HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rumor: Selanne to Montreal? (MERGED)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2005, 06:30 PM
  #1
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
Rumor: Selanne to Montreal?

Got this from the RDS TALKBACK:
Bonjours mes fans en manque de mouvement de la par de canadien. Il y a une rumeure qui cour voulant que Teemu Selane se joigne au Canadien! Comme annoncer sur le site de Mojo Radio.com: "Now that Saku Koivu is inked in Montreal, Teemu Selanne is negotiating exclusively with the Habs."

and Spectors:

Thanks to John Bale for the following regarding several Finnish players: "this morning the sports news on the Finnish TV-channel MTV3 had a segment on a Jari Kurri & Friends exhibition game played yesterday, which included Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Sami Salo and Olli Jokinen. Each had something to say about their current contract situation. Salo confirmed he had signed with Vancouver; Koivu said the only thing left was deciding whether to sign a one-year or a long-term contract with Montreal; Jokinen said he will remain in Florida and that the contract will be signed soon; Selanne said a deal fell through last week due to cap problems, but said that there are still several offers on the table and that the difficult part is choosing "where" to play - nevertheless, he said the matter would be resolved soon."

and the unmentionable:

Rumors still abound regarding Selanne and the Montreal Canadians. A source said to me, "He was waiting to be assured that Koivu was staying. Now that Saku has signed, you can add the HAbs to the list again." That list also includes, Atlanta and St. Louis.

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
  #2
ControlFreak
Registered User
 
ControlFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Pretty conflicted about this. Selanne could be a nice addition to the club, but it bugs the hell out of me that this would take a spot away from a rookie. Concerning the Habs, I sometimes get a sinking feeling when I read a rumor, and usually it ends up happening. It's been awhile since I've had one of those, but this Selanne thing just gave me one.... or it might be gas: the jury is still out.

ControlFreak is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
  #3
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Honestly I would like him to sign here, so we can finally see what they can do together. Its been like 5 years people have been talking about putting these 2 together. DO it already!

Canadian_Brewtality is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
  #4
Nobak
Registered User
 
Nobak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Those rumors don't excite me anymore. We have more than a full roster at this point.

Nobak is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:39 PM
  #5
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Selanne is a RW, isn't he? Can either he or Kovy play LW?

If so, I wouldn't mind a cheap Selanne playing with Koivu and Kovalev. Move Zednik to the 2nd line. If it doesn't work, re-juggle the combinations.

Dan K is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:40 PM
  #6
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
Pretty conflicted about this. Selanne could be a nice addition to the club, but it bugs the hell out of me that this would take a spot away from a rookie. Concerning the Habs, I sometimes get a sinking feeling when I read a rumor, and usually it ends up happening. It's been awhile since I've had one of those, but this Selanne thing just gave me one.... or it might be gas: the jury is still out.
My doctor said Mylanta

AD is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:40 PM
  #7
ControlFreak
Registered User
 
ControlFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Selanne is a RW, isn't he? Can either he or Kovy play LW?

If so, I wouldn't mind a cheap Selanne playing with Koivu and Kovalev. Move Zednik to the 2nd line. If it doesn't work, re-juggle the combinations.
But what about your rad avatar?

ControlFreak is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
  #8
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
the thing with Selanne is it would give us the abilty to run 3 scoring lines...we all know Koivu,Ribeiro,Bonk can take care of themselves offensively..so we can juggle the lines and that would surely help us in a long playoff series:

example:

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin
Bulis-Bonk-Zednik

example 2"

Zednik-Koivu-Selanne
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Bonk-Ryder

or Zednik with Ribeiro..so many possibility..

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
  #9
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"
 
TheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal
Posts: 9,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak
Those rumors don't excite me anymore. We have more than a full roster at this point.
Exactly, Selanne to Montreal will never happen, never...

TheDamned is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
  #10
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
But what about your rad avatar?
I'd be glad to make a new one if this somehow came true

Dan K is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:52 PM
  #11
Habs514
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,929
vCash: 500
I will believe it when I see it on TSN. We've have heard too many rumors that never happend.

Habs514 is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:54 PM
  #12
CH Wizard
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: preparin for 09 cup
Country: Afghanistan
Posts: 11,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
Exactly, Selanne to Montreal will never happen, never...
And why? We've alot of depht at the forward position and will give open spots to youngsters but Koivu will maybe ask management to sign Selanne or vice versa.Selanne will maybe motivated to come here because of Saku.

CH Wizard is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
  #13
Belarus Rocket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Will not happen,end of the story

Belarus Rocket is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:01 PM
  #14
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,098
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
the thing with Selanne is it would give us the abilty to run 3 scoring lines...we all know Koivu,Ribeiro,Bonk can take care of themselves offensively..so we can juggle the lines and that would surely help us in a long playoff series:

example:

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin
Bulis-Bonk-Zednik

example 2"

Zednik-Koivu-Selanne
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Bonk-Ryder

or Zednik with Ribeiro..so many possibility..
Either of those example's looks damn good to me.

I really like the idea of rolling the dice on Selanne. What's the worse that can happen if we sign him to a one year deal. I've always wanted to see him and Koivu play together.

Tuggy is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:02 PM
  #15
didjuicythat
@m_desroches
 
didjuicythat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,251
vCash: 500
Simply put, I hope it doesn't happen. We have been talking about bringing youth in our line up in an important role, and just when it seems like the 2005-06 season could see guys like Perezhogin, Higgins and Plekanec see regular NHL action, we would sign a veteran like Selanne to take one of the younger guys' top-6 forward spot? I really hope those rumors are BS. I'm happy with our projected 4-5m under the cap, considering we might have to make trade deadline moves.... however, signing Selanne for the next season would definetely put us right there near the 39m mark. For me, it's a definite "No".

didjuicythat is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:09 PM
  #16
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,363
vCash: 500
the only way i see Gainey signing another forward free agent , is only if Ryder is not comming back ; if he signs with the team , they are are not going to return Perezhogin to Hamilton , just to play Selane ( and than play Zednik on the second line )....

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:13 PM
  #17
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I wouldn't mind if it was a 1 year, 1 mill king of thing. I mean as much as id love to see Perezhogin on the second line, it wouldn't hurt imo for him to play his first season on the third, or if worst comes to worst, on the 4th. He would still be getting valuable experience, and may even benefit by not having the burden to be a goto guy on the top 6. He would also learn more about the defensive game on the third.

I doubt this rumor has any valid grounds though, as their have been rumors for years now of Saku and Selanne finally ruiniting together in Montreal.

Mooch is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:14 PM
  #18
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
the only way i see Gainey signing another forward free agent , is only if Ryder is not comming back ; if he signs with the team , they are are not going to return Perezhogin to Hamilton , just to play Selane ( and than play Zednik on the second line )....
For God's sake! when will the madness end

417 is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:15 PM
  #19
Agalloch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
How about Plekanec, I have no sources, but I'm pretty sure he signed a one-way contract. I mean, if he signed for 2 years...

Agalloch is online now  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:17 PM
  #20
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Selanne?

Forget about him.

We already have:
Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Ryder - Ribeiro - Perezhogin
Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom
Vandermeer - Bégin - Plekanec

Hossa - Dagenais... and most people here agree for Higgins to make the team eventually this year.

And you want to add Selanne to that lot? Geez... that's a whole bunch of player and no vacant spot. I say we don't need that guy. Let's keep some room for the youngsters if there are some injuries.

IcE ColD is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:17 PM
  #21
oli500
Registered User
 
oli500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Like I said in the peter bondra post The more depth we have the better chance we have in getting far.If we could sign selane too a two year deal it might intise koivu to stay here in mtl. Also if you remember the playoffs during the lock out are firts line was the only line scoring. The ribeiro ryder dagenais line had all the trouble scoring. A second line foward a la bondra would be a welcome edition as it would give us a more balance line up. We could experement a hossa on the first line wile having a top notch second line. Just look at the flyers with all the foward depth they will find ways to play theire young guys in richards and carter.
Hossa-Koivu-selane
kovalev-ribeiro-Zednik
Ryder-Bonk-Bulis

If we play hossa our ryder on the 3rd line im sure we can find room for them on the top power play unit and if they aply the new rules correctly they can have alot of ice time because of that

Besides wouldent people rather have a selane zednik our kovalev to play on a second line instead of dagenais.

oli500 is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:43 PM
  #22
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,566
vCash: 500
I don't buy it but who knows ..

E = CH² is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 07:56 PM
  #23
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Got this from the RDS TALKBACK:
Bonjours mes fans en manque de mouvement de la par de canadien. Il y a une rumeure qui cour voulant que Teemu Selane se joigne au Canadien! Comme annoncer sur le site de Mojo Radio.com: "Now that Saku Koivu is inked in Montreal, Teemu Selanne is negotiating exclusively with the Habs."

and Spectors:

Thanks to John Bale for the following regarding several Finnish players: "this morning the sports news on the Finnish TV-channel MTV3 had a segment on a Jari Kurri & Friends exhibition game played yesterday, which included Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Sami Salo and Olli Jokinen. Each had something to say about their current contract situation. Salo confirmed he had signed with Vancouver; Koivu said the only thing left was deciding whether to sign a one-year or a long-term contract with Montreal; Jokinen said he will remain in Florida and that the contract will be signed soon; Selanne said a deal fell through last week due to cap problems, but said that there are still several offers on the table and that the difficult part is choosing "where" to play - nevertheless, he said the matter would be resolved soon."

and the unmentionable:

Rumors still abound regarding Selanne and the Montreal Canadians. A source said to me, "He was waiting to be assured that Koivu was staying. Now that Saku has signed, you can add the HAbs to the list again." That list also includes, Atlanta and St. Louis.
The only rumor that mentions Selanne interested in Montreal is the ****** rumor on the bottom, so we know its crap.

The spectors rumor just says there are several offers with no teams listed.

So how is this a legit rumor then???

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 08:00 PM
  #24
KingJarl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
For my two cents, I'd love to see him in Montreal. He may not have the same scoring touch, but he sure does play tough. Just think of him as taking Perreault's place in the lineup.

Kingjarl

KingJarl is offline  
Old
08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
  #25
Guy Legend
Registered User
 
Guy Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Habs go away! We need Selanne in St. Louis.

Guy Legend is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.