HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

vCash: 500
USA Hockey obviously valued resume and big game experience.

Bishop has none. It really is as simple as that.

They aren't going to give him big game experience at the Olympics.

Old
04-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Beerz

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 3m

Both George McPhee and Adam Oates out in Washington, Capitals announce.

Old
04-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 50
Darcy's new job?

Old
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM
sabres4ever
We got Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Darcy's new job?
It wouldn't surprise me.

Old
04-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Bosswally

I hope Teddy will consider Oates for an assistant coaching position, Oates is a terrible head coach but he works wonders for special teams

Old
04-26-2014, 10:46 AM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Botterill would be a great fit. If they go the retread route, Darcy, Jim Rutherford, Feaster, Gillis would all be viable names.

Old
04-26-2014, 10:54 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I'll give the Sabres this: Early November is the perfect time to fire your GM if you want to do a good search.

Caps are gonna have to get someone in ASAP if they want them to be ready for the draft.

Old
04-26-2014, 11:04 AM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosswally View Post
I hope Teddy will consider Oates for an assistant coaching position, Oates is a terrible head coach but he works wonders for special teams
Don't let Oates near this team please, thanks

Old
04-26-2014, 01:48 PM
wayfaringstranger

Silver lining of the firing of McPhee and Oates is that the Caps should be more competitive next year and fighting for a playoff spot. With the Rangers, Flyer and Blue Jackets making it in this year, and the Devils and Caps just missing the playoffs, it is going to be extremely difficult for the Isles to make the playoffs in the division. I know this has been brought up before, but the Canes and Isles could be fighting it out for division cellar dwellars again next year.

Old
04-26-2014, 01:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringstranger View Post
Silver lining of the firing of McPhee and Oates is that the Caps should be more competitive next year and fighting for a playoff spot. With the Rangers, Flyer and Blue Jackets making it in this year, and the Devils and Caps just missing the playoffs, it is going to be extremely difficult for the Isles to make the playoffs in the division. I know this has been brought up before, but the Canes and Isles could be fighting it out for division cellar dwellars again next year.

Or a new GM takes the team in a new direction and decides to rebuild the roster. It would certainly be a logical move with the lack of success from the Caps' current core group.

EDIT: To add to this point, they've already gone through 4 coaches with this group (Hanlon, Budreau, Hunter and Oates). Something has to give on the roster side IMO.

Last edited by joshjull; 04-26-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Old
04-26-2014, 02:22 PM
wayfaringstranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Or a new GM takes the team in a new direction and decides to rebuild the roster. It would certainly be a logical move with the lack of success from the Caps' current core group.

EDIT: To add to this point, they've already gone through 4 coaches with this group (Hanlon, Budreau, Hunter and Oates). Something has to give on the roster side IMO.
They do have a lot of talent on the roster, and pieces that could garner large returns. The four coaches with the current group is a great point, but maybe the firing of the GM is their big off season shake up. Can you rebuild the Caps with Ovechkins contact, or is this going to be a retool?

Old
04-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
You can't win built around a one dimensional winger.

Old
04-26-2014, 03:32 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
If you can't build a team around a guy who might be the best natural goal scorer in league history, you're bad at your job.

McPhee did a ****-poor job putting the Caps' roster together. He should have been fired years ago.

Old
04-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
I still would almost guarantee he doesn't get traded.

Old
04-26-2014, 04:09 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
yeah, the Caps would be crazy to trade him. It'd be crazier than the Leafs trading Kessel, which also won't happen, despite not being the best defensively. -Someone- has to score goals. Not everyone can be the Bruins (cause how could they fix games then ) and be chock full of two-way players that contribute offensively equally.

Old
04-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Backstrom isn't terrible defensively, and if you stick another defensively-responsible winger that is willing to get into the dirty areas, you can nullify 8's allergy to defense.

Beyond that, what they really need to do is re-tool that defense a bit. Green is the defensive equivalent to Ovie. Carlson/Alzner/Orlov aren't a bad start, but they could use 2 more top 4 guys.

You can't build around Ovie per se, but you can win with him if you build the team right -- Washington needs some build work.

Old
04-26-2014, 04:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringstranger View Post
They do have a lot of talent on the roster, and pieces that could garner large returns. The four coaches with the current group is a great point, but maybe the firing of the GM is their big off season shake up. Can you rebuild the Caps with Ovechkins contact, or is this going to be a retool?
Its not ending there. The new GM will need to hire a new coach, evaluate the roster and decide what he wants to do with it. His options are anywhere from small tweaks to tearing it down.

Old
04-26-2014, 04:58 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Backstrom isn't terrible defensively, and if you stick another defensively-responsible winger that is willing to get into the dirty areas, you can nullify 8's allergy to defense.

Beyond that, what they really need to do is re-tool that defense a bit. Green is the defensive equivalent to Ovie. Carlson/Alzner/Orlov aren't a bad start, but they could use 2 more top 4 guys.

You can't build around Ovie per se, but you can win with him if you build the team right -- Washington needs some build work.
I think you can. He has generally been a monster in the playoffs (58gms 31g 30a 61pts). They need to build a strong defense and have a focus on two way players throughout the roster. Ovy will produce offense no matter who he is with.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:00 PM
ZeroPT*

I'd love to get Oates to coach the Amerks

Old
04-26-2014, 05:03 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I'd love to get Oates to coach the Amerks
i too want a complete trainwreck of a coach overseeing the development of our future core players

Old
04-26-2014, 05:13 PM
ZeroPT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
i too want a complete trainwreck of a coach overseeing the development of our future core players
Hilarious.

Oates would be a great developemental coach. That's the reason he was fired. He cared more about progression than actually competing. It's prett clear by some of the decisions he made.

Being a bad NHL coach =/= being a bad AHL coach.

Old
04-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

http://instagram.com/p/nRESkMgnYn/

This cracked me up

Old
04-26-2014, 05:41 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Hilarious.

Oates would be a great developemental coach. That's the reason he was fired. He cared more about progression than actually competing. It's prett clear by some of the decisions he made.

Being a bad NHL coach =/= being a bad AHL coach.
I suppose "progression" is just another way to look at "tailspinning" when you really think about it.

He shattered his goaltenders' confidence and made absolutely ridiculous roster decisions. He was Bad with a capital B and I question the sanity of anyone that wants him near this organization

Old
04-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He wont and I do believe they can win with him as their main piece it's just harder than with other types of players. I'd say that Mike Green and MoJo are as good as gone and one of Brouwer/Laich as well. They need an elite defensive forward for their 2nd line. Brouwer and Laich seem to show up when they want to and that's a big problem with the team.

I'd take Erskine off their hands for a crappy pick rather than re-signing John Scott any day.

Also Oates may have flopped as a head coach but there has been many terrible head coaches who made great assistants.

Old
04-26-2014, 07:34 PM
ZeroPT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
I suppose "progression" is just another way to look at "tailspinning" when you really think about it.

He shattered his goaltenders' confidence and made absolutely ridiculous roster decisions. He was Bad with a capital B and I question the sanity of anyone that wants him near this organization
progression and tail spinning are complete opposites. He fixed Ovechkin and revitalized Green last year, he knows how to get the best out of offensive players, and what he could do with Grigorenko and Armia is drool worthy. That in itself is massive.
The only person who's sanity should be questioned is yours. Simply re-buffing everything related to him and bashing other people's opinions because they aren't in line with yours.

Oates could do wonders with the Amerks

Closed Thread