HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014-15 Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 900
Possibly an ECHL/CHL merger?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-chl-to-merge/

How would that affect the whole Denver and Fort Wayne relationships with the Avs?

Old
08-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post

How would that affect the whole Denver and Fort Wayne relationships with the Avs?
Strictly speaking if this were to happen in 2015-16 like the article suggests, the Avs only have a contract with Fort Wayne for 2014-15. So they'd likely retain their affiliation with the Cutthroats.

Old
08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
waltdorholt

vCash: 500
That would be good for the Fish

Old
08-06-2014, 03:54 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Who has ultimate authority to decide the coach of an AHL team? Is it the owner? Does the affiliated NHL team have any power? It is a collaborative effort?

Old
08-07-2014, 03:22 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I couldn't sleep, maybe I just found a little bit of news. Lake Erie signed another goalie to an AHL contract

Quote:
@MLalancetteTVA: François Tremblay signe un contrat à deux volets avec les Monsters de Lake Erie, club-école de l'Avalanche. Premier geste de J. Mésonéro?

Francois Tremblay signs a two-way contract with the Lake Erie Monsters, minor affiliate of the Avalanche. First sign of J.Mesonero?
If I'm reading his bio right, St Louis draft pick they recently lost rights to.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=89064

Last edited by tigervixxxen: 08-07-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old
08-07-2014, 03:28 AM
BrickAHL
No More

I was searching for a goalie named J.Mesonero until I realized that he was our new scout.

Old
08-07-2014, 03:29 AM
BrickAHL
No More

In the playoffs he had a 4.66 GAA but .956 SV%... how?!?

Old
08-07-2014, 03:33 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I was searching for a goalie named J.Mesonero until I realized that he was our new scout.

I should probably add a translated version to avoid confusion

Old
08-07-2014, 03:41 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Oh there is an article too. Google translate says the Monsters have been interested in him for a while and he'll probably go to the Komets or Cutthroats.

http://www.lanouvelle.net/Sports/Hoc...hez-les-pros/1

Old
08-07-2014, 10:18 AM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
In the playoffs he had a 4.66 GAA but .956 SV%... how?!?
Just a misprint. It was .856. 125/146.

Old
08-07-2014, 10:31 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Tremblay was one of the higher ranked goalies going into the 2012 draft. I doubt he turns into much as he is pretty slow and stiff, but he is going to learn from the very best at teaching the style he plays.

Old
08-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Tremblay was one of the higher ranked goalies going into the 2012 draft. I doubt he turns into much as he is pretty slow and stiff, but he is going to learn from the very best at teaching the style he plays.
I wonder why they didn't just retain Patterson.

Old
08-07-2014, 12:49 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I wonder why they didn't just retain Patterson.
Hard to say exactly what they were thinking other than they just don't believe he has the talent combined with too many goalies ahead of him. Patterson going on 25 when the season starts has to play a factor as well.

Old
08-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Hard to say exactly what they were thinking other than they just don't believe he has the talent combined with too many goalies ahead of him. Patterson going on 25 when the season starts has to play a factor as well.
Looking further, Patterson signed in the ECHL a few days ago with the Marlies affiliate. I wonder if that was his decision or a parting ways decision... since playing in the CHL/ECHL is pretty much a wash if the Monsters offered him an AHL contract like Tremblay.

He's familiar with the system/staff and did pretty well, so I find it hard to believe Monsters staff opted for Tremblay over Patterson.

This is a time for our trusty media to investigate and get back to us. Oh wait...

Old
08-07-2014, 03:01 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Looking further, Patterson signed in the ECHL a few days ago with the Marlies affiliate. I wonder if that was his decision or a parting ways decision... since playing in the CHL/ECHL is pretty much a wash if the Monsters offered him an AHL contract like Tremblay.

He's familiar with the system/staff and did pretty well, so I find it hard to believe Monsters staff opted for Tremblay over Patterson.

This is a time for our trusty media to investigate and get back to us. Oh wait...
I doubt they offered him anything. Tremblay is still young and has upside. Patterson is past the make or break age and he didn't make an impact at the AHL level. If he was 22 I bet he would have gotten another contract, but being 25 soon, there just isn't reason to keep him when you can have a 20 and 22 year olds with similar or better upside cutting their teeth in Denver/Ft Wayne while two younger and better prospects fight it out in the AHL.

Old
08-07-2014, 03:26 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:

Tremblay is only 19 years old. At 25 they probably figured they knew what they had in Patterson. And considering he wasnt even in the AHL yet......

I actually met one of the cutthroat players a few weeks ago. I said something about being surprised Patterson was not retained after leading the team to the finals. He didnt seem to think it was a big deal.

Old
08-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
No chance he's related to Mario is there? That would just be weird. Signed him just to leave him in net during a blow out for payback.

BTW, I just noticed we have a new affiliation with the Komets because of the new thread title here. Would be nice if one of our beat reporters had mentioned it. Going back it doesn't look like anyone did. Great work as usual boys.

Old
08-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Freaky Styley

I think I've seen it mentioned here a few times and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a link to Patrick Roy mentioning something about following the Tampa Bay model when it came to signing young, undrafted free agents like the Avs did at the beginning of the off-season. Any help would be appreciated.

Old
08-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I think I've seen it mentioned here a few times and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a link to Patrick Roy mentioning something about following the Tampa Bay model when it came to signing young, undrafted free agents like the Avs did at the beginning of the off-season. Any help would be appreciated.
Maybe he said something to that effect, but I don't recall it.

The TB comments I remember were about how he liked that their AHL team was built to compete for a championship, so that way the young guys that came up, and are on their team now had a step ahead development wise, because they had been in that pressure situation to win a pro championship.

I don't remember when or where he said it though, so I don't have a link.

Old
08-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Qurpiz
The omniscient

I'm all up for the Avs line between NHL and AHL to be know as "The Cut"

Old
08-09-2014, 06:08 PM
hf031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post

Found this to be an interesting piece from the article:

"Wolski added that Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Stockton and Ontario – all teams currently in the ECHL – could join the American Hockey League next year to form a true Western Conference. The AHL has been in discussions with western-based NHL teams about moving their affiliations to the west making it easier for player transactions to occur."

From the link provided, it also talked about such a western division starting in 2015 and that the Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are on board to move their affiliates for it.

I wonder if that will end up being a reality, and so soon. Makes me a bit concerned about the landscape of the AHL as it will apply in Cleveland, if the Avs end up following that potential trend. Any thoughts on that from Denver?

Old
08-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

When Dreger reported on this a little while ago, he said the Avs were one of the 6 or 7 teams that met with the NHL about making changes. At the time I think they were in the top 5 for furthest distance away from their AHL team. So I could see them still possibly wanting to have an AHL affiliate closer to them.

If nothing else, getting out of Cleveland would probably give the prospects a nice morale boost.

Old
08-09-2014, 08:25 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Really, top 5? I don't know about that when California teams all have to travel to NY or New England, Vancouver is in Utica, NY, Arizona is in Portland, Maine, St Johns is far no matter what and others such as Edmonton to OKC can't be close either. Denver to Cleveland is not that bad travel-wise in the grand scheme of things and Cleveland has a major airport and city at least. Lake Erie is also top 3 in league attendance and plays in the NBA arena now with the basketball god himself so I don't know that they could get in a much better setup than they are in now. Traveling to California isn't much closer and going to a market like Bakersfield isn't exactly an upgrade. Also, the Avs don't want to associate with the Pacific teams because they don't want to be one, with the divisional alignment that puts them with Chicago, St Louis and Nashville's AHL teams it makes more sense that they remain in the midwest. Now I can believe the Avs are exploring moving west and to be frank, Lake Erie probably wants a better team as an affiliate. But I just don't see them at the top of the list of teams to jump ship.

Now if the rumors come true where they combine the CHL and ECHL to form one "AA" league and then flip some of those better markets into AHL teams and vice versa then some interesting scenarios might develop. I can't see the Cutthroats as anything more viable than a ECHL team, the Coliseum is a dump and don't think the Avs would be thrilled with having the next level pro team in their market but I could see the Colorado Eagles as a possibility to become an AHL team. They have good attendance, a nice arena and an established fanbase that isn't just drawing from the Denver market. Then if you could have all 3 affiliates in Colorado that would be a perfect scenario. Otherwise, I think it makes more sense to remain in Lake Erie.

Old
08-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Lake Erie has the 3rd highest attendance in the AHL. I'm sure the Avs are just fine with that and see no need to change things right now.

Old
08-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Their really 3rd? Hopefully this upcoming season will give them a reason to keep coming to the games because so far I can't imagine it's been a lot of fun.

Closed Thread