Notices

who might've actually come to Calgary for this season

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
who might've actually come to Calgary for this season

The biggest name is Scott Niedermayer. With what he'll be making, it's (mostly) good that he didn't become a Flame, if money was the overriding issue. With the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to speculate that he would've preferred to remain in New Jersey or go play with his brother. His agent wouldn't have been doing his job, if he didn't try to line up as many potential suitors as possible. We can safely say the possibility at least existed.

A few reports came out that some players, who'd been previously-coached by Sutter, had contacted him. (They must still respect his work, and there's an opportunity to join a winning team.) That leads to speculation if there were ever any conversations between Mike Rathje and Sutter. With the FA signing of Hamrlik, there might not have been too many other d-men, who might've been added to the roster.

It's likely that Teemu Selanne's name has been discussed, although there might be more bang for the buck if there's an active pursuit of Vinny Damphousse, who can play all forward positions and probably wouldn't be expecting for a huge payout (he's also a proven playoff performer).

The mystery of the #2 goalie has been settled with the acquisition of Phillipe Sauve. Maybe other names received consideration, before the trade with Colorado and during the uncertainty of Turek's future status. Having only given up a 7th rounder, while ostensibly reducing the backup's salary, was a stroke of good fortune. So, there's really no complaint, as far as that's concerned.

Old
08-16-2005, 09:55 PM
calgarylen13

It was worth opening a new thread for stating the bleeding obvious????

Old
08-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13
It was worth opening a new thread for stating the bleeding obvious????
A better question:

It was worth hijacking a new thread, with sarcasm, to prevent other posters from including names, which we might not have heard?

(Gotta give credit where it's due, at Anze Kopitar's name was inserted into the conversation yet again.)

Old
08-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

just a question, why are you posting who might have come to the flames? Most of the people you mentioned are already signed with another team so what is the point of posting telling people they may have come to calgary when they're obviously not going there, considering they signed a contract with another team?

Old
08-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Leaf
just a question, why are you posting who might have come to the flames? Most of the people you mentioned are already signed with another team so what is the point of posting telling people they may have come to calgary when they're obviously not going there, considering they signed a contract with another team?
After the dust has settled, as the rosters begin to take shape, it's just to speculate about who else might've become a Flame. For instance, there was talk of Sean Burke being the backup.

Old
08-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Miko

Vinny Damphousse would be ok for a one year contract ,then switch Rhino to LW and Kobs or Amonte at RW. Still i feel the best situation would be to let Sutter avaluate the players at camp then move the parts if necessary. Listening and reading about some teams being tight on cap has me pretty convinced there might be a deal soon.

Just an idea to throw out there ,but i'm sure if we had a package of lydman and say weimer or even lombardi would get us a decent player in return.

Old
08-19-2005, 04:43 AM
alanschu

Hmmmm, an odd question.

Isn't it possible that anyone might have been a flame?

Old
08-19-2005, 04:50 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu
Hmmmm, an odd question.

Precisely

Old
08-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Hmmmm, an odd question.

The question was who might've actually become a Flame - a small, but important detail. That would include players, who had real discussions about signing a FA contract or trade rumors.

A while ago there was a thread called "almost Flames," started by me. It was to discuss players who were almost signed or brought in by trade. The idea was so popular that, at least, three other team boards picked up on it. This was just to be variation on that theme but to discuss potential roster moves for the upcoming season.

Quote:
Precisely
Playing off a member who doesn't normally even post here. What a surprise. It's truly amazing that somebody like you, even with your very limited hockey knowledge, would find controversy in a very uncontroversial subject. It's obviously another opportunity for you to hump my leg, as you've done on a few occasions previously (all unprovoked, of course). Since you seem to want to carry on, let's review some of your most recent posts:

With regard to Robert Nilsson -

Quote:
Wanna trade him to Calgary?

Heck I wouldn't be complaining for one second about that signing...sure he's unproven, but time will show it was a great move
The Islanders fans didn't pay much attention to your contribution.

Quote:
Yeah! Points, points, points, thats all anyone cares about! What about the person and his feelings
(Tone Loc voice)
Say what?

Quote:
People seem to forget a minor factor, sure last season we did great in the playoffs, but during the regular season we weren't overly convincing. You need a team which can make the playoffs and be a regular season contender beforehand. Now Sutter obviously recognized this and has made great moves to address it. I think what he's done is great ,and am excited to see what he has up his sleeves. I feel the next 72 hours will see some interesting moves
Nobody forgot that they were predicted by most so-called "experts" to finish near the bottom of the Western Conference. They played .500 hockey with a backup goalie, who was acquired for a 9th round draft pick. The turnaround began with the acquisition of Mikka Kiprusoff.

An astute poster noted on one of the other boards that the Flames are built for the playoffs. Take note. The Stanley Cup is a far more valuable prize than the President's Cup.

Quote:
I'd like to see Arturs Irbe as backup! He's a gutsy Lat!
That got two replies of scorn and ridicule. Maybe Irbe will toil in a Ukrainian vodka league this season.

It gets better...

You criticize me for starting a thread about players, who had a realistic chance of becoming a Flame, yet you engage in fantasy talk.

Quote:
I would love to see this so much! Possibly could be had cheaply (low return) if the Flyers are too far over the cap,

Lydman and Clark for Gagne? I'd love to see that (but i'm dealing Lydman and Clark off for almost anyone in the NHL )
Oh yeah, and your crusade against Chris Clark was duly noted...the first 20 times. Maybe you can clarify what was so wrong with him. Yeah, he had hands of stone but is a great skater who can check. He's a major upgrade over the likes of fringer players, such as Blake Sloan, Scott Nichol and Dwayne Hay.

It's not the only time it happened.

Quote:
My prediction

Simon - Langkow - Iginla
Kariya - Lombardi - Selanne
Nilson - Reinprecht - Donovan
Gelinas - Yelle - Kobasew
Wiemer, Ritchie

Regehr - Leopold
Ference - *Souray
Phaneuf - Warrener

Goalies
Kipper
Turek

*Souray for Lydman and Clark
So you thought there might be another package discount on Selanne and Kariya? Just how was Nilsson going to get onto the roster? We've seen that Gelinas and Turek didn't fit in with the plans, but that wasn't totally unexpected.

You should've posted that Lydman & Clark for Souray proposal on the Trade Rumors and Canadiens boards. The fun would've really begun.

Thank goodness somebody wants to have a serious discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko
Vinny Damphousse would be ok for a one year contract ,then switch Rhino to LW and Kobs or Amonte at RW. Still i feel the best situation would be to let Sutter avaluate the players at camp then move the parts if necessary. Listening and reading about some teams being tight on cap has me pretty convinced there might be a deal soon.

Just an idea to throw out there ,but i'm sure if we had a package of lydman and say weimer or even lombardi would get us a decent player in return.
Yeah, it looks as if the roster is about where it's going to be for the foreseeable future. Since it's getting close, Damphousse's asking price has to be more than reasonable. (Why Colorado went with Turgeon over Damphousse is a mystery.)

Last edited by Badger Bob: 08-19-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old
08-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Orv

This is sort of OT but does anyone think that Josef Stumpel would have been a good fit for this team?? I think he really would have been alright as a 2nd line centre. He's not a Sutter-type player but he is 6'3" 225 so he's not small. Not overly expensive...3.25 over 2 years. I know he's signed now but was I the only one who thinks he would have been alright in Calgary?

Old
08-19-2005, 11:33 PM
alanschu

It's impossible to say what players any team had real talks with however.

Did you guys hear on the Grapevine about Amonte and McCarty? I only remember hearing about Hamrlik when it was pretty much a done deal.

Same goes for Pronger/Peca in New York, and almost any other free agent signing IMO.

There are the Jason Allison's and Eric Lindros' that we all knew were talking with the leafs, but it's still hard to say which players the flames (or any other team) spoke with.

Old
08-22-2005, 10:39 AM
ukstipe

Quote:
Hmmmm, an odd question.

Brilliant observation, einstein. Lets work the mind a bit and consider that it is possible that some players might have been MORE likely to come to the Flames than others. Bondra was not coming. Selanne was a possibility given how cheap he would come and prior relation to Sutter.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:32 PM
kruezer

This thread has run its course I think.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:34 PM
chriss_co

congrats on ur promotion kruezer

Old
08-22-2005, 08:37 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
congrats on ur promotion kruezer
Thanks, now if only I could get the close thread command to work.

Closed Thread