HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Old
04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
borisbadenough

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
As I mentioned I think he could do much better, I don't know if its age or just a lack of motivation because season is ending he might be tired. But he is what we expected so far.

I have a feeling he is gonna sign in Montreal, he has said it himself that Montreal reminds him of a EURO city where fans are passionate about hockey. There are so many euros on the team, it might convince him to stay.
some have different feelings lol

Last edited by borisbadenough: 04-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Sleight Of Hand
Mean Streets

I am not a Habs fan. But I believe Montreal is the best fit for his style of play. When that trade was made it seemed perfect and he has played very well since arriving. If he goes to MN I think he will be disappointed with the 'style'. Just my opinion....that it would be a mistake to leave.

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 01:17 PM
borisbadenough

Why would he sign to play with a line that has two guys that play a different game than he does? The same situation he faced on the Island.

He walked away from two 50-60 million contract offers already and one of those offers came from a team with a legit first line center .

if you watched the game last night was Chicago sending two guys to DD, Patches or Vanek when they touched the puck in the offensive zone? What does that tell you.

Old
04-10-2014, 01:29 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbadenough View Post
Why would he sign to play with a line that has two guys that play a different game than he does? The same situation he faced on the Island.

He walked away from two 50-60 million contract offers already and one of those offers came from a team with a legit first line center .

if you watched the game last night was Chicago sending two guys to DD, Patches or Vanek when they touched the puck in the offensive zone? What does that tell you.
I dunno...they need 2 guys because our players have good puck control?

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 02:13 PM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone King View Post
I am not a Habs fan. But I believe Montreal is the best fit for his style of play. When that trade was made it seemed perfect and he has played very well since arriving. If he goes to MN I think he will be disappointed with the 'style'. Just my opinion....that it would be a mistake to leave.
He is a playmaker for Patches playing in a position he has not played in for years . That's his limited role here There is so much more to his offensive game than that. I do think he genuinely likes the guys he plays with. I am waiting for someone to figure out how to properly use him correctly on the power play and deliver the puck on time.

Old
04-10-2014, 04:49 PM
MrRuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbadenough View Post

Vanek wants to win. I know it is hard to believe but money is not the only motivation in a contract decision for him. Joining a winning franchise is another, part of the reason he left the Sabres as well as the Islanders.

MrRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Burke the Legend

I feel like Vanek is off a bit now in playoffs. His passing and positioning is a always a step off. Maybe he's rattled by playoff pressure, his first game in 3 years.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I feel like Vanek is off a bit now in playoffs. His passing and positioning is a always a step off. Maybe he's rattled by playoff pressure, his first game in 3 years.
He was exceptional in Game 1 and made a lot of things happen in Games 2 and 3. Not sure what you're watching to think he's off. The only real knock on him up to this point is that he's not shooting enough and trying to pull off the perfect play too often, imo.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Burke the Legend

just little things in the offensive zone. Not worried or anything, he'll get it back.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:07 AM
FazChenyuk

See? Thats exactly what I was talking about earlier. He can do way more then this.

We traded him to score and he is a better goalscorer then this. He tries to be fancy and look for Pac all the time. Its still okay as long as we are winning.

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:10 AM
habscup

Quote:
See? Thats exactly what I was talking about earlier. He can do way more then this.

We traded him to score and he is a better goalscorer then this. He tries to be fancy and look for Pac all the time. Its still okay as long as we are winning.
The hell are you talking about? He wins battles, nobody can take the puck from him, and he makes amazing plays. Pac missed two golden chances tonight, created by Vanek.

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:20 AM
FazChenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
The hell are you talking about? He wins battles, nobody can take the puck from him, and he makes amazing plays. Pac missed two golden chances tonight, created by Vanek.
I am not saying he is playing bad. All Im saying is that being an ex 40 goals scorer, he can score better then this. He needs to shoot more instead of looking for the perfect play. The season is done, I dont really care if he shoots or passes during regular season but in the playoffs, its not time to do no look back passes and try to always look for the perfect play. Vanek snapshot is amazing, if he starts using it, we would be close to an unbeatable team.

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:27 AM
habscup

Quote:
I am not saying he is playing bad. All Im saying is that being an ex 40 goals scorer, he can score better then this. He needs to shoot more instead of looking for the perfect play. The season is done, I dont really care if he shoots or passes during regular season but in the playoffs, its not time to do no look back passes and try to always look for the perfect play. Vanek snapshot is amazing, if he starts using it, we would be close to an unbeatable team.
Vanek is playing the role of playmaker now, and doing it pretty well I'd say. Just situations, if he thought he had a good enough look, I'm sure he would shoot it. He's been an elite player for a long time, I'm sure he's aware of these things.

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 01:29 AM
Habskrieg

I'm not worried at all. He's 1g 1a for 2pts in 3 games. He's had plenty of chances that he wasn't able to score on. He'll get on the score sheet more eventually. He's still doing well.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 02:32 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
just little things in the offensive zone. Not worried or anything, he'll get it back.
Some soft plays (passes)
Needs to snipe more and follow the puck in...

Rapala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 02:34 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Vanek is playing the role of playmaker now, and doing it pretty well I'd say. Just situations, if he thought he had a good enough look, I'm sure he would shoot it. He's been an elite player for a long time, I'm sure he's aware of these things.
Well the fans Holy crap i never knew he could make plays like that does reach his ears.
Just overdoing the PM thing a tad...

Rapala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 02:40 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

i thought he was fine. he had some weak plays but he still did some nice things. could've definitely had a few points tonight if it wasn't for Lindback. not worried at all and still want him long term.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 02:50 AM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

From what I am seeing so far, Vanek is solid first liner, but, isn't an franchise/elite player. The upcoming contract Vanek will ask (and a desperate team will probably offer him) would be one of an elite/franchise player (near 8x8); which make me uncomfortable.

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 03:21 AM
wreckless

Quote:
lol i remember when i thought my team was unbeatable...

wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 03:26 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
From what I am seeing so far, Vanek is solid first liner, but, isn't an franchise/elite player. The upcoming contract Vanek will ask (and a desperate team will probably offer him) would be one of an elite/franchise player (near 8x8); which make me uncomfortable.
I think he's as close as you can get to being elite without technically being 'elite'.

When he's 'bad' he's really not that bad. He still creates things. He doesn't disappear completely. I haven't seen it. If these 'bad' moments are him at his worst then sign me up.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 08:14 AM
vantheman
Rookie User

Quote:
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...e-leaders.html
http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?story...0&lang=ES&wjb=

i think he is elite

vantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 03:13 PM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Skill needs to play with skill to suceed.

In the playoffs , even when first line elite players are playing with similarly skilled line mates, games generally turn on secondary scoring, the pk and the pp.(special teams).

How are the first line elite players dong so far in the playoffs. Who is the star? How many goals? How many pts? lol

Last edited by borisbadenough: 04-21-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old
04-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

His goals/game is good but I don't think he's elite. I see elite as the top 1-2% of the league, which means there are about 15 elite players in the NHL.

Mike Cammalleri isn't far off from Vanek's goal/game total, and Cammalleri is far from elite.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 04:19 PM
vantheman
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
His goals/game is good but I don't think he's elite. I see elite as the top 1-2% of the league, which means there are about 15 elite players in the NHL.

Mike Cammalleri isn't far off from Vanek's goal/game total, and Cammalleri is far from elite.
You should not forget that he was doing that with Roy as Center most of the time.

vantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 04:27 PM
SB164

Vanek's a bit too unselfish right now. It's like he's still trying to get Pacioretty his 40th goal.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote