HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking after equipment

Old
03-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Pacifist Goon

vCash: 500
Looking after equipment

Any good tips for looking after and maintaining your gear?

I try to get it all out of the bag and hanging out to dry and air as soon as I get in the door and clothing all in the wash. Dry the skate blades off and don't leave the skate guards on.

People washing and cleaning their stuff or just throwing it in the bag?

I'm over the hockey smell now, on pretty new gear at the moment and keen to avoid it, but's it's probably unavoidable.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:10 PM
MattGTI

Keep on doing what you are doing.

I air everything out the second I get home. And let it be for as long as a day and a half(unless I need it).

I honestly dont wash my actual equipment too often. Probably do my shoulders, and elbows once or twice a year. Along with scrubbing the inner liners of my shin guards. Airing it out when it's damp, and a couple sprays of Fabreze will go a long way, for a long time.

As for skates, I always wipe them down, and find a clean, dry, safe place to let them dry and air out. A little thing that a lot of people don't do is remove their insoles. That's huge to me in terms of the skate drying out properly.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Canadiens1958

Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
Keep on doing what you are doing.

I air everything out the second I get home. And let it be for as long as a day and a half(unless I need it).

I honestly dont wash my actual equipment too often. Probably do my shoulders, and elbows once or twice a year. Along with scrubbing the inner liners of my shin guards. Airing it out when it's damp, and a couple sprays of Fabreze will go a long way, for a long time.

As for skates, I always wipe them down, and find a clean, dry, safe place to let them dry and air out. A little thing that a lot of people don't do is remove their insoles. That's huge to me in terms of the skate drying out properly.
Consider striking a balance between masking procedures like Fabreze and cleaning/washing procedures that actually remove the dirt, germs, bacteria, etc.

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Pog Form

The key is to get it dry. Airing out is a great first step, but if it's "airing" in a damp musty closet, you're still going to have problems. Consider investing in a dehumidifier. You'd be shocked (aka disgusted) by how much moisture comes out of your gear after a skate.

If you can keep your stuff dry, the progression of other issues (smell, wear, etc.) will slow down tremendously.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 10:14 AM
McDugan

I spray everything down with a mixture of 75% rubbing alcohol and 25% Febreze Sport and let it air dry. Stench can be avoided as long as you don't let laziness creep into this routine. I do machine wash my jerseys, socks, jock pretty regularly.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 03:40 PM
redbranch

I live by my rocket dryer. our family has 3 sets of gear between us and it keeps it all in good shape, and dry quickly

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
elmariachi227

I take out all of my gear and hang it as soon as I get home. Everything that touches my skin except for knee and elbow pads go right in the washer.

That means: Jersey, jock shorts, socks, hockey socks, underwear, undershirt, crying towel. They all go in the washer, light soil, not too much detergent, on hand wash (delicate), cold water, high spin speed. Never use fabric softener. They all get hanged to dry as soon as the cycle is done.

The equipment that I hang to dry typically only takes about 20 hours to dry in winter. It takes longer in spring/fall/summer, but I have a dehumidifier nearby that I can use so that it only takes about a day. If I'm in a real hurry, I put a fan on one end of the rack, the dehumidifier on the other, and cover the rack with a tarp.

The stuff out of the washer takes about a day and a half to dry depending on how well the spin cycle went. If I have a game two days later, I'll throw it in the dryer with no fabric softener on low heat for 20 minutes at most.

I wipe down the padding/chin cup inside the helmet every few weeks. Cup gets a wipe down too.

At the end of a season, or a break where I'm going to go at least a week without a game, I throw the elbow and knee pads in the washer. My pants and shoulders are two years old and I haven't had to wash them yet. Your underwear/jock shorts and undershirt should be filtering most of the stink from the skin/sweat from your body before it gets to the pads. If not, then you've been using fabric softener or you eat more garlic, onions, god knows what else than I dare to. I sweat a hell of a lot and haven't had smelly gear issues so far.

Last edited by elmariachi227: 03-24-2014 at 05:35 PM.
elmariachi227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 06:07 PM
TrueBlue86

I do a lot of the things that have already been mentioned here...

-Let equpment air dry completely before putting back in bag
-spray things down with Febreze antimicrobial about once per month
- wash everything in bath tub 2-3 times per year , except skates and helmet

Been playing about 2 years with no smell . Key is letting.equipment dry every single time

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 11:21 PM
damack

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
I live by my rocket dryer. our family has 3 sets of gear between us and it keeps it all in good shape, and dry quickly
I second the Rocket Dryer. I spray everything down with Sport Clenz and it's bone dry and odor free in an hour. Best $99 I ever spent.

http://rocketsportdryer.com/

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 01:36 AM
Pacifist Goon

So elbows and shoulders can go through the machine once in a while ok?

How 'bout gloves?

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Marotte Marauder

Unlace the skates halfway down and really yank the tongue forward before hanging them up.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 05:10 PM
BlueJazz

As soon as I get home, I spray all my gear down with Febreeze Anti-Bacterial and hang it up in the bathroom with the fan on. I been playing twice a week for 6 months, and so far no smell. I may give everything a wash this summer, but this system seems to be working well for me.

BlueJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:58 AM
American in Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDugan View Post
I spray everything down with a mixture of 75% rubbing alcohol and 25% Febreze Sport and let it air dry. Stench can be avoided as long as you don't let laziness creep into this routine. I do machine wash my jerseys, socks, jock pretty regularly.
Interesting. Does the rubbing alcohol make a difference?

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:21 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
You may use it but you might smell like an alcoholic out there

There's no need to spray after every skate because I dont know how healthy the chemicals are for your skin . I spray about once per month and experience no smell as long as everyyhing dries

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 09:25 AM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
It kills bacteria far better than the Febreze, which has some alcohol content but mostly just masks odor. And it evaporates very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
You may use it but you might smell like an alcoholic out there.
There's no need to spray after every skate because I dont know how healthy the chemicals are for your skin . I spray about once per month and experience no smell as long as everyyhing dries
Because it evaporates so quickly, alcohol doesn't leave any smell or residue behind, so neither of those (smell or skin contact) are an issue.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
JulianHopper*

I 've always taken my gear out of the bag after every game but I bought one of those hockey tree stands a couple years ago and it really works well.

I usually keep my gear in the garage that isn't heated and find that it doesn't dry to well in the winter so I just bring it inside in the basement now.

I also wash my gear at least once a year and use Profresh form elite hockey as a spray during the season as needed

JulianHopper* is offline   Reply With Quote