HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Old
03-31-2014, 12:44 PM
BobBobrovsky*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
It's a complete unknown. Some people will argue stuff, but there's too many impondérables..

It dépends on whether or not Minny wants to sign him. How much it's willing to offer. How much WE are willing to offer considering our cap position. How much other teams are willing to offer.
Pure speculation. Vanek has never said that he wants to play for the Wild. It's believed that because he played college hockey there, and his wife, who he met in college, is from there, and because he's building a house there, that he has to go back there and play for the Wild. None of us know if this is at all true. Vanek signed a long-term offer sheet with Edmonton a few years ago, which, last I checked, is not in Minnesota, or even in the U.S., for that matter. I believe that at the end of the day, Vanek will tell his wife where he will be signing, not the other way around. She knows who the bread-winner in the family is. I think the Habs have a very good shot at keeping him. Very good.

P.S. Is there a single married person here who wants to live near their in-laws, free baby-sitting services or not? I would never live near mine, and I even like them (sort of).

BobBobrovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 01:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBobrovsky View Post
Pure speculation. Vanek has never said that he wants to play for the Wild. It's believed that because he played college hockey there, and his wife, who he met in college, is from there, and because he's building a house there, that he has to go back there and play for the Wild. None of us know if this is at all true.
Well actually it's all true. What we don't know is how much importance it has to Vanek. It's what you would call "circumstantial evidence" and on the face of it, it certainly works in favor of Minnesota. But of course, that's all speculation.

Quote:
Vanek signed a long-term offer sheet with Edmonton a few years ago, which, last I checked, is not in Minnesota, or even in the U.S., for that matter. I believe that at the end of the day, Vanek will tell his wife where he will be signing, not the other way around. She knows who the bread-winner in the family is. I think the Habs have a very good shot at keeping him. Very good.
I don't think that has any bearing on the decision he has to make today. That was 7 years ago. His next contract will probably be his last one. It's entirely possible he signed that 7 year deal to play in Edmonton yet still planned to finish his career in Minnesota when it was up.

The only person who knows what he'll do is Vanek. So far, Montreal has done everything right in terms of keeping him here - the team is playing great, he's producing and finding chemistry with his teammates, the fans love him...a good playoff run could be another feather in our cap but we'll have to see what happens. Assuming Bergevin is ready to open his wallet, there's not a whole lot more we could do to convince him to stay.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:

P.S. Is there a single married person here who wants to live near their in-laws, free baby-sitting services or not? I would never live near mine, and I even like them (sort of).
Good point.

I now have that image of a classy european guy sighting all week end long while visiting his in-laws in Minny because they are a bunch of morons organizing tractor races in their backyard or something like that.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 02:10 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I actually like my inlaws... so I wouldn't mind.

I mean, "near" being something like a 30-40 minutes drive.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 04:02 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
vanek will go, simply to wherever will pay him the most,its as SIMPLE as that

now do WE want him here for 7 to 8 years?

if bergy could somehow make it a 6 year deal worth the most money, thatd be awesome, but its going to be very difficult

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I actually like my inlaws... so I wouldn't mind.

I mean, "near" being something like a 30-40 minutes drive.
Dude , don't try to be a hero your wife and in-laws don't read this board.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:04 PM
la25ecoupe

How was the Tavares Vanek duo? it didn't work out?

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:11 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

if bergy could somehow make it a 6 year deal worth the most money, thatd be awesome, but its going to be very difficult
I have no doubt we'll have to pay through the nose for him.

I'd rather wait to worry about the last 3 years of an 8 year contract when it actually comes to that time, rather then not sign him at all.

It'll be a bit of a risk but it'll be our best chance at being a contender for the next 5 years. Really that's the bottom line.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
How was the Tavares Vanek duo? it didn't work out?
In case you're joking, Tavares-Vanek-Okposo was one of the hottest lines in the league 5 on 5.

http://islanderspointblank.com/islan...s-best-combos/

What's scary to me is that not just one but both of Boston's first two lines are up there as well.

I'm not sure why Vanek's passing is so underrated. He did the exact same thing during his short stint with the islanders. I think that if he keeps it up that can add to his longevity in his later years as his production begins to falter.

Thomas Vanek shows Islanders he can pass as well as shoot

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...hoot-1.6775543

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Scriptor

Quote:
YAR BACK!!!

Some of us got worried
You probably mean, pining

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

8 year deal . Lock and load. **** off Minnesota and everyone else who can't match thanks to the wonder of the new CBA.

Hope for 5 years of production , get Montreal into the cup conversation for 3 . Start new window .

Old
03-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well actually it's all true. What we don't know is how much importance it has to Vanek. It's what you would call "circumstantial evidence" and on the face of it, it certainly works in favor of Minnesota. But of course, that's all speculation.

I don't think that has any bearing on the decision he has to make today. That was 7 years ago. His next contract will probably be his last one. It's entirely possible he signed that 7 year deal to play in Edmonton yet still planned to finish his career in Minnesota when it was up.

The only person who knows what he'll do is Vanek. So far, Montreal has done everything right in terms of keeping him here - the team is playing great, he's producing and finding chemistry with his teammates, the fans love him...a good playoff run could be another feather in our cap but we'll have to see what happens. Assuming Bergevin is ready to open his wallet, there's not a whole lot more we could do to convince him to stay.
Let's just settle on agreeing that MINN wouldn't exactly be off-puttish for Vanek and his family….

Old
03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
8 year deal . Lock and load. **** off Minnesota and everyone else who can't match thanks to the wonder of the new CBA.

Hope for 5 years of production , get Montreal into the cup conversation for 3 . Start new window .
I agree with this.

Give him what he wants. Be done with it.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

I was going to say something similar. If we can add a goal scorer of Vanek's caliber during our cup window for the next 4-5 years then I say go for it, especially if it brings us a cup. He can always be traded or bought out if worse comes to worse. Only thing is you gotta ask yourself how much will Patches ask for if Vanek signs here and gets 7x7 or 8x8. He already took one hometown discount, not sure if he'd do it again.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I was going to say something similar. If we can add a goal scorer of Vanek's caliber during our cup window for the next 4-5 years then I say go for it, especially if it brings us a cup. He can always be traded or bought out if worse comes to worse. Only thing is you gotta ask yourself how much will Patches ask for if Vanek signs here and gets 7x7 or 8x8. He already took one hometown discount, not sure if he'd do it again.
Good point but max is locked up for 4 more years. All the more reason to create this window .

Old
03-31-2014, 07:53 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
You probably mean, pining
Be cool, man

Old
03-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Scriptor

Geez. Wasn't being mean or uncool. At least, didn't think I was. Playfully sarcastic, maybe, would be more the words I would've used.

Old
03-31-2014, 09:20 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
Geez. Wasn't being mean or uncool. At least, didn't think I was. Playfully sarcastic, maybe, would be more the words I would've used.
(sorry, my joke did not came across. I meant it like you'd say a wingman: don't start saying how we actually behaved to the girl. Just accept whatever story we make up)

Old
03-31-2014, 09:42 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
It's a complete unknown. Some people will argue stuff, but there's too many impondérables..

It dépends on whether or not Minny wants to sign him. How much it's willing to offer. How much WE are willing to offer considering our cap position. How much other teams are willing to offer.
Minnesota has a recent history of signing big players though (Heatley, Parise, Sutter, keeping Gaborik for so long) so it would surprise me to see them not offer him something. On the other hand, I think that we're definitely gonna send him a competitive offer.

I feel as though a lot of people are arguing that minnesota is a lock because of his wife, but to me it's kinda weird to tell your husband who makes one of the highest salaries in the world (a top 0.001%-er if you will) that "you have to go here because that's what I WANT!!". Either way, he's got some killer chemistry with the team right off the bat, we're on the way up and MTL is a great place to raise your young family (not that Minnesota is not; I feel like it probably is) and there are a lot of intangibles that could work in our favour if Vanek decides to sign on a team for personal reasons. Really feel like he'd be flirting with 40 goals over a full season with the habs.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 09:43 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Vanek does help tremendously in winning a cup as long as he's here. With the evolution of our young players (ie the Gallys become legit top6 players&Tinordi and/or Beaulieu replace Bouillon&Murray)) and if we acquire a top4 d rental next year (at deadline probably, we wouldn't afford both Vanek and the hypothetical D as UFAs) we might very well have a juggernaught team.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Fearnot

Quote:
Just stopping by to say that Vanek turned down being the highest payed player in the league for the sabres so I'm not sure it's as simple as that. He does want to win.

Fearnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:00 PM
ChoseLa

Vanek can't be signed to a 8 years contract, he needs to be playing with the same team all year long, Habs dont have the advantage here, the most anyone can sign him to is 7 years.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:39 PM
HABS win CUPS*

our advantage tho is that he clearly has some chemistry with our top line and is fitting in well with our core group of players which can be hard to do

our position to sign him is stronger i think just from having him play here - if we make a really serious money offer id bet he takes it esp if he likes our chances in the playoffs in the future

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Vanek can't be signed to a 8 years contract, he needs to be playing with the same team all year long, Habs dont have the advantage here, the most anyone can sign him to is 7 years.
Where did you see this?

from capgeek:

CONTRACT LIMITS
Maximum contract length is seven years, but extends to eight if a club is re-signing its own player. The eight-year re-signing option expires for UFAs with the opening of free agency on July 1.

edit: and from the CBA itself
An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent.

So as long as he was on our Reserve List as of the trade deadline (which he was), we can sign him to 8 years...

Last edited by Shutdown: 04-01-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:53 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
Where did you see this?

from capgeek:

CONTRACT LIMITS
Maximum contract length is seven years, but extends to eight if a club is re-signing its own player. The eight-year re-signing option expires for UFAs with the opening of free agency on July 1.

edit: and from the CBA itself
An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent.

So as long as he was on our Reserve List as of the trade deadline (which he was), we can sign him to 8 years...
It was said on TDL, happy i'm wrong.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote