HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasons we won't go far in playoffs

Old
03-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Because this deficiency is not acute, we have had the EXACT same problems for what ? A decade at least ? and instead of actually addressing it, the team actively makes it WORSE.

And I'm tired of waiting for some beef to come through the draft, and as its been said we have more midget players in out top nine than THE ENTIRE WESTERN CONFERENCE.

What generally happens in the playoffs ? How many teams that rely almost exclusively on specialty teams do well ? We cant score 5v5, we cant cycle or win board battles and our entire winning philosophy is 1) counter punch 2) hope for PP chances 3) hope for world class goaltending. rinse lather repeat.

Those three things are not reliable in multiple best of 7 series.
Couldn't have said it better.

Instead of addressing the need, since forever, we go out and sign Briere!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Because this deficiency is not acute, we have had the EXACT same problems for what ? A decade at least ? and instead of actually addressing it, the team actively makes it WORSE.

And I'm tired of waiting for some beef to come through the draft, and as its been said we have more midget players in out top nine than THE ENTIRE WESTERN CONFERENCE.

What generally happens in the playoffs ? How many teams that rely almost exclusively on specialty teams do well ? We cant score 5v5, we cant cycle or win board battles and our entire winning philosophy is 1) counter punch 2) hope for PP chances 3) hope for world class goaltending. rinse lather repeat.

Those three things are not reliable in multiple best of 7 series.
You understand. But many don't. We are going to have to rely on the refs and that pisses me off.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
JohnLennon

Quote:
I'm sorry did you watch the game ? We were okay in the first then seriously out manned and out muscled the rest of the game. How many shots did we get 5v5 ? 6 ? 7 ?

I'm tired, exhausted really, with people pointing to the regular season as some metric of how good we are. Its been done to death and the final conclusion is always the same: the team is NOT built for the playoffs and this always becomes apparent when we fold. How is that going to change ? We have some jam on the fourth but when weisse and moen were done, with no parros, white or prust in the lineup you got a glympse of what happens.

Sure an ill-prepared team can move on with beastly goaltending, but if that is the habs plan, hope for world beater goaltending for 4 complete series in order to advance ,you might want to take a seat.
We had ten shots in the second period, they had eleven... And yes we were out-manned after the first because we were literally down two players. Seriously, the whining that we aren't a playoff team is frankly unwarranted. Last playoffs ended poorly but the success we have had against top teams in the league this season is an encouraging sign that we can beat anyone in the playoffs. We just have to see if we can do it over a seven-game series.

With the quality of the East this season, how is it not possible? Your pessimism has no warrant, especially with the impressive, against-all-odds victory last night.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:30 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBobrovsky View Post
And like I said, if this upsets you so much, no one is forcing you to watch the playoffs.
I never said anyone was forcing me, but I'm sick and tired of fans like you who insist that because we "could" win a series or two ( which applies to everyone) that we dont need to ever address systemic longstanding deficiencies.

fans like you are the absolute worst, acting like degenerate gamblers who are sure that the last 5 hours of poor decisions can get reversed by one act of luck, and then depending on this act to right the ship instead of ever committing to stop making poor decisions and replace them with better decisions.

If out plan is to hope that price singlehandedly wins us the cup, that's the exact same plan of a whole bunch of teams who also have no chance.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:35 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
I never said anyone was forcing me, but I'm sick and tired of fans like you who insist that because we "could" win a series or two ( which applies to everyone) that we dont need to ever address systemic longstanding deficiencies.

fans like you are the absolute worst, acting like degenerate gamblers who are sure that the last 5 hours of poor decisions can get reversed by one act of luck, and then depending on this act to right the ship instead of ever committing to stop making poor decisions and replace them with better decisions.

If out plan is to hope that price singlehandedly wins us the cup, that's the exact same plan of a whole bunch of teams who also have no chance.
Dude, I have NEVER said that. Of course we need to get bigger up front, and our D is way too slow . . . but I don't see the point in whining about that here and getting this upset over something you have no control over. The team is what it is right now so I suggest you hope for the best this playoff season as there is nothing we can do to fix the team's problems. That's for MB and his crew. Hopefully they'll get it right. Trading for Vanek was a good start, and re-signing would be even better.

BTW, I think we will likely lose in round 2 (unless we play the Pens).

BobBobrovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:38 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Dude, I have NEVER said that. Of course we need to get bigger up front, and our D is way too slow . . . but I don't see the point in whining about that here and getting this upset over something you have no control over. The team is what it is right now so I suggest you hope for the best this playoff season as there is nothing we can do to fix the team's problems. That's for MB and his crew. Hopefully they'll get it right. Trading for Vanek was a good start, and re-signing would be even better.
and its precisely this type of mentality that got us into this mess for the last deciade and you want to double down on it ?

Thanks, I'll pass.

I'm just wondering, does every vision of how the habs can actually get better hinge on the word " hope" ?

Old
03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We suck 5on5 in general. Play in a weak conference and at the bottom of the league 5on5. Snap out of it.
yet the team won its 40th game of the season and sits third in the division. Maybe you should snap out of it. Nobody is saying this team is perfect. We know that they struggle 5v5 but that won't change this year. They have a great PK and their PP gets chances. They also have a deep roster with plenty of size and grit on the 3rd/4th line. So maybe, just maybe instead of dwelling on all the negatives, you should look at some positives, but hey I'm obviously just a delusional fanboy

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:41 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
and its precisely this type of mentality that got us into this mess for the last deciade and you want to double down on it ?

Thanks, I'll pass.

I'm just wondering, does every vision of how the habs can actually get better hinge on the word " hope" ?
Do you understand that nothing anybody writes here has any impact? We are only fans, thus all we can do is "hope." Management is another story. Like I said, drafting some big boys is a good start, as is trading for Vanek.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Hemlor

Quote:

Thanks, I'll pass.

We as fans can only hope as we have zero input on what decisions are made. And honestly I would not want the team basing any decisions on what fans say.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

Instead of addressing the need, since forever, we go out and sign Briere!
The Briere signing is irrelevant. If you actually listened to MB you would know that he does not believe in free agency as an elixir. He has begun addressing the size issue by drafting a big power forward.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:45 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
yet the team won its 40th game of the season and sits third in the division. Maybe you should snap out of it. Nobody is saying this team is perfect. We know that they struggle 5v5 but that won't change this year. They have a great PK and their PP gets chances. They also have a deep roster with plenty of size and grit on the 3rd/4th line. So maybe, just maybe instead of dwelling on all the negatives, you should look at some positives, but hey I'm obviously just a delusional fanboy
this is like saying that the band on the titanic was actually quite good.

We dont struggle 5v5 we are ABYSMAL
PK is good and is anchored largely by goaltending, its not like we
dont give up chances
PP is hit or miss but we cant rely on in in the playoffs where the
refs largely put the whistles away
When teams turn up the physical play, we fold.

I love the habs and I'm not a pessimist, we have a lot of good elements. We also have a lot of longstanding deficiencies, and if we never address these the team will never improve regardless of how well the good contributes. Hoping that world beater goaltending somehow offsets these liabilities is not a philosophy that works in the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:47 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
We as fans can only hope as we have zero input on what decisions are made. And honestly I would not want the team basing any decisions on what fans say.
Sam Pollock said that if you allow the fans to impact your decision-making as a GM, you'll be sitting with them soon enough.

Having said that, signing Briere with the Cole savings was a bad move, no doubt, and most fans knew it at the time.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
sandysan

Quote:
The Briere signing is irrelevant. If you actually listened to MB you would know that he does not believe in free agency as an elixir. He has begun addressing the size issue by drafting a big power forward.
how did we get Briere again ? Who did we trade for him?

you can try to rationalize this as much as you like, but the GM sets out his number one priority to make the team bigger and tougher to play against, then in one of his first deals betrays this by signing the antithesis of this, that's an uphill battle to defend.

And i hope mcCarron pans out, but in a year or two he might be another louis leblanc. And what do we tell out current shrimpy players like Gallgher ? that the calvary is coming but it might be two or three years and that they should get used to being ragdolled in the meantime ?

Old
03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
AllanMTL46

Quote:
Agree 100%.

Ottawa's big d-man manhandled montreal's small forwards. Period.
Anderson is the main reason Ottawa beat us.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
this is like saying that the band on the titanic was actually quite good.

We dont struggle 5v5 we are ABYSMAL
PK is good and is anchored largely by goaltending, its not like we
dont give up chances
PP is hit or miss but we cant rely on in in the playoffs where the
refs largely put the whistles away
When teams turn up the physical play, we fold.

I love the habs and I'm not a pessimist, we have a lot of good elements. We also have a lot of longstanding deficiencies, and if we never address these the team will never improve regardless of how well the good contributes. Hoping that world beater goaltending somehow offsets these liabilities is not a philosophy that works in the playoffs.
Worked ok for the Kings, who were abysmal offensively when they won the cup. You say the Habs have a lot of good elements yet dwell on the negative ones. MB has begun to address the issues by drafting bigger players with skill. Coming out of the 2004 lockout with the new rules the management gambled and lost, choosing skill over size, based on what the rules were designed to do. Well the rules are out the window and bigger is once again better. MB has plenty of size and grit on the bottom lines and is slowly developing players with skill and size. It takes time, it won't be perfect. So until then this is what they are. They have a chance to do some damage in the playoffs and they could also fold, time will tell.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:

you can try to rationalize this as much as you like, but the GM sets out his number one priority to make the team bigger and tougher to play against, then in one of his first deals betrays this by signing the antithesis of this, that's an uphill battle to defend.

And i hope mcCarron pans out, but in a year or two he might be another louis leblanc. And what do we tell out current shrimpy players like Gallgher ? that the calvary is coming but it might be two or three years and that they should get used to being ragdolled in the meantime ?
I will snap my fingers and get you Lucic, Wayne Simmonds, Bickell this summer anyone else you can think of . . .

Old
03-25-2014, 11:55 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Do you understand that nothing anybody writes here has any impact? We are only fans, thus all we can do is "hope." Management is another story. Like I said, drafting some big boys is a good start, as is trading for Vanek.
so you are telling the current smurfs, we really want to protect you but you will have to get ragdolled for another two years in the hope that a guy we drafted pans out then we will see how it works out ?

I dont think that management listens to fans, but fans listen to management. If you dont mind getting lied to, that's on you. To suggest that everyone else should just accept whatever the hell the team decides and then hope for some miracle is the essence of being an ignorant homer and will doom this team to more decades of the same.

Old
03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Adriatic

Meh it's gonna be a quick playoff exit again, pretty much what I expected. I couldn't care less about standings or how many games we've won, we match-up pretty badly against every team out there for playoff type hockey. We're not physical or big enough to grind out playoff games and yet we're not fast or offensive enough to out skate teams like Chicago or Wings can do. The Habs rack up points early in the season when the intensity is low and pretty much die out as the season progresses. I expect them to be gassed out and injured come playoff time as usual. Yesterday in a playoff type game game we lost 2 players, another 3 or 4 games like that we'll be missing half of our forwards. Slowly we are weeding out the soft ballerina types like Diaz and Weber, next step in the off season is to address the smurfs up front.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Hemlor

Quote:

I am rationalizing by looking at what MB stated his strategy is and then looking at the moves he's making. Briere was a UFA who signed here for 2 seasons while McCarron is a longe term project with a lot of upside. And when is Gallagher ragdolled? You think he would play any differently?

Old
03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
so you are telling the current smurfs, we really want to protect you but you will have to get ragdolled for another two years in the hope that a guy we drafted pans out then we will see how it works out ?

I dont think that management listens to fans, but fans listen to management. If you dont mind getting lied to, that's on you. To suggest that everyone else should just accept whatever the hell the team decides and then hope for some miracle is the essence of being an ignorant homer and will doom this team to more decades of the same.
I never said any of that. You don't have to "accept" anything management does. Drafting some big boys early is heading in the right direction, IMO, but there is no overnight fix, no matter how much you rant and rave here. But if it makes you feel better, knock yourself out. From where the team was two years ago, it's an improvement.

Old
03-25-2014, 12:02 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
Unbelievable how many can't fathom this. Anderson went into god mode, it happens, ask the Pens and Caps about Halak. Habs were ruining that team in possession with 7regulars out of the lineup by the way. An unfairly kicked in goal at a key time didn't help either.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Yes we drafted some big guys, and i like it, but this organisation doesn't trust their young players.

-Playing scrubs like Bouillon in front of Tinordi/Beaulieu
-Keeping Subban on the short leash.
-Barely gives ice time to Galchenyuk and not playing him at center

Etc..

So it could take AWHILE before those drafted players have a fair chance to help us.

Old
03-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
We were shooting from perimeter. Easy to make saves.

Old
03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

I will root up until the playoffs and then I will become a Bruins fan. No use hoping a bunch of smurfs could win a series or 2. No fairy dust and no peter pan in tights. But i do think we are a better team then the 09-10 team that went to the semis.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/2010.html

To me the childish doom and gloom posting after every significant win is a sad commentary on you, not the team. Are we where we need to be? No, but is MB making us tougher and better? I believe yes. It does not happen overnight and it will not happen in 2 years. Watch next year. We will see a better bigger team. Go bruins

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:22 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
We were shooting from perimeter. Easy to make saves.
50 plus shots on anderson in two of those games and you say they were perimeter shots?

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote