HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Oliver Bjorkstrand

Old
09-18-2014, 07:23 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

vCash: 500
I think he has the highest offensive ceiling of any Blue Jacket.

09-18-2014, 05:23 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I think he has the highest offensive ceiling of any Blue Jacket.
even higher than Milano?

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2014, 05:22 AM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

vCash: 407
Beauty backhand by Olli, also a shortie.

http://winterhawks.com/video/40482

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2014, 08:49 AM
The Bread Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Beauty backhand by Olli, also a shortie.

http://winterhawks.com/video/40482
Links not working for me

Here's another

http://instagram.com/p/tt1YKwrqFm/

The Bread Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2014, 08:52 AM
RDriesenUD

I had to refresh it a few times to get it to work.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
LastWordArmy

vCash: 450
Oliver Bjorkstrand made his return to the NHL versus the Toronto Maple Leafs. This was his first NHL game since December 10th against the New York Islanders. He managed to record just one assist in his five previous games in the 2016-17 season before he was reassigned to the AHL Cleveland Monsters. On Wednesday, Bjorkstrand looked sharp in his return to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/02/...-blue-jackets/

LastWordArmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

He needs confidence and maturity. He's not going to score every night and he has to keep his head in the right place when he goes a few games without production. He can't question his game and try to change things when he doesn't score. He reminds me in that respect of Cam 3 years ago.

We'll have a spot for him next season, if not the remainder of this season, and we'll see how he progresses mentally.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Xoggz22

Bjorkstrand or Milano is the Gagner replacement. Likely as soon as... now. Gagner has really tailed off. If he isn't scoring, he isn't supporting this team in my opinion. Bjorkstrand has some growing to do but I don't think he's a step back (not right now). My biggest question is whether he can handle the pressure of playoff hockey this year. Exciting time for this to happen. Get a little experience and hopefully grow with the rest of this young team.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 11:28 AM
JKinCLE
killing time @ work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Bjorkstrand or Milano is the Gagner replacement. Likely as soon as... now. Gagner has really tailed off. If he isn't scoring, he isn't supporting this team in my opinion. Bjorkstrand has some growing to do but I don't think he's a step back (not right now). My biggest question is whether he can handle the pressure of playoff hockey this year. Exciting time for this to happen. Get a little experience and hopefully grow with the rest of this young team.
Well I don't know about the NHL playoffs, but he sure as hell handled himself well in the AHL playoffs. 6 GWG's including the Game 3 OT and Game 4 OT Calder Cup Winner and was the playoff MVP.

JKinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I think both could fill in for Gags and the hole we might have from the expansion draft.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:06 PM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinCLE View Post
Well I don't know about the NHL playoffs, but he sure as hell handled himself well in the AHL playoffs. 6 GWG's including the Game 3 OT and Game 4 OT Calder Cup Winner and was the playoff MVP.

I have a feeling with Olli and Ski on the the PP now that it's gonna get red hot soon.

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:06 PM
MFRONE

Bjork has at least shown something at the NHL level. I'm still not sure that Milano will ever amount to anything. I realize he's still very young, but there is a reason he's not getting these call ups to the big squad.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:10 PM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I think both could fill in for Gags and the hole we might have from the expansion draft.
I think one of them will fill in for Gagner and PLD fills the expansion hole.

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:21 PM
vertigo1061

I must be the only person not sold yet. He has a great shot, but I've simply got to see more than that in his game at this level. Especially in the defensive zone. I want my skill guys to be as good or better in the defensive zone as they are in the O-zone. He's playing on a line with two very good 2-way guys and I need to see a little more out of him in that area.

vertigo1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:29 PM
JKinCLE
killing time @ work

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo1061 View Post
I must be the only person not sold yet. He has a great shot, but I've simply got to see more than that in his game at this level. Especially in the defensive zone. I want my skill guys to be as good or better in the defensive zone as they are in the O-zone. He's playing on a line with two very good 2-way guys and I need to see a little more out of him in that area.
Thats fair. And its fair that Torts expects that out of him as well. The defensive part of the game can be taught. Offensive skill/instinct, not as much.

JKinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 12:43 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Bjork has at least shown something at the NHL level. I'm still not sure that Milano will ever amount to anything. I realize he's still very young, but there is a reason he's not getting these call ups to the big squad.
I have a feeling Milano is one of those players that will look better in the NHL than the AHL. He needs skilled players that can keep up with his skills. Hopefully he has the hockey sense too.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 04:52 PM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo1061 View Post
Bjorkstrand led the WHL in shorties and was on their #1PK unit, he is a very good defensive player.

spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 05:46 PM
PanarinDangles9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheblackcircle View Post
Bjorkstrand led the WHL in shorties and was on their #1PK unit, he is a very good defensive player.
His play along the boards is also underratedly very good

PanarinDangles9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2017, 07:06 PM
vertigo1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintheblackcircle View Post
Leading the WHL in a stat category and doing it at the NHL level aren't even in the same universe imho. Not to mention that the stat you're referencing is an offensive stat (albeit in a defensive situation). I am not questioning his ability to score, in any situation, but I need to see good plays in the defensive zone; being in the right place away from the puck, 50/50 battles, sticks in lanes, etc.

vertigo1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Kev22

If the Bjorkstrand we get is the one we've seen the past couple of games, he won't be going back to Cleveland. He was awesome last night and got robbed of a goal by Pens Sympathetic Refereeing Syndrome. That's the player I think we all were excited to see. Now the question is can he continue this?

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 09:19 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I like Bjork too. But I don't think his skill level or abilities have ever been the question. Hasn't the knock on Bjork been that his lean frame makes it too easy on opponents to knock him off the puck?

I could be wrong here, not that that would be unusual, but I thought that he needed to bulk up to be more successful at the NHL level.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 09:35 AM
spintheblackcircle
...so that happened.

I think it was SO important for the Jackets to get off a fast start this year, that Bjork being a little tired (maybe) from the long AHL run and then international hockey and not at the top of his game, Torts couldn't wait for him to find his game. He HAD to play Anderson and Sedlak and Gagner because they were playing better and a slow start could have sunk the year again.

spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 09:51 AM
EDM

Bjork has already said that he intends to stay in Columbus for training purposes during the off-season. I am sure that he will add maybe 5-10 pounds of muscle to his frame. And that will make a big difference for him next year. To me it is obvious that he will be with the NHL club next years. The big question will be Milano who, apparently, is out with some kind of injury for some unspecified time. And, no Gangier will not be getting any kind of significant contract from the CBJ.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Crede777
Deputized

I anticipate that Bjorkstrand will continue to develop his two-way game and will be a solid NHL player for the foreseeable future. I anticipate that because he is getting better (noticeably albeit somewhat slowly) at playing well away from the puck.

With Milano, it is a bit harder to say. He is surprisingly difficult to knock off the puck due to his speed and hands (he can shift the puck in order to protect it at a very high rate of speed). That said, when he doesn't have the puck, he is a liability. I am not sure if he will continue to develop his defensive game. So we shall see. I think Milano at the very least can contribute in the same way Gagner currently is.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 01:46 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
His ahl days numbered now, any forward injured and he won't play another ahl game.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote