HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Selanne to Montreal? (MERGED)

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2005, 11:52 AM
LPHabsFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Selanne is finished and takes away a spot for Perezhogin, unless Perez intends on playing in Russia or they are gonna put him on the checking line or something.
Perezhogin will play where Claude Julien plays. If he tells him he's playing on the third line then that's where he is going to play.

As far as taking a spot away, if anything, selanne will take a spot away from one of Hossa, Dags, or sundstrom.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker
The only reason Selanne would sign here is to play on a line with Saks, and unless either Kovalev or him play on the left there's really no point, we have enough depth at RW.
Somehow I do not think people can read or understand this point they keep putting Selanne on LW with Koivu and Kovalev. Selanne as played RW all his life. You can't take a experienced guy like him..move him to LW and expect the same.

For those who complain about handing the 1st line LW to Perezhogin instead of Zednik I think you over-estimate Zednik. Zednik outside of the playoff is useless, he has no passing game and is just an average forechecker. He skates well but can only pass the other defencements by using his stick to get arround them (this will likely be called this year as the new rules are no Hockey to body contact allowed...).

I agree with your point that Perezhogin need to earn his spot.. Ryder proved after few weeks that he would be a more usefull on the top two line. I expect the same thing of Perezhogin and would have nothing against letting him start on the fourth wing and move up... I think that both Higgins and Perezhogin should be able to prove they have what it takes to steal Zednik's job...If not this year next season.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:01 PM
hockey_nut

agree with just about everything Habruti! said...

if perezhogin proves something, it would make sense to put him on line 1 and move zeds to line 2, to even out the offense a little better

and regarding selanne, kovalev has played LW in the past... but honestly, i hope the guy signs somewhere soon (even here, i don't care)... i just want the rumors to end...

Old
08-18-2005, 01:17 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
Somehow I do not think people can read or understand this point they keep putting Selanne on LW with Koivu and Kovalev. Selanne as played RW all his life. You can't take a experienced guy like him..move him to LW and expect the same.

For those who complain about handing the 1st line LW to Perezhogin instead of Zednik I think you over-estimate Zednik. Zednik outside of the playoff is useless, he has no passing game and is just an average forechecker. He skates well but can only pass the other defencements by using his stick to get arround them (this will likely be called this year as the new rules are no Hockey to body contact allowed...).

I agree with your point that Perezhogin need to earn his spot.. Ryder proved after few weeks that he would be a more usefull on the top two line. I expect the same thing of Perezhogin and would have nothing against letting him start on the fourth wing and move up... I think that both Higgins and Perezhogin should be able to prove they have what it takes to steal Zednik's job...If not this year next season.
I agree with all this and have quickly made up some lines (just so this thread can go another hundred pages):

Zednik-Koivu-Selanne
Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Bonk-Perezhogin
Hossa-Begin-Sundstrom
Ivanans

Markov(I hope)-Rivet
Souray-Komisarek
Hainsey-Dandenault
Bouillon
Aitken

Theodore
Danis (Huet)

(but I've seen Selanne play in the Bay Area and watched him last season in Colorado.....he is done.....and soft.....we don't need any more soft players!)

Old
08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I agree with all this and have quickly made up some lines (just so this thread can go another hundred pages):

Zednik-Koivu-Selanne
Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Bonk-Perezhogin
Hossa-Begin-Sundstrom
Ivanans

Markov(I hope)-Rivet
Souray-Komisarek
Hainsey-Dandenault
Bouillon
Aitken

Theodore
Danis (Huet)

(but I've seen Selanne play in the Bay Area and watched him last season in Colorado.....he is done.....and soft.....we don't need any more soft players!)
Why not put Zednik with the two Czech... Bulis and Bonk! To obtain a great 3rd line... They would have a lot of ice time playing always against the best enemy line...

Selanne - Koivu - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Bonk - Zednik
Higgins - Plekanec - Bégin

Old
08-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Bugsy

posted by Habruti:
"Somehow I do not think people can read or understand this point they keep putting Selanne on LW with Koivu and Kovalev. Selanne as played RW all his life. You can't take a experienced guy like him..move him to LW and expect the same."

I believe that Selanne has played some LW before, when Koivu, Selanne and Lehtinen played as a unit for Finland. Lehtinen is a RW as is Selanne, but these guys are star players. It's not like taking a plumber and asking him to perform open heart surgery, it's hockey!

Selanne has played RW because that is a postion where he used his blazing speed to the fullest. It doesn't say anywhere that Selanne can't play LW. In fact, the switch might re-vitalize his NHL career. Playing the off-wing, he won't have to blow past defenders, he can set up for the one-timer more often.

I think Selanne would be an awesome pick up!!!

Old
08-18-2005, 02:39 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy
I believe that Selanne has played some LW before, when Koivu, Selanne and Lehtinen played as a unit for Finland. Lehtinen is a RW as is Selanne,

I believe Lehtinen plays LW with Koivu and Selanne. As he did with Modano and Hull at certain time I think.

However, Kovalev's a lefty, so it would be more natural to put him on the LW...

Old
08-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Jag68Sid87

You might as well place Kovalev on the fourth line if you're moving him to LW.

The difference is night and day. His game just doesn't translate well as a LW.

Old
08-18-2005, 02:46 PM
HaBs_ReNeGaTe

Send a message via MSN to HaBs_ReNeGaTe
So, does he always talk with Montreal? or this rumour will go no where again...

Old
08-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaBs_ReNeGaTe
So, does he always talk with Montreal? or this rumour will go no where again...
The only source is mojoradio.com...nothing to get very excited!

Old
08-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Bugsy

If you were in Selanne's shoes, wouldn't you jump at the chance to play with Koivu and Kovalev?
Koivu - awesome playmaker; great chemistry in world play;
Kovalev - top flight playmaking and finishing skills; ability to make linemates better

Zednik had a great playoffs in 2004 because of these two guys. Zednik, as good as he is, is not the sniper Selanne is. Moving Zednik down to the second line gives the Habs more fire power.......

Old
08-18-2005, 03:07 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy
Zednik had a great playoffs in 2004 because of these two guys. Zednik, as good as he is, is not the sniper Selanne is. Moving Zednik down to the second line gives the Habs more fire power.......
In 2002, Zednik was the best player on the ice, until he was axed by McLaren.

It seems we won't play Selanne AND Kovalev on the first line, if Selanne ever comes to Montréal.

So I'd better play Kovalev with Ribeiro, if we ever want to see Koivu and Selanne together in the NHL.

But I don't think it will happen...

Old
08-18-2005, 07:00 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
It may be important to note that Teemo is in NO way a soft player and he can FIRE the pic. He would be great with Ribero.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:02 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
You might as well place Kovalev on the fourth line if you're moving him to LW.

The difference is night and day. His game just doesn't translate well as a LW.
i agree kovy needs to stay on the right wing... his zone entry is all about being on his off wing
selanne can play left wing and im sure that if we picked him up itd be a great addition to the team

Old
08-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD
i agree kovy needs to stay on the right wing... his zone entry is all about being on his off wing
selanne can play left wing and im sure that if we picked him up itd be a great addition to the team

I was always sure that Selanne is and always would be a RW (strictly)...

Where did he play LW before?

Old
08-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur
Why not put Zednik with the two Czech... Bulis and Bonk! To obtain a great 3rd line... They would have a lot of ice time playing always against the best enemy line...

Selanne - Koivu - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Bonk - Zednik
Higgins/Vandermeer - Plekanec - Bégin

what a team! what a team! what a team!, i love it. one of the best 4 lines in the league

Old
08-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Duck Fan

Everyone seems to think Selanne will sign with the Habs. I was thinking he might sign with the Ducks as he is not money hungry and his family lives in Anaheim.

Have you heard anything that indicates he will sign in Montreal, other than the mojoradio remarks?

Old
08-18-2005, 10:30 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan
Have you heard anything that indicates he will sign in Montreal, other than the mojoradio remarks?
We hear every years that Selanne will sign with the Habs...and it hasn't happened yet

Old
08-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan
Everyone seems to think Selanne will sign with the Habs. I was thinking he might sign with the Ducks as he is not money hungry and his family lives in Anaheim.

Nothing other than that and people looking at Koivu and thinking, "Hmm, Selanne likes Koivu, therefore..."

I doubt he'll sign with the Habs but I don't think he'll sign with the Ducks either until they free up some space. They're at around 34 million before signing Salei, which will be another 2 million and I doubt they want to get much closer to the cap than 36 million. Always rumors of Sykora being moved, but IMO Sykora is more valuable to the ducks at this point in their careers.

Old
08-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Japa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
I don't think he'll sign with the Ducks either until they free up some space.
Selanne has told the finnish media that talks with the ducks are over.

Old
08-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japa
Selanne has told the finnish media that talks with the ducks are over.
Ah yes, I vaguely recall that now. I guess he won't sign with the Ducks at all

Old
08-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Habruti!

The only reason I would not mind Selanne (now that Bondra is rummored to sign in Washington, Atlanta or Florida but definitivly not MTL) is that he would provide more experience on the lineup and possibly allow pairing Ribeiro with Kovalev which could be better for Ribeiro long term.... I would agree with this only at a reduced salary like 1.5M or so....

I would go with a lineup that looks like this....

Perezhogin, Ribeiro, Kovalev
Zednik, Koivu, Selanne
Bulis, Bonk, Ryder
Higgins, Plekanek, Begin

On D...
Markov, Rivet
Streit, Komisarek
Souray, Dandenault

Theodore and Huet

Old
08-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
The only reason I would not mind Selanne (now that Bondra is rummored to sign in Washington, Atlanta or Florida but definitivly not MTL) is that he would provide more experience on the lineup and possibly allow pairing Ribeiro with Kovalev which could be better for Ribeiro long term.... I would agree with this only at a reduced salary like 1.5M or so....

I would go with a lineup that looks like this....

Perezhogin, Ribeiro, Kovalev
Zednik, Koivu, Selanne
Bulis, Bonk, Ryder
Higgins, Plekanek, Begin

On D...
Markov, Rivet
Streit, Komisarek
Souray, Dandenault

Theodore and Huet

Perezhogin hasn't proven he can play on the first line yet, Ribeiro and Kovalev do NOT have chemistry, Koivu will definately be the first line center next year, and Ribeiro/Ryder have great chemistry. Peter Vandermeer HAS to be in the line up and Begin can only play C or LW. I don't understand your lines at all..

Old
08-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Pycalusus

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
Ryder - Ribeiro - Selanne
Bulis - Bonk - Hossa
Higgins - Begin - Sundstrom

Dagenais, Vandermeer

Souray - Dandenault
Markov - Rivet
Komisarek - Streit

Bouillon

Theodore - Huet(Danis until he returns)

POWER PLAY
Zednik - Koivu - Selanne
Souray/Markov - Kovalev

Old
08-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
Perezhogin hasn't proven he can play on the first line yet, [bold]Ribeiro and Kovalev do NOT have chemistry[\bold], Koivu will definately be the first line center next year, and Ribeiro/Ryder have great chemistry. Peter Vandermeer HAS to be in the line up and Begin can only play C or LW. I don't understand your lines at all..
say who.... They played what two games together when Kovalev was just coming back from his injurry, not close enough to say they don't have chimistry.... BTW it took quite a few games before chimistry develops with Koivu as well.

Hope you call BG to let him know that Vandermeer HAS to be in the lineup as I am not sure he is convinced of that.

You should start watching a little hockey soon .... it might help you understand things that are pretty clear!

Closed Thread