HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Selanne to Montreal? (MERGED)

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
The only rumor that mentions Selanne interested in Montreal is the ****** rumor on the bottom, so we know its crap.

The spectors rumor just says there are several offers with no teams listed.

So how is this a legit rumor then???

Mojo Radio? can't read ??

Old
08-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
Just think of him as taking Perreault's place in the lineup.

I'll reserve that place for Radek Bonk, thank you very much.

Old
08-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Seems doubtful, given our depth. But then, if I had to choose between Dagenais and Selanne.... well...

Old
08-16-2005, 09:34 PM
turnbuckle*

I can see a couple of other reason why perhaps Gainey would sign Selanne.

First of all, it would go a long way to getting Saku to sign a long-term contract before the season's over, especially if Gainey commits to more than one season with Selanne (at a relatively low price one hopes). If the league is indeed looking to play up tempo, the Habs would then have the weapons to put out three offensive lines:

Selanne Koivu Kovalev
Perezhogin Ribeiro Ryder
Bulis Bonk Zednik

A rejuvenated Selanne makes that an extremely talented starting nine, one that hasn't been seen in these parts in many years.

Secondly, perhaps Gainey is figuring that this will be a make or break camp for at least a couple of prospects, and if they don't earn a spot over other rookies, they will be dealt for defensive help. A team like Nashville has several young defenceman that will be fighting for roster spots, as will Chicago. Both could use another forward prospect or two that are ready for NHL duty but won't be able to crack Montreal's forward corps, which going into this season has more depth than both of those teams. I could see Plekanec earning a regular spot on the Hawks or Preds, would they give up a Klein or McCarthy to get him? What if Hossa has a good camp, but is upstaged by Perezhogin and Higgins, who are exceptional. A package of Plekanec and Hossa might look enticing to a team like St. Louis trying to rebuild it's team, or even Dallas, that isn't exactly teeming with great forward prospects. Then you have to look at guys like Erskine/Belle in return, and perhaps a draft pick.

Plekanec and Hossa to Dallas for Erskine and a second round pick. Would you do it? He's a tough cookie. Maybe they'd want Hainsey back to replace Erskine.

Higgins
Perezhogin
Kostitsyn
Latendresse
Chipchura
Mikus
Grabovsky
Locke

That's still a pretty impressive group of forward prospects I think.

Rivet Markov
Komisarek Souray
Dandenault Erskine
Bouillon

That's a pretty tough overall group of defenceman. Two heavyweights, one up and coming heavyweight, and a gritty middleweight and shortweight. Just like Gainey's old Hab champ teams - all the heavyweights on the blueline.

Selanne Koivu Kovalev
Perezhogin Ribeiro Ryder
Bulis Bonk Zednik
Higgins Begin Sunny
Vandermeer Dagenais

I'd be more than comfortable going into the season with that group, assuming we added Erskine on the back end. Vandermeer would play in the tougher matches, like Toronto, his old favourite.

Old
08-16-2005, 09:37 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Kovalev

no..no..no..no...

slap koivu in htemiddle of those 2 if you want something dangerous

Old
08-16-2005, 10:00 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Chipchura
Simply put, I hope it doesn't happen. We have been talking about bringing youth in our line up in an important role, and just when it seems like the 2005-06 season could see guys like Perezhogin, Higgins and Plekanec see regular NHL action, we would sign a veteran like Selanne to take one of the younger guys' top-6 forward spot? I really hope those rumors are BS. I'm happy with our projected 4-5m under the cap, considering we might have to make trade deadline moves.... however, signing Selanne for the next season would definetely put us right there near the 39m mark. For me, it's a definite "No".
Same here. I would just loathe to have Selanne taking one of our young guys spots. We look good enough for a playoff spot without Selanne. St. Louis can have him.

Old
08-16-2005, 10:18 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

If Selanne ever come in MTL(douthfull) it will mean the end of Dagenais on our 2nd line, not a prospect. And you don't give prospect(suspect) a spot on your NHL line up, they have to make their own place and win it. Even with Selanne, with still have 3 open spot for prospect. 3rd line RW and both wing on 4th line. Higgins, Perezhogin, Sundstrom, Plekanec, Hossa and Vendermeer woul fight for these 3 spots. I see nothing wrong with this.

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev
Zednk-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Bonk-Perezhogin(Sundstrom)
Higgins(Hossa/Plekanec)-Begin-Vandermeer(Hossa/Plekanec)

We could trade Sunny and Hossa. Keep Plekanec has extra, switching with Higgins and Vendermeer when needed. Dagenais in the AHL.

It would make our team better, with more competivity between the players. But Selanne would have to come cheap, like 1-1.5 cheap and for only 1 year. Maybe I'm wrong but I think some other teams will offer more and he won't sign here witch isn't so bad eitheir, we will survive.

Old
08-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Habs13

Why can't we have both? We can't we sign Selanne and dump Dagenais into Hamilton and send Sundstrom some place else for "future considerations" and play the kids too! Why can't these kids learn from some reconized NHL talent like Koivu, Kovalev, Zednik AND Selanne! That would be sweet.

Selanne - Koivu - Kovalev
Zednik - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Bonk - Perezhogin
Hossa - Begin - Plekanec

*Vandermeer for rougher teams

Higgins back to Hamilton because he can still be sent there...

Last edited by Habs13: 08-16-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old
08-16-2005, 10:30 PM
turnbuckle*

That would work as well; I'd rather give up only one prospect if it's what is needed to get a good defenceman in return; I don't see Dags/Sunny bringing us that however.

Hossa can go if he has a poor training camp IMO.

Old
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
mikeg

let me just put this dog to rest right now.

he's not signing here
our team is done shopping
we don't need/want him

rumor mongers go bug some other team desperately searching for a brokendown overrated wunderstar.

and if he who's name shall not be mentionned is saying this, then you all know, you ALL KNOW IN YOUR HEART OF JELLY HEARTS that he just ain't coming here, and i say THANK BABY JESUS.

mike

Old
08-16-2005, 10:52 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
For God's sake! when will the madness end
cool down ...i don't say it will arrive and i don't beleive that it.
There is no room for Selane by now , and the only reason that would make him a member of the team would be if Ryder won't be there ....But we have Ryder...!!!

Old
08-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegimik
let me just put this dog to rest right now.

he's not signing here
our team is done shopping
we don't need/want him

rumor mongers go bug some other team desperately searching for a brokendown overrated wunderstar.

mike
go check his stats..he had close to 30 goals in 5 of the past 6 seasons.

Old
08-16-2005, 11:37 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
and the unmentionable:

Rumors still abound regarding Selanne and the Montreal Canadians. A source said to me, "He was waiting to be assured that Koivu was staying. Now that Saku has signed, you can add the HAbs to the list again." That list also includes, Atlanta and St. Louis.
FCK EKLND

Old
08-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Bileur

I'm not sure I trust this, but his presence would help solidfy the top 6 (get Dags or a rookie out of there).

Old
08-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Habs go away! We need Selanne in St. Louis.
You would need him more than us. We didn't lose our top defenseman AND top forward.

Old
08-17-2005, 03:15 AM
Marksman

I think Selšnne would be a perfect fit with our team. Its true that young players need spots for them, but they also need talented veteran players to play with and learn from. I would love to see him lined up next to Ribeiro and possibly rookie on the left side. The team is lacking right handed shots badly... which are important especially on PP and Teemu could provide us one.

Old
08-17-2005, 03:21 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I think Selšnne would be a perfect fit with our team. Its true that young players need spots for them, but they also need talented veteran players to play with and learn from. I would love to see him lined up next to Ribeiro and possibly rookie on the left side. The team is lacking right handed shots badly... which are important especially on PP and Teemu could provide us one.
common man..if Temmu is coming, it's to play with Saku..not Mike Ribeiro

Old
08-17-2005, 03:28 AM
habsforlife

Quote:
common man..if Temmu is coming, it's to play with Saku..not Mike Ribeiro

if that rumor is all true and he really did wait to see if koivu signs, well.... indeed he is gonna play with saku.

hope he plays lw though cause kovy is a must with koivu.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:19 AM
HaBs_ReNeGaTe

Send a message via MSN to HaBs_ReNeGaTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
cool down ...i don't say it will arrive and i don't beleive that it.
There is no room for Selane by now , and the only reason that would make him a member of the team would be if Ryder won't be there ....But we have Ryder...!!!
oh yeah? That not what my sources say... for now he is unsigned And could stay.

Edit: but this rumour will mostly reveal to be false... i'm sure like Forsberg or Satan rumours.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:24 AM
mikeg

Quote:
go check his stats..he had close to 30 goals in 5 of the past 6 seasons.
what`s your point? he used to get 50+ goals.. i see production going down, he's older now too, i think...

the point is, he's not someone we need, his salary/roster spot would only take away a spot from one of our youngins who if given the chance, could surely put in 30 goals for 1/4 the salary..

mike

Old
08-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
That's the point of having Selanne, you really expect one of Perezhogin, Higgins or whoever else Hamilton guy to step in and score thirty goals? I say not this year, thus the point of adding an experienced forward to our lineup. Our rookies don't need that kind of pressure. And Dagenais would lose his spot on the second line, not a rookie. We could still have Perezhogin, Higgins and Hainsey in the lineup with Selanne.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegimik
what`s your point? he used to get 50+ goals.. i see production going down, he's older now too, i think...

the point is, he's not someone we need, his salary/roster spot would only take away a spot from one of our youngins who if given the chance, could surely put in 30 goals for 1/4 the salary..

mike
One of our youngsters could surely score 30 goals? Whoa man back that truck up. Not to say it's impossible but come on...a lot of people quite comfortable with putting up to THREE rookies in the lineup. Selanne would add some veteren pressence and could possibly have a great year playing with Saks and Kovalev.

Old
08-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Subban Fan

It's weird that the only media reporting this rumor is mojoradio...I dont believe it!

Old
08-17-2005, 02:57 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Mojo Radio? can't read ??
Sorry Komisarek8, I skipped down to the english text (can't read french)....honest mistake.

Old
08-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Sorry Komisarek8, I skipped down to the english text (can't read french)....honest mistake.
Can someone post a link???

Closed Thread