HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey equipment bags?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2014, 03:16 PM
  #1
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Hockey equipment bags?

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research for a school design project, and would appreciate any answers/help/thoughts on the some questions relating to hockey equipment bags. I've browsed the forums and have found a couple threads covering bags (as opposed to the bulk which cover actual equipment), but would like to gather a bit more info. I've put together a Survey on SurveyMonkey-- if you have some time, please take a second to help me out!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/229S3FY

I'm a lifelong hockey fan and two-year rec league player myself, so I have my own opinions and thoughts on bags, but wanted to gather a broader range of thoughts.

Many thanks again to anyone who can take a few minutes to help me out.

Cheers

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 06:21 PM
  #2
Pacifist Goon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Not sure I'm into surveys, but two things about hockey bags. They don't have enough side or extra pockets or compartments to be able to put all your other stuff or accessories into and with the exception of goalies and all their gear, hockey players should be manly enough to carry their bags without needing wheels on them or a caddy to lug it around for them. No wheels.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 10:36 PM
  #3
MattGTI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Milford
Country: United States
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
I'll take the survey when I'm at a computer at work tomorrow.

However, I will say one thing, and one thing only- a bag is only as good as it's zippers.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:23 AM
  #4
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Not sure I'm into surveys, but two things about hockey bags. They don't have enough side or extra pockets or compartments to be able to put all your other stuff or accessories into and with the exception of goalies and all their gear, hockey players should be manly enough to carry their bags without needing wheels on them or a caddy to lug it around for them. No wheels.
Hey Pacifist, thanks for sharing your thoughts here anyway. All feedback helps!

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:23 AM
  #5
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I'll take the survey when I'm at a computer at work tomorrow.

However, I will say one thing, and one thing only- a bag is only as good as it's zippers.
Very much appreciated, Matt. Noted on the zippers

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 04:38 AM
  #6
American in Paris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
I've been rocking a backpack bag for a few years now and love it. It seems a little strange to me that big strong hockey players need a wheeled bag to carry the equipment they wear while engaged in intense physical effort.

And I totally agree about the zippers.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 10:32 AM
  #7
17of26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
hockey players should be manly enough to carry their bags without needing wheels on them or a caddy to lug it around for them. No wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
It seems a little strange to me that big strong hockey players need a wheeled bag to carry the equipment they wear while engaged in intense physical effort.

And I totally agree about the zippers.
I will never understand this point of view. I think it's foolish to want to carry a big bulky bag of gear when you can just roll it instead .

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 11:56 AM
  #8
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17of26 View Post
I will never understand this point of view. I think it's foolish to want to carry a big bulky bag of gear when you can just roll it instead .
Guys with rolling bags always run over peoples' feet and take up the most real estate in an already crowded locker room.

Chau Vo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:52 PM
  #9
17of26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Vo View Post
Guys with rolling bags always run over peoples' feet and take up the most real estate in an already crowded locker room.
Rolling over someone's feet is user error and isn't the fault of the bag having wheels. If the locker room is small, people carry the bag out of the room and then wheel it out of the building/parking lot. Most people I play with use wheeled bags and I've never seen anyone's feet get run over. It's not a problem if people pay attention to what they're doing.

Whether or not the bag takes up more space depends on the bag design and has nothing to do with whether or not it has wheels. My bag is designed in the shape of a backpack with wheels on the bottom and takes up less floor space than most non-wheeled bags I've seen. It is the most compact bag design I've seen.

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 10:02 AM
  #10
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Thanks for the comments here folks, and thanks to the people who filled out the survey too! More feedback still welcome

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 10:53 AM
  #11
HFX902
Registered User
 
HFX902's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,833
vCash: 500
the rackdri bag

http://www.rackdri.com/

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 11:27 AM
  #12
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
the rackdri bag

http://www.rackdri.com/
Hey HFX, thanks for sharing this. Do you know anyone who uses this personally?

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 11:33 AM
  #13
HFX902
Registered User
 
HFX902's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teal View Post
Hey HFX, thanks for sharing this. Do you know anyone who uses this personally?
Well lots of Midget teams in Nova Scotia. Also that Halifax Mooseheads.

Nathan Mackinnon was one of the first to use it.

I am business partners with the CEO.

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 02:20 PM
  #14
neumann103
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Thoughts on hockey bags

I answered the survey

A subject near and dear to my heart. I demand at least two separate pockets, usually one on each end that I can carry clean gear. My biggest pet peeve is so many bags lack this. I am my team rep/organizer so I tend to carry some extra uniforms, gear pucks etc. While a goalie bag is typically too big I would like a bag a bit larger than common.

Ideal bag is slightly larger : about 42 inches long by 18 x 18
with separate pockets on each end for clean gear
skate pockets on the side that do not protrude (eg built in)
Wheels
retractable handle
fabric handle on each end (for lifting into car)
U shaped top zipper access to main compartment
Zippers and handles that do not break immediately.

Others have mentioned zippers. It is an almost universal truth that the zippers break before anything else. I have taped up tears in fabric to keep a well designed bag going but once you can't actually open and close the zippers it is toast.

Worst bag experience: Winnwell Senior Wheel bag. Loaded it up and the first time i lifted it the handle cam off in my hand.

Best Bag experience: Reebok wheel bag on sale at costco for $54.99 about 3 or 4 years ago.

The extra stuff I carry tends to stress the bag, and I play about 80 times a year. The wear and tear means even a good bag never lasts more than 18 months if I am lucky.

neumann103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 04:24 PM
  #15
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
Well lots of Midget teams in Nova Scotia. Also that Halifax Mooseheads.

Nathan Mackinnon was one of the first to use it.

I am business partners with the CEO.
Wow . I haven't seen this before, so thank you for enlightening me!

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 04:25 PM
  #16
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumann103 View Post
I answered the survey

A subject near and dear to my heart. I demand at least two separate pockets, usually one on each end that I can carry clean gear. My biggest pet peeve is so many bags lack this. I am my team rep/organizer so I tend to carry some extra uniforms, gear pucks etc. While a goalie bag is typically too big I would like a bag a bit larger than common.

Ideal bag is slightly larger : about 42 inches long by 18 x 18
with separate pockets on each end for clean gear
skate pockets on the side that do not protrude (eg built in)
Wheels
retractable handle
fabric handle on each end (for lifting into car)
U shaped top zipper access to main compartment
Zippers and handles that do not break immediately.

Others have mentioned zippers. It is an almost universal truth that the zippers break before anything else. I have taped up tears in fabric to keep a well designed bag going but once you can't actually open and close the zippers it is toast.

Worst bag experience: Winnwell Senior Wheel bag. Loaded it up and the first time i lifted it the handle cam off in my hand.

Best Bag experience: Reebok wheel bag on sale at costco for $54.99 about 3 or 4 years ago.

The extra stuff I carry tends to stress the bag, and I play about 80 times a year. The wear and tear means even a good bag never lasts more than 18 months if I am lucky.
Thank you for answering the survey, and for adding all this great info. Really really helpful to hear these first-hand thoughts on what works and doesn't!

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 08:11 PM
  #17
Blueland89
Registered User
 
Blueland89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cartersville, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
I would love if my bag had a outside mesh compartment for my jersey, jock, under garments, ect so that they could air out instead of fester in the bag.

Just did your survey hopper it helps.


Last edited by Blueland89: 08-20-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 01:55 AM
  #18
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
I would love if my bag had a outside mesh compartment for my jersey, jock, under garments, ect so that they could air out instead of fester in the bag.

Just did your survey hopper it helps.
Thanks for doing the survey, and for your added comments here.

And thanks to all the other people who have been answering the survery too!

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 08:44 AM
  #19
WickedWinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Well for me I would have to say the backpack style is the best. I spent my entire first season back, using an easton duffle bag that was big enough to stuff a human body into. I can tell you it was a pain. Fitting it into the tiny trunk of my car was a massive undertaking. Once I got to the rink and got it out it was like an obstacle course trying to get inside with kids, hockey moms, and other players all trying to funnel in and out of the various doors and hallways and me with two sticks and that massive bag trying to navigate through it all. Trying not to knock all the sticks off the rack or hit any of my teamate's in the locker room, was equally daunting. Then once I actually got sat down the bag took up a mile of space and needed to be constantly moved around so the other guys could get by it. Lastly, those types of bags have no organization. You open it up and its like a washing machine inside. everything is all mixed up and out of place. You almost have to dump everything out just to find what you're looking for.

Bags should go up, not out. They should have special spots for all the various pads, so that everything is organized and easily accessible. Some venting would be nice too, so that the moisture doesn't just stay trapped inside. The backpack style is great also because after a game when you're tired, the weight of your sweat saturated pads is shared evenly on your shoulders, not just hanging from one shoulder. Nice thick padded shoulder straps are a huge plus too. Wheels aren't really necessary with this type of bag, but would be a plus. Just the ability to walk through the door and having your bag hanging behind you instead of out to the side was worth it to me.

Just my 2 cents.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 04:49 AM
  #20
teal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWinger View Post
Well for me I would have to say the backpack style is the best. I spent my entire first season back, using an easton duffle bag that was big enough to stuff a human body into. I can tell you it was a pain. Fitting it into the tiny trunk of my car was a massive undertaking. Once I got to the rink and got it out it was like an obstacle course trying to get inside with kids, hockey moms, and other players all trying to funnel in and out of the various doors and hallways and me with two sticks and that massive bag trying to navigate through it all. Trying not to knock all the sticks off the rack or hit any of my teamate's in the locker room, was equally daunting. Then once I actually got sat down the bag took up a mile of space and needed to be constantly moved around so the other guys could get by it. Lastly, those types of bags have no organization. You open it up and its like a washing machine inside. everything is all mixed up and out of place. You almost have to dump everything out just to find what you're looking for.

Bags should go up, not out. They should have special spots for all the various pads, so that everything is organized and easily accessible. Some venting would be nice too, so that the moisture doesn't just stay trapped inside. The backpack style is great also because after a game when you're tired, the weight of your sweat saturated pads is shared evenly on your shoulders, not just hanging from one shoulder. Nice thick padded shoulder straps are a huge plus too. Wheels aren't really necessary with this type of bag, but would be a plus. Just the ability to walk through the door and having your bag hanging behind you instead of out to the side was worth it to me.

Just my 2 cents.
Hey Wicked, very much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to share your bag experiences.

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.