HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #73|Fri., Mar. 28, 2014| Maple Leafs at Flyers| 7:00 p.m. ET ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2014, 12:29 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Oh god. I'm expecting the McGinn-Schenn-Simmonds line to be pinned in their zone the entire game.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Oh god. I'm expecting the McGinn-Schenn-Simmonds line to be pinned in their zone the entire game.
That second line was pinned because of Vinny. His defense has been extremely poor this year. Schenn is actually okay at defense, he just can't carry all three forward spots and win. Simmonds is nothing special in the defensive zone.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
That second line was pinned because of Vinny. His defense has been extremely poor this year. Schenn is actually okay at defense, he just can't carry all three forward spots and win. Simmonds is nothing special in the defensive zone.
Schenn gives up on way to many plays, and he always has the puck roll off his stick to.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
2nd line + Grossmann = actual physical pain from watching

Old
03-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Danko View Post
Schenn gives up on way to many plays, and he always has the puck roll off his stick to.
I don't really see Schenn giving up on plays. That seems like a perception thing, and I don't see it. I have seen on occasion he will do what Giroux does and push Simmonds in the butt with the stick because he can't get back into the play in time. Schenn's go has never been questioned before, he has always been a hard worker dating back to juniors.

Schenn's biggest problem is his consistency, which is always young players problems. It's easy to forget he is only 22.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
I don't really see Schenn giving up on plays. That seems like a perception thing, and I don't see it. I have seen on occasion he will do what Giroux does and push Simmonds in the butt with the stick because he can't get back into the play in time. Schenn's go has never been questioned before, he has always been a hard worker dating back to juniors.
Yeah I don't see him giving up... he's not a lazy player... he works hard all game.

Old
03-28-2014, 01:16 PM
dats81

The biggest issue regarding the second line is that there is no possession player on it. They are all just chasing the puck down the ice and hope for Simmonds to provide the screen to pot in the garbage goal. They are checking well along the boards but seem to handle the puck like a hot potato...

Last edited by dats81: 03-28-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old
03-28-2014, 01:32 PM
DrHamburg

This was the only move to make (Vinny to the 4th line) Ive been saying it for months he should be on the 4th line and play on the 2nd pp unit. He has brought down every line he has been on. There is nothing to suggest (stats, advanced stats, eye test, etc.) that he is a top 9 forward. I suspect he is traded in the offseason.

Old
03-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

I say switch Voracek and Simmonds. Stops Giroux and Voracek from passing constantly and puts a possession player on the 2nd line.

Old
03-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Lecavalier made no sense for the lineup when he was signed which is why I was against it then mostly. Now he sucks at everything except some decent goal-scoring ability. So now it looks like he has no place in the lineup logistically and he's going to drag down his line most nights just because of his inability to excel at anything besides finishing.

No matter where you put him eventually it's going to look bad so just love with it I guess.

Old
03-28-2014, 01:51 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Danko View Post
He looks like a little boy among men. He gets knocked down or off the puck way too easily.

God, I hate Brayden Schenn.

Old
03-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Lecavalier made no sense for the lineup when he was signed which is why I was against it then mostly.
At the time of his signing though, it seemed like the Flyers were looking to put Schenn at the wing and have Vinny play his customary position of center. But as it turned out, Schenn's better at center and Vinny can't play left wing. So, here we are.

Old
03-28-2014, 02:35 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Putting Vinny on the 4th line is a good move. Hopefully this means Vinny will want to be traded this summer and will waive his NMC. McGinn isn't going to solve all their problems but at least he has some spead to get up the ice. The biggest problem with the second line is that whether Vinny or Schenn play center, there isn't anyone who is good at passing or possessing the puck.

I think Schenn could still be successful on the wing. He really just needs a player on his line who can pass the puck. If he ever did make the move to wing it should be with Giroux or Couturier. I could see a Read-Couturier-Schenn line having a lot of success and it would allow Schenn to play either wing.

Old
03-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Insulin

I know Vinny has struggled but I'd rather have him get moved to 2C instead of the 4th. They never committed to trying Schenn at wing, they gave up too quickly. It might hurt now and we're not in a very good spot if it backfires, but I think it can work out and in the long run be what's best.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong or something, it makes too much sense to me and I can't be right.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Vinny-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Hall-Rinaldo

Last edited by Insulin: 03-28-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old
03-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulin View Post
I know Vinny has struggled but I'd rather have him get moved to 2C instead of the 4th. They never committed to trying Schenn at wing, they gave up too quickly. It might hurt now and we're not in a very good spot if it backfires, but I think it can work out and in the long run be what's best.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong or something, it makes too much sense to me and I can't be right.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Vinny-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Hall-Talbot
Wrong.

Old
03-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

It's not that Schenn is lazy, it's that his anticipation is crap and he's chasing the puck a lot. The fact that he's decent defensively is a testament to how hard he works, I think.

Vinny on the 4th line is...something. But if it's 4th line vs 4th line I take that, especially considering how many shots Toronto gives up. Not that Vinny can hit anything lately, though, so never mind.

03-28-2014, 03:42 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Vinny-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Hall-Talbot
If Vinny moves back to center I would also try

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Schenn

Old
03-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Teezax

We should have won both games against Toronto this year, losing 3 would be a joke. Time to end their misery tonight!

Old
03-28-2014, 04:21 PM
MadFerIt95*
Im Just Gonna Jake

Fun Fact: The Flyers have not played on a Friday since November 29th vs the Jets

Old
03-28-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
He looks like a little boy among men. He gets knocked down or off the puck way too easily.

Yep. I'm there too.

Old
03-28-2014, 04:46 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Yep. I'm there too.
Except for when he's running people over on a regular basis. Schenn isn't a puck possession player, so it's not surprising that it's not a strength.

Last edited by flyershockey: 03-28-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old
03-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Yep. I'm there too.
I don't hate B. Schenn, but I agree, he gets knocked around far too easily. He needs to work on his puck protection and winning board battles/retrieving and protecting the puck on dump ins.

Old
03-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Schmidty324

I really wish Akeson would get a shot in the top 6 instead of McGinn, Akeson could add some more skill to it.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Akeson-Schenn-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Lecavalier-Hall

I think this could also help out the 2nd PP unit. With Akeson in Giroux's spot, McGinn in Simmonds'. Schenn replacing Hartnell, and Lecavalier in Voracek's spot. And Streit at the top point. (just an idea)

Of course this will never ever happen

Old
03-28-2014, 05:03 PM
blinds

Quote:

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Hartnell-Vinny-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Hall-Talbot
This, please. I've wanted to see these lines all year. Vinny needs to be either 1RW or 2C, I don't see him filling any other role effectively.

Old
03-28-2014, 05:06 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I'm expecting this kind of effort tonight:

Closed Thread