HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Old
04-07-2014, 08:31 AM
BobBobrovsky*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Vanek has made the team so much better. I didn't see them getting out of the first round before the trade but now the sky's the limit.

I would be curious to see what Vanek could do with other line mates just to balance things out a bit.
Then try and have some dreams about it. Otherwise, it's an idiotic idea. The Habs are winning, AND FINALLY SCORING FIVE ON FIVE GOALS REGULARLY, with the current lines.

BobBobrovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:37 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Vanek has made the team so much better. I didn't see them getting out of the first round before the trade but now the sky's the limit.

I would be curious to see what Vanek could do with other line mates just to balance things out a bit.
I agree. Balance will be critical. The deeper you go in the playoffs the higher the probability the opposing playoff team will be capable of shutting down your first line. (there are exceptions like Chicago and Boston) Scoring depth beyond the 1 st line is more difficult to control. TV and Patch make any line they play on a scoring line. There will be times you need the ability to mix and match, to throw a TV against the second or third pair on the opposing team. That was my thought when I said it would not have been a bad idea to let him play on other lines and see those players close up and let them see him. Playoff hockey becomes a game of quick short passing because of the absence of time and space, not to mention the physicality of it .If you can not make accurate quick short passes in the offensive zone (two of the three first liners have trouble doing this) and go to the boards hard with all three men, another defect, what can you do.Small non physical players tend to disappear in the playoffs after they get banged around , generally speaking, unless of course they are Martin St Louis. So how does DD fit? We will see. . This is all so obvious and basic stuff.

Some here are high on that line in the playoffs. I wish I was and hope I am wrong .I watched what Tampa did to them in the last game. (did anybody else notice.)

Last edited by borisbadenough: 04-08-2014 at 01:33 PM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Blizzard19

I simply cannot get past how good he has consistently played since coming. Habs could very well be the team to beat!!

Blizzard19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:05 PM
PricePkPatch*

Okay.

A guy on the trading board (Domino11) wrote that Vanek's wife said in an interview that she loves Montreal, and that Vanek himself feels the city feels like an European city.

I looked around in google, but couldn't find any proof to back this up. I wrote a PM to the guy but he hasn't got back to me yet. I was wondering if anyone of you guys heard something similar?

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:28 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Okay.

A guy on the trading board (Domino11) wrote that Vanek's wife said in an interview that she loves Montreal, and that Vanek himself feels the city feels like an European city.

I looked around in google, but couldn't find any proof to back this up. I wrote a PM to the guy but he hasn't got back to me yet. I was wondering if anyone of you guys heard something similar?
God, let this be true. Please. Please.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:31 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
God, let this be true. Please. Please.
Dude. It's E5 degree of validity so far. The guy doesn't even have an avatar.

Old
04-08-2014, 12:33 PM
SouthernHab
Lost An Avy Bet...

Quote:
Okay.

Big piles of cash will also help Vanek's wife fall more deeply in love with Montreal.

Bergevin will have to act pretty fast after the season is over.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:34 PM
SouthernHab
Lost An Avy Bet...

Quote:
Dude. It's E5 degree of validity so far. The guy doesn't even have an avatar.

No avatar..........cant be trusted.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:36 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Meaning, maybe he's just a random poster who has no idea what he's doing and just spew stupidities.

Or not.

Which is why I ask people here if they even heard anything regarding this so-called interview.

Old
04-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

No avatar is a pretty good hint that you've got an accomplished troll on your hands.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Gally11

Only article I could find was on a website I've never heard of:

http://www.hockey30.com/nouvelles/no...orent-montral/

I did find this interesting quote from Vanek talking abou DD/Patches

Quote:
“I think we’re getting better every game,” Vanek said. “I think the way I see the ice and I play the game, it’s just for me to talk to them a lot and let them know what I see. I think as long as they agree and they don’t mind – which they don’t seem to – I can make them better players, and they can make me a hell of a lot better, too.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/three-p...211258208.html

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:52 PM
PricePkPatch*

Okay. Apparently, Domino11 heard that by Renaud Lavoie on "Le Match", on TVA Sport.

Lavoie is rather reliable, right?

Old
04-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Gally11

What's there not to love about MTL for girls anyway.. Every gf I've ever had sure seemed to love visits there according to the bills after

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

If we can get both him and Subban signed at around 7.5-8 mil/year for 6-8 years and Markov 2 years at 5.5-6 mil, that would be a great off season.

The rest of the pieces can be moved/bought out to make the necessary room...Moen Briere Bourque

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:22 AM
Runner77

vCash: 122
Le Match pointing out that since Vanek's arrival, Habs have scored 40 goals during 5 on 5 play. Vanek has logged 15 games, so 2.67 goals per game.

What was the Habs GPG average during 5 on 5 before Vanek?

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:27 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Le Match pointing out that since Vanek's arrival, Habs have scored 40 goals during 5 on 5 play. Vanek has logged 15 games, so 2.67 goals per game.
Take that with a grain of salt though; at 5-on-5, 12 of the last 43 shots have gone in. In 4 of our last 5 games we've been firing at 19% or better. That kind of puck luck just won't last.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Runner77

vCash: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Take that with a grain of salt though; at 5-on-5, 12 of the last 43 shots have gone in. In 4 of our last 5 games we've been firing at 19% or better. That kind of puck luck just won't last.
No doubt, it's a short sample size and not scientific, by any means. If Vanek signed and played a full season with the Habs, other teams would surely adjust and limit his line's fireworks. However, I can't help but think that a player of his ilk fills an important role in shoring up 5 on 5 stats.

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 08:17 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
No doubt, it's a short sample size and not scientific, by any means. If Vanek signed and played a full season with the Habs, other teams would surely adjust and limit his line's fireworks. However, I can't help but think that a player of his ilk fills an important role in shoring up 5 on 5 stats.
Good teams are limiting them now. Did you watch the Tampa , CBJ and Boston games or the last west coast swing? Not sure the first line has the quick, accurate passing skills to negate it. In the play offs you better know what you are going to do with the puck at 1000-2. lol

Last edited by borisbadenough: 04-09-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old
04-09-2014, 08:21 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbadenough View Post
Good teams are limiting them now. Did you watch the Tampa , CBJ and Boston games or the last west coast swing. That is how they will defense him in the playoffs.
And this is why key to our victory will be secondary scoring.

Plek, Chuck, Gally, Briere, Gionta, Eller, Prust, Weise, Bournival..

They will be the key to winning

Old
04-09-2014, 08:30 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
And this is why key to our victory will be secondary scoring.

Plek, Chuck, Gally, Briere, Gionta, Eller, Prust, Weise, Bournival..

They will be the key to winning
Absolutely correct. Secondary scoring. (and pp and pk efficiency)

It is also nice to have the flexibility to split your top line up ,on occasion, to get the match up you need . Vanek or Patch rotating through on another line a couple of times. (in search of that second and third pair)

If these guys start to play their "me" games it is over.

Old
04-09-2014, 08:36 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbadenough View Post
Absolutely correct. Secondary scoring. (and pp and pk efficiency)

It is also nice to have the flexibility to split your top line up ,on occasion, to get the match up you need . Vanek or Patch rotating through on another line a couple of times. (in search of that second and third pair)

If these guys start to play their "me" games it is over.
I think Therrien has his locker room well in hand. If he starts playing with his lines, his player will follow.

Old
04-09-2014, 08:37 AM
De Montreal
help

Havent had a dangerous force like Vanek since Kovalev. Thinking about it they are quite similar in many aspects: size, puck control, underrated playmaking skills, etc.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 08:49 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Havent had a dangerous force like Vanek since Kovalev. Thinking about it they are quite similar in many aspects: size, puck control, underrated playmaking skills, etc.
Yep. Very similar assist wise. he is a better playmaker than most 2nd line centers as was Kovelev.( who played on much better teams on average) lol.TV has 80-90pt potential with the right line mates in a full season and a top 15 pp imo. Will he ever achieve that? Who knows. Depends on where he goes. Boston or Detroit. Look out.

Last edited by borisbadenough: 04-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old
04-10-2014, 09:04 AM
FazChenyuk

As I mentioned I think he could do much better, I don't know if its age or just a lack of motivation because season is ending he might be tired. But he is what we expected so far.

I have a feeling he is gonna sign in Montreal, he has said it himself that Montreal reminds him of a EURO city where fans are passionate about hockey. There are so many euros on the team, it might convince him to stay.

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:22 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I've always been skeptical that Vanek signs with Minny. He's still young, he can sign 8 years here and still finish his career in Minnesota if he wants. He can also live there in the summer, I'm sure he can afford that too.

Players rarely seem to go where people think. If he likes it here, why not stay? Its not a bad time to join this team, he gets great offensive minutes on a line that clicks well and the team is on the rise so he has a chance to win in the next years.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote