HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-build the Flyers defense

Old
03-31-2014, 11:50 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
he would thrive if he have someone like Coburn to help him, i mean look at what Coburn is doing here, playing as #1 Dman and he handling it pretty damn good.

Coburn would allow Phaneuf to dominate+he doesn't have to play the toughest competition in NHL here and he would get support from forwards like "Couturier,Read".
I agree. If TOR is taking some salary back and you can get a #2 or possibly get a #1 if his head is on straight but man 7 years is a long time if you're wrong.

Also, I think the Hartnell piece is over rated . Hartnell seems like the type of guy that has fun with their rival and would keep things loose for a guy that plays with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Dion would probably strive in a Scott Hartnell locker room.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:07 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Dion would probably strive in a Scott Hartnell locker room.
Do you mean thrive?

I'm not so sure. People who are reported jerks and take things too seriously generally stay that way. I would hope Hartnell is that much of a character guy to bring out the best in Phaneuf, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the money and assets on a risk like that.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:17 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Do you mean thrive?

I'm not so sure. People who are reported jerks and take things too seriously generally stay that way. I would hope Hartnell is that much of a character guy to bring out the best in Phaneuf, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the money and assets on a risk like that.
His play may improve in a locker room where he isn't the best player (Giroux) and he doesn't have to be a leader in the locker room (Hartnell, Giroux, Kimmo, Simonds).
How did Dion do playing with Iginla. I think Bouwmeester would be a good comparison in StL.

I don't know if I would take the chance but if they can buy low it would be tempting.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Norm MacDonald

I'd be all for bringing in Phaneuf if it won't cost a lot. He's not my #1 choice, but the Flyers could really utilize a 2-way D to fill in their top 4 if Timonen leaves. He's being undervalued right now because he's struggling at the worst time for the worst possible team, but he really doesn't have a support system to help him out.

And while we're on the subject of reclamation projects, what would you guys think about bringing back Sbisa?

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Eww he reeks of Toronto, don't put a piece of moldy bread in the middle of a new loaf.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:12 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
I'd be all for bringing in Phaneuf if it won't cost a lot. He's not my #1 choice, but the Flyers could really utilize a 2-way D to fill in their top 4 if Timonen leaves. He's being undervalued right now because he's struggling at the worst time for the worst possible team, but he really doesn't have a support system to help him out.

And while we're on the subject of reclamation projects, what would you guys think about bringing back Sbisa?
I think you could make an argument that his play isn't even NHL worthy at this point.

Ducks fans hate the guy from what I can remember. He's been one of their worst defenders for the last couple of years while getting some of the easiest minutes.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think you could make an argument that his play isn't even NHL worthy at this point.

Ducks fans hate the guy from what I can remember. He's been one of their worst defenders for the last couple of years while getting some of the easiest minutes.
So the asking price should be pretty low

I was watching him tonight and he actually looked pretty good. I know it's only one game (and probably his best in a long time), but I believe there's enough talent there to take a shot at him as a bottom pairing guy.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 01:50 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
So the asking price should be pretty low

I was watching him tonight and he actually looked pretty good. I know it's only one game (and probably his best in a long time), but I believe there's enough talent there to take a shot at him as a bottom pairing guy.
Yes but I don't even know if I would want him anyway though, he carries a $2.175M cap hit while essentially being a depth defensemen.

Old
04-01-2014, 02:01 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Sbisa's offensive game is nowhere to be found, and hes not that great defensively. He got rushed into the NHL and I think it ruined him as a prospect IMO

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:05 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
I agree. I think he can handle the in-game pressure of being a top pairing guy, it's the C on his chest that he can't handle. He tries to bring that with him on the ice. You guys already have a leadership group in place. He'd be just another piece.

Being paid ~$6M makes him paid like a middle-of-the pack #1, really good #2 which is what he is.

We don't want a #1D coming back for him, we wouldn't be targetting Morin.

What would you guys offer for him?
i think grossman and rosehill for phaneuf sounds about right, hell you can have a 7th and 6th rounder as well , lmao but no seriously id love phanuef to play here, but it loss like im only one of a few

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:16 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Sbisa's offensive game is nowhere to be found, and hes not that great defensively. He got rushed into the NHL and I think it ruined him as a prospect IMO
Anaheim even tried to work him into the lineup his second year after being drafted but eventually had to send him back as well.

I don't think it helped but I don't think it was a big factor, I just think the guy was a dud pick. He was just average to terrible from day 1. He had some good production in 2011-2012 with 5 goals & 24 points but it's hard to get by in this league without being good in your own end & that type production while not bad doesn't make up for it.

Old
04-01-2014, 02:26 AM
PALE PWNR

On Phaneuf, he's being criminally underrated in this thread, I wouldn't touch the asking price on him though. Idk what TO would want, I'm assuming a C they'd ask for Couturier, settle for B Schenn and I wouldn't want to give up either. I know B Schenn isn't as valuable as Phaneuf I just don't want to move roster forwards. I don't think the Flyers need to trade for a d-man. I think the solution is to let our prospect pool provide us with a solid d-corps over the next couple of years, and possibly make a trade involving Laughton for a more "hyped" D prospect of similar value.

Old
04-01-2014, 02:31 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
On Phaneuf, he's being criminally underrated in this thread, I wouldn't touch the asking price on him though. Idk what TO would want, I'm assuming a C they'd ask for Couturier, settle for B Schenn and I wouldn't want to give up either. I know B Schenn isn't as valuable as Phaneuf I just don't want to move roster forwards. I don't think the Flyers need to trade for a d-man. I think the solution is to let our prospect pool provide us with a solid d-corps over the next couple of years, and possibly make a trade involving Laughton for a more "hyped" D prospect of similar value.
I agree. I think we should consider Schenns for vanRiemsdyk. That sounds like a winner of a deal for me.

Clear of capspace to sign MacDonald, get our new actual LW, let Laughton develop until he's ready to take over for Lecavaleir (our new 3rd line center), and then we just let the chips fall where they may.

vanRiemsydk - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Simmonds
Hartnell - Lecavalier - Raffl
Rinaldo - Laughton - McGinn

Timonen - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Really though, we should see if Toronto or Edmonton wants Lecavalier...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
UFA - Schenn - Simmonds
Laughton - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Raffl

Timonen - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Gustafsson - Schenn

Oh my god...think of the defense!!!

Last edited by CS: 04-01-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old
04-01-2014, 02:57 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Bob Mackenzie at around the 15 minute mark or so talks about the Flyers interest in Christian Folin and he said we would be willing to offer him a guaranteed spot on our blue line because he thinks we are going to try to rebuild it.
I guess the Wild took care of that.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:58 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
I agree.

UFA - Schenn - Simmonds
Rinaldo - Hall - Raffl

Timonen - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Gustafsson - Schenn

yea, we are on the same wavelength, Lecavalier wouldn't go to EDM though, it would have to be the right fit. Would MTL or TO be interested? I think Laughton gets a shot at a top 9 spot if he proves he can play wing. He'd add a level of competence to the Read/Couturier line that they really haven't had all year aside from when Raffl plays. And I think Laughton could learn a ton on a line like that. I'd kind of like to see us try Raffl-Schenn-Simmonds this year but that won't happen as long as he's playing with Couturier and Read. I don't think we add a big name UFA even if we do trade Vinny. I mean there are a lot of options this year sure but how many are really a fit for this team? Vanek(MIN-bound IMO), Iginla, Cammalleri , Whitney, Jagr, Alfredsson, Gaborik, Heatley, Michalek, J Jokinen, Morrow, Callahan, Kulemin, Penner, Setoguchi.

I would be ok with this being our forward corps next year

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Schenn-Simmonds
Laughton-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Hall-Vandevelde

Old
04-01-2014, 03:11 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I agree. I think we should consider Schenns for vanRiemsdyk. That sounds like a winner of a deal for me.

Clear of capspace to sign MacDonald, get our new actual LW, let Laughton develop until he's ready to take over for Lecavaleir (our new 3rd line center), and then we just let the chips fall where they may.

vanRiemsydk - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Simmonds
Hartnell - Lecavalier - Raffl
Rinaldo - Laughton - McGinn

Timonen - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Gustafsson - Grossmann

UFA - Schenn - Simmonds
Rinaldo - Hall - Raffl

Timonen - Coburn
Streit - MacDonald
Gustafsson - Schenn

You have a better shot at winning the lottery than seeing the Flyers trot out an undersized defense like that next year.

Old
04-01-2014, 03:19 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
You have a better shot at winning the lottery than seeing the Flyers trot out an undersized defense like that next year.
Just replace the parts that say Gustafsson with Morin. 10vcash says hes in the NHL full time next year

Old
04-01-2014, 05:20 AM
dats81

Quote:

Sbisa is just mediocre in all aspects of the game:

Can't use him to create offense because even though he skates and passes well, he still does not have the hockey sense to create.

Can't use him in a shutdown role because he is not a shutdown defenseman either because he does not play with enough consistency to be relied on.

But if he could be had for cheap, maybe with the change of scenery he turns into a servicable allrounder again?

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Appleyard

Sbisa has all the physical and technical tools to be a ~#2-3 D man in this league.

He never will be as his hockey sense is awfffffffffffffful. He literally makes the opposite decision he should most of the time.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Tedeward

Honestly, I dont see Streit on this team long term and I think we should trade him along with Grossmann and Gus this offseason. What we want for this team is good, young, cheap puck moving dmen. Streit is old, expensive, and he hasnt moved the puck well this season (he just has a really good shot). Grossmann is... well, Grossmann. He is not needed. Gus is good but he just doesnt fit our system. I think the three of them could get a decent haul coming back. We could either trade them for a bunch of picks like 2 2nds and a 3rd or something like that, and swing that for a dman. Or we could package them in a deal for a good dman or winger. I like Nick Leddy. Young puck mover that we could get for some picks. But I would REALLY like to get Jake Trouba. He has loads of potential. Either way i think we should fill our d core with younger and cheaper alternatives.

Ghost/Hagg/Alt/Leddy/Trouba/ Dman from another team/etc. -Timonen
Coburn-Ghost/Hagg/Alt/Leddy/Trouba/ Dman from another team/etc.
Schenn-Macdonald

Tedeward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Curufinwe

Streit isn't going anywhere.

Neither is Trouba.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Tedeward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Streit isn't going anywhere.

Neither is Trouba.
I understand Trouba but why dont u think we should move Streit? He can't move the puck very well, although he is one of the best on the team. We dont really need him for the PP because the 2nd unit sucks anyway. I would much rather have a younger player developing in our lineup.

Tedeward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:28 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedeward View Post
I understand Trouba but why dont u think we should move Streit? He can't move the puck very well, although he is one of the best on the team. We dont really need him for the PP because the 2nd unit sucks anyway. I would much rather have a younger player developing in our lineup.
You produce offense from your blueline.

Subtract Timonen and Streit from our defense and suddenly we have none of that. Gustafsson becomes our best offensive weapon at the point.

Old
04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedeward View Post
Did watch the last game vs Florida..Streit was taking the puck zone to zone and looked pretty good at it.
Grossmann would be my target player to get rid of. Schenn has been looking better since the Flyers acquired MacDonald. Gus or Hagg could be a fit next year.

04-10-2014, 09:41 AM
PropJoe

Some more evidence this team should not spend its limited cap space in an effort to resign MacDonald (which is almost definitely going to happen): http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/4/9...ntries-defense

MacDonald is often given credit for being good defensively because of his propensity for blocking shots but the more likely truth is that he's bad defensively because his gap control is awful. He consistently allows for a ton of space for the puck carrying forward in his own zone and often leaves his partner out to dry.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote