HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2014, 01:35 AM
boots electric

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
progression and tail spinning are complete opposites. He fixed Ovechkin and revitalized Green last year, he knows how to get the best out of offensive players, and what he could do with Grigorenko and Armia is drool worthy. That in itself is massive.
The only person who's sanity should be questioned is yours. Simply re-buffing everything related to him and bashing other people's opinions because they aren't in line with yours.

Oates could do wonders with the Amerks
You want to hire a guy that flamed out spectacularly in Washington. A guy that saw his skaters, goaltenders, and assistant coaches speak out against him for his micromanaging that made the team demonstrably worse in every single area except the powerplay. A guy that thought the answer to the team's 5on5 woes was to have Jay Beagle center Alex Ovechkin.

Oates might be a decent enough assistant coach somewhere someday, but someone else can take a chance on him.

Old
04-27-2014, 04:51 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
You want to hire a guy that flamed out spectacularly in Washington. A guy that saw his skaters, goaltenders, and assistant coaches speak out against him for his micromanaging that made the team demonstrably worse in every single area except the powerplay. A guy that thought the answer to the team's 5on5 woes was to have Jay Beagle center Alex Ovechkin.

Oates might be a decent enough assistant coach somewhere someday, but someone else can take a chance on him.
Did Oates really "flame out spectacularly" though? I mean, Washington finished a whole three points out of a playoff spot. Granted, they had a rather ridiculous 10 shootout wins, but if anything I would lay their team's shortcomings (which certainly were prevalent) at the feet of McPhee for putting together, quite frankly, a pretty awfully constructed team. Even if Oates is a limited coach it seems pretty unreasonable to blame him for all of Washington's shortcomings. I mean, seriously, look at that group of defensemen.

Old
04-27-2014, 06:22 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Oates' pitch to McPhee when he was hired:

- improve the PP
- improve AO
- improve team effectiveness

While the third one is questionable, the PP has been top three the last three years I think, and AO won a Hart and despite a questionable 200ft season, scored 51g this year

I don't think it's the coach, personally. McPhee had to go. Oates is no Bowman reincarnated, but I don't think he flamed out.

Old
04-27-2014, 08:19 AM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:

how exactly did he flame out spectacularly?

I want to hire a guy for an AHL team that will aid progress the only decent offensive threats in our system. He has a record of developing offensive players and tapping into players unknown potential.

That's who i want to hire.

Old
04-27-2014, 09:59 AM
KLas211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Backstrom isn't terrible defensively, and if you stick another defensively-responsible winger that is willing to get into the dirty areas, you can nullify 8's allergy to defense.

Beyond that, what they really need to do is re-tool that defense a bit. Green is the defensive equivalent to Ovie. Carlson/Alzner/Orlov aren't a bad start, but they could use 2 more top 4 guys.

You can't build around Ovie per se, but you can win with him if you build the team right -- Washington needs some build work.
I'd agree that a team could win with Ovie as a big piece, but that team isn't Washington. I don't think Ovie can be "The Guy," and this is why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
You can't win built around a one dimensional winger.
Have one-dimensional players ever been a part of a successful team? Yes, of course. But have they ever been "The Guy?" I can't think of any. When you criticize Ovie of not playing 200 ft, his defenders will come in saying, "Hey that's not what he gets paid for. He needs to score goals." Hell, even HE says that:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10...middle-nowhere

Quote:
Ovechkin, Washington's captain, led the NHL with 51 goals but also had a minus-35 rating, among the league's worst, and Oates said that's an aspect of the three-time MVP's game that needs to improve.

"I talked to him and it's one of the things that we have to address for sure," the coach said. "It's obviously counterproductive."

Said Ovechkin: "I get paid to score goals. I scored 50."
How can anyone reasonably expect the rest of the players on the roster to commit to team-oriented play, if their star player, their captain, "The Guy" won't do the same?

Imagine that happening at your place of employment. You go in tomorrow, your co-worker, who gets paid way more than you and has a much cushier job comes in and the boss tells him to do something that isn't normally his responsibility, and he doesn't. You ask him why, and he shrugs, "It's not my job. I don't get paid for that."

Later that day, your boss comes to you, sees that whatever needed to be done wasn't, and tells you to do it. How do you feel? Probably resentful and/or negligent. Is that what you want your on-ice team leader to make his teammates feel? No. Again, if he wasn't "The Guy," you could potentially find a way to get around it. We all have that co-worker who doesn't always pull their weight, but they're tolerated anyway. But you can't put that guy up as your leader. And you can't strip him of the C. He'd care even less about team-play than he already does.

That's why I think whoever the new GM is should trade him immediately. But I don't think it will happen.

Old
04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Did Oates really "flame out spectacularly" though? I mean, Washington finished a whole three points out of a playoff spot. Granted, they had a rather ridiculous 10 shootout wins, but if anything I would lay their team's shortcomings (which certainly were prevalent) at the feet of McPhee for putting together, quite frankly, a pretty awfully constructed team. Even if Oates is a limited coach it seems pretty unreasonable to blame him for all of Washington's shortcomings. I mean, seriously, look at that group of defensemen.
Oates isn't the only culprit; McPhee is a legit bad GM as well. But Oates did a number of things that can be tied directly into the team underperforming. See the goaltending situation for starters

Old
04-27-2014, 11:59 AM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Oates isn't the only culprit; McPhee is a legit bad GM as well. But Oates did a number of things that can be tied directly into the team underperforming. See the goaltending situation for starters
you keep saying he's done many things wrong yet your only example is that of the Goalies.

Sure he made mistakes but coaching is not the reason the Caps have failed

Old
04-27-2014, 12:23 PM
boots electric

Adam Oates is so good that he got fired and his team got worse each year he was employed. He wasn't part of the problem with the team; in fact, he was really good. So good that he got fired. Fired for being a good coach.

It's a tough league

Old
04-27-2014, 12:33 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

I can't speak for the players who did exit interviews with TL but GMGM didn't help at all and Washington seemed to step up their offensive game under Oates.

Old
04-27-2014, 01:06 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
you keep saying he's done many things wrong yet your only example is that of the Goalies.

Sure he made mistakes but coaching is not the reason the Caps have failed
Read this.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...-but-cmon-yes/

Old
04-27-2014, 01:23 PM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
That was an interesting read. Thank you for the post.

Old
04-28-2014, 09:42 AM
JPurp26

Brad Treliving named new GM in Calgary. Also Carolina's press conference is today to announce Ron Francis as new GM in Carolina.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Brad Treliving named new GM in Calgary. Also Carolina's press conference is today to announce Ron Francis as new GM in Carolina.
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2h
PHX asst GM Brad Treliving has been hired as GM of the Calgary Flames.
I wonder if he is one of the guys the Sabres were interested in, but didn't want to wait for?

Old
04-28-2014, 02:45 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

If Boudreau had been kept in Washington they'd probably have a cup by now.

Old
04-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Sabre the Win
McDavid or Eichel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Treliving is who I wanted in Buffalo.

Old
04-28-2014, 07:36 PM
TossinSauce

Malkin with the hatty right after the threads doubting him. That's a star.

Old
04-29-2014, 11:56 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-to-get-vanek/

Quote:
Columnist Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press said Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold will be there waiting for Vanek on July 1 and they won’t be shy about going all-in for him.

“This summer, look for Leipold, the Wild owner, to spend whatever it takes — probably another $40 million or so — to add free agent Thomas Vanek to the roster.”

Old
04-29-2014, 12:05 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
Maybe they should perhaps think about a goaltender...

Old
04-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinking bleach irl View Post
If Boudreau had been kept in Washington they'd probably have a cup by now.
I don't think so. The ship had sailed on Boudreau. His team had quit on him. You don't come back from that.

Old
04-29-2014, 12:29 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Ryan Miller is a free agent...

ACQUIRE ALL TEH EX-SABRES!

Old
04-29-2014, 01:04 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Have you watched the series at all? Darcy Kuemper is a beast. I think they found there goalie.

Old
04-29-2014, 01:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank For Reinhart View Post
Have you watched the series at all? Darcy Kuemper is a beast. I think they found there goalie.
Kuemper is likely their future. I do think they could use a Hedberg-type behind him--Kuemper did show inconsistency down the stretch. It's such a shame that Josh Harding's condition makes him an unreliable option. Was really pulling for Harding.

Old
04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Watching the Treliving press conference from yesterday. Burke said Treliving was the only candidate he interviewed. Guess it was just a matter of waiting until the season was over.

Old
04-29-2014, 04:38 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Sabres Captain View Post
Kuemper is likely their future. I do think they could use a Hedberg-type behind him--Kuemper did show inconsistency down the stretch. It's such a shame that Josh Harding's condition makes him an unreliable option. Was really pulling for Harding.
I agree with Kuemper being the future. Need a solid backup though, perhaps they keep Backstrom around.

Old
04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
I agree with Kuemper being the future. Need a solid backup though, perhaps they keep Backstrom around.
Backstrom was atrocious this year. Of course, he should be better when healthy but do you want to take a chance on that? They're better off signing another veteran imo. Not Miller, but someone from the next tier of free agents.

Closed Thread