HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Vanek isn't the dominant force we expected him to be. (Update: sick/hurt?)

Old
04-26-2014, 09:30 AM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

vCash: 500
Vanek played with life in games one and two. I think he might have gotten dinged up somewhere.

SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 12:32 PM
TheRooster

I'm iffy about giving Vanek an 8 year contract. I'm not sure he can keep up his play for that long, and IMO in 5-6 years we'll be stuck with him and his cap hit.

I liked his play though in the series; the line just needed to bury some of those chances.

TheRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 08:13 PM
FazChenyuk

Now that its officially vs Boston, it will be a big determining factor for Vanek. If he steps up his play I would re-sign him. He can make the difference between a win or a loss.

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 08:06 AM
PricePkPatch*

You guys read Richard Labbe's article this morning in La Presse?

Thomas Vanek serait tente de rester

Basically, Vanek's agent said that his client was ready to negotiate for a new contract before the UFA season starts.

Quote:
«Thomas n'a toujours rien décidé pour la saison prochaine, mais il a certainement adoré son expérience des dernières semaines avec le Canadien, a souligné Stephen Bartlett en entrevue téléphonique. Je crois qu'il démontre une plus grande ouverture d'esprit par rapport à la signature d'une nouvelle entente avec l'équipe. Thomas a été impressionné par le marché de Montréal et par l'équipe.»
"Thomas still has not decided for the next seasons, but he certainly loved the experience of the past few weeks with the Canadien, said Stephen Bartlett. I believe he is showing a more open mind regarding signing a new contract with the team. Thomas has been impressed by Montreal's team and market."

Quote:
«Thomas pourra toujours attendre au 1er juillet, mais je dirais que le Canadien fait partie des quelques équipes qui l'intéressent. Le Canadien a très bien moussé sa candidature jusqu'ici, l'expérience de Thomas à Montréal s'est avérée très positive.»
"Thomas could still wait to the 1st of july, but I will say that the Canadien are among the few teams interesting him. The Canadiens really propped their candidacy so far, Thomas's experience in Montreal turned out to be very positive"

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:06 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
Now that its officially vs Boston, it will be a big determining factor for Vanek. If he steps up his play I would re-sign him. He can make the difference between a win or a loss.
What do expect from him vs Boston.? How does someone perform when he does not have the puck ? Boston will key on TV as they always do. (did you watch the last Bruins game with Montreal) It will be easier to shut him down because he is playing off wing on a line with a few problems in getting him the puck. He will be passing a lot. Touch passes.

This will be about defense, goaltending, pk, pp and secondary scoring. So it looks like the pp is his best shot to perform. How many times have you seen him shoot from the slot on the pp or even get the puck at the right speed and deflect it ? No many, because he does not get the puck when there and open.

Last edited by borisbadenough: 04-30-2014 at 09:52 AM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:39 AM
borisbadenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Yeah he only had a hat trick since coming here. What a bum

Seriously tho, he scores in bunches. He's like a super Michael Ryder that is more skilled, more complete and competes harder. In effect, he actually does replaces Ryder who was kind of missed this year and that we didn't replace this summer (he wasn't good at the end of last season but he was one of our primary goal scorers all year. This season we only had Pacioretty...).

Of course, the entire world is a conspiracy against the Habs. I know that song.
OK . Lets says you are a UFA and people are going to be throwing 7-8 mill for 7 at you.Its your last cntract. The one most important to your family. Do you go hard to the walls as a loaner with no contract? What does a blown knee, eye injury or a serious concussion cost you in your next contract if you get yourself seriously injured ? This is the hard place all UFA's going to market find them self in when they are loaners in the playoffs. I am sure they are torn and foolish at times when the moment neutralizes good judgment. I am sure he will earn the remaining 1-2 million of his contract from the Habs in the playoffs. You play your game and try to deliver, you do not play with abandon.

