HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

NHL 15 GM MODE-ONLY Wishlist

Old
06-17-2014, 08:39 AM
UncleRisto
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
The amount of moves that happen on TDL/draft is far too small. I just had a deadline with zero (0!) trades.

UncleRisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Draft depth is the biggest issue.

They're pretty close for the first draft (with the latest updates). I generally view 3.5 stars as the cut off for a useful player. Rarely ever see a 3 star potential player break 80.

The issue being after the first two drafts you will pretty much never see a 3.5 red potential player after pick 40.

The first draft has quality throughout. You can get 4 star red potential players in the fourth round, and some high floor low ceiling guys late, but even it should have one or to "legit" players after round 5. They seem to know this is a "reasonable" starting level, but their draft class creation system never reaches this level of depth again.

This should be easy to do. look at draft histories. see how many players come out of each round, and make sure your draft class engine creates an adequate number of players.

There should always be almost 1-2 players for each of the back 4 rounds that develops into an NHL'r each season, and 1-2 of these players (4-8 players) should develope into an impact player (top 6)

that's my biggest peeve anyways.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 03:19 PM
The Rage Kage

More nhl ready players in the draft as well, it doesn't have to be every season but I find that for five years, no one is nhl ready, then in one draft the whole top 10 are, then another five years, no one nhl ready and then the next top 10 are. Just kinda annoying

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Screeeeech

vCash: 450
- Late round gems (EA already added the feature of colour changing, but they should add star changing. Say if I draft a 2.5 star guy in the sixth round and he goes back for his two junior years and has at least 90+ points, there is no reason why he shouldn't be 3.5 star prospect. Then maybe he has a good rookie season in the AHL and then jumps up to a 4 star player)

- CHL and European league stats

- More Scouting tips (Maybe if you have a guy playing in Europe on the 4th line, maybe your scout can let you know if he's better for his development playing top minutes in the AHL)

- Coaches

- Contract Extensions

- Potential (colour) change more often

- All-star weekend

- Individual year-to-year progress tracker

- Free Agency changes (Maybe not being able to see a players potential until you sign him, sort of like the draft)

- Reasonable salary demands

- Better in-draft menu (View the players statistics from previous seasons, see every individual stat in each category, scout review, and if his stock has been rising/falling)

Thats all I can think of for now

Screeeeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Tak7

Screech - of all the issues in GM mode, I wouldn't have free agency anywhere near the top.

What's your concern with potential being shown? On the contrary, I think players who go to free agency in real life have their relative ability and upside pretty well known across the league.

Potential being hidden / skewed at the draft is more realistic (difficult to project players). But in free agency, I think it's a pretty well known characteristic of a player.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Habsfannick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Screech - of all the issues in GM mode, I wouldn't have free agency anywhere near the top.

What's your concern with potential being shown? On the contrary, I think players who go to free agency in real life have their relative ability and upside pretty well known across the league.

Potential being hidden / skewed at the draft is more realistic (difficult to project players). But in free agency, I think it's a pretty well known characteristic of a player.
Free agency should be near the top. It's no way similar in the game to in real life because theirs no frenzy about it in real life bidding wars happen and guys get horribly overpaid. That aspect has to be in the game for it to feel real.

In reality they should have torn the whole thing to the ground and started fresh

Habsfannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:46 PM
CMDEADLY

Make winning the cup mean something, sure it's awesome that I can get a team to the stanley cup and winning, but my problem with sports games is there is no incentive beyond that.

Have a prestige meter on every team. The more successful your team, the more people watch and enjoy your team. You win the cup, you get a bounce in your direction and the free agents on the market might find you a more desirable or less desirable depending on what they want.

Mention in the next season that you are the defending champions in commentary. Make it mean something to win the cup.

One of my wishes is having the NBC presentation is great, but I would love if you could make comments to the media. Like in Live the life, but say your guys are in a slump. Kind of like in baseball how the Red sox had lost 10 straight games, the gm came out and said there is no problem we will win, next thing you know morale boost 10 game winning streak. Now I'm not expecting things this drastic but I would love it.

Be able to meet with other Gm's and talk about potiential trades, or how they feel about the season, which players they are interested in those kind of things.

Finally my biggest wish is that we have Rivalries mean something more. I don't know exactly how they would do it, but have rivalry games have a certain intensitity to them and if they meet in the playoffs, let it show. Big hits the like.

CMDEADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 10:20 PM
NYIsles55

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDEADLY View Post
Finally my biggest wish is that we have Rivalries mean something more. I don't know exactly how they would do it, but have rivalry games have a certain intensitity to them and if they meet in the playoffs, let it show. Big hits the like.
I would love this. It would be cool to have this. I think it would be cool if rivalries can be created via several intense games. For example you get to the conference finals 2 or 3 times in a row and meet the same team (I'm gonna use Tampa because they always become good in GM mode) and beat them in 7 all 3 times. After this, you play them in the regular season and the crowd is as intense as it would be in the playoffs and be more physical than usual.

NYIsles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 12:26 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
To add to my previous post, teams don't update their trade block anywhere near frequently enough, and the trade value of assets isn't updated frequently enough.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 01:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Draft depth is the biggest issue.

They're pretty close for the first draft (with the latest updates). I generally view 3.5 stars as the cut off for a useful player. Rarely ever see a 3 star potential player break 80.

The issue being after the first two drafts you will pretty much never see a 3.5 red potential player after pick 40.

The first draft has quality throughout. You can get 4 star red potential players in the fourth round, and some high floor low ceiling guys late, but even it should have one or to "legit" players after round 5. They seem to know this is a "reasonable" starting level, but their draft class creation system never reaches this level of depth again.

This should be easy to do. look at draft histories. see how many players come out of each round, and make sure your draft class engine creates an adequate number of players.

There should always be almost 1-2 players for each of the back 4 rounds that develops into an NHL'r each season, and 1-2 of these players (4-8 players) should develope into an impact player (top 6)

that's my biggest peeve anyways.
This is due to a combination of two things:

1) They put an emphasis on having the authentic draft-eligible players in the first couple drafts. This is a good thing (ratings accuracy notwithstanding).

2) The algorithm the computer uses to fill the draft is based on the NFL and NBA models. This is where the problem lies.

The algorithm creates players at various skill levels and positions and adds them to the draft. This causes initial drafts (where the authentic players are also present) to have way more players and more talent than later drafts.

It works in games like NFL and NBA, where player development is more immediate and the development systems aren't in the games. But in NHL, many of the leagues from which players are drafted are in the game, and it takes years to get most players to the NHL club.

My solution: a simple change, really. Instead of creating players and inserting them into the draft, make the game pull the draft eligible players from the other leagues. Then during (after) the offseason, fill out the other leagues with new prospects (and then have them sign free agents as necessary).

This only requires minor changes to the offseason simulation algorithm and draft algorithm, and takes the game to a whole new level of authenticity. It opens the door for prospect and free agent stats, keeps the correct number of players and talent level in the draft, allows for greater variety in draft-eligible players, and even helps prevent some of the silly names (Horace Johansson from Japan, anyone?) by defining which region a player is from.

Old
06-19-2014, 05:09 PM
RealisticLeafsFan13
Rookie User

The mode needs to be better all around.

Draft + Prospect Development:

This one really bothers me. The drafts after the first two years are devoid of talent save the top 10. And even the first two drafts are thin on talent after round 3. I'm not expecting to pull a 4 star player out of the 7th round all the time, but there should be more depth and way more randomness, when it comes to drafting.

After the first two years, all I do is trade my 2 - 7 round picks for players because there is no point on keeping them. If there were more "diamonds in the rough" so to speak, I would be way less casual about trading late round picks. Now I'm not saying there should be Datsyuks and Lundqvists every year, but maybe a Brendan Gallagher or Anton Stralman type player. Also, you should be able to see the prospect you are drafting stats. When prospects are drafted should be based on how many points they put up, or how good is the player.

You should be able to send your scouts after individual players, and they could come up with a list or something with the prospects stats, plus there strengths and weaknesses.

For Example:

C. McDavid. H: 6' W: 185 lb
GP-53 G-37 A-84 PM-21 +/-26
Good Hands, Great Vision, Very Good Shot, Fantastic Passer
Could work on 2-way game, Small, Be stronger

This would help determine who you should be after in the draft. Also, all GM's should have each prospect valued differently. (Exceptions of course, exp: McDavid) But if I have the 8th overall pick, I might decide to draft so and so with said pick, while another GM may think that the player wasn't worth that, giving him less value if I say tried to trade him.

Anyways that's all I have for now. Feel free to add to what I think.

RealisticLeafsFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Screeeeech

vCash: 450
What I mean't with the whole free agency thing is that you should be able to scout free agents all year long. Like have a free agent emu just like the scouting assignment menu. Maybe there is a 24 year old tearing up the SHL and you want to sign him, but you don't know what your getting until you scout him and find out a rough estimation of his potential (like the draft). And yes, I think free agency should be near the top. One team shouldn't be able to sign all the prospects. If you give a prospect the maximum two-way contract, he's guaranteed to sign with you. Same thing goes for any other free agent, if you give him $500k more than his asking price, there is a 95% chance he's going to sign with you.

Screeeeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 04:39 AM
v Wesco v
O LazZy T

Small change that could make a big difference to an extent, it'd be cool for you to pick the direction of your team season to season, either tell the "owner" that you would like to rebuild for 'X' amount of years and plan to make the finals in year 'Y' or something similar..

v Wesco v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 08:14 PM
The Rage Kage

Quote:
Originally Posted by v Wesco v View Post
Small change that could make a big difference to an extent, it'd be cool for you to pick the direction of your team season to season, either tell the "owner" that you would like to rebuild for 'X' amount of years and plan to make the finals in year 'Y' or something similar..
That's something I was thinking about recently, like with Calgary, a team that just started a rebuild, the owner now wants me to start winning immediately. Or if say Crosby retires and you aren't any good anymore you should be able to tell the owner a rebuild would be the best plan.

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Quack

ECHL teams would be cool, the rights can't be that much money and it always bugs me when I have like 10 guys on my AHL team not playing.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2014, 09:46 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
ECHL teams would be cool, the rights can't be that much money and it always bugs me when I have like 10 guys on my AHL team not playing.
My beer league team licenses an ECHL logo and it is literally free - but I assume it wouldn't be if we sold any logo products.

Old
06-26-2014, 11:07 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Would be nice if the CPU GMs had any long-term planning skills to speak of. As it is, you can sign your expendable players to reasonable salary but crazy term and completely handcuff other teams through trade.

Old
06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Would be nice if the CPU GMs had any long-term planning skills to speak of. As it is, you can sign your expendable players to reasonable salary but crazy term and completely handcuff other teams through trade.
You mean one of Toews OR Kane reaching free agency *every single time* isn't long-term planning...?

Old
06-28-2014, 02:33 PM
6 Karlsson 5

The drafting/development system needs to change if a player isn't above 3 1/2 stars he is pretty much useless. They should add more variations to the potential of players
My idea is instead of having it out of 5 stars have it out of 10
So say soemthing like
10 stars = truly elite player 92 ovr +
9.5 stars = superstar player 90-92 ovr
9.0 stars = star player 88-90 ovr
And so on....
Then they could have a floor and a ceiling for each prosect as well as 1-5 scale to predict probability
So for example say your team has the 15th pick in the draft and you are choosing between player x or y
Player x
Potential : 4.0 - 8.0
Chance of success : 2.5

Player y
Potential : 6.0-7.0
Chance of success : 2

player x has more upside but he only has only has 50% chance of reaching that
Player y is guaranteed to be a 3rd/4th liner but his upside is limited
So you have to pick between a safe pick or a boom/bust pick

I think this system allows for more variations of prospect ratings and allows for picks in the 2nd round and beyond to potentially mean something

6 Karlsson 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 10:11 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Any improvements to the scouting/drafting system hinge on player development being taken off rails; otherwise they're meaningless.

Old
06-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Tak7

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't really have a problem with the potential / development system in the game.

The tweaks I would make though, include:

1) Make the draft deeper; outside of the first 2 years, picks beyond the 1st round are useless and there's absolutely no value in keeping them.

2) Allow for teams to be able to develop specific aspects / categories of players. Did you draft that offensive Dman who isn't that great defensively. Give us the option to, at the very least try, and improve his defensive category.

Old
06-30-2014, 12:38 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't really have a problem with the potential / development system in the game.

The tweaks I would make though, include:

1) Make the draft deeper; outside of the first 2 years, picks beyond the 1st round are useless and there's absolutely no value in keeping them.

2) Allow for teams to be able to develop specific aspects / categories of players. Did you draft that offensive Dman who isn't that great defensively. Give us the option to, at the very least try, and improve his defensive category.
Definitely not how I feel about it, I'll give you that

My biggest problem with it is that it's predetermined. Get rid of that and IMO it makes everything else better, while opening options to expand in the future.

And yeah, #2 would be nice.

Old
06-30-2014, 02:14 PM
you Giroux it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radko Gudas View Post
The stupidity of other GM's. Once I traded a RFA player with qualifying offer to team with like 1m room in their cap. The problem was that the player wanted 8 million. So I did trade him but I still realized that it was stupid and too easy.
This morning I qualified a guy that wanted a 11m+ contract, but I only had about 2 in space. Then NJ offersheeted him to a 13m+ contract and I just said thank you and took the 4 1st rounders. Their team is currently terrible and that player is not going to put them over the top

you Giroux it for me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Captain Nutjob
Nothing to see here

vCash: 557
In addition to the awards, I'd like to see All-Star and All-Rookie teams. Just a small thing, but it would be nice to see.

Captain Nutjob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nutjob View Post
In addition to the awards, I'd like to see All-Star and All-Rookie teams. Just a small thing, but it would be nice to see.
Would also be nice if the player profile kept a log or record of all their personal accomplishment like Madden does. Every personal award, All star appearence etc. Its kind of nice when in FA in Madden as you can see what type of player they have been and how they have performed individually.

I agree that the drafts need more depth though or at least a few players scattered in the 3rd and 4th that amount to something. I am getting sick of trading all my picks away or hitting autodraft after the second round and then trading all the drafted unsigned 2-3 star players during FA for 3rds and 4ths.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote