HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Second impressions of Marty St. Louis (Mod warning in OP)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2014, 10:57 PM
  #101
Harry99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
I love the guy, but he has averaged 40 points a season over the past 5 seasons. Maybe I'm crazy, but no amount of anything else he can do should make a guy with that level of scoring worth over 6 mil a year. Also, this is a MSL thread, I believe there is a Cally thread elsewhere, so I'm going to stop talking about Callahan and stick to the topic at hand.
Cool. MSL hasn't made the Rangers a better team. He has been ineffective at best, harmful at many times. He plays small and doesn't make the players around him better. He looks 39 years old. If we could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him, I'd do it in a second. Boyle, Dorsett and Moore are more effective players than MSL. At least there is only 1 year left on his contract. But I'm guessing Sather will sign him for 2 more years this summer because he's a fricking moron.


Last edited by Megustaelhockey: 03-29-2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: natd
Harry99 is offline  
Old
03-29-2014, 11:00 PM
  #102
Harry99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
I forgot that 3rd liners are more valuable than goal scorers and that's why they get paid higher by NHL GMs.
3rd Liners? LOL. Right now MSL isn't even a 4th liner.

Harry99 is offline  
Old
03-29-2014, 11:07 PM
  #103
Lightningfan24
Is it October Yet?
 
Lightningfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry99 View Post
3rd Liners? LOL. Right now MSL isn't even a 4th liner.
Does AV even know what is their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line? It's so confusing. The only line that we know is the 4th line, and it is the 4th line.

Lightningfan24 is offline  
Old
03-29-2014, 11:43 PM
  #104
Cake or Death
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1979 View Post
Does AV even know what is their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line? It's so confusing. The only line that we know is the 4th line, and it is the 4th line.
Right now I think our 4th line is our first line

 
Old
03-30-2014, 12:38 AM
  #105
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts
 
The Amity Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 9,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
Maybe it's time to sacrifice a chicken...


The Amity Affliction is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 12:40 AM
  #106
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts
 
The Amity Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 9,388
vCash: 500
I wish someone would tell St. Louis that he has no marbles so that when he starts scoring he could do the marbles dance all over the ice.

The Amity Affliction is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 07:10 AM
  #107
Idlerlee
Tanner Nash
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,587
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1979 View Post
Does AV even know what is their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line? It's so confusing. The only line that we know is the 4th line, and it is the 4th line.
Well we had our 1st, 1st, 1st and 4th line pretty much set for large stretches of the season. Then the olympics came and literally screwed everything over, with Zuccs hand injury and the cally trade.

Now AV is playing "Pin the linesmates on the biggest contract". I dislike this St Louis trade more and more every day.

But knowing this forum, all that will be forgotten the moment he deflects a goal into the net. Hopefully it wont be our own

Idlerlee is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 07:36 AM
  #108
Lightningfan24
Is it October Yet?
 
Lightningfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
Right now I think our 4th line is our first line
I know some people had an issue with Boyle, I think he has been very good for what he is suppose to be. I also like Dorsett over Carcillo and Dorsett has earned a spot in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
LOL! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlerlee View Post
Well we had our 1st, 1st, 1st and 4th line pretty much set for large stretches of the season. Then the olympics came and literally screwed everything over, with Zuccs hand injury and the cally trade.

Now AV is playing "Pin the linesmates on the biggest contract". I dislike this St Louis trade more and more every day.

But knowing this forum, all that will be forgotten the moment he deflects a goal into the net. Hopefully it wont be our own
St Louis is going to come around, but I felt adding another play maker to a group who can't all finish except Nash might not of been the best move.

Lightningfan24 is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 08:48 AM
  #109
ImaPuckhead
Registered User
 
ImaPuckhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
It's interesting, here in Tampa Marty was the guy they put people with when they were struggling. His speed and effort pushed his linemates to work harder to keep up with him.

Marty has always had someone else on his line here to spread the defensive focus. He played with Vinny and then with Stammer, and we are seeing just how good Johnson and Palat are.

That being said I would never guessed he would be struggling the way he is now. Like many have said he is too talented to stay in this funk forever, but because of the way he left, I cannot deny the guilty pleasure gained from watching him struggle.

ImaPuckhead is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 10:28 AM
  #110
Cake or Death
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPuckhead View Post
It's interesting, here in Tampa Marty was the guy they put people with when they were struggling. His speed and effort pushed his linemates to work harder to keep up with him.

Marty has always had someone else on his line here to spread the defensive focus. He played with Vinny and then with Stammer, and we are seeing just how good Johnson and Palat are.

That being said I would never guessed he would be struggling the way he is now. Like many have said he is too talented to stay in this funk forever, but because of the way he left, I cannot deny the guilty pleasure gained from watching him struggle.
Yeah, but the Rangers have trouble receiving passes on their tape and hitting wide open nets. I'm joking (not really), but I tend to think he'll come around. Your guilty pleasure is understandable.

 
Old
03-30-2014, 12:17 PM
  #111
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry99 View Post
Cool. MSL hasn't made the Rangers a better team. He has been ineffective at best, harmful at many times. He plays small and doesn't make the players around him better. He looks 39 years old. If we could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him, I'd do it in a second. Boyle, Dorsett and Moore are more effective players than MSL. At least there is only 1 year left on his contract. But I'm guessing Sather will sign him for 2 more years this summer because he's a fricking moron.
I would absolutely love to hear how the bolded is true.

haveandare is online now  
Old
03-30-2014, 12:22 PM
  #112
TheTakedown764
Registered User
 
TheTakedown764's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I would absolutely love to hear how the bolded is true.
I think maybe all 3 combined are better than MSL, in which case, that's just a testament to MSL's talent

TheTakedown764 is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 12:33 PM
  #113
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,052
vCash: 500
It's not such a stretch to suggest that the 4th line has been more effective than MSL. Since the trade, Dom Moore and Boyle have actually outscored Marty - Moore has 2 goals and 4 assists and Boyle has 2 goals and 2 assists dating back to March 5th.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 12:52 PM
  #114
Lightningfan24
Is it October Yet?
 
Lightningfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It's not such a stretch to suggest that the 4th line has been more effective than MSL. Since the trade, Dom Moore and Boyle have actually outscored Marty - Moore has 2 goals and 4 assists and Boyle has 2 goals and 2 assists dating back to March 5th.
So maybe they should put Marty on the 4th line. I mean they tried the top 3 lines already, so can't hurt.

Lightningfan24 is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 01:20 PM
  #115
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It's not such a stretch to suggest that the 4th line has been more effective than MSL. Since the trade, Dom Moore and Boyle have actually outscored Marty - Moore has 2 goals and 4 assists and Boyle has 2 goals and 2 assists dating back to March 5th.
They've been more effective at their roles, which are far less demanding, for maybe half a dozen games. I'll agree to that, yeah, but that's not the same thing as them being more effective players overall.

haveandare is online now  
Old
03-30-2014, 01:27 PM
  #116
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
They've been more effective at their roles, which are far less demanding, for maybe half a dozen games. I'll agree to that, yeah, but that's not the same thing as them being more effective players overall.
They have also managed to outproduce MSL while receiving less ice time and no PP time.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 02:15 PM
  #117
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
They have also managed to outproduce MSL while receiving less ice time and no PP time.
Okay. They've been more effective than him for 6 games. He's been more effective than the three of them combined times ten for the past decade, including this season.

The fact that we're even debating such a ridiculous idea is mind blowing.

haveandare is online now  
Old
03-30-2014, 02:40 PM
  #118
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 6,743
vCash: 500
Marty will find his game. It's a bigger adjustment for him than he probably expected and the Rangers have been pretty good since he got here. Hopefully he can score in the playoffs when it really matters.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 04:11 PM
  #119
3rdlineglory
Korsi Kevin
 
3rdlineglory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mahopac, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Okay. They've been more effective than him for 6 games. He's been more effective than the three of them combined times ten for the past decade, including this season.

The fact that we're even debating such a ridiculous idea is mind blowing.
I always saw it as subtle baiting. Some people will use strawman arguments and cherry picking to bring this place down and then accuse you of testing their fanhood. It's pretty obvious that if Moore and Boyle played against tougher competition they wouldn't be able to have as much success. And it's not like inferior players out produce great players for certain stretches of time. It happens all the time around the league. I guess some people here need to watch other teams other than the Rangers from time to time.


Last edited by 3rdlineglory: 03-30-2014 at 04:20 PM.
3rdlineglory is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 04:16 PM
  #120
AHB*
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
They have also managed to outproduce MSL while receiving less ice time and no PP time.
I don't like MSL, before and after the trade, but in about 10 games this year, MSL has had more goals, assists, points, etc then any of those guys combined all season.


Last edited by Megustaelhockey: 03-30-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: natd
AHB* is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 06:19 PM
  #121
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,456
vCash: 500
Anyone who knows anything about msl knows he's a very driven guy. He's a physical freak and his stats speak volumes about what he can do and has done.

He will come around and when he does get a few hell get a lot.

Tonite would be a good start.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 06:28 PM
  #122
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
I always saw it as subtle baiting. Some people will use strawman arguments and cherry picking to bring this place down and then accuse you of testing their fanhood. It's pretty obvious that if Moore and Boyle played against tougher competition they wouldn't be able to have as much success. And it's not like inferior players out produce great players for certain stretches of time. It happens all the time around the league. I guess some people here need to watch other teams other than the Rangers from time to time.
Blaspheme!!

__________________
WIN NOW
Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
03-30-2014, 09:25 PM
  #123
boltsfan9186
Registered User
 
boltsfan9186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,428
vCash: 60
5 Ranger goals and Marty has no points?

boltsfan9186 is online now  
Old
03-30-2014, 09:26 PM
  #124
aufheben
Global Moderator
 
aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,731
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan9175 View Post
5 Ranger goals and Marty has no points?
Yep. This trade has been like a Franz Kafka novel.

__________________



aufheben is online now  
Old
03-30-2014, 09:28 PM
  #125
boltsfan9186
Registered User
 
boltsfan9186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,428
vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Yep. This trade has been like a Franz Kafka novel.
Is he doing stuff in this game or is he invisible? He hasn't been on the ice for a Ranger goal either? lol

boltsfan9186 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.