HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What you expect for next year?

Old
03-26-2014, 12:16 PM
2LeftSkates

vCash: 500
Every other team in the NHL will try to improve, except ours.
Players who are signed will do nothing in the way of filling our obvious needs.
After the first losing streak, the GM will call the players out.
Buffalo will get our top 5 pick.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:39 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Replace Capuano with Laviolette
Sign Elliott(G) to a 3 year/$3.5M contract
Lock up de Haan, Lee and Cizikas
Convince Koskinen to come over and start the year in Bridgeport - groom to replace Nabby(who is brought back for one year as the backup)
Forfeit the 2014 pick(hopefully in the 6-7 range)
Draft Demko with our early 2nd, or trade up into the late 1st for him
Between the MTL 2nd-CHI 4th(6 picks), stock up on high upside forwards.. sprinkle in a D-man or two

...go with this lineup:

Lee - Tavares - Okposo
Grabner vs Bailey - Nelson - Strome
Bailey/Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald
13th: Boulton

de Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
Hickey - Strait
7th: Czuczman
8th: Carkner( )

Elliott
Nabokov

BP: Sundstrom, Halmo, Collberg, Persson - main prospects up front
Pulock, Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield, Pedan - main prospects on the blue line
Koskinen and Poulin - goaltending depth

Hopefully - Pulock, Pokka and Mayfield all push eachother to start the season, since there is a good chance Visnovsky will go down at some point. Luckily, Pulock has NHL-ready size; Pokka has been playing against men for years; and Mayfield has a year of AHL experience under his belt. Chances are one of them will rise above the rest.

If the worst happens, and there is a set back, we still have our '15 1st to add an elite talent. Either way, we stick to the plan of building from within, and let our young guys develop and mature. Essentially all I'm 'hoping for' is a goaltender and a new Head Coach... not sure if that's too much to ask.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:02 PM
LeHabsMan

Step 1: Fire the coaching staff.
Step 2: Trade Matt Donovan + 4th round pick for Adam McQuaid at the draft.
Step 3: Draft Bennett/Dal Colle/Draisaitl in 1st round and Demko/McDonald/Nedeljkovic in 2nd round.
Step 4: Sign a starting goaltender and top 9 veteran right winger.

Anders Lee - John Tavares - Kyle Okposo
Brock Nelson - Ryan Strome - (Free Agent*)
Michael Grabner - Frans Nielsen - Josh Bailey
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Cal Clutterbuck
- Colin McDonald
- Eric Boulton

Calvin DeHaan - Travis Hamonic
Griffin Reinhart - Lubomir Visnovsky
Thomas Hickey - Adam McQuaid
- Brian Strait
- Matt Carkner

Brian Elliott
Evgeni Nabokov

Free Agent right wing:
Everyone is probably hoping for a Gaborik, Callahan, Michalek, Hemsky, Iginla or maybe even Vanek or Moulson back, but I think those expectations are too high. Id expect someone like Lee Stempniak, Devin Setoguchi, Nikolai Kulemin or Steve Downie. All of which have experience, play with a certain amount of grit and would be good defensively responsible players to comeplete the line of Nelson and Strome.

Free Agent goaltender:
I think Miller, Hiller and Halak are re signing where they are so i think Snow actually throws some money at Elliott and rolls with him and Nabby.

Depth:
Injuries are always an issue for this team so McDonald and Strait are very capable extra forwards. Sundstrom, Halmo and Persson can be the first call ups from the AHL since Boulton would be a disater if given regular playing time. At least one of Pokka, Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield or Czucman would be ready to step up for a few games at some point if ever Carkner was forced into the lineup.
Boulton and Carkner should only be in if a game will get very physical or if there is a last second injury.

LeHabsMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:10 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Step 1: Fire the coaching staff.
Step 2: Trade Matt Donovan + 4th round pick for Adam McQuaid at the draft.
Step 3: Draft Bennett/Dal Colle/Draisaitl in 1st round and Demko/McDonald/Nedeljkovic in 2nd round.
Step 4: Sign a starting goaltender and top 9 veteran right winger.

Anders Lee - John Tavares - Kyle Okposo
Brock Nelson - Ryan Strome - (Free Agent*)
Michael Grabner - Frans Nielsen - Josh Bailey
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Cal Clutterbuck
- Colin McDonald
- Eric Boulton

Calvin DeHaan - Travis Hamonic
Griffin Reinhart - Lubomir Visnovsky
Thomas Hickey - Adam McQuaid
- Brian Strait
- Matt Carkner

Brian Elliott
Evgeni Nabokov

Free Agent right wing:
Everyone is probably hoping for a Gaborik, Callahan, Michalek, Hemsky, Iginla or maybe even Vanek or Moulson back, but I think those expectations are too high. Id expect someone like Lee Stempniak, Devin Setoguchi, Nikolai Kulemin or Steve Downie. All of which have experience, play with a certain amount of grit and would be good defensively responsible players to comeplete the line of Nelson and Strome.

Free Agent goaltender:
I think Miller, Hiller and Halak are re signing where they are so i think Snow actually throws some money at Elliott and rolls with him and Nabby.

Depth:
Injuries are always an issue for this team so McDonald and Strait are very capable extra forwards. Sundstrom, Halmo and Persson can be the first call ups from the AHL since Boulton would be a disater if given regular playing time. At least one of Pokka, Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield or Czucman would be ready to step up for a few games at some point if ever Carkner was forced into the lineup.
Boulton and Carkner should only be in if a game will get very physical or if there is a last second injury.
I would love this, even without the UFA winger. I saw on the Trade board some talk about Boston potentially moving one of Boychuk or McQuaid. Not sure how likely that is, but if one does become available I'm guessing the Isles would be all over it. Unfortunately they are both only under contract for another year, so I'm not sure what they would be willing to give up. Matt Donovan + a 4th shouldn't be an issue, but I'd have to imagine that Boston would get better offers.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I get your pessimism(or realism, as I'm sure you will call it), but how can expecting the Isles to spend to the cap-floor be wishful thinking? I'm not sure if anyone expects anything more than that. Based on what I've heard from most people, the expectation is that we'll bring in a goaltender and nothing else. You believe that is unrealistic?
I do. I believe they resign Nabakov and go with Nilsson or Poulin.

If they do sign a netminder, expect another guy on the other side of his career with diminishing skills who's best years are long behind him or a guy who cannot hook on elsewhere.

And yes, it is realism.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Brunomics

Next year I expect pain, and lots of it!

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 09:25 AM
GrabnerIsGod

Playoffs

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote