HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Keeping your slapshot low

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2005, 02:45 AM
rival

vCash: 500
Keeping your slapshot low

Is there a technique to keeping your slapper low or is it just the pattern of the stick? It took me a long time to find the proper technique for getting any power behind my shot on the ice but somewhere along the way I screwed up and now I have trouble keeping it under the crossbar from anywhere outside the crease. Any advice is much appreciated.

Old
11-04-2005, 11:29 AM
jacklours

Tou probably have one of them wacky curves. I myself have pretty much no curve at all, I have hard time aiming fot the top corner. But I play defence, so I have one wrist shot from the slot where I need to aim top corner for every 100 shots from the blueline. Curve definitely is a factor, however, the positioning of the puck is quite important. Try to move the puck a little towards your backfoot, that'll force your stick looking more towards the ice then above the net when it hits the puck. That's how I control my shots anyways. I can slap it anywhere I want from the blueline, top corner (rarely do, but it looks good once in a while when no one is up in front.) or down low in the corner (whenever I have someone screening).

Old
11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

two things:

1. Don't go down as far on the bottom hand (1-2" less)

2. Roll your top hand forward as you wind up.

Obviously try to do one or the other as you practice. I can remember to do it during practices but I forget during the games and end up shooting mid-goal and up from the point way too many times.

Old
11-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Fingolfin

Hold back on your followthrough and your shot will stay a lot lower to the ice.

- Fin

Old
11-04-2005, 03:49 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin
Hold back on your followthrough and your shot will stay a lot lower to the ice.

- Fin

What I would have said.

If your follow through your stick and it goes up to your head then the shot is going to be high, if you can keep your still low on the followthrough like up to your waist then it should be a nice low shot.

Old
11-04-2005, 05:17 PM
JonathanK
McOptimistic

Keep the puck back in your stance.

Old
11-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Lard_Lad

Agreed on limiting the follow-through. Try to keep it as high as you want the puck to go. It won't match exactly, but that's a good way to remember to keep it low.

Old
11-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Rico__Persson*

I've never experimented with the low follow through. If you are looking for power, a low follow through will naturally take something off your shot, as you have a tendency to slow down your shot mechanics.

For me it the type of blade you use. Anything with a heel curve, and a slight twist will send my shot sky high. Eastons "Lidstrom" curve is the most common heel curve. For some people, they just can't use them. I'd look at that and maybe go to one with less twist in it. The round curve doesn't affect shots as much as the twist.

As a general rule of thumb. If you want to keep the puck low, hammer it off the heel area of your blade. Rarely will a puck lift if you hit it about 3 inches in on the blade.

For lifting shots, the complete opposite is used. Shoot near the toe of the blade. The further you go, the higher the puck should go. There is a point near the end of the blade whare it it just too far. There is too much spring at the toe, and most often you'll fan, or do a complete tool butter-fly blast...eveyone lets one of those go once and a while. Hopefully not in a clutch situation.

Old
11-05-2005, 04:26 AM
phillyphan

Send a message via AIM to phillyphan
i would give u advice but its pretty much been said.....low follow thru, puck back in stance, bottom hand higher, and roll top hand. if none of that does it try stand straight up...im sure the puck wont come off the ground then...

Old
11-05-2005, 06:05 AM
hfboardsuser

I find that if I tilt the blade forward so that the top is leaning out more than the bottom, my slapper will stay farther down. This'll happen when you roll your wrist, as was suggested already. Just watch out for it.

Old
11-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rival
Is there a technique to keeping your slapper low or is it just the pattern of the stick? It took me a long time to find the proper technique for getting any power behind my shot on the ice but somewhere along the way I screwed up and now I have trouble keeping it under the crossbar from anywhere outside the crease. Any advice is much appreciated.
Simply turn the blade over after you shoot on your follow through.

As you shoot the puck turn your wrists over and point the toe of your stick down towards the ice.

If you practice it enough, it will become second nature.

Old
11-06-2005, 09:15 AM
RedK

How is the puck going off your stick? A lot of the guys who send it to high with their slapshots are sending it off the heels of their sticks. It needs to leave farther down the blade. If you are heeling your slapshot, check the elbow of your upper arm. You are probably lowering it as you shoot, which causes the stick to heel.

Old
11-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores
Don't go down as far on the bottom hand (1-2" less)
Right on the money. Everything else said is very true as well.

Closed Thread