HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

should we or should we not???

Old
03-07-2014, 12:22 AM
kelmitchell

vCash: 500
should we or should we not???

ok due to watching nick lindstrom having his jersey retired i was wondering what you all thought about this, in my honest opinion i really think we have 1 -2 jerseys that should be retired, i think lindros #88 should be retired, and maybe the great Eric desjardains #37 what do you guys think?? think either of those will happen??

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:32 AM
DickTony

In my opinion, another jersey doesn't deserve to be raised to the rafters until a cup comes home. Howe was an exception, as he was arguably the best defenseman to ever suit up (in his prime, to avoid the Pronger argument) for us. That being said, unless Patrick Kane ends up here at some point (and even then, it's a stretch) I don't think anyone will have the gall to wear 88 here again.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:33 AM
LegionOfDoom91

They won't retire Desjardins number. Lindros has a shot because he could very well find himself in the HOF soon & he has been at a lot of alumni functions lately so the tension seems to have died down over the years.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:34 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
I never got the Desjardins hype. I felt he was a really good defenseman, especially offensively. I really don't feel like he's in the same class as Howe or Lidstrom or Coffey or whatever athletic two-way guy you can throw out there. Though I'm open to being schooled on this, I'm in my mid-20's and it took me til the last 10 years to really catch on and realize what "good defense" was, and by then I had missed the hay day of Desjardins. Is he one of the best Flyers dmen of all time? From what I've heard, yes...but that's not saying a lot.

And retiring Lindros' number will destroy any shot we have at acquiring Patrick Kane but we should do it anyway.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:37 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
They won't retire Desjardins number. Lindros has a shot because he could very well find himself in the HOF soon & he has been at a lot of alumni functions lately so the tension seems to have died down over the years.
yea, well like i was saying lindros was the face of this franchise for years!! and put up spectacular numbers and was a great leader so i do think he should have his #88 retired but i know #37 was a stretch but he was arguably one of our best d man we ever had

Old
03-07-2014, 12:38 AM
DecadesofFutility

Retiring Jerseys

I would think that Eric Desjardains #37, has a chance of being retired.

Do not think Lindros #88 will be retired, there maybe still ill will and bad feelings about how it all turned out.
Lindros was supposed to bring up a Cup, they gutted the team and it never happened.
All the concussions he suffered ruined his career and made him into a shell of the player he could have been.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 12:40 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I would think that Eric Desjardains #37, has a chance of being retired.

Do not think Lindros #88 will be retired, think there maybe still ill will and bad feelings about how it all turned out.
Lindros was supposed to bring up a Cup, they gutted the team and it never happened.
All the concussions he suffered ruined his career and made him into a shell of the player he could have been.
lol in his defense they never really had much of a goalie his entire time he was here lol they had it all and could have won multiple cups but the on going goaltending issue killed them

although when we got to the finals nobody played well lol not one single person showed up

Old
03-07-2014, 12:48 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmitchell View Post
yea, well like i was saying lindros was the face of this franchise for years!! and put up spectacular numbers and was a great leader so i do think he should have his #88 retired but i know #37 was a stretch but he was arguably one of our best d man we ever had
The Flyers have five retired numbers, all of them minus Barry Ashbee have one thing in common, they were all members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. Ashbee's was retired shortly after he died of Leukemia but it was more of a honor because the person he was than a hockey player.

If Lindros gets in, he'll likely see his number retired. It hasn't been issued since he left (granted not many players have worn the number league wide since then) & like I have said he's been at a lot of alumni functions of late. The guy was the face of the franchise along with the league for a while & a big reason fans of my generation (I'm 23) became such hardcore Flyers fans.

Desjardins was great player during his era but he's like a guy who's just notch below having such honor's as being a HOF & having his jersey retired. I view Leclair as the same & I was a big John Leclair fan back in the day.

I would also say Mark Howe is without a doubt the best defensemen in franchise history.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-07-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old
03-07-2014, 01:02 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The Flyers have five retired numbers, all of them minus Barry Ashbee have one thing in common, they were all members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. Ashbee's was retired shortly after he died of Leukemia but it was more of a honor because the person he was than a hockey player.

If Lindros gets in, he'll likely see his number retired. It hasn't been issued since he left (granted not many players have worn the number league wide since then) & like I have said he's been at a lot of alumni functions of late. The guy was the face of the franchise along with the league for a while & a big reason fans of my generation (I'm 23) became such hardcore Flyers fans.

Desjardins was great player during his era but he's like a guy who's just notch below having such honor's as being a HOF & having his jersey retired. I view Leclair as the same & I was a big John Leclair fan back in the day.

I would also say Mark Howe is without a doubt the best defensemen in franchise history.
i totally agree with what you're saying and yea im not arguing Howe was our best d man ever, i loved leClair he was my favorite flyer of all time but i am glad with all the feed back on this im really wanting everyone's opinion

Old
03-07-2014, 01:15 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Clarke & Bernie had their numbers retired before they got the call for the HOF but the team lacked history & without doubt those two were big reasons why the Flyers are who they are right now.

However Barber & Howe the last two Flyers to get their jersey's retired had it done right after getting the call to the HOF so going by that if Lindros gets the call he very well could find his number up in the rafters.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Based on the way the Flyers have retired numbers so far I think Lindros would need to hit the HHOF first.

I'm a big fan of Desjardins, LeClair, and Kimmo (I think he's worth mentioning here), but I don't see any of them having a jersey retired. Perhaps LeClair if he sneaks into the hall, which is going to be hard enough since he played in an era loaded with talent.

03-07-2014, 01:29 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Based on the way the Flyers have retired numbers so far I think Lindros would need to hit the HHOF first.

I'm a big fan of Desjardins, LeClair, and Kimmo (I think he's worth mentioning here), but I don't see any of them having a jersey retired. Perhaps LeClair if he sneaks into the hall, which is going to be hard enough since he played in an era loaded with talent.
id live for leclair to get in but it may make things awkward with brayden schenn lol sorry you have to change numbers bud, its being retired

Old
03-07-2014, 01:33 AM
The Couturier Effect

I was thinking it would be nice to officially retire Pelle's #31.

And I agree, Lindros should, and I think will, get his number retired. Hopefully he gets into the Hall soon.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:38 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
I was thinking it would be nice to officially retire Pelle's #31.

And I agree, Lindros should, and I think will, get his number retired. Hopefully he gets into the Hall soon.
do you think they'd retire his jersey though?? pelle i mean

Old
03-07-2014, 01:47 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmitchell View Post
do you think they'd retire his jersey though?? pelle i mean
I guess if they haven't done it by now, they might not at all. Would be nice though...

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:07 AM
DickTony

31 and 88 will almost certainly never be worn here again, regardless of whether or not they're retired.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 02:29 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

When Mark Recchi gets inducted in the HHoF I believe he will have his number retired like Howe did... he hold the Flyers single season points record with 123 followed by a 107 point season, and ranks up there on all-time Flyers stats... his two stints and parts of ten season in O&B make up a good share of his high All-Time NHL Ranking scoring stats... his only failure here was his not winning one of his three a Cup with the Flyers, but that was not due in any way to him and his play. He should be selected for the Hall pretty soon after his eligibility, and his number will probably retire soon after... as Howes was.

He also should be elected to the Flyers Hall of Fame... my guess is he is next, along with Rico... Leclair and probably Lindros (if all bridges are repaired). JMO

Last edited by Sawdalite: 03-07-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The organization seems to have made it clear that the only way you get into the rafters is to get into the HOF. So until someone else gets in, no numbers are getting retired. In other words, the next jersey to be retired will be Erik Gustafsson's.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 1867
I would not retire Pelle Lindbergh's number 31, he had poor stats and made a stupid and selfish act which cost him his life and probably a Cup.

I would have no problem with 88 as he was the most dominate players
in the NHL as a flyer and really fun to watch play.

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Hiesenberg

I think they should retire 88 officially, but I agree with others that 88 is unofficially retired anyway.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Aside from Ashbee, the Flyers have clearly laid down the standard that you get your number retired when you get in the Hall of Fame. Lindros will eventually get in the Hall of Fame, and his number will then be retired.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Aside from Ashbee, the Flyers have clearly laid down the standard that you get your number retired when you get in the Hall of Fame. Lindros will eventually get in the Hall of Fame, and his number will then be retired.
I will absolutely be there, too. That guy brought hockey into my life.

Old
03-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

The appropriate people are in the rafters right now. I wouldn't add anyone mentioned, some other historical players should get in first. Let's keep the bar high and put other players into the Flyer's personal hall of fame instead. A retired number should be supremely elite or for an extremely exceptional person.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
The appropriate people are in the rafters right now. I wouldn't add anyone mentioned, some other historical players should get in first. Let's keep the bar high and put other players into the Flyer's personal hall of fame instead. A retired number should be supremely elite or for an extremely exceptional person.
Even though his career was cut short and there was some bad blood, Lindros falls into that category.

He was 100% unstoppable. I still haven't seen a player that dominant.

Old
03-07-2014, 08:52 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Even though his career was cut short and there was some bad blood, Lindros falls into that category.

He was 100% unstoppable. I still haven't seen a player that dominant.
100% agree with you