HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Selanne to Montreal? (MERGED)

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
http://www.mojoradio.com/news/toront...nto_sports.cfm

PAR 6.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Darz

For everyone who thinks that management is automatically going to give a top six forward position to a rookie, remember.....

Saku Koivu, who has been the most heralded rookie the habs have had in the past 10-15 years (the year before he arrived in Montreal, he was named the best player outside of the NHL), in his rookie year started playing on our third line with Oleg Petrov and Valeri Bure.

08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
For everyone who thinks that management is automatically going to give a top six forward position to a rookie, remember.....

Saku Koivu, who has been the most heralded rookie the habs have had in the past 10-15 years (the year before he arrived in Montreal, he was named the best player outside of the NHL), in his rookie year started playing on our third line with Oleg Petrov and Valeri Bure.
True, but Saku would have had to displace one of Turgeon or Damphousse to make the top two lines. Perezhogin or whomever only has to push Dagenais out of the way.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:40 PM
mikeg

Quote:

where did ryder start last year? wasn't ribeiro used frequently on the second line as a rookie (memory is foggy).

fact is we haven't had talented rookies who could play on the top two lines for a while. if this was last season, we probably wouldn't be talking this way, but since they've all had an extra year to mature means (i hope) that at least one of our youngins is ready to take the torch

mike

Old
08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
True, but Saku would have had to displace one of Turgeon or Damphousse to make the top two lines. Perezhogin or whomever only has to push Dagenais out of the way.
But is Perezhogin ready to make the BIG jump from the minors to a 2nd liner in Montreal?

Old
08-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Darz

Quote:
Understood, but my point is that very few teams hand raw rookies top six forward job before they have played a single game at the NHL level.

Not saying that Perezhogin won't be on one of the first two lines in game #1 of the season, just that I don't think management looks at it as a certainty. Having a rookie break in on the third (or in many cases) the fourth line isn't a bad idea imo, especially in a city like Montreal.

I think a fourth line of Higgins-Begin-Perezhogin or Higgins-Plekanec-Perezhogin isn't too far out of the question....to start the year anyways.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegimik
where did ryder start last year? wasn't ribeiro used frequently on the second line as a rookie (memory is foggy).

fact is we haven't had talented rookies who could play on the top two lines for a while. if this was last season, we probably wouldn't be talking this way, but since they've all had an extra year to mature means (i hope) that at least one of our youngins is ready to take the torch

mike
In Ribeiro's first season, he recieved approx. 10 minutes of ice time a game (hardly top six forward minutes)

Old
08-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Understood, but my point is that very few teams hand raw rookies top six forward job before they have played a single game at the NHL level.

Not saying that Perezhogin won't be on one of the first two lines in game #1 of the season, just that I don't think management looks at it as a certainty. Having a rookie break in on the third (or in many cases) the fourth line isn't a bad idea imo, especially in a city like Montreal.

I think a fourth line of Higgins-Begin-Perezhogin or Higgins-Plekanec-Perezhogin isn't too far out of the question....to start the year anyways.
I'd be ok with a 4th line like that...

Old
08-17-2005, 03:36 PM
habfan4

Quote:

I don't disagree Darz.

I just think that sooner rather than later this season Dagenais will float for a few games, as a result he'll spend a few games in the press box, and return to potentially find Perezhogin or another rookie pencilled into his spot in the line up.

Old
08-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I think a guy like Selanne have something left in the tank. It was 1 bad season, not 3 or 4 in a row. At a reasonable price, i wouldnt mind seeing something like this. (assuming the Wingers can effectivly play at those positions):

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais/rookie-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Bonk-Zednik
Begin with 2 others who deserved getting nhl time.

This would give 2 wingers with more than decent size, they might not both be physical forces, but it would be big enough. A nice 1st line.

Bulis-Bonk-Zednik Would have to be given a try. With the new rules, puck possession in the offensive zone might be more important than ever, i think those 3 could do that and bring a significant offensive production. This line would easily received 2nd line ice time, not much of a downgrade for Zednik. Is he good enough defensively?

The 2nd line remaining unchanged, no defensive dutty would have to be asked of them, less ice time than the 3rd line but it doesnt stop them from producing last year.

And the 4 line composed of speed, some grit with Begin. In my opinion, this will be an important point with the new no-change-up rule when you clear the puck rule. Gone might be the days where the coach send a 4th line of exclusives killers that will play physical and finish their shift by slapping the puck. A 4th line vs 4th line shift 'win' might result in a resume of action in the offensive zone with the 1st line against the non-change 4th line.

To be honest, i dont see him comming, nor do i think he's essential. He would simply be a welcome addition that would improved the Habs depth. We'll see.

Old
08-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
I think a guy like Selanne have something left in the tank. It was 1 bad season, not 3 or 4 in a row. At a reasonable price, i wouldnt mind seeing something like this. (assuming the Wingers can effectivly play at those positions):

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais/rookie-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Bonk-Zednik

This would give 2 wingers with more than decent size, they might not both be physical forces, but it would be big enough. A nice 1st line.

Bulis-Bonk-Zednik Would have to be given a try. With the new rules, puck possession in the offensive zone might be more important than ever, i think those 3 could do that and bring a significant offensive production. This line would easily received 2nd line ice time, not much of a downgrade for Zednik. Is he good enough defensively?

The 2nd line remaining unchanged, no defensive dutty would have to be asked of them, less ice time than the 3rd line but it doesnt stop them from producing last year.

And the 4 line composed of speed, some grit with Begin. In my opinion, this will be an important point with the new no-change-up rule when you clear the puck rule. Gone might be the days where the coach send a 4th line of exclusives killers that will play physical and finish their shift by slapping the puck. A 4th line vs 4th line shift 'win' might result in a resume of action in the offensive zone with the 1st line against the non-change 4th line.

To be honest, i dont see him comming, nor do i think he's essential. He would simply be a welcome addition that would improved the Habs depth. We'll see.
I fully agree with this post. While Selanne is unlikely, he'd be nice.
Lines of...
Selanne - Koivu - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Bonk - Zednik
Begin - Plekanec - Sundstrom

look really awesome to me. An awesome top line, playing the most minutes, followed by the checking line (third line) who is equally adept on both offense and defense. Besides, when Saku was injured last year, Zednik couldn't produce with Ribeiro, so why not try him with Bonk. Then a 2nd line capable of adding more scoring punch, and a utility fourth line who is also good at both ends. Sundstrom could be replaced by an enforcer (or Higgins, Dagenais, or Hossa) as well.

Sign me up.

Old
08-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Rayne*

I don't agree at all with moving Zednik to the 3rd line. What would be the point of having him 1 line below Perezhogin?

Old
08-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreVX
I don't agree at all with moving Zednik to the 3rd line. What would be the point of having him 1 line below Perezhogin?
The point would be that Ribeiro and Zednik didn't work all that well together last year, so trying him with Bonk might work out better. Besides, you want Zeds playing a good amount of minutes, and the line "1 below" Perezhogin's gets more ice time than Perez's second line. Plus, Zeds is no slouch defensively, he even gets the odd penalty killing time, so he seems like a good fit for that line.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun

Selanne-Koivu-Kovalev
rookie-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Bonk-Zednik
i' in love with those lines! huge first line, 3 off. lines, wow!

Old
08-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
i' in love with those lines! huge first line, 3 off. lines, wow!
But Selanne is a RW and Kovalev is not nearly effective on the LW... This would mean Selanne on one line and Kovalev on the other... Would you want to see Selanne on a line with Koivu, If yes then Kovy would have to play with Ribeiro.

Selanne is not a nice fit IMO. I would not say no to a LW like Bondra however.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:56 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
But Selanne is a RW and Kovalev is not nearly effective on the LW... This would mean Selanne on one line and Kovalev on the other... Would you want to see Selanne on a line with Koivu, If yes then Kovy would have to play with Ribeiro.

Selanne is not a nice fit IMO. I would not say no to a LW like Bondra however.

I'm with you on that.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
MVP

Temmu is a good player for the Habs assuming his asking price is similar to that of Tony Amonte. Temmu can offer addition weapon with speed for Habs to play with, which might be vital if the game is being changed to as speedy as my people expect it to be.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
eddy

I wouldn't be mad if we signed Selanne, we'd have a great top 6. I jsut don't think it's necressary when a guy like Perezhogin or Hossa could have it. Besides I think the team should concentrate on defence before acquiring more forwards. Were fine for forwards right now, roster players and prospects, Defence is the weakness.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:30 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Not only that...we have a lot of rookies that deserve a chance and we can't all stick them on our 3rd and 4th line.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:39 AM
KingJarl

[QUOTE=Sakuuuuu]
Lines of...
Selanne - Koivu - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Bonk - Zednik
Begin - Plekanec - Sundstrom

QUOTE]

?!? I can't believe anyone would hand away Zednik's spot to a rookie. Perezhogin would have to start on the 3rd line and steal it. That being said, I bet if we signed Selanne HE'D have to steal Zed's spot on the first line. I think Zednik has really earned his spot there. He'd really have to stink it up to lost it, IMO.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Pycalusus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
I wouldn't be mad if we signed Selanne, we'd have a great top 6. I jsut don't think it's necressary when a guy like Perezhogin or Hossa could have it. Besides I think the team should concentrate on defence before acquiring more forwards. Were fine for forwards right now, roster players and prospects, Defence is the weakness.
just thought I'd point out the oprative word in the sentance

Old
08-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Pycalusus

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
Not only that...we have a lot of rookies that deserve a chance and we can't all stick them on our 3rd and 4th line.
Thats saying they will paly well enough in camp to deserve a shot.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Pycalusus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
?!? I can't believe anyone would hand away Zednik's spot to a rookie. Perezhogin would have to start on the 3rd line and steal it. That being said, I bet if we signed Selanne HE'D have to steal Zed's spot on the first line. I think Zednik has really earned his spot there. He'd really have to stink it up to lost it, IMO.
It's not about giving his spot away. It's about having THREE balanced scoring lines in Montreal for the first time in years.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Guy Germaine

The only reason Selanne would sign here is to play on a line with Saks, and unless either Kovalev or him play on the left there's really no point, we have enough depth at RW.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:48 AM
tinyzombies

Selanne is finished and takes away a spot for Perezhogin, unless Perez intends on playing in Russia or they are gonna put him on the checking line or something.

Closed Thread