HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2014, 08:15 AM
  #376
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,561
vCash: 500
USA Hockey obviously valued resume and big game experience.

Bishop has none. It really is as simple as that.

They aren't going to give him big game experience at the Olympics.

Jim Bob is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:39 AM
  #377
Beerz
Registered User
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 24,205
vCash: 500
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 3m

Both George McPhee and Adam Oates out in Washington, Capitals announce.

Beerz is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:41 AM
  #378
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 50
Darcy's new job?

Duddy is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM
  #379
sabres4ever
We got Jack!
 
sabres4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Darcy's new job?
It wouldn't surprise me.

sabres4ever is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 10:43 AM
  #380
Bosswally
Registered User
 
Bosswally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
I hope Teddy will consider Oates for an assistant coaching position, Oates is a terrible head coach but he works wonders for special teams

Bosswally is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 10:46 AM
  #381
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!
 
SundherDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis,MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,635
vCash: 500
Botterill would be a great fit. If they go the retread route, Darcy, Jim Rutherford, Feaster, Gillis would all be viable names.

SundherDome is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 10:54 AM
  #382
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,066
vCash: 500
I'll give the Sabres this: Early November is the perfect time to fire your GM if you want to do a good search.

Caps are gonna have to get someone in ASAP if they want them to be ready for the draft.

haseoke39 is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 11:04 AM
  #383
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosswally View Post
I hope Teddy will consider Oates for an assistant coaching position, Oates is a terrible head coach but he works wonders for special teams
Don't let Oates near this team please, thanks

boots electric is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 01:48 PM
  #384
wayfaringstranger
Registered User
 
wayfaringstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Silver lining of the firing of McPhee and Oates is that the Caps should be more competitive next year and fighting for a playoff spot. With the Rangers, Flyer and Blue Jackets making it in this year, and the Devils and Caps just missing the playoffs, it is going to be extremely difficult for the Isles to make the playoffs in the division. I know this has been brought up before, but the Canes and Isles could be fighting it out for division cellar dwellars again next year.

wayfaringstranger is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 01:49 PM
  #385
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 45,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringstranger View Post
Silver lining of the firing of McPhee and Oates is that the Caps should be more competitive next year and fighting for a playoff spot. With the Rangers, Flyer and Blue Jackets making it in this year, and the Devils and Caps just missing the playoffs, it is going to be extremely difficult for the Isles to make the playoffs in the division. I know this has been brought up before, but the Canes and Isles could be fighting it out for division cellar dwellars again next year.

Or a new GM takes the team in a new direction and decides to rebuild the roster. It would certainly be a logical move with the lack of success from the Caps' current core group.

EDIT: To add to this point, they've already gone through 4 coaches with this group (Hanlon, Budreau, Hunter and Oates). Something has to give on the roster side IMO.


Last edited by joshjull; 04-26-2014 at 02:00 PM..
joshjull is online now  
Old
04-26-2014, 02:22 PM
  #386
wayfaringstranger
Registered User
 
wayfaringstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Or a new GM takes the team in a new direction and decides to rebuild the roster. It would certainly be a logical move with the lack of success from the Caps' current core group.

EDIT: To add to this point, they've already gone through 4 coaches with this group (Hanlon, Budreau, Hunter and Oates). Something has to give on the roster side IMO.
They do have a lot of talent on the roster, and pieces that could garner large returns. The four coaches with the current group is a great point, but maybe the firing of the GM is their big off season shake up. Can you rebuild the Caps with Ovechkins contact, or is this going to be a retool?

wayfaringstranger is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 03:05 PM
  #387
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 16,980
vCash: 67
You can't win built around a one dimensional winger.

Moskau is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 03:32 PM
  #388
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
You can't win built around a one dimensional winger.
If you can't build a team around a guy who might be the best natural goal scorer in league history, you're bad at your job.

McPhee did a ****-poor job putting the Caps' roster together. He should have been fired years ago.

boots electric is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 03:51 PM
  #389
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Laurel, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
You can't win built around a one dimensional winger.
I still would almost guarantee he doesn't get traded.

Paxon is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 04:09 PM
  #390
omglolnub
Registered User
 
omglolnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I still would almost guarantee he doesn't get traded.
yeah, the Caps would be crazy to trade him. It'd be crazier than the Leafs trading Kessel, which also won't happen, despite not being the best defensively. -Someone- has to score goals. Not everyone can be the Bruins (cause how could they fix games then ) and be chock full of two-way players that contribute offensively equally.

omglolnub is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 04:35 PM
  #391
Zman5778
Moderator
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,553
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
You can't win built around a one dimensional winger.
Backstrom isn't terrible defensively, and if you stick another defensively-responsible winger that is willing to get into the dirty areas, you can nullify 8's allergy to defense.

