HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two D Prospects , One or None in 2014-15

Old
04-06-2014, 07:40 PM
yianik

vCash: 500
Two D Prospects , One or None in 2014-15

I was just thinking about how , if we assume PK and Markov are signed, we have our top 4 set for next year, but then we have Cubes, Weaver and Murray as UFAs next year. I know that Weaver has been considered a nice addition, and there is a constant back and forth on Murray and Cubes, but which, if any of these guys will be back and should be back.

Of course we have Tinordi and we root for him because he might fit the role of that huge, mobile, defensive , crease cleaning mean SOB who will dish it out we have wanted for years.

Then there is Beaulieu, who we really pull for because he is about it when it comes to offensively talented D men that we have in the system.

I said almost, because there is the Hamilton Hater Nygren. Roll your eyes at this guy but he is again at the top of the Swedish league, is an offensive type , is 23 and a RHD, okay size.

Lastly is the forgotten Pateryn, who is big, skates well for his size, is physical, and has surprisingly to me anyway, put up good points in the AHL. Everything I read about this guy is he has been our best D man in Hamilton, but not a call-up this year. I think its because he doesn't fill a niche like Tinordi or Beaulieu fill. But no games for this guy is a mistake I think. We should have seen this kid up and he should have gotten rewarded.

Generally speaking you never start a NHL season with any rookies or green guys in your top 7 and certainly not more than one, despite all the posts where we fans pencil in a complete rookie in the top 4 and another one in the bottom pairing. Doesn't happen unless you land a PK.

But we have so many prospects, 4, banging at the door and are up there in age where they should be either making it, being labeled career AHLers, or traded. Thing is Pateryn and Nygren have not had much opportunity ( I know Nygren is self-inflicted, but you cant just throw this kid away).

So do we slot Tinordi into the top 7 and fill the other 2 spots with UFA vets, such as from our group, or do you give 2 spots to the rookies ? What do you think MB will do ? Remember, MT loves Cubes and Cubes would take another one year deal I am sure. Weaver, a RHD, probably looks for a couple years. Murray would probably test than do a one year deal.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Halifaxhab*

Weaver - resigned cheap (Cube replacement as depth and a RHD)
Murray - gone
Bouillion - gone

Tinordi will be in ( replaces Murray's physicality and PK time...but can skate)

Beaulieu and Pateryn will be jostling for NHL ice time.

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi/Beaulieu - Weaver/Pateryn

If Markov is not resigned (which would be a very big waste) then it opens up a spot for Beaulieu to step in and maybe for Nygren to steal, because Nygren walked away because he wants an NHL job, not bus rides in the minors.

We aren't hurting for talent in our D prospects, Tinordi seems to be gaining confidence with his limited experience.

We have options in UFA to sign depth Dmen, don't forget Drewiske too.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

If Weaver would re-sign, great, sign him and forgetabout Murray and Bouillon. Weaver is heading to his 35+ retirement contract... I could see him being cheap-ish if you were willing to take term on. I could see him getting $2M for 1 year. Maybe you could whittle that down for a 3-year deal? $1.5M per for 3 years? He has been underpaid for a lot of his career, so I think he's going where the money is, regardless. If we could pay Bouillon or Murray $1.5M, then we for sure can for Weaver, anyway. Just I guess remains to be seen if anybody else out there has him on their radar. It seems like nobody did at the trade deadline, anyway, so that's a plus.

Then cycle Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn. Just make sure nobody gets too stale in the pressbox. Better to have them playing in Hamilton than sitting in the pressbox.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Respeck
RESPECK MY NAME

Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Gorges
Weaver

Hopefully we can sign Weaver to a similar deal to Murray & Bouillon's, he'd still end up playing quite a few games with injuries and Tinordi/Beaulieu get scratched occasionally.

Respeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:34 AM
optimus2861

Ideally, we would have been playing Beaulieu & Tinordi fairly regularly this year, platooning them in & out of the #6 spot at least. Then next year both would be fairly ready for permanent top-6 roles. But no, gotta play the giant pylon who can't even move and the way-over-the-hill guy who doesn't know where he's going. Ugh. Therrien.

Anyway, YMCM's posted D-corps looks about like what I want to see next year. The right guys in the top 6, a dependable depth guy, and the two wastes of space nowhere in sight.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:43 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Gorges - Subban - Markov - Emelin - Tinordi

are lock IMO, Beaulieu will play also but not the full season.

Bergevin will go for a shutdown D on the market. If Beaulieu can't make the team. He'l; resign one of Bouillon , Weaver , Murray

My vote goes to Murray for the 7th D.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 08:49 AM
AllanMTL46

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Gorges
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Weaver

Both Tinner and Beaulieu in. The time has come.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 09:12 AM
habfaninvictoria

I don't know if Weaver will be re-signed too cheaply. He's been valuable and I think there's likely to be interest. He'll likely want 2.0 minimum after what he's done here. I want him back though.

Markov is a definite re-sign at this point.

Markov Emelin
Tinordi PK
Gorges Weaver
Beaulieu

I could see Murray resigning only if we can't sign Markov for insurance.

Gorges PK
Beaulieu Emelin
Tinordi Weaver
Murray

This isn't as good as Markov, but we'll definitely be able to afford Vanek and this is much more mobile D than today's.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Uber Coca

Keep Murray and Weaver.

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Gorges
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Weaver
Murray

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 09:35 AM
DAChampion

We might trade Gorges in the offseason.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Smokey Thompson

If we sign Subban for 7-8 years, we'll need to find a partner for him. Gorges is reliable, but he is really a #4 guy whereas Subban can use a #2. Markov-Subban was a tremendous pairing once they got some chemistry, but Therrien insists on playing him with Emelin.

Assuming Gorges does not get dealt,

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Tinordi-Weaver

I can see Pateryn being dealt as part of a package or for a pick.

I'd love for Beaulieu to get a full time role. I believe he performed significantly better than Tinordi in his time up here this season. However, considering Therrien loves his stay at home Dmen and MB loves his character guys, Tinordi will get that spot on the 3rd paiting. I'm really hoping Tinordi can work his way up and eventually form a great pairing with Subban.

Weaver will get another contract for next season. I wouldn't mind signing Murray for depth. Bouillon will get a job as Therrien's secretary.

The problem is, assuming Markov gets $5.5m and Subban $7m, that's $20.5m tied up in our top4.

Smokey Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I would love to keep Weaver and add Matt Greene!

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Weaver
Emelin - Greene

Let Tinordi and Beaulieu develop another year in the AHL. I still don't see the rush to bring them up yet... Another year would do wonder for them!

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Captain Wolverine

Should Happen:

Weaver has been solid, and should return on a cheap deal. Cube and Murray have been awful all season long, getting absolutely slaughtered in favourable match-ups and zone-starts and rank among the worst defencemen in the league this season. They should be gone, but never underestimate Therrien's influence and mixed up views on player values.

Ideally, The defence looks like this next season (perhaps not in deployment, but in personnel:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi/Beaulieu - Weaver
Beaulieu/Tinordi

If having two rookies in the top-6 isn't appetizing (although the Habs need to integrate them in somehow), then Tom Gilbert and Matt Greene are a couple of free agents that may be worthwhile adding at the right price.

What will happen? Dunno, but its put-up, or shut-up time for MB.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Zam Boni

Are Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn waiver eligible next season?

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 12:15 PM
NA Scouting

Bergevin seems to like having a lot of depth on the blueline. We basically have 12 NHL-ready dmen under contract right now. I highly doubt his lineup for next season features three rookies on D.

With that said, I would think the top-4 is already set, if we re-sign both Markov and Subban (we should). Markov, Subban, Emelin, Gorges.

I would look into bringng back Murray and Weaver, but not Bouillon. If need be, one or both of them can be assigned to Hamilton like Drewiske was.

Don't forget injuries, they play a big part. One of our Ds will likely be injured in training camp which will open up the way for one or two rookies to start the year in Montreal.

I think Pateryn is highly underrated. They will fight it out in camp next September. I really hope Beaulieu stays professionnal if he is assigned back to Hamilton. Else we might have to trade him.

Realistically all 4 (Nygren, Pateryn, Beaulieu, Tinordi) are almost NHL-ready, so it pains me to say that 2 or 3 of them will not start with us next season. But it is reality.

Best case scenario (IMO):

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Emein
Gorges-Weaver
*Murray

Nygren comes back and plays with Hamilton. Pateryn stays in Hamilton.

Beaulieu is traded in a package to bring in a top-notch forward.

Pateryn is first call-up.

I think Drewiske is also a nice piece to have around as he'll want to show management he can play and can be a nice veteran presence for our young Ds in Hamilton. He's good depth to have around.

NA Scouting is offline   Reply With Quote