HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Kevin Goumas (F, UNH) to an Amateur Try-Out Contract

Old
03-26-2014, 02:36 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How does that work? He has to sign a new deal to be called up or something?
Yeah. Vandevelde was signed to one and needed to sign an NHL contract to be called up. I was wondering if it was an AHL or NHL deal. Guess that answers that question. Even better pick up.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:38 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
This doesn't exist. Everyone can put on muscle. If you "can't" then you're doing it wrong or you some sort of disorder.

I'm a gym rat and I've had experience with lots of skinny people who according to them couldn't gain weight. That was indeed true, until I stepped in.
Probably worded it wrong. I never had the problem in high school or college -- but I have seen kids who workout with professional (NFL) and college (NCAA DI) weight and conditioning coaches and the can change their body some, but could never gain more then 5lb of course they were focused on maintaining a functional athlete.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 02:55 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Only saw him play against Northeastern (3 goals) and Providence (2 goals) so he looked like he was easily the best forward on that team. He can fly but his size is really concerning right now.
Yeah he is absolutely UNH's (former) best forward

UNH tends to have a lot of really good small forwards because their arena is international size so its a bit bigger

Good for him, I wish him well

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:09 PM
JGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
How do I lose body fat?
Burn more calories than you consume.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:19 PM
sharpeye97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
Burn more calories than you consume.
Your body would shutdown if you did that and you would have no energy. Also, you'd probably have a heart attack trying to burn those calories because men are suppose to consume around 2,000 calories a day.

Best way to burn fat is cut out saturated fat/crap, replace your intake with healthy/useful calories, don't over consume, exercise. Over time you will burn the fat off.

sharpeye97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeye97 View Post
I don't like when size is criticized, especially for a playmaker. Size in the NHL now is not as much of a problem as many seem to think. They may have more difficulty than bigger players in puck battles but you can look at Giroux and be amazed with his strength in puck battles, especially since he under 6'0". There are also others in the league that are great players under 6'0". Flyers need a skilled winger badly in their system and hopefully he becomes a useful player in the future.
I never criticize someone's size. But if two players have the same skills except for size and I have to pick then I grab the larger of the two every time. In the NHL puck battles along the wall are key and you must be able to hit and be hit to win them. Giroux as you can tell is my favorite Flyer. But if you notice he has two wingers who have decent size who can win those battles. You are right on about another scoring winger and what it would mean for the team. How many teams were after this young man? There were a lot of teams after Matt Read and I was just curious as to how much interest there was concerning Kevin. Hey I hope it works out for us to but it sounds like he is at least a year away. Cheesesteaks and many of them. Good Luck and Congrats on the signing.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:43 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeye97 View Post
Your body would shutdown if you did that and you would have no energy. Also, you'd probably have a heart attack trying to burn those calories because men are suppose to consume around 2,000 calories a day.

Best way to burn fat is cut out saturated fat/crap, replace your intake with healthy/useful calories, don't over consume, exercise. Over time you will burn the fat off.
High protein diet tends to make you less hungry as well. For me a cup of dried split peas every few days keeps my appetite much lower.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:58 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

how to lose weight:

1. eat oatmeal in the morning with some fruit, youll be full for a while
2. take a huge **** because you eat oatmeal every day
3. have a salad, some almonds, fruit, yogurt, whatever in that category for lunch
4. feel like you want to kill yourself because youre so hungry (this lasts for around 30 min a day)
5. eat some chicken, stir fry, something healthy for dinner
6. keep some relatively healthy sweets around to take the edge off so you dont go off the deep end one day and eat 40 snickers

viola ur good

anyway yeah this kid needs to put on a little weight, he has a pretty good shot and may just become a faster matt read, which would be quite nice to have.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:13 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
if this guys signed an AHL-only deal, than he probably wasnt highly sought-after

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:49 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
How do I lose body fat?
Resistance training first and foremost because the best way to lose fat is to gain lean muscle, it will in turn burn fat. To make it clear, when I say resistance training I do not mean body building stuff aka you shouldn't be working on your glamor muscles but rather do compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, dips, bench press etc at a moderate weight. Cardio is really important as well obviously but how much cardio you do depends on where you're at in terms of body fat percentage (don't use BMI, it's so ****ing stupid). If you're heavy I would say start at 3x times a week for half an hour and work your way up, just jumping in when if you're heavy more often then not leads to the individual quitting. I would say work your way up to 5 times a week if you're serious about fitness but don't over do it. Anything over 45 min is counterproductive as your cortisol level will skyrocket. So without knowing you that is my very general advice for exercise.

Your diet is just as important if not more important. What works best truly is individual dependent. On a very basic scale, losing fat requires a caloric deficit. But that is so basic and if you try to do that you'll wreak havoc on you muscle mass. That is not the way to approach fat loss unless you are obese and need to lose a lot a weight for health reasons. So if you're obese the best way to achieve a caloric deficit is to severely limit the carbs and fats, you shouldn't limit protein. Of course too much protein and you'll get ketoacidosis of the blood but that's pretty extreme. If you're already fit and you want to cut I would suggest looking into intermittent fasting. If you're just a little chunky then you should lower your saturated fat intake (aka animal fats, plant fats -> monounsaturated and polyunsaturated are good) as well as your complex carb intake. By complex carbs I mean pastas, breads, anything with processed flour is really what you should be avoiding. I want to distinguish that from other complex carb foods which usually are high fiber foods like beans and brown rice which are great for you. Simple sugars, primarily found in fruits and vegetables, are good.

Moderation in diet is very important, even the good foods are bad if you eat too much of them. But people often go to extremes with these fad diets and they do more harm then good. Humans need all food groups to live a healthy life. You can't cut out fat because you need it for hormone synthesis which are crucial to everything, carbs are needed for ATP synthesis which is used for everything, protein is needed for anything that is comprised of amino acids (which pretty much everything). You might see a trend here. The only thing that no one should ever eat are trans fats. You can't use them so they just sit in storage, well not really but for simplicities sake lets just leave it at that.

One last thing, I wouldn't count calories if you aren't already at a low body fat percentage (~12 percent), I've noticed that people go overboard with it and are almost always misinformed on how many calories they should be eating. But don't be oblivious to your caloric intake either. Odds are you aren't going to be losing fat if your eating 4,000 kilo calories, just be aware of what you put in your body but you don't have to add it all up. You hear the number 2,000 thrown around a lot but honestly IMO that's not a very good estimation. Most grown men, if active, need more then 2,000 a day to be healthy. I personally eat somewhere around 3,000 a day but I move some big weights so I need it.

Wow, that took forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
As a side note, I'd kill to be fit. But my job, distance and so on doesn't help, even if I try to eat somewhat better.
I know what you mean but there is always going to be something that gets in your way. There is always a work around, you just need to put in the effort. If you can't afford a gym membership or are too far away from a gym then you should look into stuff you can do at home with just you body weight. You'd be surprised what you can do with just your body weight/things laying around the house or apartment.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 03-26-2014 at 04:55 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:50 PM
ClarkHislopCox

From Chris Peters, unitedstatesofhockey.com:

Quote:
"Kevin Goumas (UNH) — C – Signed by the Philadelphia Flyers organization on March 26 – I don’t usually include guys that sign AHL-only deals on this list, but I felt Goumas warranted further analysis as I think he could one day work his way into the NHL eventually. The four-year star at UNH has really come into his own over the last two seasons after steadily improving with each passing year. This year, as a senior, Goumas posted 52 points, which put him fifth in the country and was his career high. Last year, the Long Beach, N.Y., native had a strong junior campaign, had pro offers out there, but opted to go back to UNH and I think he was rewarded for it, even though the Wildcats missed out on the national tournament. Goumas finished his college career with 146 points in 146 games. He will join the Adirondack Phantoms for the remainder of the season on an amateur tryout agreement and signed an AHL-only deal for next year, but he has the potential to move up the ranks in an organization light on productive prospects. Goumas is small at 5-10, 160, but the reason I believe he could develop into an NHL player down the road is his smarts. A lot of his success in college the last two years was by using his skill and hockey sense to make the right play instead of the first play. He has shown good puck skills and has steadily improved his skating. Goumas also has some touch around the net. If he performs well on his AHL deal, he will still be young enough to fall under the entry-level system if Philly wants to sign him as he is 22 right now. This also means the Flyers aren’t using one of the 50 contracts they’re limited to and could push for more college UFAs. The Flyers are going low-risk with Goumas on this deal, even lower than spending a AHL contract, meaning this is a fantastic get for them. Here’s a nifty wraparound goal against Providence from this season:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF5Y19NAupA

ClarkHislopCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I know what you mean but there is always going to be something that gets in your way. There is always a work around, you just need to put in the effort. If you can't afford a gym membership or are too far away from a gym then you should look into stuff you can do at home with just you body weight. You'd be surprised what you can do with just your body weight/things laying around the house or apartment.
At least, I just wish to lose about 20 lbs in the next 4 or 5 months.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 136
Akeson?

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
At least, I just wish to lose about 20 lbs in the next 4 or 5 months.
That seems very doable but then again I don't know you so I can't say that with any degree of certainty. If trying to lose weight, as a man, you should be losing 1-2 lbs per week. More then that and you're either obese or you're going about the weight loss in an unhealthy way.

When you break it down per week like that I'm sure the task doesn't seem nearly as daunting.

You can do it bro, I have faith in you!

Post scriptum, if you follow the advice in my other post (that is limiting bad fats, bad carbs and do some moderate exercise) you might lose more then 1-2 lbs in the first week. That's normal and it's not actually fat, in all likely hood the increase in exercise will leave you slightly dehydrated and the cutting of the bad complex carbs combine with the exercise will cause you to use your glycogen storages. This is normal and if you maintain a healthy diet and exercise regiment then you'll replenish the glycogen.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 03-26-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old
03-26-2014, 05:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
That seems very doable but then again I don't know you so I can't say that with any degree of certainty. If trying to lose weight, as a man, you should be losing 1-2 lbs per week. More then that and you're either obese or you're going about the weight loss in an unhealthy way.

When you break it down per week like that I'm sure the task doesn't seem nearly as daunting.

You can do it bro, I have faith in you!
I know when the weather gets warmer I'll be outside more often to walk around.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

You guys should start an off topic thread with this health stuff.

I'm not saying that in a "get this random stuff out of this thread!" way. I'm saying that this is interesting stuff to read and it deserves to have it's own thread (especially after how much work you put into typing that) for if other people want to discuss it or have questions. I'm not trying to lose weight but I enjoyed reading that, and I'm sure other people did too.

Just a thought

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
You guys should start an off topic thread with this health stuff.

I'm not saying that in a "get this random stuff out of this thread!" way. I'm saying that this is interesting stuff to read and it deserves to have it's own thread (especially after how much work you put into typing that) for if other people want to discuss it or have questions. I'm not trying to lose weight but I enjoyed reading that, and I'm sure other people did too.

Just a thought
Thanks, if there's enough interest maybe I will.

Old
03-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
That is a fantastic write up on a wide range of health and exercise FlyersFan61290.

Listen to this man!

So many myths and bad habits being thrown around by a lot of people who claim to know better recently in regards to diets, calories, BMI, carbs, protein etc... and you do not stray close to any of them!

As someone who was 'uber-fit' for a good ~7-8 years and during that time kept in line health and fitness wise by several trainers who look after several British Olympians (I would still considered fit by most people, but I have not held myself to my own high standards in the last year or so) I hate overhearing most people (on busses etc) or even my own friends talk about health and fitness... even some who are quite healthy, as half of what they say or propagate is either useless spiel, bordering on cult diets/exercise regimes or counter productive.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:45 PM
tymed

Undrafted small players who need to improve their skating and who are moreso passers than shooters don't really excite me but I'll leave it up to him. Just from what I read on here anyways. But sounds like he has a high IQ, if he can add a little muscle and speed it makes him a lot more cut out for where he's trying to go.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Homer says Goumas has good speed and has some of the attributes possessed by Matt Read, but is "not as thick," body-wise.
Source: Sam Charchidi @BroadStBull

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:06 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
Akeson?
clone? maybe

Akeson is just being held back by his defensive awareness. I wouldnt be surprised if he's moved in the off-season as I doubt he has a future with the way this team is built

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He could technically but I doubt he would be a move.

IIRC the Flyers only have two call up options left now that they called up Heeter & McGinn.
I though Heeter was an emergency call-up. Doesn't that change things?

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I though Heeter was an emergency call-up. Doesn't that change things?
He stayed with the team for a while so I don't think it counts as an emergency. It wasn't like he was called-up in a pinch & then sent back down in a day or two later.

He likely will be promoted to the roster as a third goalie at some point anyway with the Phantoms not being in the playoffs this year.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Thanks, if there's enough interest maybe I will.
I agree...lots of good info there.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Psuhockey

It's really curios to team why they only gave him an AHL deal with all the contract space available next year.
http://www.capgeek.com/flyers/
The flyers have 16 players signed for next year, with 14 more on the phantoms. Samuel morin is signed but is either on the flyers or his contract will slide with another junior year. There are 11 rfas. Even if all are qualified, and with names like Hostetter, Eddy, and brown is there I doubt it, that brings the total to 41 without Morin.

The flyers have 10 forwards signed, 4 dmen (minus Pronger) and 1 goalie. So 3 forwards, 3 defenseman and a backup goalie need to be on the team. Not all of them will be ufas as some of the rfas or phantoms will fill those roles. Anyway, point being is the flyers have a bunch of contracts to give out (as many as 7 just to get to this years number of 48) and I am wondering if that means more undrafted free agents from college and overseas since they are saving a spot by not signing Goumas to an NHl contract.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote