you've all said he is an upgrade at that position...

Old
10-01-2003, 01:51 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Nobody is going to take Bylsma considering he is injured for another 4-6 months.

We aren't going to take Harvey or anybody else.

It's funny that Nikolai Tsulygin is still on our list though
(1993 2nd rd pick...22 NHL games in 1996/1997...been in Russia since 1998)

Old
10-01-2003, 03:08 PM
cheesymc

Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
Hey how about Boulton... he appears to be a legit enforcer...is it worth the money for a guy with more experience over a guy like Burnett?

Also, im surprised boucher is left out there... maybe a team like the Avs might pick him up...(i hope not, i have aebicher in my fantasy league)

Old
10-01-2003, 03:32 PM
quad

I'll take Chris Therien or Todd Simpson over Ward every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They might not fit into the budget though. I say to Brian pick up Simpson or Therien and expose Ward.

Then pack Vish and a draft to Edmonton for Comrie - ahh the pleasures of being a computer GM.

As for Harvey thanks but no thanks.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Maxim Balmochnykh anyone?

I don't expect any teams to make any moves. If you take a player, you have to expose one of your own and I doubt there is any interest with this list.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:47 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad
I'll take Chris Therien or Todd Simpson over Ward every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They might not fit into the budget though. I say to Brian pick up Simpson or Therien and expose Ward.

Then pack Vish and a draft to Edmonton for Comrie - ahh the pleasures of being a computer GM.

As for Harvey thanks but no thanks.
ward is on contract for 2 years at 500,000 the first year and 525,000 the second...thats perfect for a 7th defensmen...we dont need a million dollar 7th defensemen.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:55 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

According to today's LA Times, Murray said it was "doubtful" that he would take a player in the waiver draft.

The Times also talks about how hard Getzlaf is working to try to make the team, and that Murray said that there is room in the budget for a Getzlaf contract...

but what I was wondering is why the LA Times has repeatedly said ,over the last week or so, that Getzlaf and Lupul are competing for the last spot on the team. Is this just an LA Times view on the situation, or has a Mighty Ducks source told them that they are in competition for one spot?

Old
10-02-2003, 01:32 AM
fez

Harvery jumped out at me too, but just as a thought.

I like Harold Druken, I got to watch him play in Vancouver, he was a game changing kind of guy, high energy, dont know why the Canucks gave up on him, hed be good for cincy, but not at the expense of exposing someone. Just dreaming.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:19 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
ward is on contract for 2 years at 500,000 the first year and 525,000 the second...thats perfect for a 7th defensmen...we dont need a million dollar 7th defensemen.
Only problem with this statement is that Simpson is good enough to be a 5th defenseman on this team. He and Sauer would be a great 3rd pair. Keep Ward as the 7th and trade Vish. Or keep Vish as the 7th and hope he finally grows into some of that "potential" we're always hearing about. Either way the club gets a lot better and deeper, IMO.

Unfortunately, like you said, Murray is on record saying he won't take a player.

Old
10-02-2003, 08:50 AM
Kick Save

If Murray said that it is "doubtful" that the Ducks will take anyone in the Waiver Draft it's not the same as if he said the Ducks would not take anyone. He left himself some wriggle room.

Old
10-02-2003, 10:40 AM
austroduck

travis green anyone?

Old
10-02-2003, 11:53 AM
cheesymc

Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
this is pretty sad... vish has truely turned into last yrs Trnka...

I just hope Vish has put some dedication in the offseason... he really needed to bulk up about 10 lbs to work better in the corners and especially in front of the net. I still have hope that he becomes a Fetisov-type of player.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:26 PM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesymc
Is it any surprise that a defenseman getting 8-13 minutes from his coach is thought of that way? Hope doesn't win hockey games...

Old
10-02-2003, 01:35 PM
austroduck

imho the problem with vish is, that he was drafted very high (5th? overall). the ducks passed on many good players to grab him.... so it is clear that everybody has high expectations on this kid.

if vish was drafted 2nd/3rd round, less fans would complain about his performance on ice.

the only sad thing is, that the ducks indeed could have picked him up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Old
10-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesymc

I just hope Vish has put some dedication in the offseason... he really needed to bulk up about 10 lbs to work better in the corners and especially in front of the net. I still have hope that he becomes a Fetisov-type of player.
Fetisov was as good as he was partly because he was so intelligent. Vish may or may not be a smart person, I have no idea, but he's not a smart hockey player at all.
He looks to me as if he has a couple scenarios in his head at all times and is always trying to figure out the correct way to react. It leaves him behind the play. There's no instinct to him.

Old
10-02-2003, 03:37 PM
quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Therien would be a #3-4 D-Man on the Ducks. We are still lacking a big punishing D-Man but his salary will keep him in Philly (2.6 Mil)
Simpson would at least be a #5 D-Man - Before Vish or Ward but again his salary is probably the stumbling block.

Old
10-02-2003, 03:38 PM
kenabnrmal

I still wouldn't move Vish unless it was a great deal coming the other way. As long as he's been in Anaheim, he's still a young d-man. Defensemen often take a good while to develop their games at the NHL level, and very often draw the ire of the hometown fans before ultimately winning them over. Pronger and Jovo are two that immediately come to mind, although this isn't to suggest Vish will be as good as those two. I don't think Vish is untouchable, but I don't think you bring in Simpson or Therien and deal Vish off unless you have one hell of a deal in place. He still has upside.

I don't see Murray making any moves, unless someone takes Bylsma. There just aren't any real glaring holes in the back end of the line up that one of the availiable guys could fill, especially when you consider the lineup with the injured back in it. I still wouldn't be annoyed if they picked up Harvey or Simpson. Both are solid vets.

I see Shields getting picked up somewhere as a backup. Don't see Colorado thinking they have any better of a shot with Boucher than they do with Aebisher...for better or worse.

Old
10-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal

I see Shields getting picked up somewhere as a backup. Don't see Colorado thinking they have any better of a shot with Boucher than they do with Aebisher...for better or worse.
On the contrary, they do have a better shot with Boucher than they do Abeischer IMO. Boucher is a proven playoff goalie, while, Abeischer is not. Boucher will do quite well as a starter behind the best offense in the league.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:29 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
On the contrary, they do have a better shot with Boucher than they do Abeischer IMO. Boucher is a proven playoff goalie, while, Abeischer is not. Boucher will do quite well as a starter behind the best offense in the league.
You think that. I MIGHT agree with you. But I highly doubt the Avs feel the same way. I think they are gonna give Abby a shot to win them over. They'll stick with him till at least christmas, I think.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
You're on crack, man. Boucher hasn't done SQUAT since his rookie year. He was f'ing AWFUL last year for the Yotes. He'll have trouble even sticking as a backup anywhere.

Closed Thread