HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pascale Dupuis getting shafted

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 12:42 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Pascale Dupuis getting shafted

Anyone hear what is going on in Minnesota?

Dupuis, their #2 scorer made $350k last season. The Wild are offering him either 1 year at $385k, or a 4 year deal worth $750k per season.

I am all for owners and GM's not giving in, but this is a little nuts.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

Dupuis, their #2 scorer made $350k last season. The Wild are offering him either 1 year at $385k, or a 4 year deal worth $750k per season.

If that's the case he should go over to Europe, make $1M tax free. He would have to clear waivers to return this season, and definately wouldn't. But for him it might be a feasible alternative to making a third of the money to get stymied by Lemaire and shafted by Risebrough.

He is, at worst, worth 850K per season. Likely more considering his role in Minnesota.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:53 PM
creative giant*

a 20 goal scorer offered less than a million a season? Could this be the turn of the tide in the nhl?

Old
10-02-2003, 12:59 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:

Looks like Minny believes in their system *cough*, where talent is superfluous.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:20 PM
ceber

You guys are more than welcome to give him the 1.25/year he's asking for, in my opinion. Just sign him; wouldn't have to give up too much in draft pick compensation.

He definitely had a good season last year, big improvement over the year before, but I don't think he's getting the shaft just yet. 3+million over 4 years with negotiable incentives seems like a pretty decent offer for a guy in Dupuis' situation, dontcha think? Nice guaranteed raises every year, above the required, regardless of performance.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:38 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
You guys are more than welcome to give him the 1.25/year he's asking for, in my opinion. Just sign him; wouldn't have to give up too much in draft pick compensation.

He definitely had a good season last year, big improvement over the year before, but I don't think he's getting the shaft just yet. 3+million over 4 years with negotiable incentives seems like a pretty decent offer for a guy in Dupuis' situation, dontcha think? Nice guaranteed raises every year, above the required, regardless of performance.
Well seeing as they are asking him to give up arbitration rights, as well as having him in 4 years make less than half the league average, I would assume something more.

It isn't even his asking price... it is the Wild only willing to accept 2 offers... $385k over 1 year, or $750k over 4.

I can almost guarantee he would take a 1 year deal worth $500k... but that isn't even an option for him. You can't expect a young guy like him to sign a 4 year deal like that, especially with what he has the ability to make through things like arbitration.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:40 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
He isn't going to make just 500,000 dollars. While I agree that he should get around what a rookie makes, I think it's this: the incentives. I mean he could end up making over 5-6 million with the right incentives.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
any reports out there that Minny's offer is loaded with bonuses?

Old
10-02-2003, 02:01 PM
ceber

Last report was that they weren't going to move on the 4 year deal base price, but that they'd negotiate on incentives with that deal. He wants 1.25 or 1.4 or something for a 1 year deal. Don't know why anyone thinks he'd settle for 500k. That 385k number was the 10%-retain-his-rights deal, it's not a new offer or anything like that.

Walsh is playing hardball, he's expecting the team to be worried about not having Dupuis. The team is playing hardball back, it's just standard negotiation crap. I'm sure once they start negotiating you'll see a better deal for Dupuis, but IMO anything over a million for this season is too much. He had good numbers last year, but he's an RFA with no arbitration rights.. paying more than you need to is bad business, and the management and players just love to remind us fans that it's a business... (IMO, it's more like a limited monopoly, like the local phone company.. there ought to be some standard-of-service expectations involved so we (fans) don't get hosed, but no such luck)

Old
10-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Last report was that they weren't going to move on the 4 year deal base price, but that they'd negotiate on incentives with that deal. He wants 1.25 or 1.4 or something for a 1 year deal. Don't know why anyone thinks he'd settle for 500k. That 385k number was the 10%-retain-his-rights deal, it's not a new offer or anything like that.

Walsh is playing hardball, he's expecting the team to be worried about not having Dupuis. The team is playing hardball back, it's just standard negotiation crap. I'm sure once they start negotiating you'll see a better deal for Dupuis, but IMO anything over a million for this season is too much. He had good numbers last year, but he's an RFA with no arbitration rights.. paying more than you need to is bad business, and the management and players just love to remind us fans that it's a business... (IMO, it's more like a limited monopoly, like the local phone company.. there ought to be some standard-of-service expectations involved so we (fans) don't get hosed, but no such luck)
thanks ceber sounds a lot like the comrie situation here

Old
10-02-2003, 02:09 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
thanks ceber sounds a lot like the comrie situation here
Well, I could be wrong, too... maybe the team is really going to leave him out in the cold. Seems odd though.. he was progressing nicely, and we should have enough money... unless we have to give it all to Gaborik...

Too bad there aren't more guys like Smyth, huh? (Or do I have the wrong guy? Didn't he have a nice contract negotiation not too long ago? Nice as in the team made a relatively fair offer and he said something like "ok that's pretty fair, I just want to play hockey here.")

Old
10-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Yanner39

Quote:

I get what your saying but to be honest, I had not heard of Dupuis before last season...He had a good year but I think all owners should be like this, especially with young players...That 20 goal season does not make a career...Let's see him do it again...I mean, how do we know it's not a fluke...Alexandre Daigle scored 20 goals in his first season in Ottawa...

If salaries are going to increase, let it be gradually....The more they give Dupuis now, the more the qualifying offer will have to be when this contract is up...

Players have been overpaid for too long...

Old
10-02-2003, 04:24 PM
dawgbone

Quote:

It was what I had read in the paper the other day... Minnesota made 2 offers one was a 1 year qualifyer, the other was a 4 year deal worth $750k per season, then basically said pick one, because you aren't getting another offer.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Too bad there aren't more guys like Smyth, huh? (Or do I have the wrong guy? Didn't he have a nice contract negotiation not too long ago? Nice as in the team made a relatively fair offer and he said something like "ok that's pretty fair, I just want to play hockey here.")
Salo several years ago, Smyth, and Moreau this year. J. Smith is to be commended too, I think, for basically admitting he doesn't deserve a raise (ie, by accepting his offer at the same salary as last year).

Closed Thread