HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

NHL 15 GM MODE-ONLY Wishlist

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Tak7

vCash: 500
NHL 15 GM MODE-ONLY Wishlist

I know there's a big community of people here that love playing GM mode. I'm curious: what sort of things would you like to see introduced into the game.

I'll get things started off:

1 - No trade clauses; would really add to the level of immersion in the game.

2 - More dynamic player negotiations for contracts; I wish I could influence some players better than others to accept low ball contracts and such. The 20-25% rule is overused and boring now. A better relationship between term and salary would be nice too - I give you more years, so you should save me some money, not the other way around.

3 - Salary indicator before they hit free agency. Would be nice to know how much your 87 overall center is expecting before July 1st, so you can budget and make moves necessary.

4 - More late round gems in the draft. Make those 4th - 7th round picks actually worth something for a change.

What are some of yours

Old
03-30-2014, 01:51 PM
iFishyHD
#KesselWatch DONE

Give me 30 minutes to edit this with a huge ass detailed list.

Old
03-30-2014, 01:52 PM
ToppsSmith

I would like to see suspensions added for dirty hits. Make it so you may loose a player for more than just a game for being filthy.

Agree on needing more Gems in the draft. Make your scouts mean something. So far in all the years I've played in 14 I've only signed two 7th round picks, and they were 2.5 yellow star players. I don't want it to go the other way though, where you end up getting one every year, but It would be nice to find one every once in a while.

Old
03-30-2014, 02:08 PM
kingsboy11
retake the throne

The ability to hire and fire coaches. You don't have to have real life coaches, but you can hire like a coach with a particular style that would work well with your team.

Old
03-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Good list by the OP.

Not sure if this thread applies to GMC or not, but since they're both pretty similar I think a lot of the suggstions would apply to both.

Player Progression needs to be more consistent. Sure you get the occasional player who breaks onto the scene with 1 great year(Guys like Drayson Bowman, Justin Falk, etc do this in NHL 14), and sure you get the occasional Elite prospect who struggles to develop well(Tomas Hertl, Sean Monahan, etc. in NHL 14). But the normal patterns should apply to 90+% of players regarding progression, and the abnormal progressions should be very rare.

Drafting and Scouting could be improved. Both for GM and GMC. Late round steals should be a part of the game. And you should be able to Scout specific players, as well as specific leagues and what not.

This one is specific to GMC, but I think they should expand on the Sim lengths from 2 Weeks to 1 month. In GMC leagues that are fairly active, you could get through a Months worth of games in potentially just 4 or 5 days. 2 Week increments make things somewhat limited in the speed a league can go through seasons.

Trading - In Both GMC and GM you cant trade during the time period of June 25th - June 30th. This IMO is a must fix for next season. Its already almost impossible(Actually it pretty much is impossibly) to know how much your upcoming UFA/RFA's are going to want before the Late June Resign period. As it is right now, you cant make any trades during this time frame and can only sign guys or let them walk. This is the perfect time to trade a players rights if you think they're asking for too much.

Coaching Firing/Signing - I like the idea of firing or signing a new coach and I think it could be expanded on to even a GM. Before you start a new GM/GMC you get a list of 5-6 coaches that you can choose from to sign. Each coach has his play style, and personality style listed to choose from. You can choose the coach you think will best represent the team you want to be.

Lots of good ideas in here so far. Really hope EA implements a couple of them for next season.

Old
03-30-2014, 03:55 PM
23Eddie11

- Real Trainers

- Players can speak to you (Like Fifa)

Old
03-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Tak7

Regarding the 2 suggestions about coaching - I've been on this idea since NHL 12 and would love to see it implemented.

It doesn't need to be anything specific, or with real coaches (although Madden uses real ones). But it would be neat if you could hire a coach who, for example, could give you a 5% improvement on your team's defensive play or your penalty kill if you were a team that struggled defensively.

Or, if you were a team that struggled to score, maybe go after a coach that had a +10% offense on powerplay or something like that; not necessarily direct multipliers but just potentially able to improve certain areas that you struggle on.

You could bundle a bunch of skills into one coach.

For example:

COACH A:

+ 5% Penalty Kill training
+ 10% Defensive Zone Coverage training
+ 5% Young player development

-5% Powerplay training

COACH B:
+5% Powerplay training
+10% Goaltender development
+15% Neutral zone coverage

-15% Young player development

etc.

Nothing major, but would add an element of placing importance on who your team's coach is.

Let me know your thoughts regarding coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Eddie11 View Post
- Real Trainers
Care to elaborate?

Must admit that when I'm thinking about immersion and improving GM mode, training is almost the last thing I would ever consider.

Old
03-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Regarding the 2 suggestions about coaching - I've been on this idea since NHL 12 and would love to see it implemented.

It doesn't need to be anything specific, or with real coaches (although Madden uses real ones). But it would be neat if you could hire a coach who, for example, could give you a 5% improvement on your team's defensive play or your penalty kill if you were a team that struggled defensively.

Or, if you were a team that struggled to score, maybe go after a coach that had a +10% offense on powerplay or something like that; not necessarily direct multipliers but just potentially able to improve certain areas that you struggle on.

You could bundle a bunch of skills into one coach.

For example:

COACH A:

+ 5% Penalty Kill training
+ 10% Defensive Zone Coverage training
+ 5% Young player development

-5% Powerplay training

COACH B:
+5% Powerplay training
+10% Goaltender development
+15% Neutral zone coverage

-15% Young player development

etc.

Nothing major, but would add an element of placing importance on who your team's coach is.

Let me know your thoughts regarding coaches

That was pretty much exactly what I had in mind as well.

If they used real coaches, an example of two coaches could be:

Patrick Roy:

+10% Player Development
+10% Goaltending
+5% Offense

-5% Powerplay
-5% Penalty Kill

Peter DeBoer:

+5% Goaltending
+15% Defense
+5% Penalty Kill
+5% Physicality

-10% Player development
-5% Offense

It'd be a great application to GM Modes. You could also include things like Coaches who are players coaches, a coaches sportsmanship, a coaches heart/accountability, etc. Which could all play minor effects on the style of a team.

Old
03-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Tak7

^I like it.

Just a basic, small, minor bonus that is almost ignorable over the big picture, but still adds an element of "hire a coach" to the entire GM process.

The other thing I would like to see added - some media feedback, etc.

I really like the introduction of the "twitter-feed" type of thing in GM mode, but it would be so much cooler if they had some generic fan feedback or media feedback coming in instantly - giving feedback on your team's recent results, or a trade you just made, or some "mild abuse" if things are going terribly.

Again - all in the name of immersion and realism.

Old
03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
Trap Jesus

Better and more in-depth statistics

This is an absolutely massive part of the game if you play GM Mode for simulation purposes, or even otherwise.

- Giving stats for a player beyond the 4 or 5 years or whatever it is should be first and foremost. The way it's done just seems lazy. It's been a while since I played GM mode TBH, but I don't believe they even show what team they accumulated those stats on.

- I'd like to be able to track the other leagues they have in the game as well, not just for individual players, but for how the teams are doing as well. For scouting purposes, it would add so much more immersion to the game if I could see that Dal Colle is having a great series against the Steelheads while it was going on, let alone after the fact.

- Advanced stats. This might seem like a novelty, but they have almost everything built into the game already. If you look at the pause menu in-game, they have where all faceoffs take place, shot locations (both for where on the ice the shot came from and even where on the net it went), and of course they track blocked shots as well. Hell, they even track zone time. I believe "missed shots" is the only key ingredient they're missing to really allow them to explore the realm of advanced stats in the game, but I'd have to think that would be easily remedied.

I'd say most people who play GM mode would absolutely love it if they could track Corsi, zone starts, Fenwick, etc., as most people who play the mode, especially for simulation purposes, are nerds for stats. It might seem like a lot to ask for, but as I said before, so much of what they'd need is already built into the game to make it a more accurate depiction of advanced stats than you can even provide in real hockey.

As is always the case, NBA 2K is the benchmark for how things should be done. If you haven't played it I recommend you at least check it out. They track all the advanced stats, complete stats for players careers, game and career highs for players, hot and cold streaks.. Honestly, everything. Can you imagine an NHL comparable for that?

Last edited by Trap Jesus: 03-31-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old
03-31-2014, 11:35 AM
Tak7

Great post Trap.

I really like the idea of advanced stats.

Regarding player stats - correct;

1 - The game does count total career stats, but doesn't count individual years or teams beyond the 4 or 5 years. Would be nice if they provided more yearly stats AND what teams those stats were from.

2 - I'd really like a player transaction history type page; like a Wikipedia page. Once you get deep into a dynasty, it's easy to forget what trade involved the 2nd round pick that you used to draft your top 4 Dman that is now starring on a cup winning team.

Would be nice if you could, for example, just simply click on the player and see that:

*He was a 2nd round (42nd overall) pick by the Vancouver Canucks in 2015 that was acquired from Tampa Bay in a deal that was made involving Henrik Sedin. ETC.

Old
03-31-2014, 12:48 PM
oaklandbylloyd

As much as i like the whole star/color potential, I think it should be revamped to make drafting/developing more fun and exciting

Old
03-31-2014, 07:55 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screeeeech View Post
As much as i like the whole star/color potential, I think it should be revamped to make drafting/developing more fun and exciting
What sorts of changes would you implement?

Personally I really like the current drafting setup. I like that you have a fairly good idea of how good a player a kid is going to become when they are 18 or 19, but there's enough randomness and influence on ice time, success, and player position in order to add a bit of variability.

Also, I like the star color changes that occasionally happen, but I'd like to see it go the other way occasionally too - a red or gold star potential player improving or upgrading their color every now and again, rather than it just being a downgrade all the time.

Old
03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one bothered by the limited yearly stat lists

Lots of good ideas floating around here, it's a shame that no one from EA would even think about putting them in the game.

Old
03-31-2014, 10:26 PM
ProbertKocur

If Crosby could stop ending off the year with 70 points or less that would be great. So stupid how the Art Ross winner usually sits around 80 points every year. The goalies save percentages throughout the year are also ridiculous.

Old
03-31-2014, 10:30 PM
Tankadelphia
All Hail Ghost Bear

I wish they would get rid of the potential system altogether and just have potential got drafting. Once this happens, it goes away. Id rather the development of my players to be kinda a surprise/random

Old
03-31-2014, 10:35 PM
LilySmoov

The main thing I want to see fixed is player progression and attribute effects. Late round picks are virtually worthless, and it takes years upon years to have even most 1st round picks in the NHL, effectively making developing a player in the NHL range from either impossible and pointless to actually detrimental for both the prospect and the team.

The whole mode is pretty embarrassing, frankly.

Old
03-31-2014, 11:19 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Revamped game engine in which attributes matter. I want two completely different teams to play completely differently.

Revamped simulation engine. I should be able to notice when I replace Jonathan Toews with Patrick Kaleta.

"Swap Goalie" hot button on calendar screen (and more streamlined menus in general). I envision an "Edit Lines" engine whose main screen is identical to what exists now. However, when selecting a position to replace, you can immediately select from all signed players in your organization (sorted by position). If you select an AHL player for an NHL line, the player is automatically called up upon exiting line editing. If you select an NHL player for an AHL line, the player is automatically sent down upon exiting line editing. Streamlined.

Revamped scouting system. Even the best scouting team should have no more than about 75% accuracy when projecting players.

Take player progression off rails. Player development should have a TON of different factors (CHL vs AHL vs NHL, coaching, veteran mentors, etc.), and very few prospects should be a sure thing. All attributes should be possible to develop. Players should develop differently every play-through.

Take the draft off rails. It should be possible to execute trades, save the game, etc. at any point during the draft, even *gasp* in the middle of a round. Leave the current draft engine just for fantasy draft.

Take the trade deadline off rails. Make it dynamic, with a countdown clock.

It should be possible to view trade offers for players on the trade block.

It should be possible to view multiple trade offers simultaneously.

CPU trade blocks should update more frequently.

Fix the glitch where sometimes draft pick trade values appear incorrectly on the trade screen.

Get rid of the trade value bars. Replace them with numbers. I want to know if I'm proposing a decent trade, rather than having to try to add 4 different bars to each other and hope.

Trades should play out in real time. See NFL Head Coach for a great system. Once you enter a trade proposal for a player, all other teams interested in that player are also in the room. Each team submits bids on that player, while the team trading the player away eliminates offers it doesn't like. If you're the team trading the player away, you should be able to field multiple bids and reject them for multiple reasons like "Not enough value" or "Offer different players" etc.

Free agent bidding should be in real time. See NFL Head Coach for a great system. There is an overall clock that counts down. Each free agent has his own clock, forcing the user to decide which free agents to pursue as priority. The user can view which teams are still in the running for each free agent and place bids from the main free agency screen.

Add the "real money" attribute to SPCs. Make contracts with lower "real money" than AAV more desirable to trade for.

Implement the entire CBA as it relates to SPCs. This also solves the problem of having to "auto-fix" rosters because of salary cap issues at game startup.

Fix the GM Brain's waiver decisions. Legitimate prospects and top players should never be waived.

Add line chemistry and make it develop over time. It should have a variable cap that depends on player style and position.

Add individual player hot streaks, cold streaks, and morale.

Add team morale.

Add line matching to the strategy section.

Add training and development camps.

Make the default injury settings realistic.

Streamline the process of manually replacing injured players, or vice versa when the injured player returns to the lineup.

Remove "playable" versus "non-playable" injuries. It should be the user's decision every time. Attribute penalties and risk of reinjury/aggravation should be high for injured players.

Add IR and LTIR.

Revamp the GM attributes. There should be more than 4 customizable attributes for a GM. Include abilities and traits.

Add all major staff positions - amateur and pro scouting departments, head coach, assistant coaches, goaltender coach, assistant GM, minor league affiliate head coach, medical staff, training staff, etc. Each of these should have abilities and traits, and be hireable and fireable.

Add mid-season contract negotiations.

Revamped attribute system (think more RPG-like, with stats, skills, abilities, traits, etc.). I want to have significant variations between players. This is the biggest deal to me. Players should have a few physical attributes (strength, speed, vision, etc.), skills (slap shot power, passing, etc.), abilities (such as "One Man Breakout" - when the player carries the puck from behind his net all the way out of the defensive zone, his speed, puck control, and deking are increased by 5 for 5 seconds), and traits (such as "Penalty Kill Specialist" - This player receives a 5 point bonus to shot blocking and defensive awareness when shorthanded). Right now every player is more or less the same, with just small attribute variations which don't even matter because the game plays/sims the same regardless. This would also be pretty nice to have in Be A Pro.

Off the top of my head, anyway. I'll probably come up with more later.

Old
04-01-2014, 12:19 PM
RCola88

I pretty much want the GM mode on NBA 2k14 on the X1 to be put in to NHL 15. Such a good game mode. I love the financial aspect, and how it shows your profit and how it varies from team to team. To bad EA will never do it... I'd never stop playing if they did

Old
04-13-2014, 06:45 PM
vilyzz

EA listen! These are my thoughts for NHL 15 gm-mode. I would be very grateful if you could just read this and think if some increases are possible.

1. PLAYER PROGRESSION: I could talk about this so long. You should make new player progression system. As for now it is like players over 27 yrs dont progress. Thats so dumb. Why on earth progression should have some edge on 26-27 yrs. IMO that just has to be updated. Make it so that the players could actually progress no matter what age they are. There are always late boomers (franzen, fasth) and in the game theres just no way that could be happening. There is the line and that pisses me off. If you want to keep your star rating it would be pretty nice to have it like if player is on "streak" cold or hot, he could progress or get worse. And make it so there could be some later round gems like in the 6-7th round. In the real nhl pavelski, datsuyk etc. And make it so there is a possibility for the star amount to change. Like 4.5 star could get to 5 or 4 make it to 3 straight connected to the amount of ice time he is getting and points and other things. Nothing like 1 star players get to 5 stars really often or anything but rarely. As for now all the times you draft 6-7th round it's kind of useless. You dont get anything out of them just because potentials cant change. I remember back in the NHL 12 you had that A-E potential system and that was cool because sometimes you could find someone in later rounds because potentials change. Some intermediate would be cool. Another thing if youve ever played gm-mode, you know that players in later years, they get like 99 shot or 99 passing. Then you will see those players with 65 poise or aggresiveness or discipline. Those things just never get better and its bigger problem in like 3 yrs in cause of players start from 60 or so. That is just not realistic. Another thing, players like mcdavid, reinhart etc. they start from the 60s 50s. Mcdavid is like the next crosby and reinhart(sam) is like top 5 pick from next year. Why wouldnt you make them, by that I mean all the top prospects like low 70s mid 70s. That would be more realistic than for now.

2.ANIMATIONS: Yes thats extra work and yes not everyone want to actuallly watch them but why on earth there is no single animations in NHL 14? It could be really fun to watch drafts and awards and everything. Thats kinda OT but sometimes you dont even get to watch your live the life guy lifting stanley cup. That is something we need. In gm-mode thats not a huge problem but still you only have that stanley cup ceremony going same way all the time( boring to watch). Come on!

3.COACHES: Why there is no opinion to hire or fire a coach. That could be so cool if added in the game. You dont necessarily need to make real coaches but just that you could hire new coach if old one starts losing. And also the coaches could have some features like temperament, strategies, experience. Thats just little extra but really, is that so hard to make.

4.DRAFTING: You should really improve drafting in NHL 15. In nhl 14 you cant see the stats anywhere. Thats just lazy that you couldnt put it on the game. And it would be very nice if you could add in some kind of combine where you could look at the results and all that good stuff if you want.

5.CONTRACTS: Do you know how hard it is to know what kinda contract your players want before you go to the resign stage. You would think that 81 ovrl. player 23 yrs old 4.5 red star potential would want something about 2mil, wouldnt you? In fact that he could jump you dont know if he wants 4-6 or 2-3 mil. before you are actually there. Thats just stupid and could cause some salary cap issues and other stuff and off course it pisses me off.

Finally these are just my thoughts and I am big fan of gm-mode and I wanna see whole new gm-mode coming in NHL 15. I know Im lazy and I have some grammatical issues just because Im not speaking english at my mother language. But I hope that you can get the point (and I hope that the EA can get the point). But really only thing I can do is speak because I dont have programming skills needed and Im lazy as hell. But you guys can help all gm players with sharing your own opinions and I really hope EA sees this message.

Old
04-13-2014, 07:40 PM
CerebralDevil

Scouting- I believe there should be more than one scout on one specific position in one league. GM should be able to hire scouts for all leagues and divisions. I like the feature of scouting specialties and weaknesses, up to the GM to hire certain scouts.

Negotiations- should be able to do this all year long with players anytime. If there is a player who wants to test the UFA market, the GM should be able to discuss with players. If player is going to UFA, then GM can have that decision to trade at the deadline.

Call ups- only have limited call ups from the AHL like it is in the NHL. Depends on LTIR or emergency call ups which should be in the game.

Trade demands- should be in the game

Hire/Fire coaches- I like what was mentioned earlier posts

I think there should be fatigue factors also especially for goalies. Playing certain goalies or young players it should have a fatigue factor on how they perform over a period of time.

Attendence and concessions/hockey apparel- depending on how seats are sold and concession/jersey sales factor your status as a GM
Fans- if they are upset with the team performance they should boo loudly and shown strong frustration. On the flip side for a thriving team the fans should show how excited they are for their team ie; sales.
If a team is not good the arena should be noticeable with empty seats and poor sales

Old
04-14-2014, 09:50 PM
BestPlayerAvailable
RIP Ed Snider

Offseason training camp similar to NBA 2k's. You earn points throughout the year and in the offseason you can send your players to camps to improve attritubes. For example you can boost their overalls in speed, shooting, checking, or untap their potential.

Old
04-15-2014, 02:47 AM
LeighDx13

Some things completely different from what your saying, but I'd like the overall presentation to be upgraded.

-Have the ability to retire the numbers of players who are worthy. I wish they would also let you choose what game you want to retire the number and have a mini-presentation of the banner being raised up into the rafters.

-Opening night should be special, I would like the see them announce the players one by one like they do in real life.

-The Stanley Cup celebration should be longer. Have the Cup passed from player to player with their stats posted underneath them while they lift the Cup.

-EA should give us the option to try to get the Winter Classic/Stadium Series game and allow you to pick your opponet and venue and everything. Would be nice if they brought in baseball and football stadium venues to use and update them with a hockey rink in the middle.

-Fans should be louder and quicker to celebrate a goal during the Playoffs than they are in the regular season.

-The horn/goal song should go off even in the overtime period.

-They should also have coaches faces scanned for the game. Babcock looks like Hitchcock in the current game and it makes zero sense.

Old
04-15-2014, 05:31 AM
berglund
go

Players with Hot and Cold streaks in GM mode.
No trade clauses and players who request trades.
More in depth drafts. More steals and busts.
Fix the amount of games goalies start.
Young players less useless. It shouldn't take 3-4 years for just one player to play from a draft.
Actual faces for the generated players. Sort of how you have a face in Live the Life.
Player to Play chemistry and 3 man line/PP chemistry.

But the biggest thing, player development. The star potential is terrible, each column should have it's own sort of potential. Having all player types develop into the same basic players makes the game very boring. I wasn't even a huge fan of the A,B,C for each section potential but it was a lot better than stars.

Also, I don't agree with adding coaches unless they bring nothing to the team. You don't actually pay money in GM mode so you'd just hire whichever coach has the best stats.

04-15-2014, 03:33 PM
vilyzz

Izzys idea about the developement is good, because the physical category will never get up there. And in senses category it's like only off. awareness gets better. There will be no more players with poise above 75 when your over 15 yrs in.

Closed Thread