HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rumor: Selanne to Montreal? (MERGED)

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Rumor: Selanne to Montreal?

Got this from the RDS TALKBACK:
Bonjours mes fans en manque de mouvement de la par de canadien. Il y a une rumeure qui cour voulant que Teemu Selane se joigne au Canadien! Comme annoncer sur le site de Mojo Radio.com: "Now that Saku Koivu is inked in Montreal, Teemu Selanne is negotiating exclusively with the Habs."

and Spectors:

Thanks to John Bale for the following regarding several Finnish players: "this morning the sports news on the Finnish TV-channel MTV3 had a segment on a Jari Kurri & Friends exhibition game played yesterday, which included Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Sami Salo and Olli Jokinen. Each had something to say about their current contract situation. Salo confirmed he had signed with Vancouver; Koivu said the only thing left was deciding whether to sign a one-year or a long-term contract with Montreal; Jokinen said he will remain in Florida and that the contract will be signed soon; Selanne said a deal fell through last week due to cap problems, but said that there are still several offers on the table and that the difficult part is choosing "where" to play - nevertheless, he said the matter would be resolved soon."

and the unmentionable:

Rumors still abound regarding Selanne and the Montreal Canadians. A source said to me, "He was waiting to be assured that Koivu was staying. Now that Saku has signed, you can add the HAbs to the list again." That list also includes, Atlanta and St. Louis.

Old
08-16-2005, 06:36 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Pretty conflicted about this. Selanne could be a nice addition to the club, but it bugs the hell out of me that this would take a spot away from a rookie. Concerning the Habs, I sometimes get a sinking feeling when I read a rumor, and usually it ends up happening. It's been awhile since I've had one of those, but this Selanne thing just gave me one.... or it might be gas: the jury is still out.

Old
Canadian_Brewtality

Honestly I would like him to sign here, so we can finally see what they can do together. Its been like 5 years people have been talking about putting these 2 together. DO it already!

Old
Nobak

Those rumors don't excite me anymore. We have more than a full roster at this point.

Old
08-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Selanne is a RW, isn't he? Can either he or Kovy play LW?

If so, I wouldn't mind a cheap Selanne playing with Koivu and Kovalev. Move Zednik to the 2nd line. If it doesn't work, re-juggle the combinations.

Old
08-16-2005, 06:40 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
Pretty conflicted about this. Selanne could be a nice addition to the club, but it bugs the hell out of me that this would take a spot away from a rookie. Concerning the Habs, I sometimes get a sinking feeling when I read a rumor, and usually it ends up happening. It's been awhile since I've had one of those, but this Selanne thing just gave me one.... or it might be gas: the jury is still out.
My doctor said Mylanta

Old
08-16-2005, 06:40 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Selanne is a RW, isn't he? Can either he or Kovy play LW?

If so, I wouldn't mind a cheap Selanne playing with Koivu and Kovalev. Move Zednik to the 2nd line. If it doesn't work, re-juggle the combinations.
But what about your rad avatar?

Old
08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Traitor8

the thing with Selanne is it would give us the abilty to run 3 scoring lines...we all know Koivu,Ribeiro,Bonk can take care of themselves offensively..so we can juggle the lines and that would surely help us in a long playoff series:

example:

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin
Bulis-Bonk-Zednik

example 2"

Zednik-Koivu-Selanne
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Bonk-Ryder

or Zednik with Ribeiro..so many possibility..

Old
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak
Those rumors don't excite me anymore. We have more than a full roster at this point.
Exactly, Selanne to Montreal will never happen, never...

Old
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
But what about your rad avatar?
I'd be glad to make a new one if this somehow came true

Old
08-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Habs514

I will believe it when I see it on TSN. We've have heard too many rumors that never happend.

Old
08-16-2005, 06:54 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
Exactly, Selanne to Montreal will never happen, never...
And why? We've alot of depht at the forward position and will give open spots to youngsters but Koivu will maybe ask management to sign Selanne or vice versa.Selanne will maybe motivated to come here because of Saku.

Old
08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Will not happen,end of the story

Old
08-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
the thing with Selanne is it would give us the abilty to run 3 scoring lines...we all know Koivu,Ribeiro,Bonk can take care of themselves offensively..so we can juggle the lines and that would surely help us in a long playoff series:

example:

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin
Bulis-Bonk-Zednik

example 2"

Zednik-Koivu-Selanne
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Bonk-Ryder

or Zednik with Ribeiro..so many possibility..
Either of those example's looks damn good to me.

I really like the idea of rolling the dice on Selanne. What's the worse that can happen if we sign him to a one year deal. I've always wanted to see him and Koivu play together.

Old
08-16-2005, 07:02 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Simply put, I hope it doesn't happen. We have been talking about bringing youth in our line up in an important role, and just when it seems like the 2005-06 season could see guys like Perezhogin, Higgins and Plekanec see regular NHL action, we would sign a veteran like Selanne to take one of the younger guys' top-6 forward spot? I really hope those rumors are BS. I'm happy with our projected 4-5m under the cap, considering we might have to make trade deadline moves.... however, signing Selanne for the next season would definetely put us right there near the 39m mark. For me, it's a definite "No".

Old
08-16-2005, 07:09 PM
goalchenyuk

the only way i see Gainey signing another forward free agent , is only if Ryder is not comming back ; if he signs with the team , they are are not going to return Perezhogin to Hamilton , just to play Selane ( and than play Zednik on the second line )....

Old
08-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I wouldn't mind if it was a 1 year, 1 mill king of thing. I mean as much as id love to see Perezhogin on the second line, it wouldn't hurt imo for him to play his first season on the third, or if worst comes to worst, on the 4th. He would still be getting valuable experience, and may even benefit by not having the burden to be a goto guy on the top 6. He would also learn more about the defensive game on the third.

I doubt this rumor has any valid grounds though, as their have been rumors for years now of Saku and Selanne finally ruiniting together in Montreal.

Old
08-16-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
the only way i see Gainey signing another forward free agent , is only if Ryder is not comming back ; if he signs with the team , they are are not going to return Perezhogin to Hamilton , just to play Selane ( and than play Zednik on the second line )....
For God's sake! when will the madness end

Old
08-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Agalloch

How about Plekanec, I have no sources, but I'm pretty sure he signed a one-way contract. I mean, if he signed for 2 years...

Old
08-16-2005, 07:17 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Selanne?

Forget about him.

We already have:
Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Ryder - Ribeiro - Perezhogin
Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom
Vandermeer - Bégin - Plekanec

Hossa - Dagenais... and most people here agree for Higgins to make the team eventually this year.

And you want to add Selanne to that lot? Geez... that's a whole bunch of player and no vacant spot. I say we don't need that guy. Let's keep some room for the youngsters if there are some injuries.

Old
08-16-2005, 07:17 PM
oli500

Like I said in the peter bondra post The more depth we have the better chance we have in getting far.If we could sign selane too a two year deal it might intise koivu to stay here in mtl. Also if you remember the playoffs during the lock out are firts line was the only line scoring. The ribeiro ryder dagenais line had all the trouble scoring. A second line foward a la bondra would be a welcome edition as it would give us a more balance line up. We could experement a hossa on the first line wile having a top notch second line. Just look at the flyers with all the foward depth they will find ways to play theire young guys in richards and carter.
Hossa-Koivu-selane
kovalev-ribeiro-Zednik
Ryder-Bonk-Bulis

If we play hossa our ryder on the 3rd line im sure we can find room for them on the top power play unit and if they aply the new rules correctly they can have alot of ice time because of that

Besides wouldent people rather have a selane zednik our kovalev to play on a second line instead of dagenais.

Old
08-16-2005, 07:43 PM
E = CH²

I don't buy it but who knows ..

Old
08-16-2005, 07:56 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Got this from the RDS TALKBACK:
Bonjours mes fans en manque de mouvement de la par de canadien. Il y a une rumeure qui cour voulant que Teemu Selane se joigne au Canadien! Comme annoncer sur le site de Mojo Radio.com: "Now that Saku Koivu is inked in Montreal, Teemu Selanne is negotiating exclusively with the Habs."

and Spectors:

Thanks to John Bale for the following regarding several Finnish players: "this morning the sports news on the Finnish TV-channel MTV3 had a segment on a Jari Kurri & Friends exhibition game played yesterday, which included Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Sami Salo and Olli Jokinen. Each had something to say about their current contract situation. Salo confirmed he had signed with Vancouver; Koivu said the only thing left was deciding whether to sign a one-year or a long-term contract with Montreal; Jokinen said he will remain in Florida and that the contract will be signed soon; Selanne said a deal fell through last week due to cap problems, but said that there are still several offers on the table and that the difficult part is choosing "where" to play - nevertheless, he said the matter would be resolved soon."

and the unmentionable:

Rumors still abound regarding Selanne and the Montreal Canadians. A source said to me, "He was waiting to be assured that Koivu was staying. Now that Saku has signed, you can add the HAbs to the list again." That list also includes, Atlanta and St. Louis.
The only rumor that mentions Selanne interested in Montreal is the ****** rumor on the bottom, so we know its crap.

The spectors rumor just says there are several offers with no teams listed.

So how is this a legit rumor then???

Old
08-16-2005, 08:00 PM
KingJarl

For my two cents, I'd love to see him in Montreal. He may not have the same scoring touch, but he sure does play tough. Just think of him as taking Perreault's place in the lineup.

Kingjarl

Old
08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Guy Legend

Habs go away! We need Selanne in St. Louis.

Closed Thread