HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sharpening question

Old
03-28-2014, 07:55 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Sharpening question

I recently had my skates sharpened in another country because I attended training camp.At camp the ice was very hard and the sharpen was nice but it was weird because the skate had a lot of bite but it was hard to "find the edge". I don't know the depth of either sharpen but is that the only thing they would most likely change?

I know that with a sharpen from my normal guy on our soft ice, I can "find my edges" easily and have enough bite for my ability and weight(I'm 195). On my foreign sharpen I have less glide and a real hard time finding my edges. Although, when I set them right I get a massive amount of power as opposed to the local sharpening which is more forgiving.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on (different hollows?)?

Of course this is mostly academic because I am going to take my skates back and ask my guy to "fix" them.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 08:54 AM
AIREAYE

Without you providing more info regarding what hollow you got, it's hard to tell apart from the quality of the ice. Some people go to a slightly deeper hollow when on harder ice and shallower on softer ice because they would sink in more.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:16 AM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
I know that with a sharpen from my normal guy on our soft ice, I can "find my edges" easily and have enough bite for my ability and weight(I'm 195). On my foreign sharpen I have less glide and a real hard time finding my edges. Although, when I set them right I get a massive amount of power as opposed to the local sharpening which is more forgiving.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on (different hollows?)?
My bet is that it* is effectively producing a deeper hollow.

(*"It" being, a sharper grind, an actual deeper hollow, or something about the ice that's allowing you to dig in more.)

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:31 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I'm betting that it's a different hollow. If you have no idea what you were skating on before, you've always just been getting the default cut. That varies from shop to shop. Don't do that. Learn what you've been skating on, and ask for what you want when you get your skates sharpened. Odds are that if you go back and tell them to fix it, they won't be able to find anything wrong because there is nothing wrong.

And yes, hard ice versus soft ice matters. Skate edges dig in much more in softer ice- that's probably the issue here. You're used to the feeling of your edges in soft ice, but not in harder ice.

Oh, and what country you get the sharpening in is completely irrelevant.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote