I know it doesn't do anything and it probably doesn't fit under the cap but I thought it could be fun to wonder what could have happenned with some foreseeing from our gm and it´s also fun to constate that those are all moves that could of been avoided pretty easily.
1. Definitely draft Claude Giroux instead of David Fischer
2. Don't trade Mike Ribeiro for garbage.
3. Don't trade for Scott Gomez (I don't care for who)
4. Draft Dustin Brown instead of Andrei Kostitsyn (Draft anybody else in that first round)
5. Draft Travis Zajac instead of Kyle Chipchura
6. Draft Kristopher Letang instead of Guillaume Latendresse
7. Draft Milan Lucic instead of Ben Maxwell
8. Don't trade Max Lapierre for scraps
9. Don't trade for Kaberle (I don't care for who)
10. Don't let Mark Streit walk
11. Don't trade Jarro Halak for non roster players 1 month before the draft.
12. Don't trade a 1st pick for Tanguay.
13. Draft Adam Henrique instead of Danny Kristo
14. Draft Chris Kreider instead of Louis Leblanc.
Rangers should trade McDonagh for Rene Bourque. Gomez's contract hurt us enough. Watching Ryan joining the elite class of NHL defenders in Rags is too much. If only he was 38 already, the pain would go away in couple of years.
Since drafting is a crap shoot too often, I think you would have to limit this to trading mistakes.
1 - Don't trade McDonough and Higgins for Gomez
That's it folks... This is one of the worst all time trades. Just imagine McDonough and Subban on the top pairing
I will never understand how we not only took that ridiculous contract from the Rangers, but we also gave up a top pairing defenceman for him. That trade should have been Higgins for Gomez straight up, and the Rags should have been overjoyed we rid them of the contract.