HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers interested in Redden?

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2005, 08:50 AM
wint

vCash: 500
Panthers interested in Redden?

From today's Ottawa Citizen...

...The name of the 28-year-old defenceman was being bounced around the hockey world yesterday as speculation began that the Senators might try to trade him before the season starts...

...Teams believed to be in the mix include the Florida Panthers, now coached by former Senators coach Jacques Martin, the Detroit Red Wings and the Los Angeles Kings...

...Sending Redden to an Eastern Conference team wouldn't be ideal, but the Panthers have something to offer in defenceman Mike Van Ryn, 26. He was the New Jersey Devils' first draft choice (26th overall) in 1998 and was second in scoring for the Panthers in 2003-2004 with 13 goals and 24 assists...

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawac...4-ee5a5c872f88

The Sens will have to move Hossa, Redden or Chara in the next year no matter what, and I'm sure Jacques Martin would try to convince Keenan to get him if possible, so it's reasonable to think that the Panthers are at least inquiring.

This would be HUUUGE for Florida. He's one of the best defensemen in the league and an ideal mentor for Bouwmeester. Something like Van Ryn, Krajicek/Novak and a pick for Redden would make this offseason an enormous success IMO.

Old
08-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Clash*

Panthers gettin Redden would be the best thing for Bouwmeester. Redden is the reason Chara has developed to where he is and gets the recognition, imo

Old
08-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Chaos2k7

Am I the only one that thinks that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg with Van Ryn? IMO, I think Van Ryn will be as good or better than Redden. One for one would be okay in the short term for sure but I see Mike as a rising star especially when you consider that the same coach that developed Redden, Phillips, Chara, etc. is now in Florida.

Lateral move at best in two seasons. Plus we would have to pay Redden big money now, meanwhile Van Ryn is already rumored to be wanting to sign a longer term contract for less money.

I'd pass. But for a Krajicek + Pick, I'd do it. Remember Ottawa is forced to dump one of the three players just to get under the cap and save their first rounders.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:30 AM
wint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHaos2k
Lateral move at best in two seasons. Plus we would have to pay Redden big money now, meanwhile Van Ryn is already rumored to be wanting to sign a longer term contract for less money.
Over the last 4 years, Redden has averaged 42 points and a +22. He is the leader of a very good Ottawa defense. Last year he contributed 17 goals. He's a bona fide top 4 defenseman on Team Canada. Money-wise, he'll be expensive, but he's due under $4 million this year, and he should come in lower than the Niedermayers/Prongers of the world for any long-term deal.

Do you really think Van Ryn will improve enough to make this a lateral move?

Old
08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
As much as I like Van Ryn, I like Redden a lot more. Plus, Redden has the tools already, while Van Ryn is still devloping. We have enough development occurring on our blue line corps.

I definitely would do this trade.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Chaos2k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wint
Over the last 4 years, Redden has averaged 42 points and a +22. He is the leader of a very good Ottawa defense. Last year he contributed 17 goals. He's a bona fide top 4 defenseman on Team Canada. Money-wise, he'll be expensive, but he's due under $4 million this year, and he should come in lower than the Niedermayers/Prongers of the world for any long-term deal.

Do you really think Van Ryn will improve enough to make this a lateral move?
Van Ryn: 79GP 13G 24A 37P -16

Do I think he can make up 4-5 points? Uh yes, yes I do. +/- is a reflection on the team. And I think it's safe to say Ottawa had a "slightly" better team than us when we last played.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that with a years experience and a heck of a lot more leadership on this team that Van Ryn cannot match his numbers?

It's not that big of a stretch. Actually I was a little surprised for a 5 million dollar defenseman, (then) that Van Ryn was not blown away completely.

Last edited by Chaos2k7: 08-17-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old
08-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
If Ottawa were to be willing to trade Redden to FL, you can bet they'd be asking about Anthony Stewart in addition to Van Ryn. Remember that Mike isn't as proven so he doesn't command that much in trade value.

And I know I'm not the only one that thought about this:
http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=50

Old
08-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Acadmus

I don't see why we bother talking about a trade. Once we broached the rumor that the Panthers were interested in Redden we pretty much guaranteed that the Panthers won't get him. Just like Pronger, Mogilny, and now it seems Lesyschyn (damn, that IS hard to spell - so I guess I don't care that it's wrong ). And whoever else.

In fact, were there any rumors related to the guys we did sign? I never heard any.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Bytown

What i have heard is this.

To Florida
Smokes
Redden

To Ottawa
Stuart
Van Ryan

Old
08-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Chaos2k7

Ahhhhh, pass.

And Pass.

EDIT: TSN.ca is reporting that the Sens would like a Pronger type package. If it costs Van Ryn, Stewart, Plus that is a horrible deal for the Panthers. So again. Pass.

Last edited by Chaos2k7: 08-17-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old
08-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Bytown

Not many if any would pass on redden he is just going to get better.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:46 AM
SensItComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Panthers gettin Redden would be the best thing for Bouwmeester. Redden is the reason Chara has developed to where he is and gets the recognition, imo
How is it possible that Chara developed because of Redden? Outside of watching him practice Chara only shared the ice with Redden on the powerplay.

That said however: Redden has always been a class act here in Ottawa and has always been a great team guy. Martin will be heavily lobbying Keenan to make the move.

IMO - with or without Redden, Ottawa will still have a monster defense BUT I'm going to hate to see him leave. I think that Ottawa will be looking for both Stewart and Van Ryn but will have to settle for Stewart and high draft picks.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Chaos2k7

It's not like Redden would throw us over the top and make us Cup Contenders.

Why would Florida mortgage the future for a player that throws the team pay scale out of whack and on the whole isn't as good as the combined pieces that would be going the other way. It wasn't for Pronger and it's definently not for Redden.

But I do think there would be a team willing to pay that much. Just not us.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:51 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
If there was a way to get Redden and KEEP Van Ryn, that would give us a VERY solid top four, IMO. Prospects, picks, I never have a problem dealing those. Take Novak, take Kraj. It would be great to get Redden here without giving up one of our actually GOOD D-men. I just feel we need to add to our blueline instead of interchanging them because that third pairing still scares me.

Old
08-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Bytown

You have to give up to get.

Old
08-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2005
What i have heard is this.

To Florida
Smokes
Redden

To Ottawa
Stuart
Van Ryan
Stuart? WHO??

Old
08-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Keenan would have to cough up Bouwmeester to get Redden. Unless you mean its the best thing for Bouw to get outta Florida

Old
08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensItComing
How is it possible that Chara developed because of Redden? Outside of watching him practice Chara only shared the ice with Redden on the powerplay.

That said however: Redden has always been a class act here in Ottawa and has always been a great team guy. Martin will be heavily lobbying Keenan to make the move.

IMO - with or without Redden, Ottawa will still have a monster defense BUT I'm going to hate to see him leave. I think that Ottawa will be looking for both Stewart and Van Ryn but will have to settle for Stewart and high draft picks.
You don't always have to be paired on the ice to be an influence to a player. Rhett Warrener was thought to bring a lot of guidance to the Calgary defense in '03-'04 and he wasn't paired with the other six defensemen. Just one.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
Keenan would have to cough up Bouwmeester to get Redden. Unless you mean its the best thing for Bouw to get outta Florida
Ya know, I said Bouw would be the price for Redden, but I was told I didn't have a clue or something to that effect. But the same was said to me when I said Pronger would cost Bouw plus others, which he would have as Bouw alone couldn't bring in Chris. But the best thing for a lot of these young kids is to get out of Florida. Just ask all the kids who have progressed once they left. Jovo and Rhett bein two.

Old
08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Georgia Panther

Every Day Of The Week And Twice On Sunday...

Would I trade Van Ryn and Stewart for Redden?

Old
08-17-2005, 06:47 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther

Would I trade Van Ryn and Stewart for Redden?
I'm a fan of VanRyn & I think Stewart could possibly be better than Horton (i picture Horton's potential dropping with more injuries) BUT, i'd do this trade in a second. Even more so if Smolinski is supposedly included.

Old
08-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Crossbar

With the Stumpel signing, a trade for Redden could very well happen.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Remax

I think that it would be a bad idea for florida to get rid of Van Ryn, eventhough I really like Redden. I think if the panthers were able to offer a few prospects (besides stewart and olez) and/or a few picks then it would be definately worth it. If however they do have to trade Van Ryn to get Redden I would like to see something that most people would call insane or say that it would never happen in a trade that looked something like this.

to florida
Redden
Spezza

to ottawa
Van Ryn
Nederost or Kolnik
Kwiatkowski
3rd or 4th Round Pick

Old
08-18-2005, 11:09 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax
I think that it would be a bad idea for florida to get rid of Van Ryn, eventhough I really like Redden. I think if the panthers were able to offer a few prospects (besides stewart and olez) and/or a few picks then it would be definately worth it. If however they do have to trade Van Ryn to get Redden I would like to see something that most people would call insane or say that it would never happen in a trade that looked something like this.

to florida
Redden
Spezza

to ottawa
Van Ryn
Nederost or Kolnik
Kwiatkowski
3rd or 4th Round Pick

It'd probally take at LEAST that to get Redden, JUST Redden.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:10 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Oh and since the Redden trade rumors were just that, RUMORS.

We can move on to the next guy whose probally not coming to Florida.

Closed Thread