HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Trade Sjostrom?

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2003, 11:12 AM
c9orf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
I dont think you get it

Its like judging college applicants on their elementary school grades.
Huh? Players are continuously judged on the basis of their ongoing performance. After two training camps, two rookie tournaments, two years in junior and international play, we know a hell of a lot more about Sjostrom than we did on draft day. The third training camp is generally considered to a critical one in determining a player's career. Are you claiming that we cannot currently judge him at all, but a year from now his fate will be all but sealed? Our coaching staff is not that incompetent.

A prospect should be traded at the earliest moment that he seems likely to underachieve, in order to capture as much value as possible in a trade. If you wait until EVERYONE can see that you have a probable dud, he's worth nothing.

As I said before, I will wait to see what happens with him - but please don't try to argue that prospects cannot be traded until they've had a shot in the NHL. It happens all the time.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:09 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad+Croutons
As I said before, I will wait to see what happens with him - but please don't try to argue that prospects cannot be traded until they've had a shot in the NHL. It happens all the time.
So If Fleury has a bad camp, the pens should trade him?

This is rediculous, he hasnt even played in the AHL yet and people want to trade him.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Sjostrom has played in the AHL - he scored a GWG on his debut last year.

PhoPhan - dont forget Freddie is still learning the game and the fighting aspect is something totally new to a European.. I remember one of his interviews when he was laughing and saying he had no idea what to do when he got involved in his first brawl. He has got character so he will stand up for himself if that's what he thinks he's supposed to do so I think its a good sign.. always liked his attitude. Hopefully wont take long for him to learn the best way to hurt the opposition is with his skill and speed not his fists.

Anyway he's about the last person I'd trade (apart from Leneveu) we have no other top class winger.. if we have to trade someone good let it be one of our centers - Kolanos, Taffe, McLeod, Podlesak, Koreis. But I think S&C has a point.. that's what Carolina were doing with Knyazev and Tanabe as eyeinthesky pointed out.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:17 PM
ulf

as a commodity if someone offered gaborik or more realistically staal then yes freddie's on the move....unless the deal is staggering give the kid enough time to be a valuable part of the yotes. if he bombs take your losses at that time and move on.and no i'm not comparing him to either player just making a point.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:43 PM
hbk

I would hate to see Barnett deal a bunch of kids and wind up like Mike Milbury who dealt an all-star line during his time in New York (Redden, Chara, Berard, Luongo, and Brewer to name a few). I personally beleive Sjostrom will play in the NHL and I'm not sure he would attract enough of a return at this time that would justify moving him.

The flipside is unless we start jetisoning some bodies off of the main squad the kids will stagnate on the farm. I think we're ok for one more year but I would anticipate that bodies will be moved to make way for the future.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:00 AM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
The flipside is unless we start jetisoning some bodies off of the main squad the kids will stagnate on the farm. I think we're ok for one more year but I would anticipate that bodies will be moved to make way for the future.
I have been saying for months now. I think the Coyotes have planned it so that if there is no NHL season next year the prospects will still be playing together under the Coyotes instruction in Springfield. When the NHL resumes I think half the team will be those Springfield prospects. If there is no work stopage next season, the Coyotes will slowly make a few changes creating room for those very same prospects right away.

Closed Thread