HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Flyers Sign Kevin Goumas (F, UNH) to an Amateur Try-Out Contract

Old
03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Only saw him play against Northeastern (3 goals) and Providence (2 goals) so he looked like he was easily the best forward on that team. He can fly but his size is really concerning right now.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:11 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
I'd say to get him to bulk up over the off-season and then along with that, make sure his skating is up to par with the extra weight added. If need be, even add him to the Phantoms for some more time to play before bringing him up?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:15 AM
RJ8812*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd say to get him to bulk up over the off-season and then along with that, make sure his skating is up to par with the extra weight added. If need be, even add him to the Phantoms for some more time to play before bringing him up?
This guy is Phantoms bound next season anyways. He probably isnt going to beat anyone out in the top-9 and he probably isnt good enough defensively to play on the 4th line

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Striiker
Weal's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkHislopCox View Post
He primarily played first-line center for UNH this season. He's periodically played left wing but, at this stage in his career, is more effective as a play-maker.
Really? I saw a bunch of websites said C/LW and a few said just LW..

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Striiker
Weal's #1 fan

Either way, if he plans on making it to the NHL and play on this team he's going to need to play W because he's certainly not making it as a center.

Old
03-26-2014, 11:38 AM
ClarkHislopCox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Really? I saw a bunch of websites said C/LW and a few said just LW..
I cover the team for a blog and saw every game this season. Coach Umile encouraged Goumas to work on his shot accuracy and played him on left wing some. But, at this stage, his specialty is making plays at high speed with the puck on his stick. He also improved his back-checking and team defense under the tutelage of Associate Coach Jim Tortorella.

ClarkHislopCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Funf

Nice signing. Can't lose on these college FA's.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:45 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I cover the team for a blog and saw every game this season. Coach Umile encouraged Goumas to work on his shot accuracy and played him on left wing some. But, at this stage, his specialty is making plays at high speed with the puck on his stick. He also improved his back-checking and team defense under the tutelage of Associate Coach Jim Tortorella.
Well if he wants a shot at the NHL he's gonna need to learn how to be effective on the wing. There is absolutely no chance he makes it on the Flyers roster as a center. Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Lecavalier and even Laughton next season are the centers.

Quote:
He's gonna be a Phantom not a Flyer most definitely. Not just this season but next as well. People should temper their expectations. Read was a real gem, players like him aren't a common find. If you recall he played out the end of the season with Phantoms and had a ppg. In camp Homer had him penciled in on the top line with Richards.

He has to prove himself first with the Phantoms and I'm sure if the organization thought that highly of him we'll hear something more about him.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 03-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:46 AM
GoneFullHextall
NOT MY PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I assume you get to watch this guy a lot because of your location? If so, could you give us some insight of what he might be able to be at the next level?
offensive first guy. above average skater. for a guy who is small he isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas to get goals. isn't great defensively and his board work is average at best.
right now I would have to say he is going to need a full season in the AHL. I don't think he is NHL ready yet.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
NOT MY PRESIDENT

Quote:
yes that is Johns brother in case anyone was wondering. cant disagree with this additional assessment of him either. while he still could get better defensively he is miles better then he was when he was a freshman and sophmore

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Striiker
Weal's #1 fan

Quote:
Oh that's cool. What would you say is a realistic expectation for him? Good enough to make it to the NHL?

Old
03-26-2014, 12:11 PM
iceman42

Quote:
not sure hes going to bulk up much at all, he was at a major college and if he didn't bulk up while there he might be just one of those kids who cant put on weight.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:19 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
not sure hes going to bulk up much at all, he was at a major college and if he didn't bulk up while there he might be just one of those kids who cant put on weight.
This doesn't exist. Everyone can put on muscle. If you "can't" then you're doing it wrong or you some sort of disorder.

I'm a gym rat and I've had experience with lots of skinny people who according to them couldn't gain weight. That was indeed true, until I stepped in.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
This doesn't exist. Everyone can put on muscle. If you "can't" then you're doing it wrong or you some sort of disorder.

I'm a gym rat and I've had experience with lots of skinny people who according to them couldn't gain weight. That was indeed true, until I stepped in.
How do I lose body fat?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post

As a side note, I'd kill to be fit. But my job, distance and so on doesn't help, even if I try to eat somewhat better.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:03 PM
ClarkHislopCox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Oh that's cool. What would you say is a realistic expectation for him? Good enough to make it to the NHL?
If I had that kind of predictive ability, I wouldn't be running a blog as a hobby.

One other observation - Goumas can play mean and nasty and is reminiscent of Nathan Gerbe in that respect. I also agree with GFHolmgren that Goumas, at least at the college level, was not afraid to go to the net and low slot for scoring opportunities.

ClarkHislopCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:10 PM
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!

One to watch, obviously there's a size concern, but ya never know.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:29 PM
sharpeye97

I don't like when size is criticized, especially for a playmaker. Size in the NHL now is not as much of a problem as many seem to think. They may have more difficulty than bigger players in puck battles but you can look at Giroux and be amazed with his strength in puck battles, especially since he under 6'0". There are also others in the league that are great players under 6'0". Flyers need a skilled winger badly in their system and hopefully he becomes a useful player in the future.

sharpeye97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Siopao142428

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeye97 View Post
I don't like when size is criticized, especially for a playmaker. Size in the NHL now is not as much of a problem as many seem to think. They may have more difficulty than bigger players in puck battles but you can look at Giroux and be amazed with his strength in puck battles, especially since he under 6'0". There are also others in the league that are great players under 6'0". Flyers need a skilled winger badly in their system and hopefully he becomes a useful player in the future.
Exactly, I feel the NHL in general has created this rush in the past 10 years to find the largest players possible building this stigma around people who are under 200 lbs. Don't get me wrong I still think he's on the smaller end of the scale but this shouldn't be a deterrent for fans. He still has time to bulk up and what we should be focused on is how his play translates on the professional level after he puts on some more weight and plays in the AHL for a bit.

Siopao142428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

If he ever were to make it in the NHL it would likely be in a bottom 6 role where you have to do a lot of the dirty work so size is still a possible concern here especially when also taking into consideration that his skating is just ok.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Is this guy eligible to play this year? I know he can't play in the playoffs, and isn't really needed, just curious if he could play if maybe someone gets hurt or something.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Is this guy eligible to play this year? I know he can't play in the playoffs, and isn't really needed, just curious if he could play if maybe someone gets hurt or something.
He could technically but I doubt he would be a move.

IIRC the Flyers only have two call up options left now that they called up Heeter & McGinn.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:02 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He could technically but I doubt he would be a move.

IIRC the Flyers only have two call up options left now that they called up Heeter & McGinn.
Would also burn a year off his ELC. More than likely an ATO to finish the season with the ELC kicking in next season.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:28 PM
The Couturier Effect

@InsideTheFlyers
UNH F Kevin Goumas has signed with the #Flyers organization. He will report to the Phantoms on an ATO today and an AHL-only deal next year.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Couturier Effect View Post
@InsideTheFlyers
UNH F Kevin Goumas has signed with the #Flyers organization. He will report to the Phantoms on an ATO today and an AHL-only deal next year.
How does that work? He has to sign a new deal to be called up or something?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote