HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasons we won't go far in playoffs

Old
03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
BobBobrovsky*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I thought it was obvious.

I mean, most people are stating, since the start of the season, that the Habs are nothing more than a second tier team, having to fight till the end for a playoff spot.

They could win one round depending on the team they're facing, but that's it.
The Habs have pretty much been "assured" a playoff spot for about the last month - based on probabilities - so I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you meant "clinched" a playoff spot, well only a few teams so far have . . .

The Habs are not going to win the Cup this season, we get it.
Is there a point to this thread?

BobBobrovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:05 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Exactly. I've never understood the concept of us as a soft team. We won't exactly run you out of the building physically, but very few players will shy away from physicality. The only one I can think of is Deshernais, and really, he doesn't have to. It doesn't help his game to set up snipers and goal scorers.
We wilt with physical play. Happened last night.

With Montreal. The smaller players are the tougher ones. The bigger ones are softer.

A crap team like Ottawa brought physicality and we got laughed out of the playoffs. We are still on the softer side. We look bad when teams step up the physical play. That's not our game.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
I wouldn't call Gallagher or Gionta soft. Both guys are willing to take a hit to make a play, no matter how small they are. Weaver is as soft as a rusty nail. The guy is tough and it showed last night.

I'd add Patches and Bourque to your group of soft forwards.

On the bright side, this team has character. The players stepped up last night. We kept the best team in the league to 1 lone pp goal. Forced shots from the outside. Defense wins in the playoffs, and we're among leaders in GA/g.
Gionta and Gallagher might not be "soft" but their small and we are too much small in our forward group.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

With Montreal. The smaller players are the tougher ones. The bigger ones are softer.

A crap team like Ottawa brought physicality and we got laughed out of the playoffs. We are still on the softer side. We look bad when teams step up the physical play. That's not our game.
It's not our game and it makes no sense for us to try and "out-Bruin" the Bruins. We should play our game in the playoffs. It's how we can get to the ECF.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Gionta and Gallagher might not be "soft" but their small and we are too much small in our forward group.
Really? Who knew? We can still win in the playoffs, however.

Old
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
We just beat the best team in the league, missing almost a full fourth line from the start of the game, having to face horrible back-to-back calls and with our back-up goalie in nets, and you're complaining? The Habs matched up against them well, got them off their game and Budaj came in clutch.

I'm sorry, but if anything, last night solidified that we can go toe-to-toe against any team in the league for me. The real question is whether we can last a seven-game series against this type of team. That remains to be answered.
I'm sorry did you watch the game ? We were okay in the first then seriously out manned and out muscled the rest of the game. How many shots did we get 5v5 ? 6 ? 7 ?

I'm tired, exhausted really, with people pointing to the regular season as some metric of how good we are. Its been done to death and the final conclusion is always the same: the team is NOT built for the playoffs and this always becomes apparent when we fold. How is that going to change ? We have some jam on the fourth but when weisse and moen were done, with no parros, white or prust in the lineup you got a glympse of what happens.

Sure an ill-prepared team can move on with beastly goaltending, but if that is the habs plan, hope for world beater goaltending for 4 complete series in order to advance ,you might want to take a seat.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
I agree, but some of our bigger players are softer than Gio and Gally.

We should be looking at toughness and strength rather than height and weight measurements.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:11 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
I'm sorry did you watch the game ? We were okay in the first then seriously out manned and out muscled the rest of the game. How many shots did we get 5v5 ? 6 ? 7 ?

I'm tired, exhausted really, with people pointing to the regular season as some metric of how good we are. Its been done to death and the final conclusion is always the same: the team is NOT built for the playoffs and this always becomes apparent when we fold. How is that going to change ? We have some jam on the fourth but when weisse and moen were done, with no parros, white or prust in the lineup you got a glympse of what happens.

Sure an ill-prepared team can move on with beastly goaltending, but if that is the habs plan, hope for world beater goaltending for 4 complete series in order to advance ,you might want to take a seat.
I doubt it's the long-term plan (Mike McCarron and De La Rose say hi) but its the team we have right now and since we will be in the playoffs, why don't you try and enjoy them and see what happens.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
Quote:

This still? NO Ottawa did not beat the Habs with "toughness" they beat us with Anderson posting a .950 save % while facing an average 36 shots per game.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Habs Fan View Post
Boom goes the dynamite.

Prust, Murray, Tinordi, White, Weise, Moen, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Bourque, Eller, Vanek, Emelin, Subban, Weaver, Bouillon, Gorges

None of those guys play exceptionally soft games, even the shorter ones

Even Gionta, Briere and Plekanec play with a chip on their shoulder at times, Briere goes the dirty route often but so be it.

Also we can't forget Parros, who can be inserted into the lineup if we NEED a fighter for a game.
Have you read my post?

I'm talking about our top 9 forward and you come up with our fourth line. ( Btw, all our fourth line is injured)

On our top 3 lines, you have players like Plekanec, Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher and Briere. Maybe some of them are not "soft", but we're too damn small to compete in playoff. We don't even have a physical player on our top 9. Pacioretty and Vanek are our only "big" player, but they are not physical by any mean.

The problem is we are too damn small on forward. Defence is fine. Fourth line was fine. Probleme is top 9.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBobrovsky View Post
Really? Who knew? We can still win in the playoffs, however.
In a best of 7?

Nah.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:15 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
In a best of 7?

Nah.
So don't watch.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:15 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Sometimes it feels like some have fans are still stuck in 93 where you can sprinkle ferry dust and somehow win the cup without having all the elements that ate necessary to win a cup. We have the same problems going into every playoffs but some think things will be different. Lol

Old
03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
This still? NO Ottawa did not beat the Habs with "toughness" they beat us with Anderson posting a .950 save % while facing an average 36 shots per game.
And why did Anderson have such a high save percentage? Because he faced easy shots. Nothing point black, habs unwilling to pay the price up front. Keep thinking the difference was all Andersen.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Sometimes it feels like some have fans are still stuck in 93 where you can sprinkle ferry dust and somehow win the cup without having all the elements that ate necessary to win a cup. We have the same problems going into every playoffs but some think things will be different. Lol
Nobody here thinks we will win the Cup this season but not to enjoy them and just see what transpires is flat out dumb.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:20 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Have you read my post?

I'm talking about our top 9 forward and you come up with our fourth line. ( Btw, all our fourth line is injured)

On our top 3 lines, you have players like Plekanec, Desharnais, Gionta, Gallagher and Briere. Maybe some of them are not "soft", but we're too damn small to compete in playoff. We don't even have a physical player on our top 9. Pacioretty and Vanek are our only "big" player, but they are not physical by any mean.

The problem is we are too damn small on forward. Defence is fine. Fourth line was fine. Probleme is top 9.
Bingo. Maybe you should tell MB.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:21 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Or people point to the Kings in 12 and say, "See? Make the playoffs even as a #8 and anything can happen!" even though the fancystats guys were rightfully pointing out that the Kings were going to be very dangerous in those playoffs (Kings will be dangerous this year too).

We had no business winning that game last night. We were simply mauled by the Bruins 5-on-5. If not for Budaj and a couple of posts, they win that game pretty handily. If that were game 1 in a best-of-7, it would be completely unsurprising to see the B's rattle off 4 straight wins.

Still.. it's a win over the B's, and it snapped their streak. They must be foaming at the mouth with rage today. I'll enjoy it for what it is

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:22 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Nobody here thinks we will win the Cup this season but not to enjoy them and just see what transpires is flat out dumb.
Didn't say you shouldn't enjoy them. You should just have reasonable expectations. If we lose in 5 in round 1 this place will be an inferno...why? Team didn't live up to the lofty expectations.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Hannibal
Fear the Weber

Quote:
And why did Anderson have such a high save percentage? Because he faced easy shots. Nothing point black, habs unwilling to pay the price up front. Keep thinking the difference was all Andersen.
Agree 100%.

Ottawa's big d-man manhandled montreal's small forwards. Period.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
sandysan

Quote:
I doubt it's the long-term plan (Mike McCarron and De La Rose say hi) but its the team we have right now and since we will be in the playoffs, why don't you try and enjoy them and see what happens.
Because this deficiency is not acute, we have had the EXACT same problems for what ? A decade at least ? and instead of actually addressing it, the team actively makes it WORSE.

And I'm tired of waiting for some beef to come through the draft, and as its been said we have more midget players in out top nine than THE ENTIRE WESTERN CONFERENCE.

What generally happens in the playoffs ? How many teams that rely almost exclusively on specialty teams do well ? We cant score 5v5, we cant cycle or win board battles and our entire winning philosophy is 1) counter punch 2) hope for PP chances 3) hope for world class goaltending. rinse lather repeat.

Those three things are not reliable in multiple best of 7 series.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Didn't say you shouldn't enjoy them. You should just have reasonable expectations. If we lose in 5 in round 1 this place will be an inferno...why? Team didn't live up to the lofty expectations.
There's no reason (right now) for the Habs to lose in five to TB. None. If they do, I suspect that MT will be in some danger job-wise.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:24 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Or people point to the Kings in 12 and say, "See? Make the playoffs even as a #8 and anything can happen!" even though the fancystats guys were rightfully pointing out that the Kings were going to be very dangerous in those playoffs (Kings will be dangerous this year too).

We had no business winning that game last night. We were simply mauled by the Bruins 5-on-5. If not for Budaj and a couple of posts, they win that game pretty handily. If that were game 1 in a best-of-7, it would be completely unsurprising to see the B's rattle off 4 straight wins.

Still.. it's a win over the B's, and it snapped their streak. They must be foaming at the mouth with rage today. I'll enjoy it for what it is
No doubt. Its gotta be infuriating to dominate a rival and still lose. Bruins gotta be the most mentally fragile good team I've ever seen. Every loss they're crying about things that should not matter. I love it!!!

Old
03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Because this deficiency is not acute, we have had the EXACT same problems for what ? A decade at least ? and instead of actually addressing it, the team actively makes it WORSE.

And I'm tired of waiting for some beef to come through the draft, and as its been said we have more midget players in out top nine than THE ENTIRE WESTERN CONFERENCE.

What generally happens in the playoffs ? How many teams that rely almost exclusively on specialty teams do well ? We cant score 5v5, we cant cycle or win board battles and our entire winning philosophy is 1) counter punch 2) hope for PP chances 3) hope for world class goaltending. rinse lather repeat.

Those three things are not reliable in multiple best of 7 series.
And like I said, if this upsets you so much, no one is forcing you to watch the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:27 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
There's no reason (right now) for the Habs to lose in five to TB. None. If they do, I suspect that MT will be in some danger job-wise.
TB is a good matchup but nothing surprises me with this team in the playoffs. I thought ottawa was a good matchup last year and... Yea.

Old
03-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Using last night as an example is strange, because we were playing the best team in the NHL.

I think, no matter how highly you think of this current version of the Habs, you probably agree that we're not ready to go toe-to-toe with the best teams in the NHL in a 7-game series. Whether it's Boston or Pittsburgh or St. Louis or San Jose or Chicago. So what happened last night shouldn't really be a shock...we were playing the best team in the league on a 12 game run, no doubt we got outplayed pretty decidedly.

What plays to the Habs' advantage in the East in terms of a long playoff run is that, outside of Boston and Pittsburgh, it's a pretty wide-open conference. And even those two teams aren't certainties - we've undeniably owned Rask for most of his career, and Fleury is a total wildcard in Pittsburgh.
It's not just last night though. We're in the the bottom 1/3rd for Shots against in the league, in the bottom 1/3rd for the Shots for, one of the worst teams at ES GF, in the bottom 1/3rd for GF total.
These are not encouraging numbers.

I agree though, the East is wide open. That's a big reason why we're sitting tied 4th.
Even Pittsburgh, they have their share of injuries and Fleury as you said, big wild card.
None of the opposing team scare me. Not even Boston but that's mainly because of our history with them and how no matter the talent difference of both teams, it's often tight series. So, I can see us beat them all. But I'm not confident in our play.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote