HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden To Florida?

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 07:19 AM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Redden To Florida?

Just heard on the Fan 590 this mourning (7:40 update) that the hot rumour going around is Redden to Florida to free up cap space to resign Hossa and Chara to long term extensions.

If this is true who do think would be comming back the otherway.

Old
08-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Methot Man
The Rhythm Methot

There is an article in the Ottawa Citizen today stating that Florida, Los Angeles and Detroit are all possible destinations for Wade.

The only name mentioned as a player coming back to Ottawa is Mike Van Ryn. We better get more than that!

The link is as follows...you need a subscription to read it, which I don't have.

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawac...4-ee5a5c872f88

If trading Redden means we can sign Hossa and Chara to long-term deals I'll be supportive of the move...hopefully we get a good young cheap player back and some high draft picks.

Old
08-17-2005, 07:58 AM
chara

No surprise that Florida is mentioned. Keenan missed out on Pronger and Martin developed Redden.

I would hope that any package with the Panthers would include one of Steven Weiss or Anthony Stewart. Personally, I would want Jay Bouwmeester or Nathan Horton but they're probably untouchable.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Methot Man
The Rhythm Methot

Anthony Stewart...good call.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:02 AM
boredmale

i would think Bouwmeester would come back personally

Old
08-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Egil

Media speculation. We are not trading anybody at this point.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:16 AM
miser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
No surprise that Florida is mentioned. Keenan missed out on Pronger and Martin developed Redden.

I would hope that any package with the Panthers would include one of Steven Weiss or Anthony Stewart. Personally, I would want Jay Bouwmeester or Nathan Horton but they're probably untouchable.

Any two of the following: Weiss Stewart Jokinen

Old
08-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Roy G Biv*

A) The Citizen based the rumours on "rumblings from hockey world" = hfboards= Eckklund

B) We will not be getting anything more than Van Ryan for a player who will be a UFA next summer

C) Either we go for it all this year and suck net year OR Semi-go for it this year and next year

Old
08-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Egil

You don't lose players for nothing in the UFA market, you make trades with it. If we lose Redden for "nothing" at the end of the year, we then have money to sign a replacement (and their are numerous options that we could replace Redden with if necessary). Their is no point in downgrading early to get what we can. Van Ryn isn't better than a UFA we can sign next summer, so no point in making that trade.

But the key is to view the UFA market as a trade, we trade Redden for XXXX, and off we go. And I still don't see many big contracts next summer. Who is going to have room?

Old
08-17-2005, 08:40 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
But the key is to view the UFA market as a trade, we trade Redden for XXXX, and off we go. And I still don't see many big contracts next summer. Who is going to have room?
NYR and Toronto have a bunch of 1 year contracts, or contracts that end next season. Beyond that Buffalo and Washington are in a good position to sign players if they want to.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
You don't lose players for nothing in the UFA market, you make trades with it. If we lose Redden for "nothing" at the end of the year, we then have money to sign a replacement (and their are numerous options that we could replace Redden with if necessary). Their is no point in downgrading early to get what we can. Van Ryn isn't better than a UFA we can sign next summer, so no point in making that trade.

You make a valid point. However I think that the money that will be saved from Redden leaving will be used to sign Chara, Hossa, Spezza, Havlat.

So in fact, we will not be replacing Redden.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
NYR and Toronto have a bunch of 1 year contracts, or contracts that end next season. Beyond that Buffalo and Washington are in a good position to sign players if they want to.
I see Toronto signing one of Hossa, Chara, or Redden next summer. They will offer near league max for one of them.

They desperately need a number 1 D-man and a top line scorer.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:49 AM
It Kills Me

I'd like Horton and at least a pick coming back.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:51 AM
boredmale

the main problem for Ottawa if they don't tie up 2 players now, team alot of cap rooms(ala toronto and ranegrs) will feast on guys like Chara, Redden or Hossa since they are the only ones left.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:54 AM
The HW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
You make a valid point. However I think that the money that will be saved from Redden leaving will be used to sign Chara, Hossa, Spezza, Havlat.

So in fact, we will not be replacing Redden.
We'll be 'replacing' Redden -- if he's the one to go -- with Volchenkov, Meszaros, and ultimately Lee. We HAVE TO lose one of our key players next summer in order to hope to retain the rest of them. There's no way around it, unfortunately.

IMO, we keep them all this year. Then we lose one or more next summer; if one, then hopefully we can re-sign our other key players. If we lose two, then we lock up the other guys long-term and go shopping for a supporting cast.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
I see Toronto signing one of Hossa, Chara, or Redden next summer. They will offer near league max for one of them.

They desperately need a number 1 D-man and a top line scorer.
None of those guys are worth the league max, and I don't see any of them getting signed for near it. The only one that possibly may, and only because of recent blow ups in the Nash and Lecalvier contracts is Hossa.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:11 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

I think Chara could provoke a bidding war if he isn't lined up by the Sens, depending on his season this year.

He's a unique commodity in the league. A massive specimen who can actually skate and put up points.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
We won't be getting Jay, Horton or Stewart I'm sure. Which is dissappointing..I'd like a quality young player in return. If it's straight up for Mike Van Ryn, we lose out BIG time.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:26 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
While I don't believe Redden will be traded at all, IF he was traded, the return would be based off of whether or not he would sign long-term with the team that traded for him.

Pronger got a very solid young defenseman, and 2 good prospects in return and he had a bigger salary. IF Redden was traded, I'd expect atleast one good, young defenseman in return, and preferably not Mike Van Ryn.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Pangu

Yeah I would think that one of Horton, Stewart or Bow will be added. Bow by himself, or Stewart with a Van Ryn type. I don't think that Van Ryn, or anyone other than those prospects and Luongo, would be worth very much to our team. We don't need 2nd liners or worse. We need stars in the making or stars. So if we are going to lose Redden that we ought to be getting a star in return.

If Florida feels that Van Ryn won't stay long term than moving him and a star prospect for Redden may make quite a bit of sense. They probably feel that they can get Redden long term and their GM is not known for his patience.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
We won't be getting Jay, Horton or Stewart I'm sure. Which is dissappointing..I'd like a quality young player in return. If it's straight up for Mike Van Ryn, we lose out BIG time.
I think Horton & Bouwmeester are out, but Stewart may not be. There was a Stewart/Van Ryn deal put forward on the trade boards that I think would actually be quite a good return on Redden right now - especially if it means Hossa and Chara sticking around long-term.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:57 AM
nneate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
We won't be getting Jay, Horton or Stewart I'm sure.
Then they won't be getting Redden. They have to give up something in order to gain, if they don't want to part with it then fine, theres plenty of other clubs we could get a nice return from.

Old
08-17-2005, 12:15 PM
I am Jack's Fish

Send a message via AIM to I am Jack's Fish
Jokinen was made available to the Blues when the Panthers were trying to work out a deal for Pronger.

Old
08-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Creemore

I have to agree with the other posters... Horton and Bow are out of the question... and Jokinen although he would look great in a Sens uniform it defeats the purpose of trading away Redden to open up cap room to sign the other guys...

I think if Florida was the team to pull the trigger on this deal at the very least we would obtain Stewart and some mid range defensemen and maybe a journyman NHLer or a low draft pick... the same formula that saw pronger leave for the Oil...

Old
08-17-2005, 06:59 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

How about Jokinen, Stewart and Myers or a pick. We don't need another defenceman coming the other way we have enough good young defencemen in our depth chart to manage. What we do need is size and grit and both Stewart and Myers bring that, McCardle would also be an interesting choice.

I doubt that they part with Redden just to sign Hossa, although anything is possible these days. If you had to choose between these two who would you keep? I would keep Hossa only if he signed a long term deal, minimum of 3 years. I would then deal Redden to Chicago (Bell), Florida (Jokinen), Nashville (Hartnell) or Carolina (Cole) for one of the guys above and a top 5 prospect or 1st/2nd round pick. If Hossa would not sign long term than I would deal him for the same packages above.

Next year Smoke, Varada and de Vries would be moved, again for whatever we could get for them including prospects or picks. There money goes to sign the guys we need to keep. Hasek may also be gone depending on how he does this year. The following year, one of Alfredson or Chara or Hossa or Phillips may also be gone and the same rule applies, get what you can in terms of team needs along with picks and prospects and keep improving our depth and team. Remember, Bochenski, Eaves, Kaigorodov, Meszaros, Lee, Seydoux, Mirnov, Wick ect.. will eventually be ready to start gaining experience at the NHL level.

Closed Thread