Beyond that, what they really need to do is re-tool that defense a bit. Green is the defensive equivalent to Ovie. Carlson/Alzner/Orlov aren't a bad start, but they could use 2 more top 4 guys.

You can't build around Ovie per se, but you can win with him if you build the team right -- Washington needs some build work.

Zman5778 is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 04:51 PM
  #392
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 45,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringstranger View Post
They do have a lot of talent on the roster, and pieces that could garner large returns. The four coaches with the current group is a great point, but maybe the firing of the GM is their big off season shake up. Can you rebuild the Caps with Ovechkins contact, or is this going to be a retool?
Its not ending there. The new GM will need to hire a new coach, evaluate the roster and decide what he wants to do with it. His options are anywhere from small tweaks to tearing it down.

joshjull is online now  
Old
04-26-2014, 04:58 PM
  #393
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 45,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Backstrom isn't terrible defensively, and if you stick another defensively-responsible winger that is willing to get into the dirty areas, you can nullify 8's allergy to defense.

Beyond that, what they really need to do is re-tool that defense a bit. Green is the defensive equivalent to Ovie. Carlson/Alzner/Orlov aren't a bad start, but they could use 2 more top 4 guys.

You can't build around Ovie per se, but you can win with him if you build the team right -- Washington needs some build work.
I think you can. He has generally been a monster in the playoffs (58gms 31g 30a 61pts). They need to build a strong defense and have a focus on two way players throughout the roster. Ovy will produce offense no matter who he is with.

joshjull is online now  
Old
04-26-2014, 05:00 PM
  #394
ZeroPT*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,473
vCash: 50
I'd love to get Oates to coach the Amerks

ZeroPT* is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 05:03 PM
  #395
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I'd love to get Oates to coach the Amerks
i too want a complete trainwreck of a coach overseeing the development of our future core players

boots electric is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 05:13 PM
  #396
ZeroPT*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,473
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
i too want a complete trainwreck of a coach overseeing the development of our future core players
Hilarious.

Oates would be a great developemental coach. That's the reason he was fired. He cared more about progression than actually competing. It's prett clear by some of the decisions he made.

Being a bad NHL coach =/= being a bad AHL coach.

ZeroPT* is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 05:13 PM
  #397
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,561
vCash: 500
http://instagram.com/p/nRESkMgnYn/

This cracked me up

Jim Bob is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 05:41 PM
  #398
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Hilarious.

Oates would be a great developemental coach. That's the reason he was fired. He cared more about progression than actually competing. It's prett clear by some of the decisions he made.

Being a bad NHL coach =/= being a bad AHL coach.
I suppose "progression" is just another way to look at "tailspinning" when you really think about it.

He shattered his goaltenders' confidence and made absolutely ridiculous roster decisions. He was Bad with a capital B and I question the sanity of anyone that wants him near this organization

boots electric is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 05:59 PM
  #399
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 16,980
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I still would almost guarantee he doesn't get traded.
He wont and I do believe they can win with him as their main piece it's just harder than with other types of players. I'd say that Mike Green and MoJo are as good as gone and one of Brouwer/Laich as well. They need an elite defensive forward for their 2nd line. Brouwer and Laich seem to show up when they want to and that's a big problem with the team.

I'd take Erskine off their hands for a crappy pick rather than re-signing John Scott any day.

Also Oates may have flopped as a head coach but there has been many terrible head coaches who made great assistants.

Moskau is offline  
Old
04-26-2014, 07:34 PM
  #400
ZeroPT*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,473
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
I suppose "progression" is just another way to look at "tailspinning" when you really think about it.

He shattered his goaltenders' confidence and made absolutely ridiculous roster decisions. He was Bad with a capital B and I question the sanity of anyone that wants him near this organization
progression and tail spinning are complete opposites. He fixed Ovechkin and revitalized Green last year, he knows how to get the best out of offensive players, and what he could do with Grigorenko and Armia is drool worthy. That in itself is massive.
The only person who's sanity should be questioned is yours. Simply re-buffing everything related to him and bashing other people's opinions because they aren't in line with yours.

Oates could do wonders with the Amerks

ZeroPT* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.