HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The truth about the Flyers...

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2005, 11:21 PM
marioooo!*

vCash: 500
The truth about the Flyers...

I'm sure all the homers here will argue and whine and moan and groan, but the 2005-2006 Flyers, while good, are certainly overrated.

Let's see... gone are Roenick, Recchi, LeClair, and Amonte. And replacing their offense is Forsberg and two highly-touted prospects yet unproven rookies in Carter and Richards.

As per 2003 numbers:

Roenick- 19 goals (a lock for 25 had been healthy all year), Recchi- 26 goals (leading scorer), LeClair- 23 goals, and Amonte- 20 goals.

88 goals. Gone. Just like that. Nevermind the intangibles/experience.

But I know... they're gone now and they suck and they're slow and old and washed up. Right.

Forsberg- 18 goals (another injury-plagued year).

70 goal difference for Forsberg and company to compensate for, not to mention that even that Lemon named Bobby Clarke is getting got cold feet and trying to trade/sign for some help up front to ease the pressure off of Carter and Richards. Your dumb GM overpays for guys in the past (Gratton anyone?) and is now paying for his sins of having to dump and dump and dump more salary. I hope for Philly's sake that Forsberg stays real real healthy this year as he is a force and arguably one of the top 3 players in the game.

As for the D... Rathje was a nice pickup (though overpriced for what he actually brings to the table) and Jonsson and Pitkanen are solid. But... Therrien is beyond attrocious and shouldn't even be playing pro hockey at any level, Desjardins is 2 years older and slower and looked done 3 years ago, and with Hatcher, I'm not sure what's greater: how overrated he is or slow he is (nevermind the 20 knee operations and shoulder issues and 3 year 3.5 million dollar contract he fished out of you guys). The way the new game will be played, he'll be a liability of Brad Marshian and Chris Therrinien proportions. In goal... well... we know how it goes in Philly. And with Clarke's ego. If it's broke, let's just leave it that way, thanks.

Again, just my opinion, and while they are a definite contender in the East, appearances can be quite deceiving.

Old
08-15-2005, 11:37 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioooo!
Again, just my opinion, and while they are a definite contender in the East, appearances can be quite deceiving.
Well which is it? Are they "a definite contender" or is the appearance that they are "a definite contender" a deception?

I gotta tell you, from an outsider's perspective, you really have little right to open your post by talking about the whining, moaning, and groaning of homer Flyer fans. Your post, and especially the rather silly contradiction it offers as a closing, reads as nothing more than an extended whining tirade over a very good team.

Old
08-15-2005, 11:49 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
What a joke.

It would be much easier to trash the Penguins and their washed-up injury prone captain marioooo! but I won't sink to that level

Old
08-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Gags1288

Honestly, at this point it's not even worth responding to these posts anymore. Every day someone comes to this board or to the NHL board and claims the flyers are overrated because they lost Amonte, Recchi, Roenick and Leclair and replaced them with just Forsberg (couldn't be further from the truth). If you want an answer to this post, read through some threads on this page. You'll see that you have failed to consider quite a few things. At that point you can decide if the flyers have gotten marginally worse, are the same, or are improved. Everone on this board has compared this team to the last team and I think I speak for pretty much everyone when I say that flyers fans think their team is certainly better.

And as for your comment on Therien, he'd be your #4 defenseman. He's the #7 in Philly.

And a question for mods, is this a troll or just a borderline troll and is there some way you could sticky some analysis of the current team vs. last seasons team to illustrate why posts like this are rediculous.

Old
08-15-2005, 11:52 PM
marioooo!*

They are a definite contender as compared to what the rest of the East has to offer right now, but after all those signings/buy outs/trades, all the talk of Stanley Cup parades in Philly was a tad premature I think. In other words, they were contenders 2 years back, they are contenders now, but I'm not sure how much better off they actually are after all these "moves."

Hopes that's a little clearer.

Old
08-15-2005, 11:52 PM
easton122

Quote:

As per 2003 numbers:

Roenick- 19 goals (a lock for 25 had been healthy all year), Recchi- 26 goals (leading scorer), LeClair- 23 goals, and Amonte- 20 goals.

But I know... they're gone now and they suck and they're slow and old and washed up. Right.

Do yourself a favor. Check Roenick's, Recchi's, LeClair's, and Amonte's playoff numbers over the last few years.

The only one who had a good performance was Recchi in the 03 playoffs.

Forsberg scored 18 goals in 38 games and was on route to 120+ points

Old
08-15-2005, 11:55 PM
deviance

And what a horrible opinion it is......

Recchi and Roenick were pretty much the only impressive players who we lost that i thought we would have a hard time replacing. but puting the best player in the world and 2 upcoming stars in there boosted my confidence. (yes they are rookies and 'unproven in the nhl level.. but arent people already saying crosby is the next wayne gretzky? ha) Amonte and Leclair while excellent in their time were decent at best the past few years and are slowing down now and getting really really old (lecliar is 36 already? jesus ) and i dont see a huge problem in knuble ..handzus.. kapanen or someone else on this team stepping up and really replacing those type of numbers that they put up...

As for the Defence they added hatcher and rathje just for size, leadership, and big hits we have decent speed in johnsson, seidenberg, pitkanen, desjardins,. While i wasnt that impressed with the hatcher trade theres no doubt he will cause doubt and fear back there for other teams. as for rathje he will fit well in the flyers system.

Are the flyers overated? No. Why? becuase they are predicted to be on of the best in the east which on paper looks like a sure possibilty. they are not predicted to be better than they were the last year they played hockey.

I typed this kind of fast and ive got a big headache so i prolly just typing nonsense i dont know im not proofreadin. im just pissed of that obvious biased post

Oh and if any team is overated its the Pittsburgh Penguins

Old
08-15-2005, 11:56 PM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Do yourself a favor. Check Roenick's, Recchi's, LeClair's, and Amonte's playoff numbers over the last few years.

The only one who had a good performance was Recchi in the 03 playoffs.

Forsberg scored 18 goals in 38 games and was on route to 120+ points
On route. Before he got injured. Again.

Mario's on route for 150 points every year before he get's injured.

Old
08-15-2005, 11:59 PM
easton122

Quote:
On route. Before he got injured. Again.

Mario's on route for 150 points every year before he get's injured.

Double standard?

You said JR scored 19 goals but would've scored 25 had he been healthy all year.

Had Forsberg been healthy all year he would've gotten 39 at the pace he set.

The difference is Forsberg really was on route for 120+ while Mario was far from 150

Old
08-16-2005, 12:03 AM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviance
And what a horrible opinion it is......

Recchi and Roenick were pretty much the only impressive players who we lost that i thought we would have a hard time replacing. but puting the best player in the world and 2 upcoming stars in there boosted my confidence. (yes they are rookies and 'unproven in the nhl level.. but arent people already saying crosby is the next wayne gretzky? ha) Amonte and Leclair while excellent in their time were decent at best the past few years and are slowing down now and getting really really old (lecliar is 36 already? jesus ) and i dont see a huge problem in knuble ..handzus.. kapanen or someone else on this team stepping up and really replacing those type of numbers that they put up...

As for the Defence they added hatcher and rathje just for size, leadership, and big hits we have decent speed in johnsson, seidenberg, pitkanen, desjardins,. While i wasnt that impressed with the hatcher trade theres no doubt he will cause doubt and fear back there for other teams. as for rathje he will fit well in the flyers system.

Are the flyers overated? No. Why? becuase they are predicted to be on of the best in the east which on paper looks like a sure possibilty. they are not predicted to be better than they were the last year they played hockey.

I typed this kind of fast and ive got a big headache so i prolly just typing nonsense i dont know im not proofreadin. im just pissed of that obvious biased post

Oh and if any team is overated its the Pittsburgh Penguins

Again, after all that wheeling and dealing, how much better are the Flyers?

And again, the post is geared at the fact that everybody and their dog is hyping up the Flyers, so where overrated and Pittsburgh is concerned I don't see how you came to that pointless revelation , since no one is hyping them up, but just saying they are vastly improved, which they quite obviously are considering where they've been the last few years.

Can't wait for the games to begin!

Old
08-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Unthinkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
Honestly, at this point it's not even worth responding to these posts anymore. Every day someone comes to this board or to the NHL board and claims the flyers are overrated because they lost Amonte, Recchi, Roenick and Leclair and replaced them with just Forsberg (couldn't be further from the truth).
Ask a moderator here to sticky an official "The Philadelphia Flyers are Ooooooooverated!" thread just as we did in the Devils forum with the "The New Jersey Devils are Boooooooring..." so you can witness with one quick look how many pages are devoted to this subject in no time at all.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:11 AM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Double standard?

You said JR scored 19 goals but would've scored 25 had he been healthy all year.

Had Forsberg been healthy all year he would've gotten 39 at the pace he set.

The difference is Forsberg really was on route for 120+ while Mario was far from 150

And I hope for Philly's sake he is on route for another 120, cuz they're going to need it. And regarding JR, it's no double standard, as he usually is healthy. So whether it's 19 goals or 30 goals, it's a loss for Philly offensively.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:11 AM
deviance

First of all i cant understand what you say.. I dont know if its your vocabulary or my headache....

And ill say again the flyers arent predicted to be BETTER THAN THEY WERE PREVIOUSLY .. they are predicted to be THE BEST IN THE EAST...

And by the way i love the dealing clark has done ...he has shipped all the old and declining players and grabbing draft pick after draft pick. And adding star rookies.. The flyers future is starting to look like a very very good one

And i cant wait of the games to begin also. I miss hockey and am interested in seeing the 'new nhl'

Old
08-16-2005, 12:16 AM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviance
First of all i cant understand what you say.. I dont know if its your vocabulary or my headache....

And ill say again the flyers arent predicted to be BETTER THAN THEY WERE PREVIOUSLY .. they are predicted to be THE BEST IN THE EAST...

And by the way i love the dealing clark has done ...he has shipped all the old and declining players and grabbing draft pick after draft pick. And adding star rookies.. The flyers future is starting to look like a very very good one

And i cant wait of the games to begin also. I miss hockey and am interested in seeing the 'new nhl'
Again, it's no knock on the draft picks at all, as I think they have real good scout's in Philly and a lot of legit prospects in the system.

And yes... AFTER ALL THE WHEELING AND DEALING, PHILLY WAS BEING HYPED JUST ABOUT EVERYWHERE TO EPIC PROPORTIONS. They got nowhere near this praise/hype going into the season/playoffs a couple years back.

I too look forward to the "new" NHL and to a renewed PA rivalry.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
What an original post. You seem to start out kinda making sense talking about 88 goals but then you trail off in your whining about Bobby Clarke. Here's a good list of things you screwed up.

1) 88 Goals lost with Amonte-Roenick-Recchi-LeClair.
93 Goals gained with Forsberg(27)-Carter(23)-Richards(8)-Knuble(20)-Gagne(15+).
2) Being hooked on Rathje and Hatcher for too long.
They would only sign for long term. Anyways, you don't think BC won't buy them out?
3) Dumb GM.
Drafted Pitkanen-Gagne-Carter-Richards-Seids-Sharp-Niittymaki, traded a burnt out Lindros for Johnsson-Ruzicka, traded Todd Feodruk for a 2nd round pick, traded for three other 2nd round picks in '06 draft, signed Forsberg for 5.1 million, traded Brian Boucher for Robert Esche-Michal Handzus. Yea theres bad stuff too but this is just too much.
4) Therien shouldn't play.
You're right he'll be a call up, was mainly brought in for improving the locker room atmosphere.
5) Desjardins looked done three years ago.
Obviously you weren't watching because until he got hurt last year he was our best defenseman.
6) Hatcher 20 shoulder surgeries.
Did I miss these? Because up until last year he had played in 92% of the games and that's with the suspensions factored into it.
7)In goal.....
Hasn't looked better. Robert Esche has shown that he can rebound from a bad game and even support a poor PK. Niittymaki has only gotten better as years have gone by, he's two years younger than Esche and has shown that he isn't a headcase like the other two (Boucher and Roman).
8) Pitkanen and Johnsson are solid.
I just had to go back to this one. If they're solid then what's the Pens situation at D look like?

I'm done but hell son, that's a list of things that even I could pick you apart for. Get some facts, drop the bias, and go back to late night masturbation because you suck at trolling.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
Honestly, at this point it's not even worth responding to these posts anymore. Every day someone comes to this board or to the NHL board and claims the flyers are overrated because they lost Amonte, Recchi, Roenick and Leclair and replaced them with just Forsberg (couldn't be further from the truth). If you want an answer to this post, read through some threads on this page. You'll see that you have failed to consider quite a few things. At that point you can decide if the flyers have gotten marginally worse, are the same, or are improved. Everone on this board has compared this team to the last team and I think I speak for pretty much everyone when I say that flyers fans think their team is certainly better.

And as for your comment on Therien, he'd be your #4 defenseman. He's the #7 in Philly.

And a question for mods, is this a troll or just a borderline troll and is there some way you could sticky some analysis of the current team vs. last seasons team to illustrate why posts like this are rediculous.
Therien wouldn't be a 4th Dman in a tier 4 Swiss League, let alone any NHL team, so enough about him. He stinks. Bad. Real real bad. "Rediculously" real bad. Period.

And no... not a troll, just stating my thoughts.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:24 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
I'm sure all the homers here will argue and whine and moan and groan, but the 2005-2006 Flyers, while good, are certainly overrated.

Let's see... gone are Roenick, Recchi, LeClair, and Amonte. And replacing their offense is Forsberg and two highly-touted prospects yet unproven rookies in Carter and Richards.

As per 2003 numbers:

70 goal difference for Forsberg and company to compensate for, not to mention that even that Lemon named Bobby Clarke is getting got cold feet and trying to trade/sign for some help up front to ease the pressure off of Carter and Richards. Your dumb GM overpays for guys in the past (Gratton anyone?) and is now paying for his sins of having to dump and dump and dump more salary. I hope for Philly's sake that Forsberg stays real real healthy this year as he is a force and arguably one of the top 3 players in the game.

As for the D... Rathje was a nice pickup (though overpriced for what he actually brings to the table) and Jonsson and Pitkanen are solid. But... Therrien is beyond attrocious and shouldn't even be playing pro hockey at any level, Desjardins is 2 years older and slower and looked done 3 years ago, and with Hatcher, I'm not sure what's greater: how overrated he is or slow he is (nevermind the 20 knee operations and shoulder issues and 3 year 3.5 million dollar contract he fished out of you guys). The way the new game will be played, he'll be a liability of Brad Marshian and Chris Therrinien proportions. In goal... well... we know how it goes in Philly. And with Clarke's ego. If it's broke, let's just leave it that way, thanks.

Why? Just... why?

Old
08-16-2005, 12:24 AM
deviance

Ok as a FLyers fan after the past week or 2 I too think the flyers are being a bit overatted to but no as much as you think.. I think the addition of peter forsberg (the best player in the world when healthy imo) has just really excited this town and elsewhere.. but ill say again losing what we lost I think hasnt hurt us as much as you think as some of them were on the decline.

all in all i think we will have to see some regular season games to be certain, I think this bashing is ridiculous before we even watch a regular season game or even preseason game for that matter.

Im done talking to you now and Im going to bed (head killing me)

and as i previously said of the penguins being overated i was obviously being sarcastic. (sorry for the late reply i finally just figured out what you had typed)

Old
08-16-2005, 12:25 AM
ephecks

If the Flyers are overrated then what does that make MAF?

Old
08-16-2005, 12:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Im not going to waste my time arguing or responding to someone whos trolling thid board with 7 posts.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:45 AM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
What an original post. You seem to start out kinda making sense talking about 88 goals but then you trail off in your whining about Bobby Clarke. Here's a good list of things you screwed up.

1) 88 Goals lost with Amonte-Roenick-Recchi-LeClair.
93 Goals gained with Forsberg(27)-Carter(23)-Richards(8)-Knuble(20)-Gagne(15+).
2) Being hooked on Rathje and Hatcher for too long.
They would only sign for long term. Anyways, you don't think BC won't buy them out?
3) Dumb GM.
Drafted Pitkanen-Gagne-Carter-Richards-Seids-Sharp-Niittymaki, traded a burnt out Lindros for Johnsson-Ruzicka, traded Todd Feodruk for a 2nd round pick, traded for three other 2nd round picks in '06 draft, signed Forsberg for 5.1 million, traded Brian Boucher for Robert Esche-Michal Handzus. Yea theres bad stuff too but this is just too much.
4) Therien shouldn't play.
You're right he'll be a call up, was mainly brought in for improving the locker room atmosphere.
5) Desjardins looked done three years ago.
Obviously you weren't watching because until he got hurt last year he was our best defenseman.
6) Hatcher 20 shoulder surgeries.
Did I miss these? Because up until last year he had played in 92% of the games and that's with the suspensions factored into it.
7)In goal.....
Hasn't looked better. Robert Esche has shown that he can rebound from a bad game and even support a poor PK. Niittymaki has only gotten better as years have gone by, he's two years younger than Esche and has shown that he isn't a headcase like the other two (Boucher and Roman).
8) Pitkanen and Johnsson are solid.
I just had to go back to this one. If they're solid then what's the Pens situation at D look like?

I'm done but hell son, that's a list of things that even I could pick you apart for. Get some facts, drop the bias, and go back to late night masturbation because you suck at trolling.
Not sure how you came up with those imaginary numbers for Carter/Richards since they've yet to play an NHL game. Gotta tell me how you did that... As for Knuble's recently inflated numbers, it's more fame by association when playing with stars like Thornton and Murray. He's really just a 3rd liner at best, 4th line role player at worst, and his career numbers reflect that.

As for the GM and the draft picks, that has as much, if not more to do with the scouts than Clarke.

As for the Pitkanen/Johnsson comments, not sure what you mean there either, as I actually meant that they really really are good, solid Dmen.

As for Hatcher, not sure if you can comprehend when one exaggerates when making a point, but he had quite a few serious injury issues a couple years back, and is just older and slower now.

And Desjardins was not their best Dman before he got injured and hasn't been for 3 years.

As for the late night masturbation troll comments, you live in Buffalo... Buffalo ... And just like the revolving door of patch up, band aid remedies aka Philly netminding, well I can only offer a sincere sorry.

Now you're done cuz I'm done.

Buffalo.

Sheesh.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:46 AM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Why? Just... why?
Rrright.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:47 AM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic
If the Flyers are overrated then what does that make MAF?

Old
08-16-2005, 12:48 AM
marioooo!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Im not going to waste my time arguing or responding to someone whos trolling thid board with 7 posts.
I'm happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

Old
08-16-2005, 01:11 AM
High Flyer

mariooooooo!!!! YOU NEED A NEW BACK!

But this mario needs a dictionary or a life...go with the dictionary u'll just ruin a perfectly good life

Before you post it'd be helpful if you looked up the big words you use like whine, moan, and groan...

Quote:
I'm sure all the homers here will argue and whine and moan and groan
let me give you an example of whine...
7+ posts complaining about how the flyers are overrated by surprise surprise YOU

I'll let the flyers settle your comments on the ice...buh i feel it will go somewhat like avatar

Closed Thread