HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Wesley re-signs

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
spence___

vCash: 500
Glen Wesley re-signs

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html

A 1 year deal for only $1 million

Last edited by spence___: 08-16-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old
08-16-2005, 02:27 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I hate to even say it now, but, with Wes back... who gets traded?

Old
08-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
If they intended to bring him back, why did they sign/trade for like 23 other defensemen in the past two weeks. I have yet to follow the thought process with this management team.....however, if there is a trade being worked out right now, maybe they can show me the light.

Old
08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
bleedgreen

they might have a lot of d, but wes is argueably in the top 3 of the whole bunch...so i doesnt really matter to me. going into this offseason we were very old on the blue line and had little depth. weve added 3 d in their mid 20's, and kept the most important free agent d in wes. what your perceiving as excess is what other teams refer to as depth, but as fans of this organization we arent really used to that. im happy we have it, since the age of our core will undoubtedly force us to test that depth at some time.

my guesses for trades would be one of ward/wallin/kaberle. these guys are older, yet cheap solid vets that would good on a lot of teams, but take up space one of the younger guys we now have should be getting. it would be strange to trade kaberle without really giving him a chance, but i assume oleg is getting most of his pp time now. i think we wont trade any of these guys until camp helps sort out a pecking order for rutherford to judge, right now it would be tough to figure out which guy they can live without.

Old
08-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
my guesses for trades would be one of ward/wallin/kaberle. these guys are older, yet cheap solid vets that would good on a lot of teams, but take up space one of the younger guys we now have should be getting. it would be strange to trade kaberle without really giving him a chance, but i assume oleg is getting most of his pp time now. i think we wont trade any of these guys until camp helps sort out a pecking order for rutherford to judge, right now it would be tough to figure out which guy they can live without.[/QUOTE]

And I am sure that the trade will return some kind of 5th round pick that we will never hear of more than 2 days after that draft takes place. I like Wesley though, I think that gives us a solid defensive defensemen who is smart and positionally sound. I dont have a problem with his signing, just that they went out and got all these other guys. But I suppose your depth argument is sound. Are we sharing Lowell with Calgary again this year?

Old
08-16-2005, 03:58 PM
bleedgreen

nope, with the avalanche. also, remember that we've lost rourke and fast so we will need a few guys for lowell outright. its possible walser and hutch were brought in just to help out lowell, and be emergency callups. i think commodore is getting a shot with the big boys, though i think st jacques has earned another chance.

Old
08-16-2005, 07:09 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Kaberle hasn't been given a chance to take the ice for Carolina yet. I doubt they'd trade him. Wallin fills in well as a 7th defenseman:

Tverdovsky
Hedican
Wesley
Kaberle
Commodore
Ward
---
Wallin
St.Jacques
Hutchinson

Old
08-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

I am wondering why we havent heard any talk about Danny Richmond. I think that with some of the changes to the game he is much more suited to be effective. Does anyone know what our intentions are with this kid?

Old
08-17-2005, 08:21 AM
jeffbear

I think that Ward is the only legitimate candidate to be moved.

Note that Carolina also signed Cris Hajt for Lowell yesterday. Stay at home D - pretty much AHL only.

Bottom line, Commodore makes this team better and belongs in the NHL. All the other guys they've obtained on D are iffy in that regard and could just as well belong at the AHL level. Wallin is a spare part IMO. Capable of filling in on the third pairing, but too experienced for the AHL or to clear waivers. If they keep Ward then there's a pretty clear top 6 of Tverdovsky, Wesley, Kaberle, Hedican, Ward and Commodore with Wallin in reserve ... but there's no room for Hutchinson or St Jacques to compete for a spot, which you want. If you move Ward out of the frame, then you can carry Hutchinson to help out on the pwer play and still keep Wallin in reserve for when you need a bit more beef in the top 6 for a specific game.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:22 AM
jeffbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache
I am wondering why we havent heard any talk about Danny Richmond. I think that with some of the changes to the game he is much more suited to be effective. Does anyone know what our intentions are with this kid?
With all the NHLers in the AHL last season Richmond didn't get the kind of ice time or responsibility that he needs to mature, so it was almost a lost season for him. I think it's pretty clear that the plan is to give him a heavy year in Lowell before they think about his place in the top 6.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbear
With all the NHLers in the AHL last season Richmond didn't get the kind of ice time or responsibility that he needs to mature, so it was almost a lost season for him. I think it's pretty clear that the plan is to give him a heavy year in Lowell before they think about his place in the top 6.
That makes sense. I was just thinking about the fact that he almost made the team the year he got drafted. So now, 2 season later, he is still not being mentioned? Just seemed a little strange to me. I hope he does have a good season down there because I like his offensive ability and the chippy edge he brings to the game.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:54 AM
CanesRock

I could have done without Wesley coming back. He is just ok in my eyes. He skates hard and likes to run into people ( I say "run into people" because he doesn't hit hard enough to be considered checking) which is good. For some reason when I think back to when they last played all I remember is Wesley turning the puck over in key situations, getting burnt down low and just plain sucking. He does bring some veteran leadership to the table, which is needed with these young defenseman.

I don't want to sound like I am bashing Wesley, its just that I am not excited about this signing. Could go either way for me.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:43 PM
canes-sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesRock
when I think back to when they last played all I remember is Wesley turning the puck over in key situations, getting burnt down low and just plain sucking.
Have you looked at the +/- stats for the Canes dmen? There are lots of ways to describe Wesley's game, and strengths/weaknesses, but "sucking" wouldn't be one of them.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

That is true, he was the best plus minus defensemen on the team. I still would like to see Richmond playing up here. If we are not going to make a push for the playoffs and we, the fans, realize that now. But come January, if we are getting killed, we need to bring him up and ship someone elsewhere. He is going to be in the lineup for years to come and I think he is a good talent. We need to get him some experience. I would love to see him paired with johnson in the future, big tough dman with smaller more offensive dman. that would be a dirty little pairing though!

Old
08-17-2005, 02:58 PM
bleedgreen

the game i saw richmond, he was a top 4 guy even though commodore had been added. he played a ton especially late when they were down. problem is, he is not close to being strong enough at this point. he couldnt clear a crease in the nhl, and thats his main job. he also is too offensive minded and and makes rookie mistakes with the puck. i think danny is a long term investment. he may still be a couple of years away.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:19 AM
jeffbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache
That makes sense. I was just thinking about the fact that he almost made the team the year he got drafted. So now, 2 season later, he is still not being mentioned? Just seemed a little strange to me. I hope he does have a good season down there because I like his offensive ability and the chippy edge he brings to the game.
Richmond didn't come anywhere close to making that team. That was wishful thinking on the part of our beloved News and Observer beat writer. Richmond wasn't even close to ready for the NHL in his own end ... and I mean MILES away from close.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

That information about Richmond almost making the team cam from JR. Now take that with a grain of salt as well. I am sure you are right that he was/may still be miles away from ready in his own end. That was a team that finished with the worst record in hockey that year, so maybe he almost made THAT team.

Old
08-18-2005, 02:46 PM
jeffbear

I'm still not sure what Jimmy was talking about when it comes to Richmond. He was simply awful in his own end during that pre season and wouldn't have made any other NHL team's roster ... no matter how bad they were.

Tell ya what though ... if JR has a blind spot it for defensemen. Sometimes I think he hasn't the first clue when it comes to scouting talent on D.

Closed Thread