HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussions - Part III - Montreal's Masterton nominee

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2014, 10:58 AM
  #351
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Yeah, Galchenyuk is behind last year production and he's -14...that's working well
Plekanec is on this way for one of his worst season offensively in career...that's working well...
And i can name about every player on that team like that.

In fact, when you say it's working for everybody....you mean it's working ONLY for those getting on that line with this kind of ice-time.

How about finding another center able to take SOME defensive mission...so that Plekanec won't be bogged down in offensive assigment like you said. Cause Plekanec won't be used like that if our first line would be able to take care of SOME defensive mission.

I know....let's put 2 kids in Galchenyuk and Gallagher on with Plek, so they can get bogged down in defensive mission instead....that's working for everybody
Yeah and that is all because DD is stealing their lunch money.

All DD's fault. That man can't do anything right.

PKtrollban is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:03 AM
  #352
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
They want DD gone for a soiled jock strap that's what they wanted before his extension, and are still now. They think he holds no value (yeah a guy won't have any value in the middle of a 20 games slump, DUH, they'll base that belief on Pierre Lebrun's tweets from end of November).

Right now he's worth every penny and Habs won't trade a 50-60 points center who's only paid 3.5M, that would be completely idiotic.
Nope, i'll speak for myself.....i wanna see Galchenyuk in an offensive role as soon as possible.

Unless you think Galchenyuk is a 30pts player, winger, playing either on a shutdown line or on a grinding line with 3rd line players like Bourque or Prust.

I know let's keep DD....and let Galchenyuk in a bottom line role for 2-3 more years with bottom line players. Even better, let's put him on the wing against the thoughest competition with Plekanec.

That is just great developement.....for a top 3 pick....who should've been a first overall

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
  #353
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
That is so not true. Pleks plays against the other teams best line but he also gers the more icetime for a forward on the team.

Plekanec also didn't play with scrubs all season. He played with Gionta Galchenyuk Brière Bourque and sometime even Eller and Vanek. Neither of them was better playing with Plekanec.
My post was in reference to the 2011-2012 season where he did play with scrubs for virtually the whole season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
It is normal he gets the toughest match up. My question is : are all the best offensive player that good defensively ? Because it sure looks like it the way the Plekanec line seems to always struggle putting points on the board.

Ex. Why doesn't he produce more against the Ovechkin line ? Yes they are threat offensively but they are also the most exploitable line in the NHL. Yet he doesn't do that.
Well starting in your own zone against those lines doesn't help you produce even if they are weak defensively. But this is the biggest reason we actually should give Plekanec a guy like Pacioretty. Pacioretty is our best player at driving possession, if we drive possession against top lines it's great we are not only generating scoring chances but we are shutting down the opponents best line at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Some stat I'd be interested to see is also the d pairings against the Plekanec line. I know for a fact he plays against the best offensive line of the other team. But does he play agains the best D-men . Because if I was a nhl coach I would surely oppose my best D to the greater scoring threat and that is not Pleky's line.
I haven't checked since we got Vanek but before then the teams top defenders played more or less evenly against the Plek/DD lines at ES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
My point there are pros and cons playing against the other teams best line and none of them justify a 45 point season for the forward with the most icetime.
So 45 points is unacceptable for the guy asked to shutdown the opponents top line, while starting in the defensive zone over 60% of the time and only getting leftover PP time but somehow 53 points is great for the guy who gets the best wingers, the most sheltered role and the most PP time?

Sorinth is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:28 AM
  #354
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Ahh, didn't see they weren't updated.

Still, that's only an extra 48 face-offs in the offensive zone.

I don't think 48 face-offs is a huge game changer - even if he shouldn't be taking them. Especially with the very few times we actually score off a face-off without regrouping. Especially with Desharnais' putrid face-off numbers there. You can't find an exact number, since that doesn't count him being thrown out or being an extra skater. But even still, that's only 19 extra possessions due to starts. Plekanec should take those draws for that reason alone. And that's on the coach to figure out.
Depends what you mean by game changer, 24 extra times that your in the offensive zone with possession seems like it's worth a few points. And all though there's no stat for it we know that not all faceoffs are created equally. If the opponents 4th line ices the puck then it's going to be DD taking it, if the opponents put out their top shutdown unit then chances are someone else will take it because we'll try to break the matchup.

Zone starts are just one aspect that explains the difference. The quality of the competition is another, PP time is another, linemates is another. Even if none of them are a game-changer in themselves, if they're each 2-3 points then it adds up and we are talking around 10 points which is a pretty big deal.

We don't have to take it all away from Desharnais but take some of it from him to help the others get going seems like the best course of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
In fact, Plekanec has more offensive zone starts with the puck than Desharnais. So offensive zone starts aren't actually a positive for Desharnais. In fact, Eller has more initial puck possession off the faceoff than Desharnais too.

Desharnais is a beast on faceoffs on the power-play, in the neutral zone, and he's okay the defensive zone. He's actually terrible in the offensive zone. Without exact numbers, he's probably around 40-45%. Yikes.

That's on the coach for not adapting though- doesn't make Desharnais a bad player. Also proves he produces despite not being able to use those faceoffs to an advantage.
Which is what we are saying. DD should get less o-zone starts and Plekanec/Eller should get more. DD's not a bad player, but when people look at the point totals and use that to claim he's clearly better than anyone else we have then it's simply wrong.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:29 AM
  #355
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Yeah, Galchenyuk is behind last year production and he's -14...that's working well
Plekanec is on this way for one of his worst season offensively in career...that's working well...
And i can name about every player on that team like that.

In fact, when you say it's working for everybody....you mean it's working ONLY for those getting on that line with this kind of ice-time.

How about finding another center able to take SOME defensive mission...so that Plekanec won't be bogged down in offensive assigment like you said. Cause Plekanec won't be used like that if our first line would be able to take care of SOME defensive mission.

I know....let's put 2 kids in Galchenyuk and Gallagher on with Plek, so they can get bogged down in defensive mission instead....that's working for everybody
Oh sorry, I thought the goal here was to WIN.

Sorry your favorite mancrushes' stats are messing up your pool. Life is though. I'm sure the players themselves are miserable at the prospect of winning a round or two (or three).

Continuing to rant about the current lineup, in present circumstances, is simply insane. There is clearly nothing that could satisfy you or the few remaning DD haters.

Not The One is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:50 AM
  #356
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Oh sorry, I thought the goal here was to WIN.

Sorry your favorite mancrushes' stats are messing up your pool. Life is though. I'm sure the players themselves are miserable at the prospect of winning a round or two (or three).

Continuing to rant about the current lineup, in present circumstances, is simply insane. There is clearly nothing that could satisfy you or the few remaning DD haters.



/thread.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:55 AM
  #357
Gally11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
This, you see, is exactly the sort of dumb criticism that most DD-defenders are sick of.
Every time I say it he gets better so I'm saying it a lot for rest of season

Gally11 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:56 AM
  #358
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Oh sorry, I thought the goal here was to WIN.

Sorry your favorite mancrushes' stats are messing up your pool. Life is though. I'm sure the players themselves are miserable at the prospect of winning a round or two (or three).

Continuing to rant about the current lineup, in present circumstances, is simply insane. There is clearly nothing that could satisfy you or the few remaning DD haters.
I'm not talking about this year either.
We got what we got now and we'll go with it in the PO.

But keeping Galchenyuk away another year from an offensive role and keep playing him as we did in the last 2 year would be universally stupid. You were the one advocating not to trade DD in the near future cause he's earning every penny of his contract.

But keeping DD means: no offensive role at center for Galchenyuk
And keepind DD means: Pacioretty absolutely need to play on his left wing

And it all means: keeping Galchenyuk from an offensive role on an offensive line and playing him on a shutdown line or a grinding line for 3 years in a row. That would be awesome, right? Unless Pacioretty stop crying about playing with his BF and he start to play against harder competition.....

Let's destroy another kid's confidence

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:56 AM
  #359
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
Every time I say it he gets better so I'm saying it a lot for rest of season
Oh yhea. I remember you said something like that earlier...

Sorry

PricePkPatch* is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:59 AM
  #360
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Nope, i'll speak for myself.....i wanna see Galchenyuk in an offensive role as soon as possible.

Unless you think Galchenyuk is a 30pts player, winger, playing either on a shutdown line or on a grinding line with 3rd line players like Bourque or Prust.

I know let's keep DD....and let Galchenyuk in a bottom line role for 2-3 more years with bottom line players. Even better, let's put him on the wing against the thoughest competition with Plekanec.

That is just great developement.....for a top 3 pick....who should've been a first overall
Right now, DD is a better centerman than Galchenyuk.

He is a better playmaker, he is more consistent, makes better decisions, is better defensively.

Galchenyuk will have to prove himself to be better than DD to earn his spot. Nothing is a given in the NHL. When the goal is to win of course.

I'm all for Gally centering our 1st line but he has to show more than what he's showing this year. Defensively he's at Brière's level or worse. And you want him centering our 1st unit. Pathetic.

PKtrollban is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
  #361
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
I'm not talking about this year either.
We got what we got now and we'll go with it in the PO.

But keeping Galchenyuk away another year from an offensive role and keep playing him as we did in the last 2 year would be universally stupid. You were the one advocating not to trade DD in the near future cause he's earning every penny of his contract.

But keeping DD means: no offensive role at center for Galchenyuk
And keepind DD means: Pacioretty absolutely need to play on his left wing

And it all means: keeping Galchenyuk from an offensive role on an offensive line and playing him on a shutdown line or a grinding line for 3 years in a row. That would be awesome, right? Unless Pacioretty stop crying about playing with his BF and he start to play against harder competition.....

Let's destroy another kid's confidence
This is the NHL, not kindergarten. Skills should dictate the depth chart, not drafting ranks. If Gally has his confidence destroyed, he needs to find a psychologist and quickly learn to play in the Big Boys league.

If DD's so bad he shouldn't have any problem outplaying him. RIGHT ?

DD's stealing Galchenyuk's lunch money now. That was unexpected. The way I see it this year Galchenyuk is miles away from being a good center, he's a liability in the defensive zone, he gets decked easily (turns / pivots in the wrong direction). Of all our prospects he's got the most raw skills but needs to round up his game.

PKtrollban is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:28 PM
  #362
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
Right now, DD is a better centerman than Galchenyuk.

He is a better playmaker, he is more consistent, makes better decisions, is better defensively.

Galchenyuk will have to prove himself to be better than DD to earn his spot. Nothing is a given in the NHL. When the goal is to win of course.

I'm all for Gally centering our 1st line but he has to show more than what he's showing this year. Defensively he's at Brière's level or worse. And you want him centering our 1st unit. Pathetic.
What's pathetic is those blabering about something we never really saw.....and that's Galchenyuk at center.

Oups, i forgot...last year when he started the year at center and putting up 8 points in 13 games (ALL 5-on-5 points) with Prust and Gallagher and being at +7.

Of course, if the kid can do that in the first NHL games ever and he's a +7...that screams bad defensively, not as good of a playmaker.

Having said that.....this a classic case of overrating....i agree that i might underrated DD....but if you think for one second that he's better than galchenyuk...you forgot that in his first NHL season he outproduced DD.

I never saw DD put the move like Galchy did, i never ever saw DD beat a player one on one in open ice with slick move. Galchy got a hell of shot too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
This is the NHL, not kindergarten. Skills should dictate the depth chart, not drafting ranks. If Gally has his confidence destroyed, he needs to find a psychologist and quickly learn to play in the Big Boys league.

If DD's so bad he shouldn't have any problem outplaying him. RIGHT ?

DD's stealing Galchenyuk's lunch money now. That was unexpected. ]The way I see it this year Galchenyuk is miles away from being a good center, he's a liability in the defensive zone, he gets decked easily (turns / pivots in the wrong direction). Of all our prospects he's got the most raw skills but needs to round up his game.
Lol, but then again you didn't even saw him at center this year.....

He's a liability in his own zone WHEN PLAYING AGAINST TOUGHER COMPETITION WITH PLEKANEC.....But DD never played that kind of competition, all his coaches barely trusted him in D-zone starts.

But he wasn't last year with his +7....of course he was sheltered back then....just like DD is right now.

But you're right, let's Galchenyuk outplayed DD on a defensive line opr a grinding line before giving him his chance.....that work perfectly well with Eller!!

How the **** can you develop an offensive center, in a defensive role on the wing?
He would be better playing in Hamilton

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:29 PM
  #363
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
I'm not talking about this year either.
We got what we got now and we'll go with it in the PO.

But keeping Galchenyuk away another year from an offensive role and keep playing him as we did in the last 2 year would be universally stupid. You were the one advocating not to trade DD in the near future cause he's earning every penny of his contract.

But keeping DD means: no offensive role at center for Galchenyuk
And keepind DD means: Pacioretty absolutely need to play on his left wing

And it all means: keeping Galchenyuk from an offensive role on an offensive line and playing him on a shutdown line or a grinding line for 3 years in a row. That would be awesome, right? Unless Pacioretty stop crying about playing with his BF and he start to play against harder competition.....

Let's destroy another kid's confidence
It's actually funny when you look at it that way. I just don't want to see any crybabies when Lars and Galchenyuk do not develop into the players we think they can be....and Pleks driven into the ground. I've never seen a team handcuff themselves for a marginal player. We're unwilling to switch DD to wing....but will switch Galchenyuk and Eller to wing. We're unwilling to take DD off the 1st line but will scratch Briere and Eller and toss em on the 3rd and 4th lines. A giant cluster ****.

If DD is so amazing, lets trade him and get some pieces that will improve the team. This offseason would be the perfect time to trade him.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:32 PM
  #364
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Sell high, they say

pine* is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:43 PM
  #365
Ghetto Sangria
The implication
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
I'm not talking about this year either.
We got what we got now and we'll go with it in the PO.

But keeping Galchenyuk away another year from an offensive role and keep playing him as we did in the last 2 year would be universally stupid. You were the one advocating not to trade DD in the near future cause he's earning every penny of his contract.

But keeping DD means: no offensive role at center for Galchenyuk
And keepind DD means: Pacioretty absolutely need to play on his left wing

And it all means: keeping Galchenyuk from an offensive role on an offensive line and playing him on a shutdown line or a grinding line for 3 years in a row. That would be awesome, right? Unless Pacioretty stop crying about playing with his BF and he start to play against harder competition.....

Let's destroy another kid's confidence
Keeping Ryan Johansen away from an offensive role for the first two seasons of his career really brought him down eh? I mean look at him now. What a scrub! Playing him on the RW and 4th line C really ruined his development!

Take off your Chuckie colored glasses and realize the kid isn't ready to take on that load now. There is nothing wrong with that! He is barely 20 years old and skipped a full season of development. Keep in mind that Chuckie didn't play center in his last season in junior either. It's obvious he was drafted to be a center, but he's the 5th best on on this team in terms of an offensive role (as of now).

This won't ruin him. If he has the drive that we think he has, he will eventually earn his place there. Therrien made him play the center position right out of the gate. He isn't holding him back just because... it's one of the few things I agree with MT... the kid is just not defensively ready yet.

Ghetto Sangria is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:44 PM
  #366
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Maybe he would've gotten more. I'm not sure but you're presenting good arguments. Maybe I'm too hard on Plekanec's offensive ability. I think he and DD are about equal but maybe not judging by what you're presenting.

Regardless it doesn't change the fact Pleky won't be in an exploitation role anyway.
In the past with the closest set of circumstances he produced more, so shouldn't the onus be on you to explain why he can't do that again if given the same role?

And he put up those numbers while still being a top defensive player he never had an exploitation role like DD does. He still played a lot on the PK, still went out against top lines. It was a 2-way role which is exactly what he should be playing now instead of the shutdown role he now occupies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Many talk about putting all our eggs in one basket with a DD line but if DD is indeed inferior by that margin and can fit in as he has, it liberates our better offensive center in plekanec doesn't it? Isn't that opposite of all your eggs in one basket. Vanek on the line works but it worked even before that. That's not a DD thing at all, it's an MT thing. DD produced either way.
You have a very strange definition of liberate. DD doesn't liberate Plekanec to have an offensive role, it forces him to play way too much of a defensive role so that Desharnais can remain in an exploitation role.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 12:56 PM
  #367
PKtrollban
PK for Norris
 
PKtrollban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's actually funny when you look at it that way. I just don't want to see any crybabies when Lars and Galchenyuk do not develop into the players we think they can be....and Pleks driven into the ground. I've never seen a team handcuff themselves for a marginal player. We're unwilling to switch DD to wing....but will switch Galchenyuk and Eller to wing. We're unwilling to take DD off the 1st line but will scratch Briere and Eller and toss em on the 3rd and 4th lines. A giant cluster ****.

If DD is so amazing, lets trade him and get some pieces that will improve the team. This offseason would be the perfect time to trade him.
Well, you're the crybaby 'round here.

Eller is grossly overrated, and Gally is only 19 YO.

Pleks is a professionnal and knows his role perfectly. He's signed long term and will get resigned if he performs well in his role. He made the NHL not with offensive talent but solid 2-way play. He ain't going to cry out loud because he knows he's very important to the team. Only YOU are crying that he gets his linemates stolen by DD (lawl). Plek's role is as important as DD's, if one or the other don't do their job, the team's not winning.

DD's not a marginal player, he produced and proved himself at every level. Putting Eller in his shoes now I'd think the management would handcuff themselves for a marginal player, he just dosen't have the right offensive instincts to run a scoring line. DD's proving once again that he's able to produce despite his shortcomings (maybe that's why you think he's a 'marginal' as in 'smaller' player).

DD's as marginal as you are a 'marginal' fan. At his cap hit any sane Habs fan would want him a keeper for the remaining years of his contract. Or would you rather have a 5-6M per year producing the same ##s ? Get real.

PKtrollban is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:19 PM
  #368
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Keeping Ryan Johansen away from an offensive role for the first two seasons of his career really brought him down eh? I mean look at him now. What a scrub! Playing him on the RW and 4th line C really ruined his development!

Take off your Chuckie colored glasses and realize the kid isn't ready to take on that load now. There is nothing wrong with that! He is barely 20 years old and skipped a full season of development. Keep in mind that Chuckie didn't play center in his last season in junior either. It's obvious he was drafted to be a center, but he's the 5th best on on this team in terms of an offensive role (as of now).

This won't ruin him. If he has the drive that we think he has, he will eventually earn his place there. Therrien made him play the center position right out of the gate. He isn't holding him back just because... it's one of the few things I agree with MT... the kid is just not defensively ready yet.
Let's say that i agree with you...

How will he become ready and better at center if we didn't give him time to do so?
Normally, that's why we played them in Hamilton.

But you talked about Johansen....he took 2 year in a bottom role and he even produce at a lower rate than Galchenyuk....look at him now, he didn't have to earn his spot, we gave it to him....after 2 years.

Having said that....i already stated multiple times that i wouldn't have a problem with Galchenyuk on the wing of Desharnais either.

The fact is those kids don't need to play tough minutes to get get better.
They need to be put in the position we want them to evolved in.

The reason Galchenyuk got in the NHL at 18 wasn't because of his defensive skills, it was because he's an offensive juggernauts......use him accordingly.

You wanna make him learn the defensive side of being a center....send him back to Hamilton on the first line playing 20-21 minutes a game....then he'll learn.

You can'T learn being good at faceoff without taking some faceoff
You can't learn playing guitar with a drum.

Call me crazy, but i really don't see why Galchenyuk is good enough to play on Plekanec's wing, getting the toughest match-up and hardest competition available and somehow he's not ready to play center in a hugely sheltered role.

Right now, Galchenyuk is playing thougher minutes than Patches-DD-Vanek.

Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 01:36 PM
  #369
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
Well, you're the crybaby 'round here.

Eller is grossly overrated, and Gally is only 19 YO.

Pleks is a professionnal and knows his role perfectly. He's signed long term and will get resigned if he performs well in his role. He made the NHL not with offensive talent but solid 2-way play. He ain't going to cry out loud because he knows he's very important to the team. Only YOU are crying that he gets his linemates stolen by DD (lawl). Plek's role is as important as DD's, if one or the other don't do their job, the team's not winning.

DD's not a marginal player, he produced and proved himself at every level. Putting Eller in his shoes now I'd think the management would handcuff themselves for a marginal player, he just dosen't have the right offensive instincts to run a scoring line. DD's proving once again that he's able to produce despite his shortcomings (maybe that's why you think he's a 'marginal' as in 'smaller' player).

DD's as marginal as you are a 'marginal' fan. At his cap hit any sane Habs fan would want him a keeper for the remaining years of his contract. Or would you rather have a 5-6M per year producing the same ##s ? Get real.
Let's not call the smallest center to step foot in the NHL in 20 years marginal.....

He's marginal cause:
He can't play on a shutdown line.
He can't play on a energy line.....
He can't play on a grinding line....
He can't play on a two way line...
He can't blocked shot....
He can't play physical....
He can't shoot....
He can't play on the PK....
He's not a puck possession player.....
He's not a forechecker....
He's not a goal scorer.....

That what make him marginal......

How good or usefull will he be if he gets anything else than top scorer or offensive ice-time? (See the first 20 games for your answer)

Let say. Galchenyuk magically steal his place and linesmates........what we'll do with DD?

And by the wasy... Galchy is 20...


Last edited by Milhouse40: 03-31-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Milhouse40 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 02:04 PM
  #370
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
He's been scoring lately, and he's our best passing C, he plays with our two best scoring wingers.

you'd think its pretty straight forward to grasp the logic behind it...

but what annoys me here is that no one ever mentions how his frame is enough to let him go without a decent return and how he's ''bad'' solely because the coach puts him on the ice to score goals and because he's small. Its like complaining about ovechkin because there are other players that are on the ice for the last minute when caps are up a goal... it doesn't take away what he brings to the table.

so far he has impressed me winning board battles and I'd take him any day of the week over a guy like Eller who despite a bigger frame struggles to get out with the puck.

THE HOFF is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 02:13 PM
  #371
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
Well, you're the crybaby 'round here.

Eller is grossly overrated, and Gally is only 19 YO.

Pleks is a professionnal and knows his role perfectly. He's signed long term and will get resigned if he performs well in his role. He made the NHL not with offensive talent but solid 2-way play. He ain't going to cry out loud because he knows he's very important to the team. Only YOU are crying that he gets his linemates stolen by DD (lawl). Plek's role is as important as DD's, if one or the other don't do their job, the team's not winning.

DD's not a marginal player, he produced and proved himself at every level. Putting Eller in his shoes now I'd think the management would handcuff themselves for a marginal player, he just dosen't have the right offensive instincts to run a scoring line. DD's proving once again that he's able to produce despite his shortcomings (maybe that's why you think he's a 'marginal' as in 'smaller' player).

DD's as marginal as you are a 'marginal' fan. At his cap hit any sane Habs fan would want him a keeper for the remaining years of his contract. Or would you rather have a 5-6M per year producing the same ##s ? Get real.

Put aside your lust for DD for a second. What would you do with our other centermen next yeaar? We have Eller, Galchenyuk, Briere, Plekanec, DD. That's 3 centers for 5 top 9 spots. Who do you trade/move to a different position to make life easy for DD?

I have never heard of a good team putting the development of their top prospects on hold for a player of DD's ilk. You think we can contend with DD as 1st line center. You seriously believe this?

I'm all about developing the young talent with upside on this team. I don't care about now. I care about the future. Want this team to contend for years to come. Not to win a playoff series and fade away.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 02:20 PM
  #372
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
He's been scoring lately, and he's our best passing C, he plays with our two best scoring wingers.

you'd think its pretty straight forward to grasp the logic behind it...

but what annoys me here is that no one ever mentions how his frame is enough to let him go without a decent return and how he's ''bad'' solely because the coach puts him on the ice to score goals and because he's small. Its like complaining about ovechkin because there are other players that are on the ice for the last minute when caps are up a goal... it doesn't take away what he brings to the table.

so far he has impressed me winning board battles and I'd take him any day of the week over a guy like Eller who despite a bigger frame struggles to get out with the puck.

DD wins the occasional battle. He's actually bad along the boards and it has to do with his size. Lars is a much stronger player along the boards. Some of these posts are getting ridiculous now. If you want to say DD has better vision and a better passer than Lars. Fine. But all these other false claims to put him above Lars are laughable. Just the other day you had people saying he was smarter than Plekanec. When will this nonsense end?

And no. it's NOT like complaining about Ovechkin. Ridiculous

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 02:23 PM
  #373
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Let's not call the smallest center to step foot in the NHL in 20 years marginal.....

He's marginal cause:
He can't play on a shutdown line.
He can't play on a energy line.....
He can't play on a grinding line....
He can't play on a two way line...
He can't blocked shot....
He can't play physical....
He can't shoot....
He can't play on the PK....
He's not a puck possession player.....
He's not a forechecker....
He's not a goal scorer.....

That what make him marginal......

How good or usefull will he be if he gets anything else than top scorer or offensive ice-time? (See the first 20 games for your answer)

Let say. Galchenyuk magically steal his place and linesmates........what we'll do with DD?

And by the wasy... Galchy is 20...
Absolutely nothing. If we don't re-sign Vanek and Max gets injured or slumps. What do we do with DD? He can't play any other role. But he's great! He will get every opportunity to win his job back. It happened this year and will happen the next time he struggles. If he's not playing with the 2 best wingers he's pretty much useless. Yea. There's a guy with a future! We should build around him!

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
  #374
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
He's been scoring lately, and he's our best passing C, he plays with our two best scoring wingers.

you'd think its pretty straight forward to grasp the logic behind it...

but what annoys me here is that no one ever mentions how his frame is enough to let him go without a decent return and how he's ''bad'' solely because the coach puts him on the ice to score goals and because he's small. Its like complaining about ovechkin because there are other players that are on the ice for the last minute when caps are up a goal... it doesn't take away what he brings to the table.

so far he has impressed me winning board battles and I'd take him any day of the week over a guy like Eller who despite a bigger frame struggles to get out with the puck.
The logic behind splitting Vanek/Pacioretty is that it makes it harder for opposing teams to matchup against us.

Right now if we play Boston in the playoffs Chara is going to be out there for virtually all of Pacioretty & Vaneks ice time. Put them on seperate lines and one of them doesn't face Chara the whole game.

you'd think its pretty straight forward to grasp the logic behind it...

Sorinth is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 02:59 PM
  #375
Mario Lemieux fan 66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's actually funny when you look at it that way. I just don't want to see any crybabies when Lars and Galchenyuk do not develop into the players we think they can be....and Pleks driven into the ground. I've never seen a team handcuff themselves for a marginal player. We're unwilling to switch DD to wing....but will switch Galchenyuk and Eller to wing. We're unwilling to take DD off the 1st line but will scratch Briere and Eller and toss em on the 3rd and 4th lines. A giant cluster ****.

If DD is so amazing, lets trade him and get some pieces that will improve the team. This offseason would be the perfect time to trade him.
Lars Eller is as marginal as Desharnais if not more. Eller top potential is a two way 55 points center.

Desharnais top potential is a 65 points Producer who is already sign on a cheap contract. You will not find an upgrade on Desharnais for the same price. The upgrade you will find on Desharnais in the UFA market will cost 3 millions more for 15 more points. It's a really poor value for a marginal upgrade. Habs should be looking for an upgrade on Bourque, Brière and on defence before thinking of moving Desharnais. Small player are underated and Desharnais value to the team is far greater than is trade value on the market.

What player do you think Galchenyuk can be ? I see him at his prime as a 55-75 points producer place in perfect conditions. I have Desharnais as a 50-65 points producer place in perfect conditions. There is not a lot of difference for me between the 2 in term of offense production.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.