Last edited by borisbadenough: 04-30-2014 at 09:53 AM.
borisbadenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 02:44 PM
ekof232

vCash: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbadenough View Post
OK . Lets says you are a UFA and people are going to be throwing 7-8 mill for 7 at you.Its your last cntract. The one most important to your family. Do you go hard to the walls as a loaner with no contract? What does a blown knee, eye injury or a serious concussion cost you in your next contract if you get yourself seriously injured ? This is the hard place all UFA's going to market find them self in when they are loaners in the playoffs. I am sure they are torn and foolish at times when the moment neutralizes good judgment. I am sure he will earn the remaining 1-2 million of his contract from the Habs in the playoffs. You play your game and try to deliver, you do not play with abandon.
Players are paid over the 180-some days of the regular season. They do not receive a dime playing in the playoffs outside of maybe boosting their value as UFAs. The playoffs are (and have always been) about players' pride, their desire to win the Stanley cup and the lengths to which they're willing to go to win that trophy and achieve their childhood dreams.

ekof232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekof232 View Post
Players are paid over the 180-some days of the regular season. They do not receive a dime playing in the playoffs outside of maybe boosting their value as UFAs. The playoffs are (and have always been) about players' pride, their desire to win the Stanley cup and the lengths to which they're willing to go to win that trophy and achieve their childhood dreams.
This is incorrect players get paid a bonus after successfully winning a round.

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 06:45 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
This is incorrect players get paid a bonus after successfully winning a round.
Bonuses count toward the salary cap.

And I'm fairly sure the CBA only allows bonuses to entry level players and 35 plusses.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Bonuses count toward the salary cap.

And I'm fairly sure the CBA only allows bonuses to entry level players and 35 plusses.
Sorry bonus was a bad word to use. The team gets money after each round to divide between the players. The further they go the more the money. I'm sure the higher paid players could care less but a league min guy might have something to say. I believe winning the cup is 1 mil.

Old
04-30-2014, 07:21 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Sorry bonus was a bad word to use. The team gets money after each round to divide between the players. The further they go the more the money. I'm sure the higher paid players could care less but a league min guy might have something to say. I believe winning the cup is 1 mil.
Might you be confusing this with other leagues?

I remember it being in place many years ago, but according to my, admittedly, poor memory, I could very well be mistaken.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
FazChenyuk

I love this video

it showcases a lot vanek shooting and tipping skills and a goal vs BOs too haha. He has a laser of a shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKI_zQvsT7c

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Might you be confusing this with other leagues?

I remember it being in place many years ago, but according to my, admittedly, poor memory, I could very well be mistaken.
After googling it the most common answer I get is that there is a pool of 6.5 million that the owners give to the players for the playoffs. The division seems like it is up to the players and I am not sure how, probably doesn't even cross vaneks mind. In other leagues like the cheese toast (echl) and ahl I know they do and the money is huge for a guy making 450 a week.

Old
04-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Bullsmith

If Vanek contributes to this series in a meaningful way, he's been a worthwhile pickup. If we can get past Boston, hell, he might resign. This team is pretty close with him and the west may be way more competitive, but the east is much better to play in for rest and travel. He's gonna sign well past 36- wouldn't he rather cycle NYI-BUF-CAR over and over than LA-SJ-ANA?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
After googling it the most common answer I get is that there is a pool of 6.5 million that the owners give to the players for the playoffs. The division seems like it is up to the players and I am not sure how, probably doesn't even cross vaneks mind. In other leagues like the cheese toast (echl) and ahl I know they do and the money is huge for a guy making 450 a week.
It's $13m divided amongst 16 teams , the amount each team gets depends on the round of playoffs reached . The winning team gets $3.75m to be divided in a share system determined by each team.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:09 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I think he hurt his groin. His movement is deliberate and he's not stretching his legs wide.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I think he hurt his groin. His movement is deliberate and he's not stretching his legs wide.
The way Vanek's playing right now, you need to 100% bench him and put Bournival out there.

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
He made a small gesture toward his groin when attempting to receive a pass near the end of the OT and his face cringed like he it was hurting.

I think you are correct in your assessment

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:15 PM
TassieHab

Quite obvious that he is playing injured, pregame I can understand why you take the chance on a player like him playing underdone but if he doesn't get healthier by the next game then Bournival should come in.

TassieHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Yes. He's more of a liability than an asset out there right now. If he is injured and it affect his mobility he shouldn't play.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:33 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Did anyone saw Vanek reaction after subban ot goal he looked like he didnt care

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Habs

I guess he's already dreaming of Minny? BTW how bush league is it of Minny ownership to say they will pay whatever he wants to get him there, when the playoffs are still on?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Lemons

He's a good regular season player. Will help us get to the PO's, wont be an impact in the PO's.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
He's a good regular season player. Will help us get to the PO's, wont be an impact in the PO's.
The thing is though, he's been impact in the playoffs with the Sabres...

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Willis Jenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMELIN74 View Post
Did anyone saw Vanek reaction after subban ot goal he looked like he didnt care
I saw it too. I think he couldn't care less about playing in the playoffs.

Willis Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote